Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO Give the game a chance.

Comments

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by RedRocket

Originally posted by luciusETRUR

No, I did. I would crash when logging into my character. I tried lots, spent a good week trying to get it to work.

Well I hate Mortal, but.. are you using WinXP? You need Win7 for Mortal. Even though they say otherwise.

Oh.. well there you have it. Definitely not playing Mortal Online, then.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Originally posted by mindw0rk

All news about MO are about how they are trying to fix problems. Why would I waste time on game that is on big problem?

They have been "trying to fix problems" since 2009... and that is not an exageration.  Trying does not equal doing.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by jadedlevir

horse gene system, an extremely in depth cooking system, 

Does not work, and led to some of the most hilarious bugs seen in an MMO. Devs admit it needs changing.

the persistant mounts

MO is not the only game with persistant mounts.

extraction and refining system,

Is that working yet? Was broken after Dawn launch. Either way, nothing new there either.

the way weapon crafting works, the way armour crafting works,hell the way all crafting works

It's a stripped down version of SWG crafting, and leads to only 3 or 4 viable weapons/armour.

the combat,

Doesn't work, see link I gave earlier. Plenty of other MMO's with twitch combat though.

hunger system, weight system,

Also does not work, even arch-fan PrinceReaper states it is a stupid system.

fpv,

FPV in itself is not unique, forced FPV might be though. Grats! You've found MO's USP - one that very few people wanted and actually drives customers away in greater numbers than it attracts them.

player built housing

Not in any way unique.

(you cna change the wood,materials, ect add expansion,storage,vendors, pay taxes). 

The tax system is broken, unless it was patched very recently. As for the other things, in UO I can actually design my own floorplans and put the house wherever I want (unless someone beats me to the spot of course).

Built guild keeps

And then you do .... what with that keep? They are entirely useless. They are also not unique, many games have large housing plots for guilds.

non-tab target combat, ffa, full loot...

Same as many games out there.

I could go on,

You really should, as the only example you have found is the one I stated in my previous post - forced FPV.

but It's kind of not worth it because your still gona hate on it. How many other games have those features, in a fantasy world that aims for realism.

UO had all those things years ago, and the features actually work. In MO very little actually works.

I hate to be the guy trying to defend this game, but it's really not as bad as ppl say, now if you can't stand bugs, then you won't have fun. But if you have a little patience and enjoy sandbox gameplay, it's a really fun expereience.

Some people take pleasure from hammering nails into their gentleman's area, but most people don't. It's why virtually no one plays MO now, despite the number of client sales.

Originally posted by mdelury

Pretty sure that we are talking about current MMO's UO is like 10 years old of course it has multiple features other games do not have but it also has like 12yrs of development.  If mortal online is given the same amount of time to develop the game could be Amazing.

The features I am addressing in UO were there within the first 2 years from launch. I have not played on official servers since then. The fact that on private servers I can get even more features that were designed by people for free in their spare time just makes MO's efforts even more laughable.

The only game out on the market with a close relation to MO is darkfall. Darkfall 2.0 might actually be worth playing.

You keep saying that, but it ain't true. UO is FFA, full loot, open PVP. That is analagous to MO.

Mortal online offers full loot, pet system, skill cap system to determine the type of character you play

So does UO.

The world is great to look at and explore.

The MO world is a vast barren void with an occaisonally pretty sky. For eg, have they populated the jungle properly yet? No? Oh well. How about putting MOBs into caves? Nope? Ah well, waiting for AI that can cope with terrain I guess.

MO has a great crafting system.

A great crafting system would have a variety of viable products and specialties. MO crafting consists of making whatever FOTM weapon that SV broke in the last patch.

Darkfalls pve is worse than MO. Having to use your mount to kick a mob to death kind of silly pve. 

There is NOTHING worse than MO's PvE, as MO doesn't even have any PvE. There is literally no AI in the game, and their "boss mobs" just sit at range while you kill them with arrows/magic.

Sure MO has alot of features turned off so that they can be released properly.

Not so they can be "released properly", it's because SV cannot code. The features were put in game and often loudly trumpeted as the Next BIg Thing (hi mount system), but they simply do not work due to SV's inability to produce quality code.

People are always saying MMO's should not be release until they are ready. Well they released features that they felt were ready to be put into place and the rest of them are still being developed properly.

So the mount system was ready was it? How about the hunger system? None of it worked properly for the reasons given above - SV inability to code.

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by deathshroud

i think if aventurine had henrik then they mgiht have made a game thats actually fun.

