Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge: The Trial System Concerns

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Garrett Fuller takes a look at the buzz generated by ArcheAge, and questions whether the game's sandbox systems such as player trials really can work in practice.

ArcheAge has been growing on the site a lot lately. The sandbox style game coming out of Asia has garnered some support from our fanbase so we thought to discuss what we know so far and what we expect from the game. ArcheAge has some interesting points and some throwback style game play that we all love as MMO players. However, will it work with the Western audience? More importantly will their player trial system work?

Read the rest of Garrett Fuller's ArcheAge: The Trial System Concerns.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

honestly, if they do it right to begin with, i think it will interesting to see the exploiters and the idealists clash. i mean the system would have to be done right, but i can see eve-style emergent gameplay coming out of this if it is. of course the trick to this is letting the players have the greater part of control over how the system plays out.

• depaindepain Member Posts: 263

They better have a US Release. I've been excited about this game for quite some time.

SOE should just buy it, change a few skins, and call it EQ3.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    I say good luck getting the player trail to work with the American crowd, even more so this game being a PVP game. It will be an abused feature in the player hate player wars that always a side affect of rival pvp communties. Much like how the fans of a You Tube channel will mass vote the offensive button some somebody who against that channels creator.
  • TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

it will be interesting, I imagine the trial system will be automated somehow, based on votes on something like that.

• tshack88tshack88 Member Posts: 48

I wouldn't mind seeing someone like NCSoft picking it up.  They do right to their developers and let them do what they need to.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Originally posted by tshack88

I wouldn't mind seeing someone like NCSoft picking it up.  They do right to their developers and let them do what they need to.

Until they close the game down for not making as much money as they think it should (regardless of whether or not it's profitable).

With regards to the trial system, I see it being heavily abused without really adding to the game.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by depain

They better have a US Release. I've been excited about this game for quite some time.

That would kill this game faster than almost anything else. SOE hasn't recovered from it's negative rep from SWG and add in their recent issues with security and ArchAge wouldn't have a chance.

No, SOE is the LAST thing ArchAge needs to have any dealings with.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by IAmMMO

I say good luck getting the player trail to work with the American crowd, even more so this game being a PVP game. It will be an abused feature in the player hate player wars that always a side affect of rival pvp communties. Much like how the fans of a You Tube channel will mass vote the offensive button some somebody who against that channels creator.

That has nothing to do with an "American Crowd". Same issue would happen with any country's crowd. Case in point your reference to Youtube which is not an American only accessed site. People from all over the world, including your neighbors, access and vote on that site.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I actually agree with this statement.  While many people are now scared of SOE this seems to be the type of sandbox/themepark hybrid that many of us expect EQ Next to be.

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

Ugh, SOE would be an albatross ... They have been going down hill for a long time.

I'm really interested to see how ArcheAge plays out. I'd certainly like to take a peak at it.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

EA should publish Archeage, they will make more money than with SWTOR

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Was really looking forward to this one.  To bad another sandbox going down the "Oh it's a sandbox it has to have FFA pvp".

Anyone else tired of hearing "if done right"?  No system will ever be done right because it is impossible to predict the ingenuity of people desire to act like asses.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

With a true free for all that encourages group prosecution this will be an exercise in barbarism and corruption. Put on your +5 ring versus Butt-Hurt and it should be an awesome game.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Each to his, but a FFA-PVP is not for me. I loved the other ideas about ArchAge, but I don't want a PVP game. I want to do my PVE in peace. So it's a pity but as long as they don't announced PVE-servers I pass. The trials are only the cherry on top of the No-No.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

Originally posted by Venger

Was really looking forward to this one.  To bad another sandbox going down the "Oh it's a sandbox it has to have FFA pvp".

Anyone else tired of hearing "if done right"?  No system will ever be done right because it is impossible to predict the ingenuity of people desire to act like asses.

I agree with you.

Why not make the pvp a choice?

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Jake song was one of the people behind nexus. they had a trial system in that game, that seemed to be pretty interesting.  Not sure how this one is supposed to be, but It seems different and I like different.  I also like PVP tbh...

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• oramiooramio Member Posts: 121

The only case I will not play Archeage is if SOE buys the game. I promise you all not to play the game if SOE buys it.

• BoA*BoA* Member UncommonPosts: 159

Originally posted by Sandbox

I agree with you.

If you looked around a bit, you might have realized its supposed to be ffa pvp on the third island, not the first two. Think of the third island as 0.0 sec 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Seeing as the trial system only appears at this time to be to semi control own faction killing, and has no effect on other factions (inc the Reds) from ganking you 24/7 while you try and harvest your crops and build your house, this game is looking to be an ugly outright gankfest set in very pretty world. XL need to start talking about the alternate server types they would entertain to stay attractive to a lot of western folks imo.

Originally posted by BoA*

Originally posted by Sandbox

I agree with you.

If you looked around a bit, you might have realized its supposed to be ffa pvp on the third island, not the first two. Think of the third island as 0.0 sec 

The only people that will generate bloods if they kill you are your own faction members.

As it stands the other faction and the Reds will be able to kill you anywhere with impunity and loot you, so yeah you might be kind of protected from your neighbour PKing you but thats not gonna help you much when gank squads perma camp you when all you wanna do is gather your crops...

An optional PvP server, with it limited to the 3rd continent and surrounding waters and BGs, would be what I am looking for.

Open world PvP in level/ gear based games is just for angry teens to use as therapy and I don't play games to be part of that.

Originally posted by Mardukk

I actually agree with this statement.  While many people are now scared of SOE this seems to be the type of sandbox/themepark hybrid that many of us expect EQ Next to be.

lol you really expect that for EQ3 off SOE as it is now??

I fully expect it to be a cash shopped to death Free Realms with a fantasy skin.

• kingfelixkingfelix Member UncommonPosts: 214

Yeah and when they try to "improve" ArcheAge with some new game enhancements, I'm sure it's popularity will soar.

I think as long as companies like SOE don't get anywhere near this game it might be one of the best things to happen MMOs in a long time.

• kingfelixkingfelix Member UncommonPosts: 214

Accidentally posted twice. My bad.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I hopr they stick to their guns. Screw the whiners.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Palebane

I hopr they stick to their guns. Screw the whiners.

Yea stick to their guns or make some alternate server, but I liked the set up aion had  without the pve servers...  

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"