Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turn based MMORPG

PolantarisPolantaris Member Posts: 54

I'm looking for a turn based MMO, that has a decent amount of content.  A P2P one is fine so long as there's no box to buy (Unless it's cheap), and as long as it includes a free trial, I don't pay for any MMO without trying it first.

Games I've played that are under this kind of criteria:

Atlantica Online - I liked it, but then randomly got banned after doing nothing in the mid 10x of levels.  I'm not redoing all that work, so this game is out.  They still never gave me a reason as to why i was banned, and to this date I have no idea.

Wakfu - I just tried Wakfu the other day.  I really like this battle system, but the whole ecosystem stuff really turns me off.  It's too much mundane work making sure everything is up to par.  I don't want to be the reason a species goes extinct, or why trees are suddenly scarce, or any other one of a million things I could accidentally do wrong.  If it were just the battle system, without the ecosystem stuff, this thread wouldn't even exist because the battle system is very akin to what I'm looking for.  The ecosystem stuff just kills it.  If I wanted to plant stuff for half my day, I'd go outside and make a garden.

I'm sure I've played other Turn Based MMOs, but those are the two that I know are popular/good, and come to mind right away.  I might have played any suggestions, but until I hear the name I might never even think of it.

Suggestions, anyone?  I'm open for anything Turn-Based...I'm in a TB mood, but I'm sick of playing those types of games alone (IE, DQ, FF, etc).

---
This is but a brief parting.

Comments

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

How about Dofus?  Dofus is basically Wakfu without the ecosystem stuff thingies ~ ^_^

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Anarchy Online is turn based, believe it or not. It's pretty seamless, and fast paced, but it is.

• PolantarisPolantaris Member Posts: 54

I've played Anarchy Online in the past...something about it...I dunno I just didn't like it.  I know that's not really a valid excuse, but maybe I should retry it because it was a while ago (Like, 3 years ago).

@Dofus: Hmm is it?  I assumed that Wakfu was almost the same thing with a new name, IE basically a sequel.  I'll give it a try, although some of the people I ran into in Wakfu said that Dofus' battle system isn't as good.  Dunno how true that is.

Any more suggestions are still welcome.

---

• DaftDaft Member UncommonPosts: 170

I am playing the Wakfu beta right now and it is what i was looking for. To bad they are going to do a character wipe. :( anyway the only other turn based mmorpg i played was Zodiac online.

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 247

Darkwind is awesome, its different and unique and tough as nails, but its damn good fun.

Other than that you could try some good old school browser games like Nodiatis or Domain of Heroes. Both solid turn based RPGs.

EDIT: Might wanna give Pox Nora a look too.

Originally posted by Daft

I am playing the Wakfu beta right now and it is what i was looking for. To bad they are going to do a character wipe. :( anyway the only other turn based mmorpg i played was Zodiac online.

Never heard of Zodiac Online myself.

I absolutely agree that Wakfu has some great points in it, and if Dofus' battle system the same thing, I'll probably stay with Dofus for a while.  The problem with Wakfu, as I stated in my original post is the Ecosystem stuff.  I can see there being a ton of problems with that entire system, both because of newbies, and "trolls" who want to ruin the gameplay for other people (And it seems like it would be extremely easy once the game is released if the system stays the way it is).  All they would have to do is just go on a rampage area by area and just take everything out.  Since almost nothing respawns, it would probably take days for the legit players to recover the regions from a widespread attack of that nature.  I would love the idea if there weren't so many assholes on the Internet now-a-days.  Well, that and it's kinda tedious to make sure you don't take any more than you put back.

Originally posted by BarelyEin

Darkwind is awesome, its different and unique and tough as nails, but its damn good fun.

Other than that you could try some good old school browser games like Nodiatis or Domain of Heroes. Both solid turn based RPGs.

Never heard of any of those four.  I'm gonna make a list and try them out.  I can report what I think if you guys are curious too.

Downloading Dofus right now since I already have an account from Wakfu.