So wait. You're saying that if one failed game had a dev from another failed game, the first failed game wouldn't have failed? lol

Throwing the word 'failed' around pretty loosely, aren't ya?  Both games are still around, both with very ardent fanbases. 

"Ardent fanbase" is a meaningless statement.

MO has a tiny amount of people playing (not enough to break even according to the CEO), so their mental state has nothing to do with how long the game will last.

I imagine you'd call one person playing it an "ardent fanbase".

Originally posted by Betel

MO has a tiny amount of people playing (not enough to break even according to the CEO), so their mental state has nothing to do with how long the game will last.

in this thread there's 2 people, one uses the word 'failed' to describe two games that are still online and active.  Another guy says 'ardent fanbase' in reference to games that have an...well, an ardent fanbase.  If an active game with loyal fans can be called 'failed', than 'failed' holds less meaning than anything I've ever posted.

I wasn't commenting on another poster, I was commenting on what YOU posted.

Do you agree that the term "ardent fanbase" is meaningless when used to imply a game is successful or has a long term future. One person could be an "ardent fanbase", but that would be a failed game.

Stand up for your statements in this thread, and don't hide behind other people's comments that I wasn't even addressing.

• StravasStravas Member Posts: 32

Like several others in the thread, I have tried MO on a very limited basis a couple times now . . . i played in the open beta and did a free trial last Fall but never played beyond perhaps a week in total either time. And yes, there were plenty of things that frustrated the crap out of me about the game but that said, it does offer a very different experience imo to any other mmo on the market atm. I'd say I'm typical of many players right now who simply can't find a game that holds their interest . . . in the search for the perfect, everything is tarnished. That said, I've decided to take advantage of the Summer Discount and purchase MO tomorrow and give it a solid month of dedicated play time to see what's really there and what isn't.

• ProphecyMOProphecyMO Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by funkmastaD

in this thread there's 2 people, one uses the word 'failed' to describe two games that are still online and active.  Another guy says 'ardent fanbase' in reference to games that have an...well, an ardent fanbase.  If an active game with loyal fans can be called 'failed', than 'failed' holds less meaning than anything I've ever posted.

I wouldn't call it "failed" but you can call it failing due to the business (MO) consitantly not making money since release.  Any business would call that failing. 

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by mdelury

The AI is not great but they are working on that and adding in new harder creatures so the game will eventually have a PVE worth something. I generally don’t play games anymore for the pve its all about the pvp. 

I am just going to pick on this one part.  Not saying the rest is not valid.

The AI was "complete" and "awesome" before launch according to SV.  They said it did not work because of "navmesh" problems which was fixed with the "Epic" games patch.  At this point. . if it was complete and the navmesh fixed it should be working by now.

The other thing. . . PvE has been lacking for a long time. . do they even bother to run "invasions" anymore like the Rysar or spiders etc?  Even thought I missed all of thoese they at least gave the game the sense that things were changing etc.  That it was a real world and not just a sand floor or an arena.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

It's amazing how many posters suddenly appear saying how great MO is and how it deserves a chance now.

Then I look back at their previous posting history ...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3900667

Another thread (from last year) with the same name and with some of the same posters mysteriously appearing and saying they will give it a chance.

This of course has nothing to do with SV stating they use viral marketing as their main form of advertising, and anyone who assumes that is obviously just a big meanie.

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

I am giving MO a try.

FPS melee is crappy tho.

Until they develop a much more realistic way to allow for people to employ melee tactics (ducking, weaving, parrying, twirling, juking, etc. etc. etc.) melee in FPS is too stilted to be any fun.

I will try it out though.

Someone please make a good MMO.

Originally posted by baritone3k

I am giving MO a try.

FPS melee is crappy tho.

Until they develop a much more realistic way to allow for people to employ melee tactics (ducking, weaving, parrying, twirling, juking, etc. etc. etc.) melee in FPS is too stilted to be any fun.

I will try it out though.

It has a 14day free trial.  Try it before you buy it.  And you can take as many trials as you want.

It's amazing how many posters suddenly appear saying how great MO is and how it deserves a chance now.

Then I look back at their previous posting history ...

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3900667

Another thread (from last year) with the same name and with some of the same posters mysteriously appearing and saying they will give it a chance.

This of course has nothing to do with SV stating they use viral marketing as their main form of advertising, and anyone who assumes that is obviously just a big meanie.

I thought we all agreed that every hater was a DF employee, every fanboi was an SV shill.  

I didn't get that memo, but are you denying that SV uses viral marketing as the main plank of it's advertising?

Please do, just so I can link Henrik himself saying it :)

• BunkafishBunkafish Member Posts: 57

Any game that is released unfinished should not be bought by anyone. I'll never understand how mmo gamers can play unfinished games on release, any other video game genre this type of thing isn't acceptable. I don't understand why it is for the mmo community. 

