Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Call of Planetside infantry

Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

If Infantry are going to be reduced to a Call of Duty state where they have no inventory with less hitpoints then they won't be able to overload on ammunition as an option, infantry will not have the staying power ammo wise or hit point wise as they did in Planetside1.  This will put far more importance on the spawn point whether it be the AMS or some lame COD spawn on mission leader thing.

If the importance of spawn point is amplified then so is the importance of camping spawn point amplified and so is the importance of getting spawn point as close as possible to enemy amplified; then you find lame crap like in COD4 where enemies randomly spawn in behind you and shoot you in the back just after you shot them.  It's the primary reason I don't play COD4, the spawn system.

Comments

• BobalueBobalue Member UncommonPosts: 78

well spawn points were just as important in ps1. The AMS was a crucial part of the game. I kinda do wish they would only slightly reduce the hp and inventory space of infantry though.

• Species5021Species5021 Member Posts: 44

Inventory space also depended on what you were wearing as armor, I can remember as an infiltrator I would have a very small inventory for soms bombs and an extra gun (or ammo) while the medium and heavy armors were slower and had more space for extra weapons and ammo. I'm generally more concerned the entire game will turn into a sniper fan fest because of the new hitboxes, while it makes the combat more realistic it also changes a couple of factors we didn't have in planetside 1 seeing in the first one you could pretty much kill a guy sniping on his foot then hitting him in the head. While in 2 headshots will prolly be deadly. Could be there will be some new implants that harden you skull so you become immune to an instant death headshot.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by Bobalue

well spawn points were just as important in ps1. The AMS was a crucial part of the game. I kinda do wish they would only slightly reduce the hp and inventory space of infantry though.

Well if hit points are less and there is no inventory than the AMS is going to be even more important, which will make the I-win button Orbital Strike even more irritating.

Vehicles will also take less hits in balance, like Battlefield2 games.  Vehicle combat in BF2 is lame.

"Well now we got spawn on mission leader"  Spawn on mission leader sucks balls, it destroys all tactical realism and turns the game into a big deathmatch quake game of random fragging.  Is this is what you guys want?  A mindless deathmatch quake game from the 1990's?

SOE sure likes dumbing down games.  http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?start=60&topic_id=88000027853

If I want to play COD I'd already be playing COD.  Playing COD on bigger maps isn't an improvement, it's just COD on a bigger map.

• megamoldmegamold Member Posts: 10

you guys really need to look at the actual q&a instead of going on other ppl's assumptions

it was clearly stated by the dev team that squad spawning will be something that needs to be certed by te leader and will be on a substantial countdown timer, to use their words "squad spawning will NOT be the main way you spawn" . the ams will be making a return and having an ams+codstyle squad spawning would be redundant and stupid and i'm pretty sure they know this

it will also drop you from the sky in a drop pod and cannot be used indoors ( and yes you will be able to smash a dude with the droppod :) )

see it as a quick way to get back to your squad when they are a 10 min walk away from the ams going on a backattack or whatever.

and yes there will be no inventory like in ps1 but you will still be able to custime your loadout you just wont have to go all tetris on your inventory to get the most in.

and yes the hp wil be lowered for pretty much everything and this is a good thing because anyone who has actually played ps1 will know that the game can be incredibly slow at times,  and even if they were to drop the hp by half it would still be 10 times more then in cod

Originally posted by megamold

and yes there will be no inventory like in ps1 but you will still be able to custime your loadout you just wont have to go all tetris on your inventory to get the most in.

and yes the hp wil be lowered for pretty much everything and this is a good thing because anyone who has actually played ps1 will know that the game can be incredibly slow at times,  and even if they were to drop the hp by half it would still be 10 times more then in cod

BF2 has customized loadout, but I wouldn't call that heading towards "sandbox" I'd call that heading towards "themepark" if you axed me.

