Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scientists say time travel impossible

ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

A group a physicists in Hong Kong claim that, based on recent experiments, they have proved that time travel is impossible.

Nonesense!  I say we re-double our efforts and keep trying until we figure it out.  They also said that landing on the Moon, decafinated coffee and the wireless bra were all impossible.  But look where we are now.

Comments

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

Time travel to the past is impossible however, time travel into the future will be easy as pie.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Yeah forget time travel for now ...they need to keep working creating on a antimatter reactor,if they can do that it can lead to other things down the road...crawl before you can walk

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Scientific limitation is only caused by our own ignorance.

As been stated, many things have been "impossible", but later on were proved otherwise.

What I see impossible is changing the past, not travelling to it.

Too many paradoxes to be able to change it without there being a creation of a multiverse.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Go to the past.

Pull a leaf off a bush.

History is irreversibly altered, FOREVER!

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

They should stop funding all projects like time travel and all science, and use the money to fix the problems here on earth.

Were not gonna time travel, and were not gonna go the speed of light and explore planets for a long time, so we should drop this crap !

Lets work on corruption

Lets work on banks giving loans as a so called 7%

Lets work on giving credit cards away like candy at 17% and calling it a good source for a loan

Lets drop OPIC and Drill for our own oil, and bring gas prices back to $2 a gallon

Lets stop Lawyers from causing red tape on changes that need to be made for our Country

Lets stop paying NFL players 2 million dollars a year.

This is stuff we need to be working on than funding science !!!!

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I didn't even read the article because it's a bullshit claim. Time travel to the future is absolutely possible. And 100% scientifically demonstrable. Just look up "special relativity".

Time travel to the past? No.

• ZykeZyke Member Posts: 335

Originally posted by page

They should stop funding all projects like time travel and all science, and use the money to fix the problems here on earth.

Were not gonna time travel, and were not gonna go the speed of light and explore planets for a long time, so we should drop this crap !

Lets work on corruption

Lets work on giving credit cards away like candy at 17% and calling it a good source for a loan

Lets drop OPIC and Drill for our own oil, and bring gas prices back to $2 a gallon

Lets stop Lawyers from causing red tape on changes that need to be made for our Country

Please remove yourself and all people like yourself from society. Science is the only reason humanity progresses at all. Feel free to go back to your mud and straw hut and hunting with wooden spears though while the rest of us try to accomplish something.

• cryoracryora Member Posts: 367

All they proved was that a photon can travel no faster than the speed of light.

What does this have to do with time travel??

Is there some quantum logic that I am lacking that would allow me to see the connection between how fast a photon can travel and time travel??

Originally posted by cryora

Is there some quantum logic that I am lacking that would allow me to see the connection between how fast a photon can travel and time travel??

Some scientists seem to think in order to travel to the past you have to travel faster than light. Which is BS. Let's just say you wanted to travel to a star that was 5 light years away. Well, even if you went double the speed of light it would still take you 2.5 light years to get there. So obviously we didn't travel back in time. Anyways, traveling back in time is impossible but launching ourselves forward through time is quite simple.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Originally posted by seabass2003

Originally posted by cryora

Some scientists seem to think in order to travel to the past you have to travel faster than light. Which is BS. Let's just say you wanted to travel to a star that was 5 light years away. Well, even if you went double the speed of light it would still take you 2.5 light years to get there. So obviously we didn't travel back in time. Anyways, traveling back in time is impossible but launching ourselves forward through time is quite simple.

Unless you can "slingshot" around a star like they did several times in Star Trek.  I don't know much about physics, but since the massive gravity of a star significantly warps space-time, perhaps passing within its gravity field at faster than light speed will allow for backwards time travel.

I have no idea, really.  I'm Just spitballing.

• ZykeZyke Member Posts: 335

Seriously guys do some reading if you're going to criticize actual scientists...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_relativity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation

In a nutshell: The closer to light you go, the slower time goes for you. This has been proven. At the speed of light time does not move for the theoretical object travelling at that speed. So it's been predicted that going faster than light would have time start to go backwards.

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

Originally posted by Zyke

Seriously guys do some reading if you're going to criticize actual scientists...

In a nutshell: The closer to light you go, the slower time goes for you. This has been proven. At the speed of light time does not move for the theoretical object travelling at that speed. So it's been predicted that going faster than light would have time start to go backwards.

Predicted...

Also at one point it was stated that if mass reached the speed of light it'd become infinite.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Well don't be so quick to criticize yourself.  That doesn't necessarily solve anything.  First of all, just accelerating living matter to the speed of light presents all kinds of problems by itself.  And then, even if you can, going faster than light may not mean you are going to go back in time.  It probably means that the object traveling faster than light would de-age rather than age.

• Suker9Suker9 Member Posts: 22

Time travel sounds awesome , but I have to say that is impossible.

If u could come back to the past , everything u do at the past will change now and future ! That's horrible ! Did u ever watch the movie The Butterfly Effect ?

Originally posted by Suker9

Time travel sounds awesome , but I have to say that is impossible.

If u could come back to the past , everything u do at the past will change now and future ! That's horrible ! Did u ever watch the movie The Butterfly Effect ?

Also it would mean people never die and they just keep repeating the same exact life over and over again.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

I remember reading that if you could travel at the speed of light around the earth (or anywhere really) for 8 years,  that when you stopped you would be 500 years in the future (or something like that).

Originally posted by zethcarn

I remember reading that if you could travel at the speed of light around the earth (or anywhere really) for 8 years,  that when you stopped you would be 500 years in the future (or something like that).

1 light year = approx. 800 Earth years for the people not traveling at the speed of light, while only 1 year passes for the person traveling. This was from memory so I could be off or even wrong.

• lschneiflschneif Member Posts: 43

There're so many logic paradoxes about time travel.... Such as the famous "Grandfather paradox". Who can get the answer? However, travel to future is maybe easier.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Chinise culture  is agenst the idea of timetravel.

Thier culture focus alot to forefathers and dead relatives, so naturally they dont like the idea of messing with the past.

They did even ban timetravel from thier TV.

http://business.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/14/china-bans-time-travel-for-television/

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Originally posted by page

Lets work on corruption

Please remove yourself and all people like yourself from society. Science is the only reason humanity progresses at all. Feel free to go back to your mud and straw hut and hunting with wooden spears though while the rest of us try to accomplish something.

My sentiments exactly. Without the want to know and understand more we would have never gotten ourselves out of the stone age, the bronze age, etc. and into modern life. While I might agree with the anti-corruption, credit card loans, overpaid lawyers and sports playes attacking scientific advancement will only slow down the progress of the human race. Also oil prices are only part of the problem eventually no matter how cheap it is oil will run out and without scientific research we won't be able to deal with consequences associeated with that.

We have all but obliterated most natural selection processes that effect human kind so scientific advancement and understanding is the only way we will continue to adapt and evolve.

Oh and I want to time travel nobody can tell me it can't be done!

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

It is not, i'm proof of that, I can be in many places at a time, what to know how?

By posting on the internez lol.

On a real note, time travel both forward and back are not theoretically impossible.

to move forward in time takes FTL travel

to move back in time well let Micho tell you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dJhYWwL90