Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: The Original Release Reviewed

Comments

• Delsus1Delsus1 Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Benthon

Originally posted by Delsus1

Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

I dont want the reviewer to tell me privately why they posted the review, I want them to say why in public, it would be the right thing to do,  they failed by releasing this review now, it should all be on their head as I say the only reason they would is for a final kick in the balls for SE before 1.18

You're not going to get a response by repeatedly condescending the writer and website, which is most of what you've done on this account.

If they have nothing to hide they will come out publicly if they have things to hide they wont, and your quote from what I said on the official foum was after Abriael got a temp ban for speaking hid mind about the corruption of this site just like me, so wheres my ban for speaking my mind.

This site is corrupt and will only give developers that give them money decent ratings

We could argue that SE paid off MMORPG.com to hold off the review for a X number of months.

well if according to the review there has been no changes, because this is discribing the game at launch theres no mention of any new patches then I might agree you but not if tehy release it 4 days before a patch

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

I dont want the reviewer to tell me privately why they posted the review, I want them to say why in public, it would be the right thing to do,  they failed by releasing this review now, it should all be on their head as I say the only reason they would is for a final kick in the balls for SE before 1.18

You're not going to get a response by repeatedly condescending the writer and website, which is most of what you've done on this account.

If they have nothing to hide they will come out publicly if they have things to hide they wont, and your quote from what I said on the official foum was after Abriael got a temp ban for speaking hid mind about the corruption of this site just like me, so wheres my ban for speaking my mind.

This site is corrupt and will only give developers that give them money decent ratings

We could argue that SE paid off MMORPG.com to hold off the review for a X number of months.

well if according to the review there has been no changes, because this is discribing the game at launch theres no mention of any new patches then I might agree you but not if tehy release it 4 days before a patch

How is it describing the game at launch? Everything that is written is still things you play with today. Also,

Original Post

"Before we take a look at Final Fantasy XIV, I want to preface this article with a disclosure. Here at MMORPG.com, we are aware that games are always patching and game updates are pending pretty much forever. However, until those changes are live on the servers, we cannot anticipate how they will affect the gameplay or community, and therefore those rumors and announcements do not affect the score card detailed below. We feel we’ve waited more than long enough to give FFXIV a fair shake. Check back with us later this year for an update after those changes are live."

They've promised and said "Hey, we'll come back in a little while and see what's changed but we, and players, have waited long enough for this."

Just because they didn't exclusively say "Oh yeah there was patch 1.14 and patch 1.15 and then this and this" doesn't mean anything.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• GodshelpGodshelp Member Posts: 16

In all honesty, I am getting tired of reviews and people saying this is the worst MMO ever.

Listen up, FFXI had a horrible launch and horrible first year when it launched in Japan.  The NA got it a year after JP and had the more polished version.  Give FFXIV time to fix up, such as 1.18 on Friday.  FFXIV is repeating that, except Japan and the NA shared the launch this time.

How is it describing the game at launch? Everything that is written is still things you play with today. Also,

Original Post

"Before we take a look at Final Fantasy XIV, I want to preface this article with a disclosure. Here at MMORPG.com, we are aware that games are always patching and game updates are pending pretty much forever. However, until those changes are live on the servers, we cannot anticipate how they will affect the gameplay or community, and therefore those rumors and announcements do not affect the score card detailed below. We feel we’ve waited more than long enough to give FFXIV a fair shake. Check back with us later this year for an update after those changes are live."

I dont see the words "Sidequests" "Notorious Monsters" "SP ajustments" "Behest ajustments" these are things that should have been looked into for a new edited reveiw, because they are in the game right now

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"It's simply absolutely silly to review a game just before a sizable patch. The fact that other patches (even in othr games) disappointed is no reason to downplay the very solid possibility that this one will improve FInal Fantasy XIV by a lot"

That quote made me chuckle.  Especially since every patch to date has been, at best, abyssmal.  Expecting a company constantly tilting at windmills to suddenly change course requires an immense amount of bravado.

This game does not need patches, it needs a complete rewrite.  Someone in a prior post said it best, this game takes the word tedious and puts an exclamation mark on it, and the upcoming patch changes that not at all. 

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by Master10K

Wow. I'm just surprised this game is almost a year old and yet this review would have remained mostly the same, if it was written within a month of the game's release. I mean, people may hate on a company like Trion but you have to give them credit for fixing a ton of issues and adding tangible content in the 4 months their game has been out.

The reason people dislike Trion's baby is the complete lack of originality, but the game is really polished. This you cannot say about FF IV, sadly.. I have also played in beta, and my god, the interface was just mind-numbingly painfull. It seems that almost after 1 year, all my complaints are still unresolved.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Why should we give it more time to fix itself?  It hasn't done thus far and it's been a year.  What about all those patches previously?  These .18's are so highly touted.. maybe had they released 6 months ago..

Originally posted by Ozmodan

"It's simply absolutely silly to review a game just before a sizable patch. The fact that other patches (even in othr games) disappointed is no reason to downplay the very solid possibility that this one will improve FInal Fantasy XIV by a lot"

That quote made me chuckle.  Especially since every patch to date has been, at best, abyssmal.  Expecting a company constantly tilting at windmills to suddenly change course requires an immense amount of bravado.