Lowered hitpionts huh.  So you thought battles could be incredibly slow at times in Planetside1 huh.  So instead of dying in 0.5 seconds to 2 players with decimators, you think we should be dying in 0.25 seconds?  How about insta-death in a cloaker or agile?  How much more instant death do you want it to go?   Oh I see you want everyone to have an equally quick death, every class is equally bad or equally good, sort of like what happens to all MMORPG games on MMORPG.com.

Originally posted by Nerf09

BF2 has customized loadout, but I wouldn't call that heading towards "sandbox" I'd call that heading towards "themepark" if you axed me.

Lowered hitpionts huh.  So you thought battles could be incredibly slow at times in Planetside1 huh.  So instead of dying in 0.5 seconds to 2 players with decimators, you think we should be dying in 0.25 seconds?  How about insta-death in a cloaker or agile?  How much more instant death do you want it to go?   Oh I see you want everyone to have an equally quick death, every class is equally bad or equally good, sort of like what happens to all MMORPG games on MMORPG.com.

oh wow ... just wow....

who said anything about bf2 ? the only thing that was said about ps2 being "sandbox" is that one of their long term plans ( ie after release ) they want to ad the abilty for outfit owned bases and towers to be constructed , thats about as far as "sandbox" goes and the only time that word was used

and if you actually watched the q&a you would know this and not sit there spouting nonsense

also a commendable job on twisting my words btw , the time for a player death is not measured 1 vs 2

lets go for an example here :

2 heavy assault characters with 2 weapons that are available to each side ( because empire specific weapons have specific advantages, long range short range ... but you knew that right ? ) , right now that battle would take about 4 seconds with al the dodging and whatnot included .

if that decreases that to oh lets say 3 or 2.5  seconds that would still be massively longer then the 0.25seconds it takes you to die in cod 

this would mean that situations like a stalemate on the hills with 100 snipers popping at each other would become less common and at the very least wouldnt last 45 minutes 

for all the great battles i had in planetside there were equally many that just ended up being a stalemate with the winning side being decided by the ppl who went to bed first , oh but you like hiding behind the same piece of rock for an hour right? oh i see you must be a gears of war fan :p

oh and fyi , i hate instadeath , instaknife and all that jazz

pretty much everything you did in that post is spout nonsense ( and you did a pretty piss poor job of it to )

but if you wanna hate on stuff thats unconfirmed or that you pretty much made up go right ahead 

i'm sure you wont be missed in ps2

oh wow ... just wow....

who said anything about bf2 ? the only thing that was said about ps2 being "sandbox" is that one of their long term plans ( ie after release ) they want to ad the abilty for outfit owned bases and towers to be constructed , thats about as far as "sandbox" goes and the only time that word was used

If they want to go all sandboxy, heading towards themepark with typical FPS game loadouts is not the way to go.

and if you actually watched the q&a you would know this and not sit there spouting nonsense

also a commendable job on twisting my words btw , the time for a player death is not measured 1 vs 2

lets go for an example here :

2 heavy assault characters with 2 weapons that are available to each side ( because empire specific weapons have specific advantages, long range short range ... but you knew that right ? ) , right now that battle would take about 4 seconds with al the dodging and whatnot included .

if that decreases that to oh lets say 3 or 2.5  seconds that would still be massively longer then the 0.25seconds it takes you to die in cod 

Tanks already die instantly to 2 players with decimators, and infantry die instantly when they are a cloaker or agile, how more instant-death do you want it to be.

