Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New mmo poll ask what genre you want it be in new generation mmo's

GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

And what do people choose.

Fantasy and syfy is is beyond me i realy dont understand why people want the 2 genres thats all ready for more then decade?

Why not western or vampires for example?

So we never break out of the so familiar fantasy mold.

We need something new kids not the same shit over and over again we had that for past 14YEARS ok.

I choose western and would also love to see a vampire vs lycan mmo ala underworld style.

Comments

• thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

Monkey tennis MMO would be awesome imo.  You play a monkey, and defeat your opponents in epic bouts of tennis.  The long arms would help, perhaps they would grow with levels. 

Chins

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

cavemen and dinosaurs?

Bee world? Insect world.

Spaceship online , a world inside a spaceship?

Buffy the vampire slayer online...... be the chosen one

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Westerns are more suited to the single player aspect of games and Vampires are very limited. SciFi and Fantasy (which vampires would fall under) cover such vast possibilities that they give room for unlimted products. The two you mentioned don't.

technically vampire world can be broad like Trueblood is..... werewolves, witches, sewrial killers, demons, etc.

Harry Potter world?

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

theres no poll

but id like to do something like western / sci-fi ..mix it together like the movie cowboys vrs aliens

wild western wasteland fights to take control of diff types of lands and various diff kind of aliens out to rid humans among diff alien races...humans reverse engineer the alien tech. and use it aginst them lol

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

While I understand that there have been quite a few scifi MMOs over the past. There haven't been NEARLY as many of them as there have been Fantasy. Tbh I think it's completely reasonable for them to keep making scifi MMOs for quite some time now. As for Fantasy, it's a common setting because so many people are into it. If, for instance, developers knew for a fact that a vampire MMO would be a great success, I can bet they would go for it. But considering that there haven't really been many (if at all), not many people are willing to take the chance. But I agree, if they DID make one...I'd definitely give it a shot. Sounds good to me.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Groovydutch

And what do people choose.

Fantasy and syfy is is beyond me i realy dont understand why people want the 2 genres thats all ready for more then decade?

Why not western or vampires for example?

Well, for one thing both westerns and vampires are extraordinarily narrow fields, while SF has a virtually limitless range.

Incidentally, Vampires are only a small subset of Fantasy.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

I agree that fantasy should cover a massive  range, however, in practice it is all Tolkein inspired elves, dwarves, magic etc.  Please get rid of magic, it is painfully lazy.  Monkey tennis would not have magic in it. 

Chins

cowboys vrs aliens

I like that idea! :-)

Originally posted by Tokken

cavemen and dinosaurs?

Bee world? Insect world.

Spaceship online , a world inside a spaceship?

Buffy the vampire slayer online...... be the chosen one

If they ever did make a prehistoric MMO...a good one. I'd be all over that! Though for that idea to be any good it'd have to be a sandbox. Not so much a grinding sandbox, but more-so leveless, you make all your tools and you're dependent on those tools, etc. I would kill to have a game take place in that setting. That's one reason I always loved AoC, because the setting and everything had that prehistoric feel to it.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

How about a NON-Fiction MMO. Someone could make a game called Encyclopedia Online. You have to admit there would sure be a hell of a lot of source material to draw from.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I really want proto-humans.

ya know Homeo Erectus, Homo Floresiensis, Homo Habilis, Neanderthalensis might be good.

I think stats are a given, int v. str, just like Orcs v. Humies in so many games.

Plus the throw poo emote would rarely stop being funny

You could also mix up some timelines and include Megafauna http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megafauna

freakin short faced bear m&^f&^&ers

http://www.itsnature.org/rip/dinosaurs/giant-short-faced-bear/ 16 hundred pounds!

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

cavemen vs dinosaurs?

AOC prehistoric?

You read some worrying things on these forums

Chins

• ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380

Hmmm, I was going to try this game once upon a time but then forgot about it.

Wild West sounds kinda fun.  Maybe I'll try it out.

http://www.wildwestonline.com/

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

technically vampire world can be broad like Trueblood is..... werewolves, witches, sewrial killers, demons, etc.

Harry Potter world?

Is that a person that obsessively murders sewers?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• EvilAnimalEvilAnimal Member UncommonPosts: 28

crazy zombie splatter mmo please

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by thebigchin11

I agree that fantasy should cover a massive  range, however, in practice it is all Tolkein inspired elves, dwarves, magic etc.  Please get rid of magic, it is painfully lazy.  Monkey tennis would not have magic in it. 

Agreed, I've had enough swords and dragons too.

But look at your fantasy shelf in yon bookstore, and how few modern authors are doing more than cloning Tolkien.  Terry Brooks began his career with "Sword of Shannara", one of the most unapologetic LoTR ripoffs ever published--but he's not alone in that regard.

Vampires have a bad rep with gamers right now (thank you trite roleplay and worse Twilight), and the Goth/BDSM overtones inevitably leak into every game that features them.  It's difficult to avoid the ERP that follows the Vamps around.

But that still leaves a whooole lot of unexplored fantasy sub-species that MMOs haven't touched yet.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

cavemen vs dinosaurs?

AOC prehistoric?

Honestly, how about you read my post instead of skimming it. I said it gave off a prehistoric feeling. I didn't say the game was set in a prehistoric setting. There's a difference between setting and feeling you know. I've played the game off and on for the past year and I think it's safe to say that just because the game's areas feel prehistoric to me doesn't mean they would for you.

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

Vampire mmo is in the works, World of Darkness by CCP. I really think that could be interesting.

Also a zombie mmo would be pretty cool. But I don't care much for the different settings, it's more about gameplay for me.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

cowboys vrs aliens

I like that idea! :-)

That would be pretty sweet

Originally posted by Karesh

cavemen vs dinosaurs?

AOC prehistoric?

Honestly, how about you read my post instead of skimming it. I said it gave off a prehistoric feeling. I didn't say the game was set in a prehistoric setting. There's a difference between setting and feeling you know. I've played the game off and on for the past year and I think it's safe to say that just because the game's areas feel prehistoric to me doesn't mean they would for you.

ok, keep your hair on. 

Chins

Originally posted by Karesh

cavemen vs dinosaurs?

AOC prehistoric?

ok, keep your hair on. 

Sorry lol. I admit sometimes I anger easily :D

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

A planet of hamster people in a giant Habitrail city fighting for limited resources.

Edit: Better yet, Hamsters vs Gerbils vs Chinchillas with classic DAoC RvR.

All die, so die well.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The Monkey Tennis and Hamster Habitrail World would be the first two in this thread that I would try. Cowboys versus Aliens would be the third.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

A REAL martial arts mmo WITHOUT magic and human enemies. I dont want to use magical kung fu on giant rats and tigers. I want to use kung fu against thugs and other people who know kung fu or karate. I'd like for there to be as many styles as possible, namely Wing Chun, Mantis, Monkey style, pretty much all the animal styles, karate, every style ever. Mainly the chinese ones, cause i dont care for karate, but im sure others do. That'd be the mmo for me but no one wants to make it. They just label asian themed mmos as martial arts and put goofy sparkles everywhere and make you beat up pandas with giant mustaches like some sort of chump.

9Dragons almost got it right, but theres barely any human enemies and some of the clans are magical.  Not to mention beyong its theme and classes, its a generic grind fest.