Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Collector's Edition Discussion (Cost/Items/Opinions)

Comments

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by busdriver

Originally posted by Kalfer

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by BarakIII

As has been explained in earlier threads, the reason for the costs is the statue, which by itself would cost something in the 60-70 dollar range. Also I don't see why anyone would think an MMO would be any different in terms of having a CE than any other type of game, that makes no sense at all. Most MMOs that have box sales also have a CE, it's nothing new. Also this is a Star Wars game, did you really expect anything Star Wars related wouldn't have a collectors edition? I mean seriously? Half the money Lucas Arts makes is from collector memorabilia. Nobody should be shocked or surprised by this.

Leaving the ridiculously over priced CE edition aside, for now, they are also charging £49.99 for the standard box through Origin.

Are you going to justify that as well?

All the signs point to EA understanding that this game, due to it's design and implementation, needs to recoup a ton of cash off it's initial box sales. I will let you all discuss why they think this. It is very much tied in to the fact they are not having a open beta so that folks cannot see the game before buying.

For a AAA title, 49,99 seems to be the norm.

No, £50 for a new game ISNT the 'norm'.  Thats 50 POUNDs, not dollars. Thats just over $80 in conversion.

As for no Open Beta - No, not really.

well, believe what you wanna believe here, but any dev that hides it's product up to the last minute from the mass public has something they don't want you to see imo, especially before asking you to spunk a premium price over it.

Origin - Is most likely due to download. The strain on their servers for downloading 30+ GB is massive Partiuclarly during a launch day serverload.

If you buy it in stores its 37 Pound; http://www.gamestop.ie/39622_PC_Star_Wars_The_Old_Republic.aspx

And if you do not want to pay for early access it can be as cheap as 27 pound if you pre-order from coolshop; http://www.coolshop.co.uk/catalog/product/57561-star-wars--the-old-republic--for-pc

Secondly - 95% of all games are released without a beta for you to play it. How is that hiding it? So Battlefield 3 is hiding something because you don't get to play the entire game in an beta before it's released?

That's beyond dumb, and you know it.

Stupid comparison, BF3 is no MMO. Open betas in MMOs serve two purpose; one to market the game, and the other to stresstest the servers. MMO not having an open beta doesn't sound too promising.

I was using his own logic against him. It's perfectly valid in the face of the absurdity he puts on display. And NO, a open beta is not is not to market the game.

That's a demo. Realize the difference please, and start reading up on marketing, and what it means to be alpha/beta.

• Originally posted by BarakIII

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Snaylor47n.
    60USD for a new game is over priced?
    That is the average cost for a new game.

Well, games have increased a lot in price so yes, it is somewhat pricy

and I will also repeat that £49.99 is just over $80, not $60.

It's 60 US here. I don't know why it would be so much more there. Perhaps someone who knows what it's like to do business in muitlple markets can explain it, I can't and don't really care. 60 dollars is pretty standard here and that's what it costs here. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation why you'd have to pay more there, but like I said I really don't know it. If it bothers people there so much then they shouldn't buy the game. I mean, if it were 80 dollars for a standard edition here I'd certainly have second thoughts about getting it.

UK£ 49.99 = 80.793838 U.S. dollars

As has been explained in earlier threads, the reason for the costs is the statue, which by itself would cost something in the 60-70 dollar range. Also I don't see why anyone would think an MMO would be any different in terms of having a CE than any other type of game, that makes no sense at all. Most MMOs that have box sales also have a CE, it's nothing new. Also this is a Star Wars game, did you really expect anything Star Wars related wouldn't have a collectors edition? I mean seriously? Half the money Lucas Arts makes is from collector memorabilia. Nobody should be shocked or surprised by this.

Leaving the ridiculously over priced CE edition aside, for now, they are also charging £49.99 for the standard box through Origin.

Are you going to justify that as well?

All the signs point to EA understanding that this game, due to it's design and implementation, needs to recoup a ton of cash off it's initial box sales. I will let you all discuss why they think this. It is very much tied in to the fact they are not having a open beta so that folks cannot see the game before buying.

For a AAA title, 49,99 seems to be the norm.

No, £50 for a new game ISNT the 'norm'.  Thats 50 POUNDs, not dollars. Thats just over $80 in conversion.

As for no Open Beta - No, not really.

well, believe what you wanna believe here, but any dev that hides it's product up to the last minute from the mass public has something they don't want you to see imo, especially before asking you to spunk a premium price over it.

