Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: 17 Now, 500 in 2025

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Ashlar

Originally posted by Azernus

Originally posted by Eladi

Originally posted by TweFoju

let's see that is 14 years from now, in 14 years i will be 37, wow, i dont know if i will stil play game at that age... lol

You will, Time changes nothing in your mind, only the world around you changes.

Um WRONG. But it's okay, enjoy being young.

Yes, you will still play games then.  The only difference is that you don't get to play as much as you would like due to job/family.  

Well "maybe". Depends on how you engineer your life.

I leave my job at 5 "ish" and leave it there. I have no interest in kids so my time is my own. I only date women who don't want kids as I learned the hard way back in college. So I "have" the time to play games if I want.

So if one wants to play games one will play games. But life is large and broad and one's desires at the early ages might not be what one wants later on.

In any case, I was 37 when I played my first mmo and I'm 44 now. I don't have as much time to play due to social things but I can easily make time if needed.

It's all how one balances one's life.

As far as the topic at hand, I think it's safe to say that they will be updating their game's graphics as it develops. I don't see any reason, if the game is successful that it can't last until then.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

I actually disagree with the sentiment in this thread. In 15 years, I bet graphics are NOT that different. I don't think games in 2025 will make games today look like Mario.

I think a graph of graphics quality would look like a bell curve, and we are now on the side seeing the diminishing returns. How much more real can these games get visually?

The last thirty years has been the age of graphics and realism - squeezing every inch we can out of our computers in search for a more realistic visual experience, to bring us more immersion.

We are now there. The decades ahead will be about Human Computer Interaction. The Wii, and Kinect are just the begining. 

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'm worried if it will be like: Okay I'm lvl180 now and everything under that level including 300 areas are totally worthless to me now.

It would mean that you actually have only few areas where you can do anything meaningful for your level. I really hope this wont be the case, even if the game is theme park it does not have to work like that, and I do hope it wont.

• ShmawShmaw Member Posts: 85

Technological growth is exponential, so I don't think taking what we've gained in the last ten years and just using that as a template for the next ten is in any way realistic.  2025 you say?  There are numerous predictions for the worlds first AI by 2029.  I personally hope that true VR has been introduced by then, and that I am not playing TOR with the same old engine on 500 different worlds...

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

What I took from this was this:

They are in it for the long haul, they plan to add content on a fairly frequent basis, and they don't plan to shut down in a mere seven years.

This gives me a sense of security....of course the future can't be seen, and too often sh!t happens that no one can predict, but I don't feel like I'm signing on to a game that will be dead in a couple years.

• Dante1443Dante1443 Member Posts: 23

500 by 2025...some players may have to make a new character by then.

• RizzitRizzit Member UncommonPosts: 43

theres a lack in classes. need ch, bio engenneer tka ranger for campfires, all the musik stuff etc, no game with 4 classes will keep their playerbase over a year

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Rizzit

theres a lack in classes. need ch, bio engenneer tka ranger for campfires, all the musik stuff etc, no game with 4 classes will keep their playerbase over a year

8 actually... if your counting the other side, then they split into 2 classes each for a total of 16 though the story won't be much different so thats purely gameplay differences.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Oh dear god. You're taking the 500 by 2025 seriously.

IT WAS A JOKE.

YOU CAN TELL BY THE TONE OF THEIR VOICES IF YOU WATCHED THE VIDEO!

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by TweFoju

let's see that is 14 years from now, in 14 years i will be 37, wow, i dont know if i will stil play game at that age... lol

Heh... I'll be 38 in 3 months and I've pre-ordered my copy already. Games aren't something you outgrow. Video games, card games, board games... your personal taste in them may change, but everyone needs entertainment.

• tikt4evertikt4ever Member Posts: 16

What they don't anticipate is the 400+ GB it will require on hard disk to store all the textures and landscape data for each one of those 500 planets.

Want to use up Comcast's 250G monthly quota? here's how...

• Bizze66Bizze66 Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Size-Twelve

I actually disagree with the sentiment in this thread. In 15 years, I bet graphics are NOT that different. I don't think games in 2025 will make games today look like Mario.
    I think a graph of graphics quality would look like a bell curve, and we are now on the side seeing the diminishing returns. How much more real can these games get visually?
    The last thirty years has been the age of graphics and realism - squeezing every inch we can out of our computers in search for a more realistic visual experience, to bring us more immersion.
    We are now there. The decades ahead will be about Human Computer Interaction. The Wii, and Kinect are just the begining. 

