Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon comic preview (FREE)

dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

You can catch it over here. It debuts at San Diego ComicCon today.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

Comments

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Very cool! Thanks for sharing :D

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

So that's what all the players are doing. No wonder the EU-server is empty...

• ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by dsmart

Pretty cool Derek.  So where can we buy the whole comic at?(print version)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by Arthineas

Pretty cool Derek.  So where can we buy the whole comic at?(print version)

I believe the first 30 cels are free but after that you pay for it.

Actually, I thought he said they were made to hand out at Comic Con.  I didn't see any kind of pricing or UPC on the cover.

Although I'm not sure this comic is for the Alganon we know.  Apparently they got this from Fringe's alternate universe where Alganon was a "hit"(see cover ... snicker) .

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Why does it say "Based on the hit free-to-play mmo"?  I know that Alganon is taking strides to recover from its horrible losses, but I do not think it deserves the title "hit free-to-play mmo" just yet.  A game like Champions Online or Forsaken World might deserve that title, but not Alganon, not yet.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

It's a well written comic. Short, but well written, and it does its purpose: setting up the stage for the upcoming expansion. I've read the full issue. If you're not at Comic Con, the comic will be available in a few weeks in a digital format, but the physical copy is exclusive to Comic Con.

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by MadDemon64

Why does it say "Based on the hit free-to-play mmo"?  I know that Alganon is taking strides to recover from its horrible losses, but I do not think it deserves the title "hit free-to-play mmo" just yet.  A game like Champions Online or Forsaken World might deserve that title, but not Alganon, not yet.

It's this neat little idea called "Marketing", don't know if you ever heard of it. It's that thing that gets you really hyped up for a game, and since you're an mmorpg.com poster, really pissed off when the game launches.

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Originally posted by nhavas

Originally posted by MadDemon64

It's this neat little idea called "Marketing", don't know if you ever heard of it. It's that thing that gets you really hyped up for a game, and since you're an mmorpg.com poster, really pissed off when the game launches.

[Mod Edit]

I think we're both being misunderstood here. Essentially, though, think of it this way: Alganon doesn't have extreme wide-spread popularity like RoM or PWI / FW, and as such isn't known about by as many gamers.

Tie this in with a comic published by DC being given away at one of the biggest comic cons in the world, to an audience where the majority have not heard of the game, and you've got what you could basically call a "soft relaunch" of Alganon.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

[Mod Edit]

The fact is this: It is a marketing spend designed to promote the game's upcoming expansion. And this is not something we cooked up on our own. It took months of planning with several people at QOL and DC (who assigned it to top of the line artists, inkers and writer). Not to mention getting it picked up by the likes of DC Comics no less.

As a marketing spend, it is no more different than the print (PG Gamer, Beckett's etc) and online marketing I've been doing since last year in order to continue promoting the game.

The last time I looked, nobody in this forum has a clue what marketing is or entails and you can never stop marketing a product as long as you can afford to do so.

Anyway the comic is exclusive to San Diego and New York ComicCon. It will also be available for free online in a couple of weeks, including on the DC outlets, iPad etc. It is not for sale - that's why it is a marketing spend.

The game doesn't need millions of players to survive or to stay afloat; so say what you want, frankly we simply don't care. Those who actually care, are playing the game. We care, so we keep supporting it and I keep putting money into it.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

I've cleaned this thread of any off-topic/trolling posts. Please remember to be constructive in your criticism and stay on topic.

Thanks for the reply.  Its a bummer about  not being able to buy a physical copy.  Where would be the best place to download it once it becomes available?

It will be on our website and several other places. I will post the list once SDCC is over and the full version is made available.

The full comic is now online.

Also, you will be able to pickup a print copy at the upcoming New York ComicCon

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Here is my review of the comic.

It does an ok job of introducing the new race, but does a poor job of introducing the characters.  We are told their names and shown their faces, but not given any backstory, which doesn't make me want to connect with them.  I say an ok job of introducing the new race, because it tells us a bit of their backstory, but only a bit.  There are many questions remaining about them that are unanswered.

The story was mediocre and predictable, and there were terms that were thrown around that were never explained.

For what it is (an introduction to the new race), it serves its purpose, but nothing else, and is for the most part forgettable.  I really don't see this becoming its own series.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

The full comic is now online.

Also, you will be able to pickup a print copy at the upcoming New York ComicCon

Thanks for the update :)