Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which race would you want to be playable?

AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

See title.

Which non-playable race do you want to see made playable eventually in Guild Wars 2.

Personally, I wish to play a Tengu. They are such a sleek and well-drawn species and have such great animations potential.... and who knows how far some of the tribes could have come from Guild Wars 1.

Comments

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Zerg

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Any from:

Tengu: Association with bushido and environs of the wind etc could make for excellent story and lore as well as awesome looking animations.

Skritt: Ever since Goldeneye, I've had a soft spot for another "Oddjob" in pvp : ) Perhaps a pack could form a single player char?!

Kodan: Large Polar Bears with Buddist leanings/learnings and out-Norns the Norn, even.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

Zerg rushing would be overpowered in WvWvW combat.

• TriadninjaTriadninja Member Posts: 111

I personally would have liked to have seen the Mursaat as a playable race. Yes, I know they were the evil race in Guild Wars 1, but I could just see some pretty epic mursaat casters goin in and fighting.

Another race I would have been interested to see would have been the Forgotten. They were around forever, and would probably have a really cool story line in that it reveals who they are and why they are Forgotten.

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

well charr were prodominantly mean :P and i agree murrsatt would be absolutly epic, they looked epic, and when the game first game out they were much harder than what they are these days :P

But other than that i was hoping the naga would, the snake water type people, since under water combat is now a posibility and this race can travel on ground i wouldnt of seen why not, but im just interested in how the races they have stated will play out....especially my cute furry friends the charr ;)

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

I would like to play the Kodan Race, :)

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

The Mursaat and the Forgotten would both be good canadates.  What about the Centuars?  There is almost nothing in the lore about them.

• AvisonAvison Member Posts: 350

The totally explain why the Forgotten are Forgotten... in Nightfall it goes into detail if you read the quest dialogue.

As for races that would make sense and should be added I can only think of the Tengu really. What other party members could you have in GW1 that weren't human? All I remember is the two Tengu who were quite awesome.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

I would want to play the Thunderans.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Tengu, Tengu, Tengu, Tengu, Tengu, Tengu, Tengu, Tengu, Tengu, Tengu, Tengu, Tengu, Tengu, and... have I mentioned the Tengu?

Originally posted by Triadninja

I personally would have liked to have seen the Mursaat as a playable race. Yes, I know they were the evil race in Guild Wars 1, but I could just see some pretty epic mursaat casters goin in and fighting.

Another race I would have been interested to see would have been the Forgotten. They were around forever, and would probably have a really cool story line in that it reveals who they are and why they are Forgotten.

I'm not convinced that the Mursaat actually are evil, but that's simply the way it was spun as to alleviate guilt off of their 'human prey.' Humans in many a story don't like taking responsibility for things and Guild Wars is no different. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the White Mantle contracted the Mursaat to provide protection, and what was done was considered a necessary sacrifice by the White Mantle to provide the Mursaat with the powers they needed.

I don't blame the gun, I blame the person or people who pulled the trigger. There's nothing in the lore that actually says that the Mursaat were evil, so I'm not sure if they are, I want to hear their side of things. I mean, look at the charr - not evil, it's just that the humans 'pulled the charr trigger' (so to speak) by taking their lands from them and they got what they deserved for doing so. So... Mursaat, evil? Maybe. Might perhaps more be that the White Mantle were just very evil.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Ents

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I would also think the Tengu would be an awesome race to play for sure..

Playing GW2..

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

If you have non-humanoid playable races like nagas or centaurs, then you have a ton of extra artwork to do for their armors.  For NPCs or mobs, you can just design a relative handful of armors for those particular mobs.  Players will want access to the full complement of armors, however.  Unless armor look is by race (e.g., as in TERA) rather than by class, this means that a bunch of armors have to have completely different designs to accommodate races that look too different from each other.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I'd love to play a dragon...

Preferably an elder one, and wreck havoc in PvP... 

<sighs> Makes me wonder why people always want more, while there is already so much to look forward to in GW2

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Avison

The totally explain why the Forgotten are Forgotten... in Nightfall it goes into detail if you read the quest dialogue.

As for races that would make sense and should be added I can only think of the Tengu really. What other party members could you have in GW1 that weren't human? All I remember is the two Tengu who were quite awesome.

Well, there is also a centaur and a dwarf. Dwarves are supposedly gone even though a few might still exist but I don't think we will see thousands of them as player characters anyways so scratch them off the list.

That leaves centaurs and Tengu.

Another possibility would be the wardens from the Kurzucks forrest in Factions and the harpies from Nightfall.

All those 4 would work even though I rather have a new race altogether, maybe something that spend most of their time underwater (which would explain why we havn't seen them so far). Siren or merfolk would work fine, faster underwater but a little slower on land.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by caremuchless

Ents

They are called "Oakenhearts" in Tyria, but we already have one plant race so no thanks.

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

Non because Norns are already playable!... hmm on second thought, dwarves! Yes DORFS!

