Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Old Republic Will Change the Industry

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

WoW also has that 'it' factor thats tough to pin down.  Azeroth draws you in.  The game world is well done and has a certain flair and wonder that games like Rift just do not have.  Azeroth feels like an actual world, much like Norrath did back in 1999.

The races had character to them, with identifiable personalities and backgrounds and motivations.  Contrast this with Rift and even SWG.  You cant identify with being a Bahmi or a Trandoshan like you can with a WoW troll or an EQ Dark Elf.  Even the generic fantasy races in both these games are done with a certain flair.

To put simply (if not even more abstractly) both games have SOUL.  Thats a tough thing to set out and do which is why these two games remain the biggest success of the MMORPG industry in their respective eras.

I already mentioned that. Its the IP, which was barrowed heavily from Warhammer and Tolkien. Its not new. If the harry potter mmo that was being developed by the guys that made UO were able to launch it before being bought out by EA, it would have been the same thing. 

I completely disagree with the "draw you in" factor. A themepark mmo cannot draw you into the story when you know everyone around you is killing the same bosses and saving the same day over and over again. The IP is good, it was popular before WoW which helps that aspect, but not enough. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Yes because Warcraft was a bigger IP than Star Wars before WoW was released.

Your second paragraph is pure opinion and judging by game sub numbers, your opinion is  in the minority.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Originally posted by xpiher

Originally posted by SonofSeth

Also, the reason WoW was sucessful was a combination of luck in the timing, popular IP (if the harry potter mmo came out it would have been the same), the fact that young kids have always been able to play the game farily easily (easy control/UI), and the ability to play the game on junk computers. Take away any of these apsects and the game would fail now. 

xpiher meet Occam

All the reasons I suggested for WoW's sucess aren't new and have been attributed to WoW's sucess quite often by its most adament supporters. When WoW launched, it took the existing modle with a few tweaks. Had it not been for those factors, it would not have crushed EQ.

Saying it was just good would be good enough, if you go deconstructing it, where would you stop. Why leave out questing as a huge part of the game, what about the auction house, rested experience, seamless world, character animations, art style (not talking about poly count)...

Many posts about SWTOR sound so negative because when we look at the game we see this massive and interesting new feature that will improve storytelling and immersion in a singleplayer kind of way, but very few other improvements. What many want seems to be another WoW, not in the clone kind of way, but in a way that it would take all the major features and improve them all, not just one.

We allready had many of those one hit wonders, at least this one looks to be polished when released.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Don't see how this game will change the industry for the better. All their doing is putting more emphasis on story and using full voice overs. I think the game will do well but if any game will change the industry for the better it is Guild Wars 2.

Originally posted by Atlan99

Yes because Warcraft was a bigger IP than Star Wars before WoW was released.

Your second paragraph is pure opinion and judging by game sub numbers, your opinion is  in the minority.

I'm not talking about now. I was talking about when the game launched. You weren't following all my replies. The sucess now is only because of the game's initial sucess.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Don't see how this game will change the industry for the better. All their doing is putting more emphasis on story and using full voice overs. I think the game will do well but if any game will change the industry for the better it is Guild Wars 2.

Don't see how GW2 is going to do any better, I mean all its doing it removing the trinity and add DE....

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

Originally posted by Snaylor47

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Don't see how GW2 is going to do any better, I mean all its doing it removing the trinity and add DE....

Thats not all its adding. The mist PvP is farily unique, they actually do PQs correctly the dynamic events are actually evolving story arcs, the housing system is unique (you build you own town), etc.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

Also, the reason WoW was sucessful was a combination of luck in the timing, popular IP (if the harry potter mmo came out it would have been the same), the fact that young kids have always been able to play the game farily easily (easy control/UI), and the ability to play the game on junk computers. Take away any of these apsects and the game would fail now. 

xpiher meet Occam

All the reasons I suggested for WoW's sucess aren't new and have been attributed to WoW's sucess quite often by its most adament supporters. When WoW launched, it took the existing modle with a few tweaks. Had it not been for those factors, it would not have crushed EQ.

Saying it was just good would be good enough, if you go deconstructing it, where would you stop. Why leave out questing as a huge part of the game, what about the auction house, rested experience, seamless world, character animations, art style (not talking about poly count)...

Many posts about SWTOR sound so negative because when we look at the game we see this massive and interesting new feature that will improve storytelling and immersion in a singleplayer kind of way, but very few other improvements. What many want seems to be another WoW, not in the clone kind of way, but in a way that it would take all the major features and improve them all, not just one.

We allready had many of those one hit wonders, at least this one looks to be polished when released.

I actually think the reason people say SWTOR and Rift and every other mmo that has come out is a "wow clone" is becuae they are tired for hand holding BS that comes with themepark games. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

Originally posted by teakbois

xpiher meet Occam

WoW also has that 'it' factor thats tough to pin down.  Azeroth draws you in.  The game world is well done and has a certain flair and wonder that games like Rift just do not have.  Azeroth feels like an actual world, much like Norrath did back in 1999.

