Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What mmo would you be playing if more folks we're playing it?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by EndDream

Originally posted by Sovrath

I can't comprehend playing an MMO with no population regardless of how good it is. Whats the point?

Well, my position is that if there are people who dont' mind a small population (me) but are willing to help others AND if there are more people like that then evenutally people will join the game, meet good people who are willing to help and be there for them and then more and more people will join and build on that community.

It's not for everyone but I think it's a valid way to play and help build community.

If you are happy more power to you.

well, I suppose I am.

but you know, if people want help in Vanguard then I'm there. I can schedule time to help people out.

the offer is there and I check this site every day.

also LOTRO.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

I can't comprehend playing an MMO with no population regardless of how good it is. Whats the point?

Well, my position is that if there are people who dont' mind a small population (me) but are willing to help others AND if there are more people like that then evenutally people will join the game, meet good people who are willing to help and be there for them and then more and more people will join and build on that community.

It's not for everyone but I think it's a valid way to play and help build community.

If you are happy more power to you.

Think End Dream is a little jealous ;)

Chins

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I kinda love it when people try to defend games with a low population like Vanguard.  People are like, "Oh, Vanguard's low population is NOT an issue.  in fact, I've been seeing more and more people log in every day, and I never have trouble finding groups.  You just have to use the player search feature.  Look up some players, ask them if they need help with something and become friends with them.  Maybe a week from now, you guys can be best friends and you can finally run that dungeon you've been wanting to check out.  See, no problem at all!"

Sorry, that's just stupid considering I can just log into WoW, hit "i" then do barrel rolls above Stormwind for 20 minutes before automatically being placed into a full group.  I like Vanguard better than WoW, but it's due to WoW's heavy population, it's far easier to do what you want immediately and to have fun in Blizzard's game.  Of course, regular content updates help too.

• tomacontomacon Member UncommonPosts: 18

EQ1 Cause the only reason i left after going back so many times, Is that there's no one left playing!! I mean yeah soloing is good when you wanna do it, but to have to do it is another story. Players do make the game what it is or great. I agree with one of the post i saw if i wanted to play a game by myself i would play single player games.

• theedge767theedge767 Member Posts: 14

Im just quoting this part because I am not going back over all the lame posts you made. I just really have to  say as an outside voice in this thread , this is  coming from a free thinker , yes, yes I am truly a free thinker . You really do come across as simpleton trying really hard to sound prophetic and wise . I just gotta say wow, my eyes are bleeding trying to read through your useless garbage .

People will play or not , whatever thier reason.  If they want to group with alot of people then they will play more populated games . If they dont care they will choose whatever game they want to play. 

I for one would be playing fallen earth  and or Vanguard myself  ( on a regular basis).

For the record I like grouping with alot of different people to challenge my skill level . I enjoy meeting new people in game , its great its why I play mmos and not rpgs . If a game was truly great and to my utmost fancy I would play it population or not However I would probably play it part time as I do with the above mentioned games neither of which I am subbed to atm .

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I kinda love it when people try to defend games with a low population like Vanguard.  People are like, "Oh, Vanguard's low population is NOT an issue.  in fact, I've been seeing more and more people log in every day, and I never have trouble finding groups.  You just have to use the player search feature.  Look up some players, ask them if they need help with something and become friends with them.  Maybe a week from now, you guys can be best friends and you can finally run that dungeon you've been wanting to check out.  See, no problem at all!"

Sorry, that's just stupid considering I can just log into WoW, hit "i" then do barrel rolls above Stormwind for 20 minutes before automatically being placed into a full group.  I like Vanguard better than WoW, but it's due to WoW's heavy population, it's far easier to do what you want immediately and to have fun in Blizzard's game.  Of course, regular content updates help too.

I would say Vanguard's population is an issue.

As has been shown, most people want to get into the game, get into group quickly and "have at it".

I get that.

And that is why Vanguard has issues. lol, well, "that is one reason why vanguard has issues".