Origin - Is most likely due to download. The strain on their servers for downloading 30+ GB is massive Partiuclarly during a launch day serverload.

ahh... c'mon... Steam don't charge £5 for 'server strain'... LOL

You are obviously scrabbling to justify this. (sever strain...lol)

Secondly - 95% of all games are released without a beta for you to play it. How is that hiding it?

Like I say, believe what you want, no need for silly name calling though. I know, from following the MMO scene for years, that still hiding your game behind a NDA when you start selling it and having no open beta is a BAD BAD BAD sign. If you do not know this then you cannot have been playing these games very long.

I love, how you ignore the 27 Pound link I found for the game at retail.

Origin is a service, and it's not steam. they can charge what they like. I'm not a server analyst. I have no idea why they are charging more. I am pretty sure GFWL is also more expensive(often) than retail, and I have no idea how it works with steam. Maybe its because not every steam game is 30+ gigs? I dunno.

But I have already debunked what you said - the game is priced competitively with other games, and thus your initial point is moot.

Second point - I'm not doing any name calling. You keep thinking it's a bad sign. I think you are clueless and misinformed. The NDA will be lifted before release, so people can see the screens/videos, and a lot of people will wait for the reviews before plunging in.

The game is so big it doesn't need an open beta. same reason why a giant AAA franchise like Halo dont get Demos at release. they don't do it, because interest is so large that the launch will be widescaled event. SWTOR is the biggest thing since WoW, so there is no need to it.

the average MMO gamer doesn't know about themepark and sandbox. It's only a haldful of us here who have been playing since the MUD days pre UO and M59.

Originally posted by Cikbik

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Snaylor47n.

60USD for a new game is over priced?

That is the average cost for a new game.

Well, games have increased a lot in price so yes, it is somewhat pricy

and I will also repeat that £49.99 is just over $80, not $60.

It's 60 US here. I don't know why it would be so much more there. Perhaps someone who knows what it's like to do business in muitlple markets can explain it, I can't and don't really care. 60 dollars is pretty standard here and that's what it costs here. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation why you'd have to pay more there, but like I said I really don't know it. If it bothers people there so much then they shouldn't buy the game. I mean, if it were 80 dollars for a standard edition here I'd certainly have second thoughts about getting it.

Reposting;

If you buy it in stores its 37 Pound; http://www.gamestop.ie/39622_PC_Star_Wars_The_Old_Republic.aspx

And if you do not want to pay for early access it can be as cheap as 27 pound if you pre-order from coolshop; http://www.coolshop.co.uk/catalog/product/57561-star-wars--the-old-republic--for-pc

For USD - The Old republic is charged 60 USD - The same price as Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3 and Skyrim. I'ts the norm for AAA PC titles.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

*snipsnipsnip*

Stupid comparison, BF3 is no MMO. Open betas in MMOs serve two purpose; one to market the game, and the other to stresstest the servers. MMO not having an open beta doesn't sound too promising.

They don't need an open beta to market the game. Lastly they already have more than enough people in testing to stress test their servers. I'm sure they already have a good idea about how many people their servers will hold. The hard part is figuring out just how many servers they will need. Blizzard severely underestimated how many people would play WoW and that's why they had so many issues early on. I hope Bioware has a better idea of what to expect, I don't want to deal with crashing servers and long queues because they underestimated how many people would play.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

I was using his own logic against him. It's perfectly valid in the face of the absurdity he puts on display. And NO, a open beta is not is not to market the game.

That's a demo. Realize the difference please, and start reading up on marketing, and what it means to be alpha/beta.

MMO developers insist on calling it an open beta as a marketing ploy. So often an open beta is a pre-release demo and hype generator. This happens even with single player games sometimes. It's pretty hard to realize the difference when for all practical purposes there isn't any.

Give examples? For games like Starcraft 2 there is a beta, but this is to test balancing. It's not the same as a demo.

You can find lots of quotes if you start digging - with numerous MMO developers saying that Open Betas are almost not worth it outside of the stress test due to the few people playing.

Demos, and for MMORPG - TRIALS, is what you have for marketing.

Developers are realizing that they dont get much productivity out of open betas, and now they are starting to stop doing them.

I love the other posters doomsdays analogy - games without open beta is a sure sign that they will suck(a very bad sign) - It doesn't prove anything. Some of the largest stinkers have had open betas - APB and FFXIV to name a few recent ones

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Sucateira

Originally posted by ArEf

Originally posted by Kyleran

Thanks, you made me smile this morning.

There is something seriously wrong about a figurine costing 100.00 US, just go take a look at all the other cool stuff 100.00 will buy you.

But to each their own.