Originally posted by BarelyEin

---

I tried PoX nora but I didnt really like it much...Its more RTS than RPG so that might be a problem but it was pretty good.  Just not what I was looking for at the time ^_^ Its a lil like advanced wars IIRC :)

As for Dofus, Im downloading it right now and Ill let you know what its like when I test it out :)  Granted I have never played Wakfu so I wont be able to do comparey wif iitt :)

Edit :

Lol you edited while I was typing XD

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I can report what I think if you guys are curious too.

Please do. I wish everyone would come back and report whether or not they liked the games that were suggested to them. It would really help the suggestors out!

@BarelyEin, I just realized you mentioned two of those games were browser games.  I'll still give them a try at some point, but I've never been a big fan of Browser games, so I doubt much will change in that regard.  Still going to try them though.

@Castillle, if you want maybe we should party up.  If it's the same in Wakfu, partying is hugely necessary, because right after the tutorial area the monsters started getting groups of 7-8, even in the low level areas, so it was hard to solo.

@Jimmac, I'll be happy to then!

---

• cshanorcshanor Member UncommonPosts: 64

Atlantica Online has turn-based combat ala Final Fantasy series (not the MMOs)

Originally posted by cshanor

Atlantica Online has turn-based combat ala Final Fantasy series (not the MMOs)

You didn't read my entire original post did you?

Quoting myself here:

"Atlantica Online - I liked it, but then randomly got banned after doing nothing in the mid 10x of levels.  I'm not redoing all that work, so this game is out.  They still never gave me a reason as to why i was banned, and to this date I have no idea."

@Castillle, I joined the server "Solar" on Dofus.  My in game name is "Leyna-Maravos".  Feel free to add me if you want and we can party and what not.

---

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Originally posted by Polantaris

I'm looking for a turn based MMO, that has a decent amount of content.  A P2P one is fine so long as there's no box to buy (Unless it's cheap), and as long as it includes a free trial, I don't pay for any MMO without trying it first.

Games I've played that are under this kind of criteria:

Atlantica Online - I liked it, but then randomly got banned after doing nothing in the mid 10x of levels.  I'm not redoing all that work, so this game is out.  They still never gave me a reason as to why i was banned, and to this date I have no idea.

Wakfu - I just tried Wakfu the other day.  I really like this battle system, but the whole ecosystem stuff really turns me off.  It's too much mundane work making sure everything is up to par.  I don't want to be the reason a species goes extinct, or why trees are suddenly scarce, or any other one of a million things I could accidentally do wrong.  If it were just the battle system, without the ecosystem stuff, this thread wouldn't even exist because the battle system is very akin to what I'm looking for.  The ecosystem stuff just kills it.  If I wanted to plant stuff for half my day, I'd go outside and make a garden.

I'm sure I've played other Turn Based MMOs, but those are the two that I know are popular/good, and come to mind right away.  I might have played any suggestions, but until I hear the name I might never even think of it.

Suggestions, anyone?  I'm open for anything Turn-Based...I'm in a TB mood, but I'm sick of playing those types of games alone (IE, DQ, FF, etc).

Mabinogi . is turned base combat, and dont be fooled by intial impressions quite a deep system under the hood ..

http://mabinogi.nexon.net/

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by Scorchien

Mabinogi . is turned base combat, and dont be fooled by intial impressions quite a deep system under the hood ..

http://mabinogi.nexon.net/

I preffer Shin Megami Tensei:Imagine over Mabinogi. They are basically clones of each other in the gameplay and graphics department.

The only real difference is you're able to capture any mobs to use as combat pets, can also fuse them together in an insane ammount of combinations to make different ones (if you've ever played any Shin Megami Tensei game before you'll know what I mean).

Neither are exactly turn based, pretty close though, and much more involving/strategic. You really need to try it for yourself to understand how it plays.

• DaftDaft Member UncommonPosts: 170

since you havent tried Zodiac online look at it in the game list. It has Final Fantasy  like fighting, and it is also free to play. Im not sure why i quit playing it but its worth a shot. BTW isnt Dofus p2p?