"Well when players are taking cover behind objects they live longer."  Duh, that's the whole point of having cover.

oh and fyi , i hate instadeath , instaknife and all that jazz

pretty much everything you did in that post is spout nonsense ( and you did a pretty piss poor job of it to )

but if you wanna hate on stuff thats unconfirmed or that you pretty much made up go right ahead 

i'm sure you wont be missed in ps2

i see your point with the loadouts , i would rather have the ps1 system to

and lets also not forget that ps1 is horribly balanced

i think that just because they used the words classes and loadouts doesnt automaticly mean it will be the exact same system as in cod or bf2 , cause that would be speculation

im reserving full judgement until i have more info , but i'm not going to go for the doomsday scenario  just yet

they also said that they would be doing votes on key game mechanics and letting the community have a say.( and veteran ps1 players will have 1st dibs on beta acces and therefore the voting) i say vote when they open it up and lets see what happens. and i'm pretty sure we would both be voting towards the same thing

personally i'm just happy that they are making a ps2 cause i never even hoped for a ps2 to be made so i'm hoping they will take better care of the community this time round

it could turn out to be a "cod on a bigger map" but i'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt right now

and to be honest , if they would have just repacked ps1 in a fancy new engine with a couple of fixes i would probably be pissed of for not at least trying to make this a better game, change doesnt allways have to be a bad thing, not if its done right that is :)

i see your point with the loadouts , i would rather have the ps1 system to

and lets also not forget that ps1 is horribly balanced  You mean imballanced?  Cause I found Planetside to be extremely balanced, I never understood the complaints from players about TR vs VS etc.  I didn't even like the AV buff.

i think that just because they used the words classes and loadouts doesnt automaticly mean it will be the exact same system as in cod or bf2 , cause that would be speculation  Well what else could it mean?

im reserving full judgement until i have more info , but i'm not going to go for the doomsday scenario  just yet

they also said that they would be doing votes on key game mechanics and letting the community have a say.( and veteran ps1 players will have 1st dibs on beta acces and therefore the voting) i say vote when they open it up and lets see what happens. and i'm pretty sure we would both be voting towards the same thing  

personally i'm just happy that they are making a ps2 cause i never even hoped for a ps2 to be made so i'm hoping they will take better care of the community this time round

it could turn out to be a "cod on a bigger map" but i'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt right now

and to be honest , if they would have just repacked ps1 in a fancy new engine with a couple of fixes i would probably be pissed of for not at least trying to make this a better game, change doesnt allways have to be a bad thing, not if its done right that is :)

i think it all pretty much went to sh*t when they put in the bfr's

and a loadout is a loadout but the way its implemented could make all the difference just to give an example of the top of my head :

you choose a class and armor, i'm a heavy assault kinda guy so i go for that

then you choose 2 weapons and what sights you want on that weapon ( long or short range fight )

then you choose what versions of the weapon you want ( wich has been hinted at and would be a high lvl cert ) lets say its long range so i want less firerate but more of a punch so i take that version

next i need ammo , do i want regular or AP ammo? i can only take X amount of rounds so how many of each do i want and offcoarse i also need ammo for my second weapon.

do i want a medkit? sure why not well that would need to take the place of some ammo

this could work on like a point system or something

then i need nades , which ones do i take for the battle im going into

and all this can be saved with a custom name as a custom loadout for a certain type of situation

i would also like to point out that a loadout in cod is pretty pointless as the loadout itsself hardly ever changes because the battle situation hardly ever really changes , its ALL close combat and you can do perfectly fine with just the knife.

while in ps you will need a certain loadout for a certain situation and what is needed can change on the fly

but who knows what they made of it they have probably been thinking about it much longer then i have so i'm anxious to see how they did it

i think it all pretty much went to sh*t when they put in the bfr's

and a loadout is a loadout but the way its implemented could make all the difference just to give an example of the top of my head :

you choose a class and armor, i'm a heavy assault kinda guy so i go for that

then you choose 2 weapons and what sights you want on that weapon ( long or short range fight )

then you choose what versions of the weapon you want ( wich has been hinted at and would be a high lvl cert ) lets say its long range so i want less firerate but more of a punch so i take that version

next i need ammo , do i want regular or AP ammo? i can only take X amount of rounds so how many of each do i want and offcoarse i also need ammo for my second weapon.

do i want a medkit? sure why not well that would need to take the place of some ammo

this could work on like a point system or something

then i need nades , which ones do i take for the battle im going into

and all this can be saved with a custom name as a custom loadout for a certain type of situation

i would also like to point out that a loadout in cod is pretty pointless as the loadout itsself hardly ever changes because the battle situation hardly ever really changes , its ALL close combat and you can do perfectly fine with just the knife.

while in ps you will need a certain loadout for a certain situation and what is needed can change on the fly

but who knows what they made of it they have probably been thinking about it much longer then i have so i'm anxious to see how they did it

That's regulating.  Like regulating pet classes. 