But its issues don't bother me. And, if more players who are not bothered by its issues play then eventually it will attract more players.

Though truth be told, even with Sony's admission that they are going to give it two updates the game is still going to have a low population.

look I played wow. I started the very first day the servers opened. My character is somewhere in the mid 30's. I just can't stay with the game, population or no population.

I find the game play fun for very short stints and then I lose interest. Yet for me, in Vanguard for instance (or lotro at this moment - I'm resting... oops and now killed because I'm writing posts) I can just set out and explore and lose a few hours just messing around. It's fun for me. And I do help new players get off the island. that's also kind of fun.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by theedge767

Im just quoting this part because I am not going back over all the lame posts you made. I just really have to  say as an outside voice in this thread , this is  coming from a free thinker , yes, yes I am truly a free thinker . You really do come across as simpleton trying really hard to sound prophetic and wise . I just gotta say wow, my eyes are bleeding trying to read through your useless garbage .

People will play or not , whatever thier reason.  If they want to group with alot of people then they will play more populated games . If they dont care they will choose whatever game they want to play. 

I for one would be playing fallen earth  and or Vanguard myself  ( on a regular basis).

For the record I like grouping with alot of different people to challenge my skill level . I enjoy meeting new people in game , its great its why I play mmos and not rpgs . If a game was truly great and to my utmost fancy I would play it population or not However I would probably play it part time as I do with the above mentioned games neither of which I am subbed to atm .

Hey if you don't find value in the post then that's your prerogative. I meant it. You don't believe it or find it comes from "a simpleton" then that's "your opinion".

• zoomcityzoomcity Member UncommonPosts: 9

Its interesting reading this thread as i too would have loved Vanguard to be a success.

The crafting was engaging, the diplomacy card game thing was a nice addition to the game, even if it got boring after a while. Its a shame it was so buggy, and its very rare that I return to an MMO once the sub has been cancelled.

What games would I actually return to..

My first ever MMO - UO, loved that game, played in '98 on a dial up modem, and boy did my computer struggle with it but it didnt matter cos it was a graphical online game (compared to the text based ones i had played since about '96). I think if they ever did a new UO sticking to the core sandbox features that the original did so well, it would be a massive hit.

DAoC - my first 3D MMO, made by Mythic Entertainment, who's text based games i had been playing since '96 (Dragon's Gate and Darkness Falls for those who care). Had the best PvP going, and really made me love it (compared to UO where i always ran like heck from the red PKers). Stopped playing around ToA time..

Wish - never got out of closed Beta - a MASSIVE shame. For those who have never even heard the name, it was (like EVE) a single shard MMO. It was ALL about live content. Mobs didnt just respawn in the same spot continually forever.. Merchants ran out of gold if too many people sold stuff to them without anyone buying anything. There was an in game newspaper written by GMs featuring real players, and what happened in the world the day before. There was a moving warfront in the north of the map, like a rift of sorts which lead to the underworld (exact lore escapes me) but the creatures would come out, and occupy villages and push the players back etc.. and players had to group up to drive them backwards. Anyway.. for me that was the MMO with the most potential ever.

For now, I think ill stick to EVE and see how SW:TOR turns out and get that a few months after launch if all is going well.

Gareth / Morgal

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109

Mebbe Asherons Call, but i am not so sure. THere is a reason i stopped playing the games i played, so not sure it would really be worth investing time in again.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

SWG-PreCU.

• CyrclezCyrclez Member UncommonPosts: 12

Out of boredom I tallied every vote up (including multiples).  Percentages are rough.

