Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Official Video

deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_0xTDlI25k

the video shows player movement and traffic throguhout the land of MO showing areas most traveled which will likely only be familiar or interesting to those who play or played MO

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Comments

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Great..

What's the point of this?  *confused*

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Idk why these guys are even trying anymore, they've more than proven they can't run a functional game.

Bug after bug after bug after bug. Put the maimed horse down already.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

I think it's their way of trying to convince people the game isn't completely dead... however if I was in their shoes and the game WAS active I'd rather just have in-game cameras set up in various locations and have time-scapes in a video where time travels quickly and you see a swarm of people going about their business.  

Full Sail University - Game Design

• RedRocketRedRocket Member CommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by

Once every minute or so the positions of all players in Nave are stored.

..in the remaining 59 seconds, your char doesn't remains on spot in a running position until it warps 2 kilometers further. "Or so".

:D

Now, if we did the same with customers in a store.. "woah here we have customers going there and there and in and out", would that make you visit the same store? Wtf is this about?!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by DAS1337

Great..

What's the point of this?  *confused*

As far as I can tell it's some far fetched attempt to make the population look healthy by showing (in 1 minute increments) every spot that a character has stood. Not clear if this is since Dawn (almost 2 months) or release (13 months).

Now what might be a neat use for this would be a simple snapshot .. so just showing white dots for every player currently logged in and then zooming out so we can see the whole world.  That would be neat.  Currently it just looks like something they wasted time on instead of re-enabling all the stuff turned off in the game due to exploits and bugs...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

im sure it is useful for the actual devs though being able to see which areas and paths are frequently used and which areas seem to be pvp hotspots.

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

As far as I can tell it's some far fetched attempt to make the population look healthy by showing (in 1 minute increments) every spot that a character has stood. Not clear if this is since Dawn (almost 2 months) or release (13 months).

Now what might be a neat use for this would be a simple snapshot .. so just showing white dots for every player currently logged in and then zooming out so we can see the whole world.  That would be neat.  Currently it just looks like something they wasted time on instead of re-enabling all the stuff turned off in the game due to exploits and bugs...

"Once every minute or so", we know what that means, coming out of the mouth of a SV employee. It may mean the time intervals are completey made up, but rather, the whole material is made up because I can't believe they wasted time on developing a system to track and keep records of player movements. By that I mean, I really can't believe that they have the know-how to produce a system like that, even though it isn't complicated and would certainly explain the lag.

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

With such a sophisticated tracking program you would wonder why people get stuck on terrain still.  I bet SV wishes they had .0001% of those dots as actuall subs. 

I agree with this guy in the official thread.

Unread Today, 22:52

#7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 2 DarkWarrior27 is an unknown quantity at this point!!

I think that was amazing; however, this raises the question when the hell did they have the time to do this when they should be fixing the damn game. Though it's still pretty awesome

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say, 'I think it's pretty!"

To those harping about "the sophisticated tracking software", the "tracking software" would be the game. Without constantly tracking the movement of all the players , there is no game. 

As to "every minute or so" the server is not going to get results back from every subserver simultaneously.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by osmunda

Well, if anyone should ask me why, I say, 'I think it's pretty!"

To those harping about "the sophisticated tracking software", the "tracking software" would be the game. Without constantly tracking the movement of all the players , there is no game. 

As to "every minute or so" the server is not going to get results back from every subserver simultaneously.

i agree with this guy

This is what I am talking about when I say fanbois wear rosie red glasses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleiz View Post

Very cool.

Kinda like the Cerebro thing in X-Men. Shoulda hired Patrick Stewart to do the narration.

That would probably cost 3 months of game development 

That is actually pretty cool and shows, as many of us have noticed, that server pop has been pretty solid lately.

Makes the game look a lot more populated than it actually is.

[DC]Pala : Guardzone is amazing

[DC]Pala : So full of force.

Magree : And without remorse.

[GM]Gradius:Quite amusing.

You do not know if this is a capture of the roaming from release.  Also it could be 100 people making all those dots over time.  That is not a capture of one day in the life of MO. 

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Originally posted by Moreplex

You do not know if this is a capture of the roaming from release.  Also it could be 100 people making all those dots over time.  That is not a capture of one day in the life of MO. 

"The following 3d landscapes were generated from player activity, sampled from the last few days."

You are correct, it is not a capture of one day in the life of MO. (Nor do they say it is)

Originally posted by osmunda

"The following 3d landscapes were generated from player activity, sampled from the last few days."

You are correct, it is not a capture of one day in the life of MO. (Nor do they say it is)

Few days. 3? 30? 100?

Hundreds of new skills?

They really know how to impress me.

Exactly " a few days: is very relative. "MO 2".  "Dawn will have little or no bugs".  "Tindrim on release".  Unless they show a time stamp on the beggining and the end then I and you do not know how many days "a few" is.  An even if it were 3 or 8 days those dots do not mean each one is a person they could be 1 person running all over the map. 

Rep Power: 2 aamupala86 is an unknown quantity at this point!!

Looks too populated than it really is, I think this whole thing is advertising trick more or less, nothing else.

If system like these really exists why not use it to monitor possible speedhacking or something like that, instead of making useless video out of it? I doubt system like this exists, really.