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

People should stop buying CE from any games. Just looks retarded to me, the "i'm a collector" crap. You'll be buying the exact same game than everyone else. Same content, same characters, same everything.

And btw, dont put that figure in your living room in case your single. Next time a chick go there, she might lose her libido.

So, because you thing CEs are retarded, everyone else must start thinking like you? Nice. As for all the same stuff, yes the game is the same, characters same, everything?.....nope. Look at just the additional virtual items that are included. Then look at the soundtrack, art book, statue, map....

Also, having this stuff hasn't slowed down my wife's libido. So, I'm not sure it would slow down that of a girlfriend either.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

*snipsnipsnip*

BF3 could conceiveably be called an MMOFPS. They don't need an open beta to market the game. Lastly they already have more than enough people in testing to stress test their servers. I'm sure they already have a good idea about how many people their servers will hold. The hard part is figuring out just how many servers they will need. Blizzard severely underestimated how many people would play WoW and that's why they had so many issues early on. I hope Bioware has a better idea of what to expect, I don't want to deal with crashing servers and long queues because they underestimated how many people would play.

You can call it a pink elephant if you want to, it wouldn't make it one however. Same goes for MMO.

The rest of your text just shows you know next to nothing about stresstesting.

Using stupidity to refute stupidity is perfectly valid debate tactic?

Don't be stupid. Oops, too late.

Yes, of course all those thousands of open beta testers in any given MMO can't possibly market a game over the hundreds of forums in the Interwebz. There's just no way.

You dealing in absolutes take nothing away from the arguments I bring forth.

Now, you are arguing pointless semantics about word of mouth. *clap clap*

You are so off the argument train that you start steering into another direction because you have nothing to hold it in. Just admit that you are completely clueless and don't know what you are talking about.

Word of mouth will spread regardless. What a horrificly stupid argument!

*snipsnipsnip*

BF3 could conceiveably be called an MMOFPS. They don't need an open beta to market the game. Lastly they already have more than enough people in testing to stress test their servers. I'm sure they already have a good idea about how many people their servers will hold. The hard part is figuring out just how many servers they will need. Blizzard severely underestimated how many people would play WoW and that's why they had so many issues early on. I hope Bioware has a better idea of what to expect, I don't want to deal with crashing servers and long queues because they underestimated how many people would play.

You can call it a pink elephant if you want to, it wouldn't make it one however. Same goes for MMO.

{mod edit} What he said is sound. I have no idea how they will test the stress of the server. They might just have enough closed testers on a single server, organizing parties to stress one - Maybe they will risk having unstable servers. It's a possibility without a open beta(for SWTOR, not for BF3 - Barakill's argument was sound).

Originally posted by Cikbik

Is there some reason you're reposting that figure? I'm not questioning his math, I'm saying it's 60 dollars here in the US and that's normal for AAA titles. It is in fact 60 dollars here in the US, not 80.

*snipsnipsnip*

You're right, I know next to nothing about BF3, only what I've heard and I've already edited that out of my post before I saw this. As to the rest, you're simply wrong.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

There is something seriously wrong about a figurine costing 100.00 US, just go take a look at all the other cool stuff 100.00 will buy you.

But to each their own.

That's why it's a Collector's Editon. A collector will pay that much or more if it suits them. Most people won't. They'll just buy the standard box.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Using stupidity to refute stupidity is perfectly valid debate tactic?

Don't be stupid. Oops, too late.

Yes, of course all those thousands of open beta testers in any given MMO can't possibly market a game over the hundreds of forums in the Interwebz. There's just no way.

You dealing in absolutes take nothing away from the arguments I bring forth.

Now, you are arguing pointless semantics about word of mouth. *clap clap*

You are so off the argument train that you start steering into another direction because you have nothing to hold it in. Just admit that you are completely clueless and don't know what you are talking about.

Word of mouth will spread regardless. What a horrificly stupid argument!

You mean like the comparison of a multiplayer game and an MMO? Yes, you really hit the nail in the head with that one.

Word of mouth marketing is actually a very powerful way to market a product. But surely you knew that already?  {mod edit}

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

The box and the figure makes it more expencive, tho SW:TOR is about 50,- up compared to other CE editions of games.

Meh, not gona get it anyway unless you like colecting models i uspose its no real deal (maybe maybe the ingame CE shop might be nice but eh to little info on that) then i comes for me to the Digital deluxe or regulair version, the goodies there aint to fancy for me either, I hate the bike design (its the one you seen in the vids or a very simulair one) the combat assit droid and the holodancer/cam might be fun but is it worth that much more from a regulair edition.. not realy, not for me so I will go for the basic version :P  (and no i dint mention the flare gun.. like it shoots flares in the air..ohhh fireworks..whooo im exsited..not ;) )

love this little thing in thier pre-order Faq , marketing at its best.. (or worced ..)

