Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think the new Conan movie will boost AoC player base?

Comments

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

Originally posted by lathaan

lol, i have no idea whats that tortage-problem you all got. while its a nice area, the game gets better afterwards by far. endgame in AoC (kithai dungeons and raids) are by far the best in actual mmo's. and we dont have to discuss about the gfx and combat system beeing superior for the next ten years of gaming. We have 2-3 new members in the guild per day atm (since ftp). if a fraction of them stays we got enough players to go on for the next 3 years. with only crap and the same crap in the pipeline of the industry, its AoC and TSW for some years. FC>all ;)

Yes, Tortage is really only a microcosm of the entire game. It is a hub for the rest of the dungeons and zones of the starter area much like Old Tarantia is a hub for the game proper. To declare Tortage is the best AoC has to offer is silly. In reality it is only a small sample. Although well representative of what  the game play in general is all about, in scope and content can't compare to what the game delivers after level 20.

And that is as things stand today. This game is really on a roll, evolving at a steam engine's pace in regards to both gameplay and game content. In the year since I first logged on I have seen the game progress in a very satisfying way. Baring any major missteps by the game director, the future of AoC is looking bright!

As far as the new Conan movie, I think it will eclipse the previous movies and Momoa will set a new standard for a screen adaptation of Howard's Conan. I also believe there will be at least one sequel made as a spin off from this successful offering. Those are  my predictions, we will see how things pan out in about a month :)   

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• ToolfanToolfan Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by LuckyDucky

As far as the new Conan movie, I think it will eclipse the previous movies and Momoa will set a new standard for a screen adaptation of Howard's Conan. I also believe there will be at least one sequel made as a spin off from this successful offering. Those are  my predictions, we will see how things pan out in about a month :)   

I disagree. Personally I think the movie will be a flop.

Unfortunately nobody knows who Jason Momoa is. When the original conan came out James Earl Jones was already an established master of the craft at acting. So was Max von Sydow. Arnold was a household name and John Millius the director was known for writing Acopolypse Now.

This matters because Conan has a cult following. Nobody will see the new movie unless they are already fans of the Conan franchise.

The movie will have to get a 5 star review from critics to get people who aren't familiar with Conan into the theaters. From the trailers I've seen it looks like it would have been Uwe Bol's best movie. Which isn't saying much.

I'll still be seeing though. Probably on opening day. Guarantee I'll be 1 of maybe 15 people in the theatre to see it.

• TokyojoeTokyojoe Member Posts: 49

Are movie companies so devoid of creativity, originality, and a work ethic that they are unable to do more than churn out a continuous stream of remakes of Baby Boomer era movies which replace talent with computer generated effects? I know I don't want to see "Planet Of The Apes" , "Conan", "Oceans Eleven", and the long list of recent remakes instead of originals.   By the way,even when "Planet Of The Apes" was released, people were pretty sick of them after the fith movie in the series or so; about when the apes started wearing suits,carrying briefcases, and got jobs in offices. As for "Conan", I suspect it is a fatal flaw to remake a move that was more about Arnold playing the title role than the story. If anything this remake may harm AOC. Or have zero effect.

I may know the least here,but I am the loudest about what I do know.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I wouldn't be surprised to see a small subscription bubble from the movie's release.

If marketed, maybe even a fairly substantial one.

The question is, has AoC got their game together well enough to hold onto the new subs when they arrive?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by Toolfan

Unfortunately nobody knows who Jason Momoa is. When the original conan came out James Earl Jones was already an established master of the craft at acting. So was Max von Sydow. Arnold was a household name and John Millius the director was known for writing Acopolypse Now.

This matters because Conan has a cult following. Nobody will see the new movie unless they are already fans of the Conan franchise.

The movie will have to get a 5 star review from critics to get people who aren't familiar with Conan into the theaters. From the trailers I've seen it looks like it would have been Uwe Bol's best movie. Which isn't saying much.

I'll still be seeing though. Probably on opening day. Guarantee I'll be 1 of maybe 15 people in the theatre to see it.

Off topic:

To say Arnold was a house hold name when Conan was release is a huge stretch, let’s look at the movies he released up to Conan the Barbarian:

1980 The Jayne Mansfield Story (TV movie)

Mickey Hargitay

1979 Scavenger Hunt

Lars

1977 The San Pedro Beach Bums (TV series)

Muscleman

Lifting Is My Life (1977) … Muscleman

1977 The Streets of San Francisco (TV series)

Josef Schmidt

Dead Lift (1977) … Josef Schmidt

1976 Stay Hungry

Joe Santo

1974 Happy Anniversary and Goodbye (TV movie)

Rico

1973 The Long Goodbye

Hood in Augustine's Office (uncredited)

His biggest movie before Conan would be the Villain and he really did not even talk in it. So to say he would be a house hold name would be very much stretching the truth, in fact his first major blockbuster did not happen for another four years after Conan the barbarian and that was Terminator in 1984. Jason Momoa is about as much of a house hold name as Arnold was when he made Conan the Barbarian.  AH but who cares, believe what you want to believe about Arnold’s career.