Remember UO, where you could have 30 pets following you around, or Diablo II where you could have 50 necro pets following you around?  Well the game developers said "no way Jose, that sucks up bandwidth," so they regulated it.  Now in WOW you have 1 pet, what kind of PET class is that?  ONE?!

Then there's the part where every single class in WOW...clones...are practically the same.  Wanna tank?  Well every class can do it now.  Wanna DPS?  Well every class can do that now.  They regulated that too.

There's balancing, and then there's regulating.  boooo

yeah i see your point, but anyway i'm gonna stay positive :)

if they keep their promise with the voting on game features then we should be able to turn this into something worthwile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZNI15yzaUk

Watch video, you can't possibly tell me you think infantry don't die quick enough.

Also, if the medkit in inventory is removed, that will mean splash damage, High Explosives, will need to be nerfed on ballance.  Hitting that medkit lets you survive the grenade, bomb, tank spam.

yeah i see your point, but anyway i'm gonna stay positive :)

if they keep their promise with the voting on game features then we should be able to turn this into something worthwile

Voting?  Ugh.  Players have some some stupid ideas on what they'd like.

IF the medkit is removed and noone so far said it would

and since most of the early voting is done in beta wich is populated by veteran ps players( ie. ppl who still play ps to this day) , i'm pretty sure they know what works and what doesnt

judging by the psu forums noone want a cod clone so voting should be good

you really are a glas half empty kinda guy arent you :p

also something ive noticed over the years is that i know many ppl who play a lot of cod and love it , but they also tend to not like games that require a bit more planning,strategy, or even having to run for more then 15 seconds to get to the enemy and dont even get them started on downtime (like a 15 minute hack for ex)

all these guys dont like battlefield ( 2 or bad company ) for these reason and something like planetside would appeal even less to them .

anyway i'm pretty sure soe knows that if they try to make this "call of planetside" it would be the worst bussiness strategy ever since ppl will just play the cod that doesnt require a subscription

if anything i think they will try to make it more like a battlefield type setup but much more expansive and i think this is also gonna be the game they want to steal some players from

and i dont give a crap about what you say but battlefield is an awesome game and bf3 is gonna be awesome :)

edit: i watched the clip  ( wich is awesome btw :D ) and maybe you should look at this and compare em

it looks to me like death is much faster then in ps , and i know this may only be franctions of seconds but in balancing small changes make for big differences 

IF the medkit is removed and noone so far said it would

and since most of the early voting is done in beta wich is populated by veteran ps players( ie. ppl who still play ps to this day) , i'm pretty sure they know what works and what doesnt  No offense but all the good players already left the game, those that are left are those who grinded out multiple CR5 characters.  I wouldn't want to take advice from them.  I would rather take advice from those who left the game out of disagreement.  I mean seriously, if you want a wider audience you would need an opinion that is NOT of the current playerbase, cause the "winder audience" already left the game.

judging by the psu forums noone want a cod clone so voting should be good

you really are a glas half empty kinda guy arent you :p  Yes.

also something ive noticed over the years is that i know many ppl who play a lot of cod and love it , but they also tend to not like games that require a bit more planning,strategy, or even having to run for more then 15 seconds to get to the enemy and dont even get them started on downtime (like a 15 minute hack for ex)  I know.

all these guys dont like battlefield ( 2 or bad company ) for these reason and something like planetside would appeal even less to them .  Yeah.