Anyways, games that come out unfinished i'll never play even if they turn it around. 

MMO's are an ongoing process of adding content as previous content is consumed.

The difference between MO and most other MMO's is not the "unfinished" aspect, it' the fact that it flat out doesn't work. Even features in since launch still do not work.

That is not "unfinished", it's just flat out broken.

In response to Viral Marketing.

Community Manager

You guys can also help us out by sending in tips to those same game sites. I believe there are some game sites that get spammed with tips; and only the "Gems" or the ones that are in "Public Demand" are ever addressed.

So I ask the community itself to also help us out, and start discussion about Mortal Online on any other forums that you might frequent.

Share MO with others

Opal Mini Tracker

Then a player said...

Rep Power: 3 killing karma is an unknown quantity at this point!!

If it's a good game word will get out. That's how not only games work, but most things in life. Make a good game, subs will come, dev team will grow. That's how all the big guys started.

Last edited by killing karma 

Which I totally agree...  Then Opal said....

Community Manager

I think that's a rather romantic over simplification of things.

Share MO with others

I guess he doesn't believe if it is a good game people will come.

• RedRocketRedRocket Member CommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Stravas

Like several others in the thread, I have tried MO on a very limited basis a couple times now . . . i played in the open beta and did a free trial last Fall but never played beyond perhaps a week in total either time. And yes, there were plenty of things that frustrated the crap out of me about the game but that said, it does offer a very different experience imo to any other mmo on the market atm. I'd say I'm typical of many players right now who simply can't find a game that holds their interest . . . in the search for the perfect, everything is tarnished. That said, I've decided to take advantage of the Summer Discount and purchase MO tomorrow and give it a solid month of dedicated play time to see what's really there and what isn't.

Do yourself a big favour, the game has a trial that lets you experience nearly everything. Use it before you throw your money at SV. The game might not even run on your computer.

I didn't get that memo, but are you denying that SV uses viral marketing as the main plank of it's advertising?

Please do, just so I can link Henrik himself saying it :)

Why so combative?  Do you think I'm part of this 'campaign'?  That'd explain the hostility, and the absolute lack of humor about all of it.

Viral marketing is a buzz word to appease investors, it means 'cheap'.  facebook gimmicks, fun little video releases on youtube, shit like that.  It's not an excuse to witchhunt and margilize anyone who likes the game and says so.

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by funkmastaD

Viral marketing is a buzz word to appease investors, it means 'cheap'.  facebook gimmicks, fun little video releases on youtube, shit like that.  It's not an excuse to witchhunt and margilize anyone who likes the game and says so.

Think youre a little confused... SV/Henrik have been clear in regards to their "marketing".  

I win!!! LOL@U

• StravasStravas Member Posts: 32

Virual marketing and social media marketing are used by companies large and small to cut through the deluge of traditional marketing messages . . . there's absolutely nothing inherently dishonest or misleading about it. It's a particularly good method for small cash strapped start ups like Star Vault and frankly they would be stupid to not leverage it as a promotional tool! 

As for the link to my prior comments about MO, if you actually read them, I said I liked a lot of what I saw but wasn't ready to laid down cash for the product at that point . . . that was eight months ago. Several things have changed since then - there has been additional development on the game, there's been a price reduction, and I'm bored and more willing to give something more on the fringe a try!

I honestly don't see any disconnect between my comments then and actions now.

Viral marketing includes people, paid by the company, making posts on boards such as this in order to promote the product. That is dishonest, as they do not say they have a financial motive for promoting said product and instead pretend to be a normal consumer.

SV also asks it's fans to spam msg boards and email game sites to promote it's product, as the Black Opal post shows.

As for you personally, why are you buying the product to give it a try when there is a free trial? Surely a sensible person would do the trial and not pay money for a product that is universally agreed to be a bug ridden mess. Even the fans admit there is a LOT more broken game systems than systems that work, and the game has not progressed far since launch.

So why are you buying the client instead of doing the trial? You can do two consecutive trials if you want a month to test it out.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

So why are you buying the client instead of doing the trial? You can do two consecutive trials if you want a month to test it out.

I can't speak for that other person, but I almost did the same thing myself. My reason is that the game is 30% off for the next... 2 days or so. I figured if I try it for a few days and like it, it's going to cost me more than if I buy it now. Still, after reading the forums both here and on the official site, I decided to do the trial first :)

Edit because I am sleep deprived and somehow figured became fugured, which might actually be a better term for my thoughts atm...