On topic: If the movie does well I could see the game numbers increasing because of it.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Toolfan

Unfortunately nobody knows who Jason Momoa is. When the original Conan came out James Earl Jones was already an established master of the craft at acting. So was Max von Sydow. Arnold was a household name and John Millius the director was known for writing Apocalypse Now.

Well some folks know who Jason Momoa is.  He is a two bit actor at best.  All I have to do is point at Star Gate Atlantis.  Yes it had 4 seasons, It was a miserable show, almost as bad as Stargate Univers.  His acting if you could call it acting was second rate at best. I know that some folks will go hey he  did that show on called Games of Thrones  it lasted 10 episodes ten and only on HBO I have yet to see them, so I can only hope his 2nd rate acting skills are better than what they were in SGA.  I am like this is the idiot actor they want doing Conan??  I have to question why pick a no-name,  I guess so they can pay him 1/2 of what the going rate is for a real actor.   Personally I will pass on the new Conan movie as I have no faith in them doing the remake right.

Oh and if you want to take a look at this guys checkered past here is a list of what he has done, not very impressive.

Baywatch

Jason Ioane

(1999–2001)

Baywatch: Hawaiian Wedding

Jason Ioane

Tempted

Kala

Johnson Family Vacation

Navarro

North Shore

Frankie Seau

(2004–05)

Stargate Atlantis

Ronon Dex

(2005–09)

The Game

Roman

(2009)

Game of Thrones

Khal Drogo

(10 episodes
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Depends on how succesful movie will be.

But unless it is a big hit , increase in playerbase won't be so big and propably it won't last long.

Of course this is speculation only.

As for Jason Momoa in Game of Thrones. He did good job though his role haven't required big acting skills. He was not a main character as well, he is some episodes had quite a big coverage but he was not one of main character imho.

Originally posted by erictlewis

Well some folks know who Jason Momoa is.  He is a two bit actor at best.  All I have to do is point at Star Gate Atlantis.  Yes it had 4 seasons, It was a miserable show, almost as bad as Stargate Univers.  His acting if you could call it acting was second rate at best. I know that some folks will go hey he  did that show on called Games of Thrones  it lasted 10 episodes ten and only on HBO I have yet to see them, so I can only hope his 2nd rate acting skills are better than what they were in SGA.  I am like this is the idiot actor they want doing Conan??

Lest we forget the Governator's credits before doing Conan:

1979 Scavenger Hunt

1977 The San Pedro Beach Bums (TV series 1 episode)

1977 The Streets of San Francisco (TV series 1 episode)

That's a handful of "D" movies and two one-shots.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Icewhite

Well some folks know who Jason Momoa is.  He is a two bit actor at best.  All I have to do is point at Star Gate Atlantis.  Yes it had 4 seasons, It was a miserable show, almost as bad as Stargate Univers.  His acting if you could call it acting was second rate at best. I know that some folks will go hey he  did that show on called Games of Thrones  it lasted 10 episodes ten and only on HBO I have yet to see them, so I can only hope his 2nd rate acting skills are better than what they were in SGA.  I am like this is the idiot actor they want doing Conan??

Lest we forget the Governator's credits before doing Conan:

1979 Scavenger Hunt

1977 The San Pedro Beach Bums (TV series 1 episode)

1977 The Streets of San Francisco (TV series 1 episode)

That's a handful of "D" movies and two one-shots.

Arnold at the time was a body building champion.  Almost everybody knew who he was.   Lets face it Arnold was not hired for his acting he was hired for the body type, something that this new guy can only hope to be, in  fact hes never one one title in that area that I am aware of.

Arnold at the time was a body building champion.  Almost everybody knew who he was.   Lets face it Arnold was not hired for his acting he was hired for the body type, something that this new guy can only hope to be, in  fact hes never one one title in that area that I am aware of.

So your criteria for "good" actors is body-building titles?

Whoof, there's gonna be a new steroid scandal in Hollywood.

• RavenspenRavenspen Member UncommonPosts: 104
    1) game of thrones is probably the single hotest new show of the year. 10 episodes is a season, not the run of the show. In fact they are set to start filming the next season. Certainly not a B list role.

As to population, AoC has been inudated with new players. The question is becoming can the chat servers handle the increased load. There will probably be a small bump with the movie if they tie it in well, but I fear the movie will likely be bad. New quest areas are set to release though with movie tie ins.
  • LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Game of Thrones

Khal Drogo

(10 episodes

To most movie goers this is the only one that is going to matter, and he actually did a decent job in it, and the show has a large following and has been well recived. 

On topic - It doesn't matter how the movie does, this will bring business AoC's way how much will be more about how prepared the game is for new players. 

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

What? When did Mr. Universe become mainstream so everyone knows who wins it. I am willing to bet you $100 I could go to the local mall here and ask 5 people who the current Mr. Universe is and that they would not know. In fact can you name him without using google? Nice try dude, but you are just talking out your backside now!

By the way here is the current Mr. Universe where you right without using google?

