Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are forum posters here lost in their own reality?

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Vhaln

Lot of it has to do with experience.  What we've personally experienced, and what we've learned from it.  In terms of SWTOR, it will have to go against a lot of that to succeed.  It's possible, sure.  Maybe there's even evidence to suggest it's likely.  Still, some people are going to stick to what they've seen, MMO after MMO.. after MMO...

Yes, but many have a very warped sense of what has happened over the years with MMO's. Almost a revisonist view if anything. Like the claim the sandbox is the answer to the future, without considering it was the past and it didn't catch on. Then they view every game no matter what as an exact replica of  WOW. Whatever it is they tell themselves to justify this view, be it rose tinted glasses of the past, revisionist history, it doesn't matter, it is their own reality.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

People can't help but feel that there experience is a fair reason to share their own judgement, irregardless of how bias it may seem to others. Thats just human nature. When it comes down to wanting something new in a game, I am right on board with the all the people screaming for innovation. If you play solitaire for so long that you're getting bored with it, buying a different deck of cards to play the same thing is pointless. I want a new game that breaks the mold. I don't think I'm asking for too much. That doesn't mean that SWTOR is a bad game or doomed for failure, it's just looking like it may not be the game for me.

Haters just gotta hate.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

Just recently mentioned in the EA investors conference call is that this title has sold more pre-release copies than any other game in EA history. Considering the monolithic titles the company owns that is considerable news. They mentioned they are completely relaxed about the numbers at launch and sustainable interest in the title now that the interest seen via the pre-order purchases in visible. Completely relaxed suggesting an easy expectation of multiple milions of units sold and confirmation that the capacity to meet that expectation is there. 

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Is the problem this site or is it the fansites of MMOs?

It seems like people first visit fanforums, and tell each other how awesome game A is going to be, because the devs have said so to market their game.
    Then they come to a discussion board where they meet people with different views and experiences. Of course then if someone says "Game A is gonna be so awesome" people will ask "but what is with this and that? How about this?"
    Then some people seem to be disappointed others don´t share their views, call people on this site ´Trolls´ and go back to their fansites, where they hear again, what they want to hear.

It also is/was like this with GW2, Aion, FF14,... the ToR-fansite seems to make their marketing job best so far.

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

No one is denying there is a ton of hype for ToR. However, people are skeptical about it's staying power.

So far we know next to nothing about the endgame features. And the little we do know indicates it's just your basic instanced raids and battlegrounds that we've all done in other mmos.

There is no reason to believe ToR will be a success after the initial excitement dies down. It could be a big hit and hold on to a huge player base, but I don't see why that would be likely. It's offering nothing new outside of story, and there are a lot of new games coming down the pipe that will make aspects of ToR look really dated and boring.  The Star Wars name will only get Bioware so far.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by Loke666

Well, OP do have a point but I kinda like my own reality... Maybe it is just the rather large Mohito I am drinking while writing this whos speaking of course....

Yeah, we have no real clue if TOR will fail and being somewhat unoriginal is probably an advantage for most people. Most people here are on the other habd pretty hardcore MMO players and I have a feeling TOR will just like Wow be more popular with the average player than the MMO fans.

Wow is not that popular on this site either.

Lokes Mohito that he learned to make when he was drunk in Havannah:

Put some cane sugar in the bottle of the class, add a drop of rhum (Havannah club 3 anos is best) and add a few mint leaves. Crush the mint leaves. Add a large amount of Rhum and some pressed lemon (not lime, the bartender at the place that invented it said it was a nono and it taste better with lemon). stir it and then fill up with carbonated water, add a straw and some ice.

You are welcome, this stuff is gold. :)

Very true...another reason why I think it will succeed lol.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by fcazares

Just recently mentioned in the EA investors conference call is that this title has sold more pre-release copies than any other game in EA history. Considering the monolithic titles the company owns that is considerable news. They mentioned they are completely relaxed about the numbers at launch and sustainable interest in the title now that the interest seen via the pre-order purchases in visible. Completely relaxed suggesting an easy expectation of multiple milions of units sold and confirmation that the capacity to meet that expectation is there. 

EXCELLENT NEWS, thanks :-). Just more validation of my original post...thanks :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

Originally posted by keithian

Well, OP do have a point but I kinda like my own reality... Maybe it is just the rather large Mohito I am drinking while writing this whos speaking of course....