[21:16] <[AQ]Gigamo> they won a 8v6 at gaur hill where the rocks are not actually rocks but invisible walls, let them bathe in their temporary glory

[21:17] <[ARGO]Lover> they used invisible rocks as advantage?

[21:17] <[AQ]Gigamo> no we tried to use them but got stuck on them instead 

[21:18] <[ARGO]Lover> isn't that exploiting..?

Send a message via MSN to TizioSend a message via Skype™ to Tizio

Quote:

Originally Posted by aamupala86 View Post

Looks too populated than it really is, I think this whole thing is advertising trick more or less, nothing else.

If system like these really exists why not use it to monitor possible speedhacking or something like that, instead of making useless video out of it? I doubt system like this exists, really.

Are you really thinking they are using this new system only for make this cool video?

DUUUHHHH!

Cool technology... thou quite misleading and pointless. Would be lot more interesting to see a full Nave map with that tracking over a day, in order to get real perspective, and not a few blurred out towns.

For all we know it could be 20 people making all those lines over past? two weeks, so don't get wrong impression of big population people.

CronnixMO 9 hours ago

I agree

Like I said in a previous thread.  MO is a game where you need to go to the forums to trade and get info about the game.  new players have to go there to learn how to play.  There has been a few major polls in the forums and the polls in the paid section barely break 100.  Even the major poll in the General Section on What SV should do next has been up a week and it has under 200.  I think that shows pretty much around what the population is.

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Is it still called 'damage control' if people are trying to make a harmless video look damaging?

Originally posted by funkmastaD

Is it still called 'damage control' if people are trying to make a harmless video look damaging?

You don't think they want feedback on their work?

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I doubt if they tracked anything.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by RedRocket

Originally posted by funkmastaD

You don't think they want feedback on their work?

LOL.  Feedback is useful, when it's objective and constructive.  Much of the "feedback" from this website was predictable and biased toward the agenda of maintaining negative and exaggerated perceptions - that's not genuine feedback, that's nothing more than the obligatory, negative spin.  Pretty much useless and without credibility.

Some more information regarding the video:

Unread Today, 02:20

Developer

Rep Power: 0 Sebastian Persson is an unknown quantity at this point!!

Tracking players does not impact performance no, building the code to do it took around 5-10 min.

We decided to try it out to find the "dead zones" in the world so that we can add some more points of interest. It was never intended to be released to you folks it was simply something that turned out to look really cool and we decided to share it.

Important Programmer dude.

Dear MacGuyver, Enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Please save my dog.

Sebastian Persson is offline Add to Sebastian Persson's Reputation Report Post

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Originally posted by Rohn

LOL.  Feedback is useful, when it's objective and constructive.  Much of the "feedback" from this website was predictable and biased toward the agenda of maintaining negative and exaggerated perceptions - that's not genuine feedback, that's nothing more than the obligatory, negative spin.  Pretty much useless and without credibility.

Some more information regarding the video:

Unread Today, 02:20

Developer

Rep Power: 0 Sebastian Persson is an unknown quantity at this point!!

Tracking players does not impact performance no, building the code to do it took around 5-10 min.

We decided to try it out to find the "dead zones" in the world so that we can add some more points of interest. It was never intended to be released to you folks it was simply something that turned out to look really cool and we decided to share it.

Important Programmer dude.

Dear MacGuyver, Enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Please save my dog.

Sebastian Persson is offline Add to Sebastian Persson's Reputation Report Post

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

So you only want the fanboy feedback. I would suggest only reading the heavily censored official forums then.

By the way, "Tracking players does not impact performance" is a ridiculous statement when lag, warping and broken nodelines render the game unplayable.

PS: 5-10 minutes = 100s of new skills.

Originally posted by deathshroud

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

{mod edit} Since SV's inception there has not been 1 patch that did not break the game.  Dawn was over a month ago and the game has been in a quite broken state since.  That is fact. 

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

"over the last few days or so" = since the game released, overlapped x10.

As others have said, their time could have been better spent making the game worth playing.

Joined - July 2004

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by remyburke

As others have said, their time could have been better spent making the game worth playing.

Everyone's opinion varies with games - I think MO is worth playing.

As to the tracking system, it was implemented not to make this video, but to make the game better, as explained by Sebastian Persson:

We decided to try it out to find the "dead zones" in the world so that we can add some more points of interest.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• DreCat11DreCat11 Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Rohn

Originally posted by remyburke

Everyone's opinion varies with games - I think MO is worth playing.

As to the tracking system, it was implemented not to make this video, but to make the game better, as explained by Sebastian Persson:

We decided to try it out to find the "dead zones" in the world so that we can add some more points of interest.

You dont get it? They wasted time doing this crap instrad of polishing the broken game they have now? Why? Why not fix the broken game before adding anything new? Does that make sence?

Its like saying, I bought Gas so i can go to Walmart but my cars engine is blown, Why did you buy gas when your car(game) doesnt work!

Poor move on SV once again proves that all they do is try to hype a broken game that they cant fix.....

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

You can tell the coolness of any given MO video by checking out the amount of hate thrown at it in it's thread.  This one must be pretty cool.