The races had character to them, with identifiable personalities and backgrounds and motivations.  Contrast this with Rift and even SWG.  You cant identify with being a Bahmi or a Trandoshan like you can with a WoW troll or an EQ Dark Elf.  Even the generic fantasy races in both these games are done with a certain flair.

To put simply (if not even more abstractly) both games have SOUL.  Thats a tough thing to set out and do which is why these two games remain the biggest success of the MMORPG industry in their respective eras.

lol. Are you being serious? WoW has "soul" and Azeroth draws you in?? Last I checked, WoW has all level 85 players running around in the same epic gear, and no one leaves the main cities because all they do is queue for raids or arena.  Every 4-5 months there is a gear reset and the grind starts all over.

WoW is a soul-sucking timesink of a game. There is zero community because there's no reason to interact with anyone outside of your guild or arena partner. If that's your idea of an engaging mmo, then you really need to play more mmos.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Every major MMORPG in North America has had housing except 2.  WoW and, ironically, Everquest (which has it now, and has had guild halls for years)

UO?  yup

DAoC?  yup

AC? yup

FFXI?  yup

SWG? yup

LOTRO? Yup

EQ2? yup

Im going to assume EvE doesnt have housing, but I dont know enough about EvE

AoC? No

Warhammer? No

That's just a couple of the top of my head.

AoC and WAR were both massive failures.  I didnt list Vanguard for the same reason.

Originally posted by Fratman

lol. Are you being serious? WoW has "soul" and Azeroth draws you in?? Last I checked, WoW has all level 85 players running around in the same epic gear, and no one leaves the main cities because all they do is queue for raids or arena.  Every 4-5 months there is a gear reset and the grind starts all over.

WoW is a soul-sucking timesink of a game. There is zero community because there's no reason to interact with anyone outside of your guild or arena partner. If that's your idea of an engaging mmo, then you really need to play more mmos.

Yes, Azeroth has soul.  the endgame direction since about halfway through BC has been pretty crappy, but that doesnt change the foundation the game was based on.   Name a game, besides Everquest 1, that has a more interesting game world?

And the people who say the game has zero community probably aren't very good at making friends.  The city trade chat channels may be abysmal, but its not very difficult to make friends and find people to do stuff with outside of guild.

I already mentioned that. Its the IP, which was barrowed heavily from Warhammer and Tolkien. Its not new. If the harry potter mmo that was being developed by the guys that made UO were able to launch it before being bought out by EA, it would have been the same thing. 

I completely disagree with the "draw you in" factor. A themepark mmo cannot draw you into the story when you know everyone around you is killing the same bosses and saving the same day over and over again. The IP is good, it was popular before WoW which helps that aspect, but not enough. 

But its not the IP.   Middle earth was a bigger IP than Warcraft, and while it has had moderate success its nowhere near WoW.  Star Wars is the biggest IP in the world (NOT debatable) and that didnt work so well.  EQ started from scratch and they did just fine.  How did the Warhammer and Hyboria IPs turn out?

And im talking about things unrelated to quests.  the actual world that you quest in.  The cities.  The scenery, the landscapes.  The life thats happening around you that has nothing to do with you or your story.  Lore is a part of this too.  Its a big equation and I stand by saying that so far only two games have nailed it (with FFXI becoming the closest after those two)

Orig

Yes, Azeroth has soul.  the endgame direction since about halfway through BC has been pretty crappy, but that doesnt change the foundation the game was based on.   Name a game, besides Everquest 1, that has a more interesting game world?

FFXI LOTOR (prior IP) SWG pre NGE (piror IP) Shadow Bane, DAOC

And the people who say the game has zero community probably aren't very good at making friends.  The city trade chat channels may be abysmal, but its not very difficult to make friends and find people to do stuff with outside of guild.

The point you missed is that there isn't any reason to. You aren't forced to make friends to do raids or PvP anymore because they autmoated the entire game instead of fostering the creation of a community.

see orange

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

you people are going to be in for a rude shock when you finally get playing this game.. and realize there is a monthly fee and micro transactions. The micro's just ruin character progression no matter how you look at it, if you can't play the game normally and loot stuff you would otherwise buy from the store its a failed game in a ton of peoples eyes. Even if you're only buying appearance gear and potions it ruins the point of why some of us play games which is to progress our characters and upgrade as we play the game, not by buying stuff from a store.. That makes the point of any game pointless which is why MT's fail in north america.

I think way too many of you are blinded by star wars the lore and or just rabid bioware fans to ever see how shallow and crappy this game will eventually end up being. And if you don't wanna keep playing wow clones well into the future, we all need this game to fail faster than vanguard.. which is why im not even worried about it succeeding since all it is, is a major wow ripp off and re skinned for star wars. And its all done by a company with no mmo experience and who thinks story telling belongs in mmo's LOL

3 months after this game launched it will be DOA... just like rift and any other game who thinks using wow's 8 year old mechanics is a good idea.. how many more 50+ million dollar failures do we need before they realize they aren't getting wow sub base!