Vanguard - 33 (47.2%)

Dark Age of Camelot - 5 (7.1%)

Asherons Call - 4 (5.7%)

Shadowbane - 3 (4.3%)

Ultima Online - 3 (4.3%)

Lineage 2 - 2 (2.8%)

PlanetSide - 2 (2.8%)

EverQuest 1 - 2 (2.8%)

Star Wars Galaxies - 2 (2.8%)

Horizons - 1 (1.4%)

Rose Online - 1 (1.4%)

Ragnarok Online - 1 (1.4%)

Champions Online - 1 (1.4%)

Final Fantasy XI - 1 (1.4%)

Anarchy Online - 1 (1.4%)

Ryzom - 1 (1.4%)

Necron - 1 (1.4%)

Alganon - 1 (1.4%)

Vendetta Online - 1 (1.4%)

Ashen Empires - 1 (1.4%)

Istaria - 1 (1.4%)

Fallen Earth - 1(1.4%)

Pirates of the Burning Sea - 1 (1.4%)

Total Votes - 70

• Gregross111Gregross111 Member Posts: 52

Daoc is alive as well , and im not talking about live servers lol , Those of you who are smart will know what i mean. 

Id vote for Vanguard if it had anyform of Mass PVP/RVR , but it doesnt that is why SOE just scrapped it and moved on pretty much , they didnt want to devote the time and effort to expand it plus vanguard was alittle guady and overwhelming for the WOW generation so it will probably stay dead. 

• Gregross111Gregross111 Member Posts: 52

and who the hell voted for Horizons?!?!?!?

we must find this person and show them the way of real MMOs and quality products , not half assed , 10 years behind junk that for some reason is still around even though there are so many other games out there that are just far and beyond this game...

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

I'd be playing Jumpgate if more than five people were logged in concurrently. Seriously, last I checked a couple of years back, you could count the number of players online on one hand.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• baguettebaguette Member Posts: 33

chalk in another vote for vanguard. too bad sony doesnt really ever listen to the player base.. ever.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

Of those that are still live but with low pop, Vanguard without a doubt. 

That's the sad thing about MMOs, once they go into a spiral of decline pop-wise, they're no fun to play (unless you're just with a group of friends).  Part of the fun of playing an MMO is to see other people playing so that the world feels alive.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Another shout for Vanguard.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Vanguard

I self identify as a monkey.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Everyone always says they would play Vanguard if it had enough population, myself included. It's funny because if everyone did that it would be populated!

I'd have to add.

I'd play Vanguard as it is now.

Vanguard was a PITA-game when it released back in 2007 (?). You had no quick travel at all, no flying mounts till super-endgame, if you wanted to play with friends you had to do an hour-long cross country through highlevel mob-areas.

Dungeons were hard as nails and the world was so big you never ever got a working and level in-range group setup except for a select few "agreed upon as doable" dungeons on peak hours.

You fell through the world and lost all your stuff, needed to summon your stone and it suffer a huge penalty for doing nothing wrong.

You disconnected randomly and lost all your stuff, needed to...

Skills were broken or would not fire, mobs would aggro through walls and come for you (at the 3 hrs mark in a dungeon you cannot just enter again and continue)...

That's all pretty much fixed now, the game got more predictable (it's still hard, but hard and fair, formerly it was nightmarishly unfair)  but the population won't come back. Unfortunate, but in this case, onle the devs are to blame for releasing a incoherent pile of crap and betting on a reflux while fixing it...

M

• AarinakAarinak Member UncommonPosts: 69

Vanguard as well, if it got some dev love.

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

I would be playing Vanguard, if there were more people and more content updates.

• AarinakAarinak Member UncommonPosts: 69

P.S. I addressed Smed and SOE by name in a forum topic about this issue on the Station official forums. Please read it and reply to it so we can get the attention of the devs! It can be found here: http://forums.station.sony.com/station/posts/list.m?topic_id=11500027460

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

The Chronicles of SPellborn.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

Mostly likely DAOC.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

AC2, shut down for some reason when it had a larger pop that AC1. Would still be playing it if they hadnt done it wrong. I still think it's better than all the junk we have right now.. and I have tried them all for the most part. The all have something nice to offer. just not as much as AC2 had for me.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.