Hayy! My internet died out for a few mins x.x  How are you enjoying the game~?

Edit:

Ah Seems youre offline! xD  Just poke me if you wanna play together or nythingg ^_^

( o.o)
    (")(")

Apparently Dofus has some "Subscriber" thing.  I didn't look into it, but as I said in my OP I don't really care if it's P2P as long as I got to try it out before paying, which you can do.  It at least has a free section it seems.

Dofus is definitely similar to Wakfu.  Wakfu has a better interface, more graphical options, and the battle system is definitely more advanced, but that's not to say that it's better.  They both have their pluses and minuses.  The only thing I really don't like in Dofus so far is that it uses one of those "Zone" things kinda like old school Zelda, where the camera never pans around, you have to go to the edge and then it switches screens.  It's probably an old game though, so it's excusable.

I lost my sound while playing, I'm not really sure why.  Nothing was muted, and my sound outside of the game works fine...I'll have to look into it.  Definitely a game I'm interested in.  It's, as someone else said, basically Wakfu without the ecosystem crap, although there are still professions, which is OK, as long as they aren't so heavily required as they are in Wakfu.  In Wakfu, it feels like you have to be skilled in every profession, which means a lot of time being eaten up by mundane tasks.  Hell, you have to craft your own MONEY in Wakfu, and not by killing monsters, by tediously mining ores over and over, then finding a Coin Mint to craft those ores into Kama, the game's currency.  That's something that really threw me off the game from the get-go.

I'm gonna start looking into Darkwind.

About Mabinogi:  Eh...I didn't really like Mabinogi.  Also I didn't really think it was turn based in the way I'm looking for.  When I played it it felt more like a traditional MMORPG, except slow paced battles (kinda like FFXI, which I absolutely hated).  But I never really got far into it so maybe I was wrong.

@Castille, Oh!  I didn't know why you stopped doing anything.  I sent you some messages, I assumed you were just AFK or something.  Yeah, I said I was gonna check out some of the other games I was suggested, but I definitely liked Dofus so I was going to play more in the future.  I suggested that you could PM me on here if you wanted to play more in the future, but I wanted to try out some of the other games I was suggested first.

---

Yeahhhh Megaten and Mabinogi arent really "turn based" but more like a slow paced game with syncronized timing

Edit : And xD okiii~

( o.o)
    (")(")

• squish0416squish0416 Member Posts: 13

Wakfu has potential. The graphics are nice and the ecosystem has its pitfalls but the profession system is enjoyable.

What drags Wakfu down is class balance and leveling mechanics. Once they fix those, I'd be pretty excited to get my FFT MMO fix from it.

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

wizard101 is turn based, it look kiddish but I have fun playing with my girlfriend. it's pretty populated and there is a free trial/starter area.

• jarziumjarzium Member Posts: 40

a Shining Force/FF Tactics type of MMORPG would be awesome! i tried out Doofus before, but it was too overwhelming for me.

Originally posted by squish0416

Wakfu has potential. The graphics are nice and the ecosystem has its pitfalls but the profession system is enjoyable.

What drags Wakfu down is class balance and leveling mechanics. Once they fix those, I'd be pretty excited to get my FFT MMO fix from it.

It definitely does have potential, but I don't think the ecosystem stuff is going to change enough to not be an open invitation for people to troll the entire idea.  I think the system should be a part of about 50% of regions, not the 95ish% that it is.  Only the very beginning areas have respawns, and outside of that according to the forums everything else has it, and it's really not something I look forward to working on just so that some guy can ruin it while I'm sleeping.

I haven't gotten the chance to check out any other games, I got busy yesterday right after my post so I'll be sure to try some stuff out today.  I don't know about Darkwind though.  I'll definitely try it out but the first impressions weren't very appealing to me.

@jarzium:  Yeah, that's the type of game I was hoping to find.  Wakfu and Dofus definitely have the vibe in their battle systems, but I've already mentioned why I don't like  Wakfu too much, and Dofus seems promising, but I don't know yet.  More playing will have to occur to decide for me.  It's not TOO complex, but the character creation screen isn't exactly friendly.