No, pre-ordering the Game in no way affects your chances of gaining entrance to the Game Testing Program. However, the sooner you redeem your Pre-Order Code the sooner you will be eligible to gain Early Game Access.

bit let down by thier conversion rates tho, europians pay between 10-30% more then the US players ...again :P

(thats incl the VAT cauculations, hence that some pay 10% and others 30% more, VAT is not egual in europian union or regulair europian countries(non EU members) 

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Not really a surprise here OP, hardcore fans and collectors will gobble them up so fast your head will spin, it is SW afterall and being made by bioware no less..

Playing GW2..

Here is a link to give you an idea as to why the cost for the CE is so much. I tried the Gentle Giant official site first, but it wasn't working. It probably crashed due to interest created by the CE announcement.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=523&company=39

• SucateiraSucateira Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by Sucateira

Originally posted by ArEf

Thanks, you made me smile this morning.

But to each their own.

{mod edit}

{mod edit}

People should stop buying CE from any games. Just looks retarded to me, the "i'm a collector" crap. You'll be buying the exact same game than everyone else. Same content, same characters, same everything.

And btw, dont put that figure in your living room in case your single. Next time a chick go there, she might lose her libido.

So, because you thing CEs are retarded, everyone else must start thinking like you? Nice. As for all the same stuff, yes the game is the same, characters same, everything?.....nope. Look at just the additional virtual items that are included. Then look at the soundtrack, art book, statue, map....

Also, having this stuff hasn't slowed down my wife's libido. So, I'm not sure it would slow down that of a girlfriend either.

errr... no, I didn't said everyone else "must" start thinking like me.

Btw.. aren't the virtual items their property? Same with our characters along the customization you made? That cool looking lighsaber with super unique colour? 

About the soundtrack, you mean the soundtrack everyone will listen while playing the game? Or the art book you will look at only once? ...a statue.. ohh awsome and a map with.. zones?

Anyway, I respect that some people want to buy it. But I personally think its all useless and a retarded way to exploit the hype going on in gamers heads this days.

Also, its also retarded (in my retarded brain) to pre order a product that don't exist yet.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I went to bet laughing my ass off that people would pay 150 for the preorder for the collectors edition.  Then was so shocked and happy to see the preorder in my email today that I dropped 150 on the collectors edition...lol

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

I hate to ruin it for everyone but I'm one of those guys who likes to get the premium stuff, and I dont really care at what cost. Money is no issue for me and I know I wont get any awards for ideal costumer from you guys haha. I like themepark MMO's based on awesome IPs (oh noes he doesnt luv sandbox, let hang him boys!).

Pricing and payment/sub model are the very last of my worries about a game, and then after that comes which company is developing/publishing said game which judging by this site is also blasphemy (wut he played SWG up until CU and doesnt hate SOE? outrageous!).

This is just another thing on a long list of non-issues the haters are hating on. I mean if you think for example swimming is a fundamental part of MMO's then that's your loss. Personally I havent played a single underwater zone in almost a dozen games over the last 8 years that wasnt just a huge hassle and miserably fail. But that's just me I guess. =)

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363

Just orderd mine from Amazon I trust Amazon and I want the collectors edition since I've been waiting for this game since Nov. 2005.

Yea Yea Yea :)

Ajax

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

$150 seems reasonable for all you get.

Personally, I wanted the authenticator ($8 value?), the map, and the music CD's.  $70 above and beyond the 'deluxe digital edition' is a bit steep for that but I figure I can sell that Darth Malgus statue on ebay for at least $40.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Value is relative.  If you think that price is worth it, and many people will, then buy the game at that price.  If you think it's too expensive then don't.  Nobody's forcing your hand either way...

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

Just wait a few months after release and you might be able to snag it for much, much cheaper. I got the AoC CE for around $20 (shipped) that way.

• Originally posted by Feydaway

$150 seems reasonable for all you get.

Personally, I wanted the authenticator ($8 value?), the map, and the music CD's.  $70 above and beyond the 'deluxe digital edition' is a bit steep for that but I figure I can sell that Darth Malgus statue on ebay for at least $40.

thats actually not a bad plan seeing as how those are the same things i pre order the CE for and couldn't care less about the statue.  also the holocam sounds interesting. an ingame way to record stuff