Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Play Alganon?

ArEfArEf Member Posts: 233

So, have you ever or do you still play Alganon?

Just wondering what sort of responses we're going to get.

Add me on Steam!

RawrfulCast - My YouTube Channel
Me and a Friend are Bad At Games :(

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Just started playing (not a an option on the poll btw) to see what the fuss was about, level 12 Ranger so far, more to follow.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I played it. I didn't love it or hate it. The game ran just fine with no issues. I just wanted to devote my time to AoC, and STO. I think if anyone is curious they should try the game out and not listen to the positives or the negatives on this forum and make your own mind up. You may enjoy it, you may dislike it.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

The game is actually good. But, the population is dead.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

The game is actually good. But, the population is dead.

I'd have to agree, if you enjoy standard theme park MMO's it is actually pretty decent, and the offline skill training adds an interesting component to everything.

But as far as population, the Social button seems to show everyone in the game world and it was pulling up less than 20 folks only over the weekend.  (unless I'm mis-reading the results)

One word of warning, it has a strong cash shop component, ie. the absolute best mounts will cost your roughly 25.00 US to purchase unless there's some way to earn the cash shop scrip in game somehow.

I've also read that the best gear also comes from the enhancements purchased in the cash shops but haven't personally verified this to be true.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Used to play, don't anymore, but still follow the game with interest.  Definitely enjoyed playing when I did, but got fixated on other games I simply liked better.  Most recently, i've been playiing Faxion.  It's another F2P title, but personally I think it's a lot more fun and it's definitely easier to find groups, based on what I experienced in Alganon.  It's only just launched and is buggy and suffers from performance issues, but is also a lot of fun once you get out of the newbie zones and start experiencing PvP (it's a PvP game).  It, too, has offline leveling, but it works for all characters on the account, not just a single character.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i keep meaning to give it a try. im downloading it now, so we shall see...

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I have a problem with keeping "attuned" to a given mmo. I play one and it gets boring so I try something else and always fall back to a couple that I won't ever give up. WoW being one but I have to start my sub up again and Alganon being the other because it's free. I'm currently playing WoW and Rift going back and forth between the two. I had a problem with an internal hack while playing Rift and got 37 free (don't ask how they came up with that amount I have no idea)  days of game play so I have been playing that.

Alganon is a very good game and it has a lot of unique things going for it. Like others have said it's lacking in population and if that were fixed I would play it more.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

OK, my short experiment with Alganon has come to a close.

Got up to level 21, was a decent theme park MMO experience with a few unique twist such as the offline training, but the lack of a player base is probably its biggest negative at this point in time.

It's not quite as stable as recent titles such as Rift (I'd usually have a crash or two a day starting out, though in the past week that improved dramatically)

It's cash shop would be it's 2nd biggest drawback for many, it makes ROM's cash shop look positively benign.  You buy good gear sets, high speed mounts etc and you need to buy it past level 30 to even proceed.  Sort of a blend of the fremium model along with traditional, items of power cash shop which will make it unappealing to many.

Gameplay is fine, the quests are standard, well placed and if you enjoy character advancement by questing you'll like these I'm sure. 

Overall, in a different day and time I'd have probably stuck with it, but decided to give EQ2X a trial since there's far more activity over there atm.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I retried it a couple of months ago and quit after an hour.  It really doesn't fill any niche that isn't already filled elsewhere and better.  It also isn't based on preexisting lore.  As far as I'm aware it doesn't include anything unique to MMOs and the companies original goal was to make a WoW clone and charge just as much for a tenth of the content.

I recently tried AoC and it's a far better experience than Alganon was although that bored me by the time I finished Tortage.  I'll probably try EQx next and return to LOTRO when the expac is out and available from their store for points.  My attraction to LOTRO and AoC is mainly due to my interest in their lore in the 80's and 90's.  I tried EQ2 on release but I just didn't enjoy the gameplay for whatever reason and returned to WoW.

Alganons main problem is that it offers less than the other top F2P MMOs and had a horrendous launch.  I think it's destined to just be an example of how not to run an MMO, that's including the decisions made after their leader was fired.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

I'm tryinjg it out now. But the eu server is down. Don't know if there's a patch or the game is dead as I was alone on the non-human side yesterday :)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by granit1024

I'm tryinjg it out now. But the eu server is down. Don't know if there's a patch or the game is dead as I was alone on the non-human side yesterday :)

I saw 3 people in a week when I tried it a couple of months ago

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

I'm alone on the human side right now. How is this game going to survive?