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Those games are fun, they just aren't designed with the menality that you can play for an hour and log off while getting A LOT done in that hour by yourself. SWG pre NGE, UO (the key command system was standard when it was launched) , EvE, Haven and Hearth, etc have fairly simple controls and are pretty stright forward game play wise. The problem is, it takes thought. You aren't hand-held in these game, which is what makes them actually good (IMO). However, to most of the mmo market (which is still 25years old and younger), this level of depth and thinking over complicate that game for them. They are left with What am I suppose to do?" and log off in frustartion saying that the game doesn't have any content. Thats why pure sandbox games are typically niche, EvE and UO being the expections due to their blend of thempark 9faction fighting, quest system, etc) style gameplay and sandbox game play (open world PvP, in depth crafting system, massive amount of meta game elements, etc)

I agree. Many people fault this for arrogance, but the truth is that, as far as the entertainment industry is concerned, there are a lot of trash eaters out there. It's probably the most obvious when you look at movies and radio music, but it's becoming more and more evident in games as time progresses.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by Fratman

the community is toxic, just try sitting and listenting to the chat on any server.  This has got nothing to do with 'making friends' 

Agree about the world in wow, but blizz strategy changed thart from encouraging immersion in that world to rushing through the leveling to get you to 80 asap. pre mid bc it was awsome and degraded from there when activision got their hands in. 

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

As long as they release a game that is polished anf un then I see no reason why it can't give the industry a boost. Just a boost though, nothing more.

• StormwindStormwind Member Posts: 60

It is now said that the author of the harry potter books now has more money (net worth)  then the Queen of England ...  I am not sure how that works out to Star wars income as the speaker did not compare other books/movies/games/everything to the worth of the Queen. 

I just toss that out for " Food for thought"  when you mention how much value a property has made.  And claim that this ONE is bigger then all the rest  NOT Debateable ?  Everything under the sun is open for Debate ...  Count on it.

Look to the stars to know HE is with us. HE hung them as markers, of times and of seasons.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by StormwindX

Originally posted by Zooce

Poorly written article.

A de-emphasis on crafting, lack of customizable player housing, and rich storytelling are hardly revolutionary.  Also, try proofreading your opening paragraph.

I've noticed that, recently, most of the articles here have been very badly written, with spelling mistakes, lack of proof-reading and even glaring internet vices ("there" instead of "their" when referring to possession, excessive use or lack of necessary apostrophes, etc). 

MMORPG.com really needs to up the quality of its editors. And of its writers.

This article wasn't written by any of the mmorpg.com editors or writers.

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

SWTOR will be what it is. The innovation we really need is a ban on nesting quotes that take up half a page, only to find some nonsensical one liner at the bottom.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by howtoland

This site has really gone to garbage.

Article wasn't written by this site.

• BattleM99BattleM99 Member Posts: 35

Spelling aside, I think the article is correct in that TOR will be huge, and change the industry.

Whether that will be a good thing, remains to be seen.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

I don't see how it will be any different than a game like Rift or LoTRO. Hope I'm wrong, because I'm tired of these games that are only meant to be played for 2 weeks before the boredom caused by repetitive gameplay kicks in.

Originally posted by Golelorn

I don't see how it will be any different than a game like Rift or LoTRO. Hope I'm wrong, because I'm tired of these games that are only meant to be played for 2 weeks before the boredom caused by repetitive gameplay kicks in.

Then stop buying them? Buy the niche games made by indy companies.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I am trying to avoid commenting on games that I really don't have much interest in playing, and this comments are pointed more at the article then the game itself.

I am disappointed in the lackluster points that are brought up in an article about how a game is going to change the world of mmo's. Seriously, you have crafting, housing and it's made by Bioware. 

Crafting is not something new or groundbreaking, and sure they talk about how great it's going to be with having underlings do some of the work, but when it comes to crafting, the point is how much of a benefit it brings. If the crafted items are great enough then crafting holds a purpose, but if they are not as good as raid/dungeon/openworld/purchased items then irregardless of how great the process may be, it's still useless.  If they are  too great then other things suffer, so balance is key. Nothing in the hype is showing what the case will be.

Housing is nice, but it's not new to the genre either. I love the idea of housing, and really hope that it will become a resolute part of all MMO's but even if that happens SWTOR doesn't get kudos for making it happen.

Bioware tells great stories. Sure. Great stories are a staple of a good RPG, but when it comes to an MMO, the more detailed a story is, the more single player orientated it is. How do you tell a great story when someone else is making their own story? Do these stories mix together or do they simply fall to the wayside when people meet and group.  I have faith that Bioware can tell a wonderful story, and that they will do a great job of it with SWTOR, but I don't think that it's going to be doing the MMORPG genre any favors. I definately don't think it's going to rewrite the way that MMORPG's are made.

That being said, I have faith that SWTOR will be a good game, and earn a fair keep but I don't think that it will change the industry as such, at least not by any information that was presented in this article.  

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.