I disagree. There is a lot of room for improvement. The day we get Battlefield 3 graphics playing smooth like buttah on a server with 300 plus people jumping around is the day we have reached your bell curve. Until then there's a LOT of improvement to be made.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by tikt4ever

What they don't anticipate is the 400+ GB it will require on hard disk to store all the textures and landscape data for each one of those 500 planets.

New textures wouldn't take a bit of bandwidth except the initial download.

They'd most likely reuse a lot of them from different areas in the game.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Originally posted by tikt4ever

In just a few short years no game will be installed on your hard drive let alone in 2025.

The way of the future is cloud gaming and streaming directly from servers.

I am not sure how you missed the memo but even with limited IT knowledge, what you just said there is pure comedy.

You stay sassy!

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Bizze66

Originally posted by Size-Twelve

I disagree. There is a lot of room for improvement. The day we get Battlefield 3 graphics playing smooth like buttah on a server with 300 plus people jumping around is the day we have reached your bell curve. Until then there's a LOT of improvement to be made.

Reflections.

Lights that dont have to be baked in.

Real Time Procedural Mapping.

Real Time Soft Shadows.

Most MMOs dont even have bump/normal maps until recently.

In theory it will possible to take a screenshot of World of the Flintsones (TM? lol) in 2025 and not be able to tell the difference between it and a photograph. More likely 2030 or later .. but who knows with the way computers go.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

As much as I want this game..

I call shenanigans...

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Jyiiga

As much as I want this game..

I call shenanigans...

the 500 planets line was a joke

I'm going to have so many flowers that i could fill congress. You just mean it as a term to say i'm going to have a truck load of flowers, not that you mean you'll actually have enough flowers to fill congress.

Same thing here. they just mean they will have a lot of planets by 2025,

yeah totally like 500 planets...(in serious no more like 50 max by 2025)

If they actually have 500 planets by 2025 i think even they would be surprised. The 500 planet wasn't an actual quote, just an astronomically high figure to make a joke..i'm going to be soo rich that i could buy 15 white houses by 2025...yeah no thats not happening.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

500 maps (They're not planets, guys...) is not that exciting in a themepark game. Once you finish with one, it becomes worthless to you.

If TOR were a Sandbox game, it'd be more fun and give me something to look forward to when I'm 45 years old.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

500 maps (They're not planets, guys...) is not that exciting in a themepark game. Once you finish with one, it becomes worthless to you.

If TOR were a Sandbox game, it'd be more fun and give me something to look forward to when I'm 45 years old.

Ah yes, because the same exact "maps" in a sandbox are sooooooooo soooooo different lol?

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I would think they'd have a new game by then, at least I hope they would.

I don't see them making anywhere near that many planets.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Originally posted by Swanea

Ah yes, because the same exact "maps" in a sandbox are sooooooooo soooooo different lol?

Have you ever played a sandbox game?

In a themepark MMORPG you level through areas/maps and never need to return to them.  They become pointless wastes of space.

In a Sandbox game the "map" is a simulated world where every inch of it is just as important as it was when you first joined the game.

Your message was just... snide and without insight.

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

This makes me laugh.  Not because the idea of having that many planets is insane to have been taken seriously, but because EA will have pulled away from this game long before 2025.  Six months in, when the players that ran through the 200 *estimated* hours of story, reach the end-game content, get bored, roll a few alts, get bored, and start unsubscribing, EA will do what it has always done, which start cutting off funding when the game's profit margin begins slipping. 

• ShazkneeShazknee Member Posts: 81

Geesh, HE WAS MAKING A JOKE!

This is what happens when people type down a spoken joke, and acts as if it's serious, I can't belive so many people actually fell for it, as others have said, they would have to release a new planet like every 10 days for the next 14 years, it's obvious that it's not going to happen.

He was just pointing out that the game had a shitload of planets, and further exaggerated to point out how crazy it actually is to ship it with 17 planets.

• ShazkneeShazknee Member Posts: 81

Originally posted by Swanea

Have you ever played a sandbox game?

In a themepark MMORPG you level through areas/maps and never need to return to them.  They become pointless wastes of space.

In a Sandbox game the "map" is a simulated world where every inch of it is just as important as it was when you first joined the game.

Your message was just... snide and without insight.

I have played plenty of sandbox games, as long as they empathize on having a deccent amount of exploration to do, it's all the same, wether it's a sandbox or themepark mmo.

The game arent build up like WAR, which is so linear that they really should have been ashamed.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Grandiose plans are nothing more than marketing baloney.  In reality, they need to focus on a successful launch and react accordingly based on whether subs drop off after 6 months or increase.