Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: 17 Now, 500 in 2025

Comments

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by depain

2025? lol. This game will be comparable to pong by then. It's ridiculous to even talk about anything game-related when it's that far off. Take a look at Diablo 2, SWG, Unreal Tournament, EverQuest, Ultimate Online... games that are roughly only 10 years old, yet appear to be ancient. The same concept applies. By 2016, this game will really start to show age when compared to the rest of the new crop.

Moreover, it's not about additional content. It's about what we can do with that content. Do I simply go where I'm told 24-7? Is the world virtuall useless after I "out level" it?

This is game is a pure Theme Park... a very good one. What they need to do for future advancement is add in some mild sandbox elements - self-sustaining content, e.g., planets where guilds can plop down houses, halls, etc.

SandParks are the future of MMOs.

You do realise good MMO's take 4-5 years to make right?  I highly doubt it will look dated by then.  Cata's update looks mighty impressive graphic wise and its really not far behind anything released.

Hell look AoC is probably the best looking realistic graphics we got using DX10.  TSW is using the same engine, what else that is being released is even off the DX9 coming out?  None that I'm aware of, though I haven't followed them closely.  To say this will looked dated in 4 1/2 years is a bit laughable.  People need to understand regardless of where we are at technology wise, until people actually shell out money for a PC to game with, developers are going to go for max available players and make sure their games work on computers build 3-4 years ago.  So basically if we are looking at 2016, look at what you can go buy at walmart, target, or bestbuy for around 400-500 and that is what your going to be working with.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Originally posted by dougmysticey

So that makes me wonder if they have built the engine to have major graphics overhauls over time. Can you imagine, even in five years, how graphics and visuals will evolve. We will all probably be playing in 3D by then:) Heck, if this game keeps me going for five + years I will be amazed anyway. Even WOW only kept me for four. EQ I think I played for 3 or4 years but no MMO has kept me over five years yet.

Try looking up the Hero Engine it is a pretty cool engine I have worked with it a little on the demo engine via cloud networking you can alter worlds in realtime if you so wish.

http://www.heroengine.com/features/heroblade-all-in-one-development-environment/

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by D_TOX

I find their lack of incompetence... Disturbing. :D

lol.  Good one. 

From a personal view, lets hope their plans dont translate into a massively-multiplayer gaming environment that is as community-fracturing as it was with STO with their heavily instanced lobby-system model.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Originally posted by TweFoju

let's see that is 14 years from now, in 14 years i will be 37, wow, i dont know if i will stil play game at that age... lol

Ah I love the ignorance of youth :)

You stay sassy!

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

What the heck!! I might be in love with this game. Darn you might say that I married SWTOR. But still, if I look at from a bit different prespective, what a waste of time this will be.

I read an article a little while ago, it talked about how todays girls would prefer to win beauty contest over noble prize.

ARE WE MOVING BACKWARDS!!!!????

• ZippsnZippsn Member Posts: 31

Remember Mass Effect 2. There are many worlds. You don't have to make planets as big as actual planets. Planets on a Galaxy Map can have different meanings. Perhaps it's only a very small planet, which you visit, because there is a mission to fullfill. Maybe one with only one big city in the sky or a pvp battlefield. 

Just my thoughts :)

• malroth67malroth67 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    I'm thinking that there are going to be many small planets where they will probably be a resource spot rather that fleshed out planets. Maybe certain types of spawns or something for resource collection. Or, even some type of battleground planets, kinda like putting shield generators on 3 or 4 planets, have to disable them in order to get to the big planet :)
  • tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

That's cool. I'm looking forward to 2025. :p

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

He's actually saying 19 worlds in the DH transcription.

Which is 2 more than currently announced.

also from DH:

4:26p: Question: How many worlds at launch? JO: Oh, so this is the question that I have to answer again to make up for my screw up from yesterday. There are 17 full major worlds in the game, there are other minor worlds in the game as well.

http://darthhater.com/2011/07/22/sdcc-2011-day-2-live-blog-coverage/

Ah ok.

Didn't look too closely at nr.2 I guess. They should link it in the article though.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Well atleast we know they plan to fully support the game for a long time. This definitely sounds promising.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Seffren

37 worlds a year if they release in 2K12.

Pr machine is at lightning speed imo.

I doubt that is going to happen. Unless they start charging people every time they pop out a planet.  These people are definately more focused on milking the consumer than the average gaming company is.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

starting to sound more like the SWTOR forums over here. People over ecstatic about nothing.  There is no way in hell they will add 500 worlds, he has the audacity for even making such a baseless claim.