Yeah, we have no real clue if TOR will fail and being somewhat unoriginal is probably an advantage for most people. Most people here are on the other habd pretty hardcore MMO players and I have a feeling TOR will just like Wow be more popular with the average player than the MMO fans.

Put some cane sugar in the bottle of the class, add a drop of rhum (Havannah club 3 anos is best) and add a few mint leaves. Crush the mint leaves. Add a large amount of Rhum and some pressed lemon (not lime, the bartender at the place that invented it said it was a nono and it taste better with lemon). stir it and then fill up with carbonated water, add a straw and some ice.

lol. Don't get too excited. Warhammer broke EA's preorder record when it went on sale too.

• Hendo0069Hendo0069 Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by Fratman

No one is denying there is a ton of hype for ToR. However, people are skeptical about it's staying power.

So far we know next to nothing about the endgame features. And the little we do know indicates it's just your basic instanced raids and battlegrounds that we've all done in other mmos.

There is no reason to believe ToR will be a success after the initial excitement dies down. It could be a big hit and hold on to a huge player base, but I don't see why that would be likely. It's offering nothing new outside of story, and there are a lot of new games coming down the pipe that will make aspects of ToR look really dated and boring.  The Star Wars name will only get Bioware so far.

What we know so far about endgame is as follows: Flashpoints, Operations, Warzones, A huge part of a planet dedicated to open world pvp, and a whole planet devoted to solo end game content. I think that's pretty good for a newly launched MMO.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Hendo0069

What we know so far about endgame is as follows: Flashpoints, Operations, Warzones, A huge part of a planet dedicated to open world pvp, and a whole planet devoted to solo end game content. I think that's pretty good for a newly launched MMO.

Is "Dungeons, Raids, Battlegrounds and one zone for PvE endgame" the correct translation? I am not very familar with the ToR wording yet. ;)
  • Hendo0069Hendo0069 Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by Herodes

Originally posted by Hendo0069

Is "Dungeons, Raids, Battlegrounds and one zone for PvE endgame" the correct translation? I am not very familar with the ToR wording yet. ;)

"one zone" is not accurate. Each planet has multiple zones or are the size of multiple WoW zones and to be clear end game means post max level (50). I am not exactly sure what you means by "correct translation". Those are exact quotes from the developers at SDCC or are you just trying to be funny?

Either way I'm just relaying the facts, so you can twist them however you wish.

lol. Don't get too excited. Warhammer broke EA's preorder record when it went on sale too.

True, but Warhammer was a game focused on PVP only (nobody I knew played the PVE because it was HORRIBLE except to get some coins) and SWTOR will focus on both,Warhammer did not meet what it had promised upon release (several things got nerfed or were left out), was completely population dependent taking a risk with the innovative public quests which after 3 months ended up to be failures, realm versus realm was avoided because everyone was hanging out in scenarios, the game had balancing issues and everyone cried about BrightWizards for the first 2 months , end game content failed and kept completely crashing the servers, and it did not have the same player base already established as those who love Star Wars, love Sci Fi, loved KOTOR, or love Bioware games. This has a lot more going for it, most above all what appears to be polish so many months prior to release and not making empty promises like "full fledged space exploration" or anything like that.

There Is Always Hope!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Herodes

Well the correct translation would be far more than most MMO's have launched with, Eight completely different leveling experiences from 1-50. Raiding at launch,  territories for instanced and world PVP. A whole world dedicated to post cap play. Not to mention 17 planets, as well as lesser content areas (whatever that means). There's plenty to keep me busy for quite some time right there. Did I mention companions and all they entail?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

It is fairly common knowledge that 'haters' are more vocal than those who 'like' a particular product.

Whether it is a video game or a soap product.

Here's an article by an actual marketing guy.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/first-personmarketer/8081-Trolls-Haters-and-Flame-War-Generals-Thank-You

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

There are dozens of repeat threads here regarding how unoriginal SWTOR, how it will fail like game X, how it is WOW with lightsabers, etc. However.....

Most of the posts in this forum are "Hater Wars"-posts so they have nothing to do with reality. Haters throwing half assed false comments about games about to be released in repeating cycle untill a game is launched. Sometimes it sucks you in and sometimes you just facepalm :) Not dooming the site entirely, there's sometimes a post that is constructive, informative and usefull.