• nihcenihce Member Posts: 539

Lots of stupid points :

a.) Apocalypse Now : another cult movie. That is not mainstream my dear friend, same as Conan wasn't

b.) Jason Momoa is 100 times better actor than Arnie ever was (hell ... I am 10 times better and i have never acted in my life). Jason did extremely well in Game of Thrones, which is the hottest series in last few years. 

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I think it would obviously lead to an increase in the number of people trying the game, but probably not a significant number of  them will stick around.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Figure I'll go ahead and ask this since it's something I've been curious about, what is the music like in this movie (that is known anyways)?

I remember the music in the older Conan movies being absolutely amazing. But I saw a preview for this and if I'm not mistaken, it was playing music by Hollywood's Dead?

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

As far as needing household name actors to make a decent movie, I can think of several movies I have seen  over the years that  at the time were played by relatively unknowns. I remember seeing the Road Warrior in theaters and  loving it although I never heard of Mel Gibson. I saw the first Pirates of the Caribbean and had never heard of Johnny Depp. Then for an extreme example there is Star Wars, no one had ever heard of anyone involved in that movie when it released.

I am not much of a movie buff, really more into gaming, but I have seen movies I enjoyed that didn't feature big name Hollywood stars. The fact that this latest Conan doesn't feature any doesn't put me off at all. I say I think it will eclipse Arnie's offerings because I don't think a movie has to stretch very far to accomplish that. I see no reason why Momoa and the supporting cast cannot do at least as well. I have been following the movie on the Conan movie blog for several months and I am persuaded that those involved in making the movie took it seriously, and did their best to produce a Conan movie worthy of Howard's stories.

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

I think it is too late. even a movie, people still won't know the game even exists.

• ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282

To be honest, I viewed the trailer for the new Conan movie and in my opinion it looks terrible. It might get people excited to try the game but will the game keep the new players interested. And that's my problem with the game, it doesn't interest me enough to keep playing it. It's F2P now and I don't want to log in.

Originally posted by Zolgar

Figure I'll go ahead and ask this since it's something I've been curious about, what is the music like in this movie (that is known anyways)?

I remember the music in the older Conan movies being absolutely amazing. But I saw a preview for this and if I'm not mistaken, it was playing music by Hollywood's Dead?

Here is a link to some  actual footage from an early part of the movie. http://www.conanthebarbarianin3d.com/

It features Conan as a youth, not Momoa. There is no modern music in the movie, no rock or heavy metal or anything like that. All  the trailers were produced by a  separate PR department, and they used whatever music they felt would promote the movie.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

The new Conan movie looks like B-production, so I would think - no.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Originally posted by Zolgar

I loved the music in the Arnold Conan movies.  Lots of great musical themes and they really 'fir' the movie well.  I would doubt that the old movies would be nearly as good without the music.

And doesn't Arnold owe us a third Conan movie?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DarthViousDarthVious Member Posts: 39

Depending on if their marketing executives are worth a -explicit-, then they could really take advantage of the marketing possibilities. There is always a chance of some influx due to a movie, concert, comercial, ect ect. type of promotions. So to answer the direct question with a direct answer, then its a painful yes. However, do I believe that the movie will bring a substantial increase, well no. 

Darth Vious

-Dextera Imperium-
    http://dexteraimperium.com

• fionanshrekfionanshrek Member Posts: 104

I think it's a given that it will see a spike in players around the movies release especially since people will be able to play it for free but unfortunately I doubt that spike will be anything meaningful as in once the movie hits the dollar theatres population will probably return to where it was pre movie release.

• DarthViousDarthVious Member Posts: 39

As far as needing household name actors to make a decent movie, I can think of several movies I have seen  over the years that  at the time were played by relatively unknowns. I remember seeing the Road Warrior in theaters and  loving it although I never heard of Mel Gibson. I saw the first Pirates of the Caribbean and had never heard of Johnny Depp. Then for an extreme example there is Star Wars, no one had ever heard of anyone involved in that movie when it released.

I am not much of a movie buff, really more into gaming, but I have seen movies I enjoyed that didn't feature big name Hollywood stars. The fact that this latest Conan doesn't feature any doesn't put me off at all. I say I think it will eclipse Arnie's offerings because I don't think a movie has to stretch very far to accomplish that. I see no reason why Momoa and the supporting cast cannot do at least as well. I have been following the movie on the Conan movie blog for several months and I am persuaded that those involved in making the movie took it seriously, and did their best to produce a Conan movie worthy of Howard's stories.

I agree with all of this. Jason Momoa did an excellent job as Kahl Drogo in the series Game of Thrones, which is simply an amazing HBO series. I for one, was surprised to be him on the "Big Screen" and I pretty much wanted to see it because of his acting abilities in Game of Thrones.  As for the supporting cast and overall story line? Who knows for certain. But as you said in the rest of your post, there are tons of mega hits out there that had actors in which people never heard about before. I for one look forward to seeing it. Maybe not in 3d.

Darth Vious

-Dextera Imperium-
    http://dexteraimperium.com