Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BF3 Alpha Testing - Some Gouge

WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Just read about some new tidbits of information about BF3.

A few things that I think will add wonderfully to the title.

1.  Prone position is back in the BF series.  Bad Company 2 may not have had it, and it was still present in the older BF2 title, but it's nice to see DICE putting it back in the franchise.  There's pros and cons to all positions, and the removal of prone in BFBC2 was idiotic.

2.  Tweaks to accuracy and stability for a time after diving to the deck.  I love BF2.  I really do.  But one of the stupidest things that was possible in the game was running, diving to the deck and blazing away and actually reliably hitting someone.  Dropping to the prone, especially hastilly and trying to engage is a very jarring experience.  It should've been tweaked to get a massive hit in accuracy with BF2 but at least we see DICE getting smart about it (finally) for BF3.

3.  Suppression effects when you're getting shot at.  This, IMO, is a HUGE plus.  Gives more oomph to the real purpose of MGs / LMGs / SAWs.  Suppressing the enemy is a major function of such weapons, and the SAW-type of weapons?  That is their only purpose for the fire team and squad levels that they're issued at.  It's not about doing a Hollywood spray and pray and watch dozens of enemies drop.  It's about throwing bullets at the enemy to make them worry about survival and affecting their ability to properly react.  Also, for the Support / MG users, you can finally be rewarded for doing your job for suppressing the enemy.  The older titles, along with other FPS titles, rewarded only the killing shot, and that meant the MGunners oftenly didn't get the credit they deserve for keeping the enemy's heads down.  What they're doing for BF3 isn't pefect, but it's a nice step in the right direction.

Getting more excited about the title! image

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Uh oh.  I have a feeling its going to come out and a bunch of CoD fanboys are going to play and then come back and RAGE.  I just hope Dice doesnt listen to them.  What they are doing with BF3 is giving me some confidence in the online FPS genre.  BF2 was good but feels dated to me.  I've decided to not buy any more CoD games because they are terrible games that seem to just repeat what the previous one is doing and charge full price for it.  

Also, the new DICE engine is beautiful.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by marinrider

Uh oh.  I have a feeling its going to come out and a bunch of CoD fanboys are going to play and then come back and RAGE.  I just hope Dice doesnt listen to them.  What they are doing with BF3 is giving me some confidence in the online FPS genre.  BF2 was good but feels dated to me.  I've decided to not buy any more CoD games because they are terrible games that seem to just repeat what the previous one is doing and charge full price for it.  

Also, the new DICE engine is beautiful.

I was in an electronics store and one of the monitors were showing the BF3 previews.  Actually sat there watching them all.  And I NEVER watch previews for any games.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by WarmakerThere's pros and cons to all positions, and the removal of prone in BFBC2 was idiotic.

The last thing BC2 needed was prone, theres enough snipers already thank you, dont need to makr them impissble  ot see too.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by WarmakerThere's pros and cons to all positions, and the removal of prone in BFBC2 was idiotic.

The last thing BC2 needed was prone, theres enough snipers already thank you, dont need to makr them impissble  ot see too.

Right, because firing a high powered rifle standing over a long distance is advisable. 

Cover and concealment are key to a firefight as is stability. 

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Not the sniper's problem if unpatient fools like to run around all the time exposed and caring never to use cover & concealment.

Impatient, ADHD laden fools are a sniper's wet dream.

Edit to add:  With the prone position in a FPS, you have more options because of that 3rd form of position and movement.  To slowly and carefully move from cover to cover to avoid fire and easy detection, especially with low walls (and taking fire from higher elevated shooters) and little cover... because that rock little rock may be the only thing saving your bacon for a scant few more seconds.  Prone positions also naturally present smaller silhouettes.  Something to be mindful of on offense or defense regardless of terrain and terrain density.

In short, there's more options, more things to look out for.

You need to pay more attention to your surroundings, because a sniper, rifleman, MGunner in the prone behind some cover and concealment but in less dense cover than an obvious place like a building is something to consider.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

NDA is still in effect, so no opinions or details may be posted at this time, not even in hinting/roundabout ways.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

I usually slink around the map borders looking for snipers so I can knife them while they are still looking around for people... its a funny feeling.....

Originally posted by firefly2003

I usually slink around the map borders looking for snipers so I can knife them while they are still looking around for people... its a funny feeling.....

It's a fine and dandy way of countering them, but do take heed the main BF franchise (not Bad Company) are pretty large maps by themselves.  Not to mention worrying about vehicles.

Lots of stuff to worry about in BF games and no "class" has it worry free.  You'll always feel vulnerable in someway, regardless if you're with a squad, an anti-tank guy laying in ambush for enemy armor, a sniper out somewhere, or even a crewman / passenger in the myriad of vehicles in the game.  Someone out there has your number image