• NifaNifa Member Posts: 324

Originally posted by kishe

I remember being flamed for saying Rift will suck, then at launch one million people bought it, two months later 10-20 thousand still play (at best)

People are still drinking the Bioware koolaid even if Bioware is nothing more than brand name for an EA branch and we know how EA treats its games.

Rift would already be cancelled if it had those numbers. But of course a link of actual numbers would help us...

And comparing Trion with Bioware is really wrong, at least since Van Canegheden quit Trion 3 years ago, he is a genius (He invented "Heroes of might and magic" to mention one of his over 100 games). Bioware have a lot more fans than *Trion, most people here had never even heard of them before Rift while everyone knew Bioware before TOR.

What Loke said.

Obviously, kishe wasn't paying attention to the DA2 debacle. Pretty sure BioWare let EA push that one so soon so they could get those 50+ pages of complaints and multiple horrid reviews specifically so that they'd be able to tell EA ("destroyers of worlds and companies great and small") to get stuffed if they tried the same thing with SW:TOR... or any other BioWare games.

"BioWare kool-aid." I'm no real EA fan, either, but... did John Riccitiello steal your lunch money?

Firebrand Art

"You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

• MaraGossepMaraGossep Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by aesperus

Originally posted by bigsmiff

If you look on these forums, you will see that it is mostly GW2 fanbois flaming SW:ToR fanbois...and vice vera. I have never seen so much nerd rage between two games. I hope they are both successful.

Sadly, it's been like this ever since WoW was released. If anything it's probably worse now than it was then. Whatever the most hyped 2 games are, there's always a neverending flamewar between the two. The odd thing is it always comes down to 2 games, even if there are more than 2 being released that year.

Nothing odd about that. We live in an age of duality, not singularity or multiplexity (if thats a word).

You will see it everywhere. It is almost always two parties competing.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Kabaal

But as is the case on any forum those with negative views tend to be the most vocal and also tend to keep on repeating their nonsense.

Bear in mind that a project this huge was bound to spark debate.

Good point.

Plus mmorpg.com is home to more MMO homeless, drifters and burnt out and embittered MMO vets than other sites, so you'll see more complaints coming from them, for the obvious reason that the current MMO market isn't catering to their needs else they would still be playing or enjoying all kinds of MMO's.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by jpnz

It is fairly common knowledge that 'haters' are more vocal than those who 'like' a particular product.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/first-personmarketer/8081-Trolls-Haters-and-Flame-War-Generals-Thank-You

Well, at least he confirms that what we've long suspected isn't just paranoia.

At least some of the people we chatter with on message boards everywhere are actually corporate shills.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Some are either lost in their own reality or badly in need of some medication. No sane person can be THIS obsessed over video games.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

lol I enjoyed that article. My favorite part was this one "The Anarchists:

These are the ones who want to destroy and they toss thermal detonators into the conversation just to watch it burn. They're armed with arguments that fixate on a particular aspect of the marketing and monosyllabically bludgeon it to a pulp. They tend to aggressively follow the thread to see the reactions they provoke, then they drop a few more. They cause a lot of collateral damage in the community simply for "the lulz"."

That pretty much makes up most of the community in the SWTOR forums lol. I wonder if that will fit in my signature :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Icewhite

At least some of the people we chatter with on message boards everywhere are actually corporate shills.

Yeah, but it goes both ways though. However, no one can force you to spend money so the responsibility of how one does is ultimately up to personal responsibility.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Icewhite

Yeah, but it goes both ways though. However, no one can force you to spend money so the responsibility of how one does is ultimately up to personal responsibility.

If you are convinced that everyone is out to get you and it ends up being true . . . is it still paranoia?  Short answer is YES!  At least then it is justified paranoia.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• PhilssPhilss Member Posts: 433

5) Just about all my gaming friends in my facebook, from previous guilds, etc are going to try this game. Most of them will stay as subs even if it was just wow with lightsabers because that is what they like. Regardless, those following the game that don't have ulterior motives know this game is so much more than wow with lightsabers even if at first glance it plays like it.

Rofl ya right .

PPl said that about AoC-WAR-Aion-Rift

All these 4 game also lots of CE pre order etc etc etc .

OP post is pretty worthless no one know how tthis game will be until its released .

• bepolitebepolite Member Posts: 53

theres a new  game and new class that tops everything for some people

game: mmorpg forumwars

class : universal hater

monthly fee: none

est. release date: n/a

genre: i know it betah biatch

pvp: yes - massive verbal reartalk