---

• skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176

here are some turn base games that apparently people don't know about:

Dofus Arena

total influence

gun rox - squad vs squad turn based

concerto online (from square enix)

battle for wesnoth

Altis gate

stone age 2

pox nora ( requires pays to unlock more content)

canaan online

the great merchat

Wonderland Online

neverland online

myth war 2

zodiac online

monster forest online

fairy land online

nestalgia ( old turn based system before FF )

magi nation: battle for the moonland

those are the ones i know and the RED ones are the onces i played before.

PS: not trying to start trouble or anything but most games i listed are undergrounds and majority of forum users only follow  

the   popular ones and miss on some of the good ones on the way.

• jarziumjarzium Member Posts: 40

gosh, pox nora! i used to love that game a lot, and being the booster junkie that i am, i would spend hundreds just buying boosters.

Originally posted by skeith138

Dofus Arena

total influence

battle for wesnoth

Altis gate

stone age 2

canaan online

the great merchat

Wonderland Online

neverland online

myth war 2

zodiac online

monster forest online

fairy land online

PS: not trying to start trouble or anything but most games i listed are undergrounds and majority of forum users only follow  

Thank you for this list!  

Wasn't Concerto cancelled for the International Version?  I remember there WAS a TB MMO that SE was making, then randomly during the English Beta, it got cancelled with no real explaination.

To your PS:  That's exactly why I posted this thread in the first place.  I knew I'd never find what I was looking for on my own, and I really appreciate everyone who has given suggestions to aid in my search.  I'm just so bored of the traditional MMO formula.

The only one I know I'm not going to play off hand is Nestalgia.  I used to be a major player of BYOND games, however I haven't for a while, plus Silk Wizard (The creator) has quite the attitude, he's not very likable in my experience.  Plus, the admins he hires are completely power hungry (Or at least they were on his older games), and have been known to go crazy with their Admin commands for absolutely no reason.  In his old DWO, I got Muted for asking a question while one of the admins was going on a tirade about nothing.  I instantly lost respect for anything he does, because he(the maker) supported this action.

Edit:  Is there a US/NA/International version of Monster Forest Online?  I can't find anything except the AsiaSoft version, which is for the South-East Asia area.  I'd rather play an NA/US version if able.

---

• skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176

Originally posted by Polantaris

Originally posted by skeith138

Dofus Arena

total influence

battle for wesnoth

Altis gate

stone age 2

canaan online

the great merchat

Wonderland Online

neverland online

myth war 2

zodiac online

monster forest online

fairy land online

Thank you for this list!  

Wasn't Concerto cancelled for the International Version?  I remember there WAS a TB MMO that SE was making, then randomly during the English Beta, it got cancelled with no real explaination.

To your PS:  That's exactly why I posted this thread in the first place.  I knew I'd never find what I was looking for on my own, and I really appreciate everyone who has given suggestions to aid in my search.  I'm just so bored of the traditional MMO formula.

The only one I know I'm not going to play off hand is Nestalgia.  I used to be a major player of BYOND games, however I haven't for a while, plus Silk Wizard (The creator) has quite the attitude, he's not very likable in my experience.  Plus, the admins he hires are completely power hungry (Or at least they were on his older games), and have been known to go crazy with their Admin commands for absolutely no reason.  In his old DWO, I got Muted for asking a question while one of the admins was going on a tirade about nothing.  I instantly lost respect for anything he does, because he(the maker) supported this action.

Edit:  Is there a US/NA/International version of Monster Forest Online?  I can't find anything except the AsiaSoft version, which is for the South-East Asia area.  I'd rather play an NA/US version if able.

sadly concerto gate was cancelled. only the japan/chinese versions exist.

monster forest online also been cancelled and only the taiwanese version is left.

on a side have u try Final Fantasy XI? its a good game but i wouldn't come back to it for many reasons.

or u can try buy to play like King's Bounty on steam if u like?