Ah yes the Tengubirds. Them too. Kappas would be awsome too... :D

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

Stone-changed-dwarfs.

Yes, not the "old" dwarfs which were just sicky sucky, but dwarfs after transformation to stone. But in truth current races are pretty OK.

But let's be less "old fashoned"

1)Centaurs, although would be stupid to see human run as fast as centaur.

so

1) Quaggan

2) Hylek

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

I don't know much about the lore beyond the blogpost, but I'd definitely like the Kodan to be a playable race.

• daniel!!!daniel!!! Member Posts: 400

In all fairness this is just a forum post about hwat could happen i there are expansions or just saying what we would have thought to be cool to appear in the game, so if it was an expansion then they would have had the time to make all the armor sets for the new race, its not a question of that were just having a nice fun discussion about the races we know and would like to play.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

I could see Tengu coming into play with a Canthan and Centaurs and Forgotten with an Elonan campaign.

Hell, maybe there would even be a campaign specializing in the crystal desert, which would only open up the forgotten for even more obvious inclusion, assuming they haven't been almost or completely wiped out of existence by Palawa Joko.

Mursaat seem to be a race that is more difficult to work in. They were shown only in Tyria, which is the established setting of GW's initial campaign. Unless they add more to Tyria or re-explore Tyria like they did with EotN, Mursaat are unlikely, even though I want them badly.

Naga seem like they could be persuaded to ally with the other races in response to the Krait (or to Zhaitan or other water-inhabiting dragons), though given that the Naga seem exclusive to Cantha, this would involve migration of either the krait or the naga.

And then we have the not-so-likely races (mostly miscellanious ones):

Quaggan

Warden (their role is pretty much covered by Sylvari)

Dredge (eh, who knows)

Stone dwarves

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

Originally posted by Triadninja

I'm not convinced that the Mursaat actually are evil, but that's simply the way it was spun as to alleviate guilt off of their 'human prey.' Humans in many a story don't like taking responsibility for things and Guild Wars is no different. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the White Mantle contracted the Mursaat to provide protection, and what was done was considered a necessary sacrifice by the White Mantle to provide the Mursaat with the powers they needed.

I don't blame the gun, I blame the person or people who pulled the trigger. There's nothing in the lore that actually says that the Mursaat were evil, so I'm not sure if they are, I want to hear their side of things. I mean, look at the charr - not evil, it's just that the humans 'pulled the charr trigger' (so to speak) by taking their lands from them and they got what they deserved for doing so. So... Mursaat, evil? Maybe. Might perhaps more be that the White Mantle were just very evil.

Not to get into GW1 spoilers, but I'm not even sure the White Mantle are evil, seeing as how they were just trying to prevent what ultimately happened. 

Though if you take the position that a prophecy is going to happen regardless of anyone's actions (and in this case was probably self-fulfilling, seeing as how their actions to prevent it caused you to turn on them), they probably should have just left well enough alone.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

What I was getting at though is that knowing that the prophecies would come to pass, I think the protection racket was bull, and just that - a protection racket. The Mursaat being in on it, of course. So what you happened was the White Mantle using the Mursaat to instill fear over the populace, thus giving them control over all those afraid people, and offering sacrifices to the Murssat to keep them 'powered up.'

The Mursaat may be similar to vampires; They're addicted to the power of life but they can't get it easily for themselves, they need a proxy to provide them with it. And the White Mantle used that angle to get the Mursaat under their thumb. Then they spun the idea of needinig the power of their 'Mursaat gods' in order to provide protection and safety. Really, I see the White Mantle as being almost exactly the same as the Flame Legion, both using false gods for power.

So I'm absolutely convinced that--as I am with the Flame Legion--the White Mantle aren't nice people and that everything they did they did willingly. Not to protect people, that was just a racket, but to attain and secure power for themselves. This is something that the Shining Blade seemed to feel, too. And really, if the Mursaat are just like vampires and the White Mantle were providing them with a secure stream of life energies, then it might have just been the White Mantle taking advantage of the Mursaat, whereas normally the Mursaat are happy to just ekke off whatever life energies they can without a proxy. (But given a better energy source they'll take it, of course.)

We don't know that this isn't the case and, like I said, everything I saw seemed to be less the Mursaat being evil but more perhaps being desperate. The leadership of the White Mantle however did seem out and out evil. I think he and the Flame Legion Imperator would get on like a house on fire.

---

Also consider that our only real source of information about the Mursaat was the Forgotten. And the lore pretty much says that the Forgotten were tyrannical bastards before their downfall who tried to round up and brainwash the races of Tyria into worshipping the Six. The charr were having none of that of course and beat them out of their lands, but they kept it up until their fal. So the Forgotten were also not nice people, and I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw one. So any information we got from the Forgotten about the Mursaat may very well be incredibly unreliable.

• OmgZombiesOmgZombies Member Posts: 141

Cats and Dogs