I mean , c'mon be realistic.. the only way something like this will happen, is if they get reckless and just starting making crap so they can get more of your money.. Quantity is not always quality.. That means they have to cut back on creativity and imagination, just to start popping out nothing worlds at a high pace .

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

damn it i,ll be dead by then..i,ll have to give account to my son..if i get it that is.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

And how many microtransactions would EA divide those 483 extra planets into?

How disconnected is EA when it comes to their holdings?  Just because UO surpassed this magical 13 year benchmark, doesn't mean that TOR has a chance in hell of doing the same thing.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It's not a claim. Some people take everything way too literally.

Anytime they tell us something in "a way of speaking" it's taken way out of context.

Let me translate it for you: they want to add as many planets as possible during the lifespan of the game.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by TweFoju

let's see that is 14 years from now, in 14 years i will be 37, wow, i dont know if i will stil play game at that age... lol

I will actually be 37 this fall. I have been playing games since I could pick up an atari controller. I am still playing games and I will play them until I die. So I can assure you... you will be playing at 37 too.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

2025? lol. This game will be comparable to pong by then. It's ridiculous to even talk about anything game-related when it's that far off. Take a look at Diablo 2, SWG, Unreal Tournament, EverQuest, Ultimate Online... games that are roughly only 10 years old, yet appear to be ancient. The same concept applies. By 2016, this game will really start to show age when compared to the rest of the new crop.

Moreover, it's not about additional content. It's about what we can do with that content. Do I simply go where I'm told 24-7? Is the world virtuall useless after I "out level" it?

This is game is a pure Theme Park... a very good one. What they need to do for future advancement is add in some mild sandbox elements - self-sustaining content, e.g., planets where guilds can plop down houses, halls, etc.

And yet people are still playing Ultima Online...its nuts but not THAT nuts.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

THough i have to admit I am hard-pressed to remember what i was doing ten years ago lol

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445

"Hi, i work for ea/mythic and we will have capital city seiges for all of our capital cities"...

Sounds familiar, eyes bigger than the stomach, mouth bigger than the wallet, money talks bs walks...

If they do great then it looks like it will be supported if not it will turn into a raisin on the grapevine.

• meatsimmeatsim Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by dougmysticey

They are considering/ testing Guild Capital ships. Massive moving guild houses where you can land your personal start ship and congregate. I think that is cooler than guild houses and wanted to point that out.

capitol ship guild houses... if they're gonna do that then they need to let them have combat and that'll mean drop the tunnel shooter space theme.

capitol ship pvp in a tunnel shooter would just be a head on crash :P

• UlrichCDGUlrichCDG Member Posts: 2

The comment was made in a joking manner to illustrate that they plan on making a long running game with new content on a regular basis.

Problem is now blogs, news, and mmo sites are using it as a headline to grab traffic to their respective sites. 

• UlrichCDGUlrichCDG Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by airbender13

Tgis engine look`s realy bad comparsing to" Cryengine 3" or even "Terra"

and In 2025 this engine will look like mario looks now XD

IMHO Wrong engine to make a game for a decades !

Ultima Online has been around since 09/24/1997 and is still going strong. The graphics are pretty out of date and tired! But, you see a game is more then a pretty picture; it's also about content, enjoyment, and replayablity.

MMO graphics are always behind a focused game like MW, BF, and/or Crysis for a reason. MMO's have so many more things going on in the back ground then a shooter or a single focus game that comparing the two is like trying to compare apples and penises; it just doesnt work.

graphic comparison:

Skyrim > Guild Wars 2

Skyrim > Old Republic

Skyrim > Tera

lol

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Is the CE $150 bucks because it comes with a hard drive?

Side note:  MMO's also keep their graphics more simple so that a wider customer base can run the game at a decent fps.

No bitchers.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Didn't Bioware have two years of future content slated for Dragon Age: Origins?  I think they barely got to one year before the content stopped flowing.

@UlrichCDG:  I understand your sentiments that MMOs generally have inferior graphics, but Skyrim isn't near as impressive as it may seem from still shots.  The shadows, particles, and lighting are still pretty hokey.  A slight step up Oblivion in most regards, but they're still not leagues better than this generation of MMOs coming out.

• Bizze66Bizze66 Member Posts: 22

2025? Even tho I've pre-ordered, games like ArcheAge are the future. I'll be probably playing a new mmo/sandbox game in 3 yrs. andI should have 1 or 2 characters topped out in SWToR by then. That's even with a busy RL. 2025? Puleez!