anyway i'm pretty sure soe knows that if they try to make this "call of planetside" it would be the wost bussiness strategy ever since ppl will just play the cod that doesnt require a subscription  COD doesn't even have vehicles, I don't get it.

if anything i think they will try to make it more of a battlefield type setup but much more expansive  Yuck.  I've been playing BF2142 lately, they have like 5 servers with an average population of 15.

and i dont give a crap about what you say but battlefield is an awesome game and bf3 is gonna be awesome :)  It's a narrow tactical experience.

i know cod doesnt have vehicles but ppl seem to love comparing apples to oranges these days , bf3 vs cod3 , ps2 vs cod3 , tetris vs crysis,....

wich is pretty much what you have been doing all this time , loadouts? damn they are making it into cod ...

bf2142? talk about picking the turd from a pile of gold

and yes its a very narrow tactical experience but its pretty much as tactical as it can be for the amount of players and the size of the maps , thats what we have ps for right

and if you only want the all encompasing, massive tactical experience i suggest you join the army or freeze yourself for another 100 years or so

well screw it , even if this game is going to be a perfect cod/bf clone, if it stil give you the feeling of being in a large scale war where you jsut play a small but therefore not meaningless part . then ps2 will still be 10 times better then cod and bf combined

and if you only want the all encompasing, massive tactical experience i suggest you join the army or freeze yourself for another 100 years or so

So doing the same thing over and over again doesn't bore you.  Must be nice to be so easily entertained.

So doing the same thing over and over again doesn't bore you.  Must be nice to be so easily entertained.

well ive been doing the same job for 5 years and ive been sleeping next to the same girl for 6 years ive been driving te same car for 4 years so no , doing the same thing over and over again doesnt need te mean im bored

it must be difficult te be such a hardcore pessimist , nihilist , doomsayer

allways wanting more and never being satified with what youve got .

and if you hate repetition so frikkin much , then what the hell are you doing on an mmo forum?

well ive been doing the same job for 5 years and ive been sleeping next to the same girl for 6 years ive been driving te same car for 4 years so no , doing the same thing over and over again doesnt need te mean im bored

it must be difficult te be such a hardcore pessimist , nihilist , doomsayer

allways wanting more and never being satified with what youve got .

and if you hate repetition so frikkin much , then what the hell are you doing on an mmo forum?

I bet you'd enjoy loading up old Quakeworld 2Fort5, cause sameo sameo doesn't bother you.

actually i never really enjoyed quake

and i bet you would enjoy it if the 2012 prediction was true just so you could laugh and yell

HAHA FUCK YOU WORLD !

actually i never really enjoyed quake

and i bet you would enjoy it if the 2012 prediction was true just so you could laugh and yell

HAHA FUCK YOU WORLD !

How did a stone age religion enter into this disgussion?

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

If Infantry are going to be reduced to a Call of Duty state where they have no inventory with less hitpoints then they won't be able to overload on ammunition as an option, infantry will not have the staying power ammo wise or hit point wise as they did in Planetside1.  This will put far more importance on the spawn point whether it be the AMS or some lame COD spawn on mission leader thing.
    If the importance of spawn point is amplified then so is the importance of camping spawn point amplified and so is the importance of getting spawn point as close as possible to enemy amplified; then you find lame crap like in COD4 where enemies randomly spawn in behind you and shoot you in the back just after you shot them.  It's the primary reason I don't play COD4, the spawn system.

Look guy all we know is pure conjecture at the moment. It is pointless debating things that are most probably not true.

The game development is hardly even started - they will change there mind about most of the mechanics so debates about stuff at this stage are utter pointless.

Originally posted by Saorlan

Look guy all we know is pure conjecture at the moment. It is pointless debating things that are most probably not true.

The game development is hardly even started - they will change there mind about most of the mechanics so debates about stuff at this stage are utter pointless.

Well someone should just remember that the spawn point is a necessary EVIL, but you don't want more EVIL.