Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: San Diego Comic-Con Highlight Reel

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A lot of Star Wars: The Old Republic fans were very happy with the news coming out of last week's San Diego Comic-Con.  Some were not, particularly in light of some controversial topics that came up. That said, MMORPG.com Community Manager Mike Bitton has dissected all of the SWTOR news out of Comic-Con and brings you the Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic-Con Highlight Reel. Check it out and then let us know what you think!

The other major announcement at this year’s SDCC was the announcement of beta weekends kicking off this September. This is much less controversial, but has stirred up the excitement for fans as the announcement really evokes a sense that the several year wait may finally be ending and the game will actually see a release sometime this century.

Read more of Mike Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic - The San Diego Comic-Con Highlight Reel.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• anthonyman6anthonyman6 Member UncommonPosts: 73

I'm feeling November.

• SquiggieSquiggie Member Posts: 104

My guess has been late-Oct. to mid-Nov. all year...looks like I may get one right (for a change)

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I thought this was going to be a video.  "Highlight Reel" threw me for a loop here.  O.o

I've been thinking October-November all year myself.  

• Khaine007Khaine007 Member UncommonPosts: 37

If I have to level up a light side character to max level to be able to use that race for dark side, I'm going to be very disappointed with that system.

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238

I think personally October is the only real choice, unless something major happens in the Beta Weekends, the game would be finished and being polished through the month, leaving Oct to finish off any bugs, and ship.

• anthonyman6anthonyman6 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Originally posted by sbanting

I think personally October is the only real choice, unless something major happens in the Beta Weekends, the game would be finished and being polished through the month, leaving Oct to finish off any bugs, and ship.

Yeah, that why I chose November ultimately. I figured maybe they'll be some bugs that need fixing before ship so they'll move it back a month to November. Only time will tell!

• TJixleeTJixlee Member Posts: 159

i got CE toooooo. i'm leaning more towards a november release so i'm not as a dissapointed when or if it comes out in december, but october would be FAAAAANTASTIC

• lostkosslostkoss Member Posts: 149

They want this game on store shelves in the first week or two of October.

Any later than that and they will miss out on sales from Xmas shoppers.

This is just common sense.

Have a sense of humor, no need to get ALL MODDY ! :) A Simpson's quote shouldn't be worth a warning. You are lucky anyone is bothering to read this rag.

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290

CE for all the collectable goodies and I can see the Game going live once SWG fades into the sunset.

• Lyynk424Lyynk424 Member CommonPosts: 10

I pre-ordered CE, too.  I can't wait :)

• TaiyohTaiyoh Member UncommonPosts: 48

I've pre-ordered the standard version. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Star Wars fan as well, but I wasn't able to afford spending €150 for the CE with stuff I probably will end up neglecting anyway. It just seemed like an unnecassary €95 extra just for some goodies that don't change the gameplay. I've got the most important item, and that's the color crystal. :P

• wickymageewickymagee Member UncommonPosts: 44

I hadn't really thought a great deal about the release date (though I did preorder the digital version so I'm excited to hope it's close), it would make sense for them to time it for near the shutting down of SWG, they might hope for some SW gamers needing to find their fix, not that I think they'll need a boost in sales.  This game is going to have one of the biggest launches in history, lets hope they're ready for it.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Pre-ordered the STANDARD edition. I have purchased other "CE" versions of games but later I have always had buyer's remorse. Just not worth the extra money and I can afford it.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• HyperbeamHyperbeam Member Posts: 124

Collectors edition games are always more expensive, thats a given. A preorder from a retailer is fine as well, even for a game that has no release date.

However I felt the Origin store preorder was a complete ripoff.  A, 'Digital Special Edition', for £60.00, normal preorder £50.00...frankly thats ridicilously expensive.  

There's really no excuse for charging so much, I mean StarCraft II is still £45.00 of Battlenet.  Whats the justification, or are these companies just playing of naiviety?

I preordered a collectors edition, I haven't paid anything yet and I've got my key...really 9 times out of 10 it isn't worth lining these greedy b*****s pockets early.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I picked up the CE myself, and it's the first time I've ever doled out the cash for for one. But this time it seems worth it with all the tangible perks you get. 

What lostkoss said about them wanting the game on shelves in early October rings true, though I hope they only do that if it's really ready to ship. Nothing worse than an unfinished game, and not many studios really follow the Blizzard concept of releasing a polished product. Although if any studio knows the value of polish it's BW, so we'll see.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Happy to hear about the customisation of companions and the advanced class respec :)

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

I watched the ComicCon panel just last night, and I liked what i heard.

I bought CE for myself and SE for my brother. I've only bought 3 CEs in my life. Vanilla WoW, Aion and now SWTOR. My decision for CE reflects my hopes of playing a really great game that looks awesome during development.

As to the release date, Oct seems a little too optimistic to me. With the beta weekends starting in Sep, they are going to need some time to polish whatever feedback they get during them. I am hoping for a early November release, because my boxes have to come all they way to Costa Rica and customs are a nightmare here during december. So basically, after release, i still have to wait about 3-5 days to play the game.

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295
  • PadmeAmPadmeAm Member Posts: 26
    Today I recieved my CE pre-order! Im hoping for October but expect November... Which is fine too ;)
  • BabyJesusBabyJesus Member Posts: 33

WoW was released in November 2004.  Lets see if a game released 7 years later can dethrone it.

• barren216barren216 Member Posts: 52

Oct. or Nov. definetely, because everyone knows Christmas, Hannakah and all the other "Holidays" that take place during "Holiday season" is in Oct. Or Nov. 

:D

Late Nov - end of the year is more of an accurate choice...unless they kick things into gear.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

"Ultimately, all we’ve proven is that we’re willing to drop $150 mostly on faith (for many of you) that this game will be exceptionally awesome. If the game turns out to be a total flop, you’ll just end up looking like an idiot while everyone laughs at your silly golden key in your signature. Come on, guys."

I fell for it in the past............. in fact ill wait till release and see before I get the standard edition

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

I am expecting November myself but times can vary. $150 for the CE is not a lot of money for me. I have enjoyed a lot of Bioware games (Mass Effect, Kotor, DA, NWN, Baldur's gate, Jade Empire, etc.) so getting this was pretty much going to happen. 

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

TOR will probably be a good game and I may just get it after not playing an MMO for awhile.. But I really dont like the tactic Bioware is using to create false demand of their product.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Funny how you didn't notice how it was not mentioned that players not in NA or Europe (not counting the European countries that Bioware/EA decided were not actually part of the EU) will not be included in the holiday 2011 launch.

As far as the legacy speculation goes... Having to level a character to max level just to unlock a race/class combination I've been waiting to play does not seem like much of a reward to me. It seems like a good way to introduce races not yet ready upon launch, but holding race/class combinations back JUST so you can have rewards with which to hype your legacy feature is stupid.