This game does not need patches, it needs a complete rewrite.  Someone in a prior post said it best, this game takes the word tedious and puts an exclamation mark on it, and the upcoming patch changes that not at all. 

They are overhauling the game right now, the first changes will be seen on friday when it should have1.18 and the first of the battle changes, alot of changes will be done and in september it will be a completly differant game

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by ZizouX

Value: in the grand scheme of things, the value of this patch won't increase the value of the game by more than an tiny margin.

How the heck do you know?

Probably because he's not born yesterday.

I dont see the words "Sidequests" "Notorious Monsters" "SP ajustments" "Behest ajustments" these are things that should have been looked into for a new edited reveiw, because they are in the game right now

... Every single one of the things you named would be lumped into Gameplay. All those things you mentioned are a bit too specific for a review, especially adjustments? Really? You want them to mention how they've adjusted systems yet the review is based on what the game is right now. This isn't FFXIV: A Complete Guide to Patches + A BONUS review! :)

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Yeah..... Which what they are doing? Which is why the patches have been so small so far? Which is why there's grounds to be excited for 1.18 because we're finally going to see some of the fruits of this rewrite actually happen, finally?? 

Really guys if you do not know why the game is where it's at and can't spend the time reading the information helpfully posted in this thread, why are you still posting? :P 

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

They are overhauling the game right now, the first changes will be seen on friday when it should have1.18 and the first of the battle changes, alot of changes will be done and in september it will be a completly differant game

This has been said about many, many other MMOs.

The changes listed are good for players and it's expected to be excited for them. But don't hype them up so much yet. It's better to be pleasantly surprised when it finally arrives, than feel underwhelmed.

So is Mortal Online, and Darkfall, and SWG, and EQ2 and Shadowbane. One of those games doesn't even exist and I'm pretty sure Henrik says the word "overhaul" to himself in the mirror every morning before heading to work. The statement just doesn't hold weight.

I'm sure this is how the SOE billed NGE too.

The changes listed are good for players and it's expected to be excited for them. But don't hype them up so much yet. It's better to be pleasantly surprised when it finally arrives, than feel underwhelmed.

The fact that its being rewritten changes everything, if a game is crap a review can say it, but if a patch that is the start of a complete rewrite is just plain stupid, anyone with half a brain knows this

The fact that its being rewritten changes everything, if a game is crap a review can say it, but if a patch that is the start of a complete rewrite is just plain stupid, anyone with half a brain knows this

Have we somehow forum traveled to the Mortal Online forums?

Your statements and hype are noteworthy and it's good to know such faith exists, but generally these type of statements are one's that make people shy away from a certain game after seeing them.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Quote: "We feel we’ve waited more than long enough to give FFXIV a fair shake."

Why may I ask that you give them a fair shake,  is it because they asked for it?

I don't mean to be rude but what about the fair shake to the community, especially the one's that spent money for the box and came to regret it.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget

Quote: "We feel we’ve waited more than long enough to give FFXIV a fair shake."

Why may I ask that you give them a fair shake,  is it because they asked for it?

I don't mean to be rude but what about the fair shake to the community, especially the one's that spent money for the box and came to regret it.

SE gave you a fair shake of your pockets. :D

I love how there is a few people up above in this thread trying to kill off the FFXIV community.

If you guys don't like the game, stop commenting on it and stop trying to get everyone to believe the overhaul is going to do nothing.  They are adding a lot more content in the next three patches.  Instances, implementing mounts and pets (Because old team was too lazy to do that I guess.), a new battle system, no EXP limitations anymore (More stupidity from old team.) and more to do in general.

Also the reviewer only had PUG rank 1 and physical lvl r2, which proves to me he barely played it, so couldnt get a full feeling for most changes, like NMs, sidequests and behest changes, it looks like they played for less than 30 mins and wanted to write a review that should show changes for high ranks which they couldnt, this is a launch review because of what it covers and should be removed because its missleading saying nothing has changed. SS of r50 or the review is worth nothing.

Originally posted by Godshelp

I love how there is a few people up above in this thread trying to kill off the FFXIV community.

And there are a few people with 25 posts or less on this particular thread defending it.  I'm not attacking the community.  I'm saying that MMORPG is being yelled at for waiting and then they review it and people complain.  Then they complain they should have waited for yet another patch.   Mind you this is patch 1.18 so following most intelligent version info.. they had 18! updates before this one.

And when you say new dev team, all they did was replace one director and bump everyone else on the SAME team up a notch.

If you guys don't like the game, stop commenting on it and stop trying to get everyone to believe the overhaul is going to do nothing.  They are adding a lot more content in the next three patches.  Instances, implementing mounts and pets (Because old team was too lazy to do that I guess.), a new battle system, no EXP limitations anymore (More stupidity from old team.) and more to do in general.

I'm not trying to kill off any community. FFXIV actually has one of the more enjoyable communities (if you can get them talking). Not commenting or commenting on something is my prerogative as these are discussion forums. The patches are just that, patches. They change things, they fix things, and sometimes they break things, but any singular patch is definitely no miracle patch.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Also the reviewer only had PUG rank 1 and physical lvl r2, which proves to me he barely played it

To be fair we don't really know that, that's just when they took those screenshots. Though by reading the article I don't think they got much beyond level 12 ish. 

@Ikeda *points at my post count* I've been away a while but I used to a 5 star elite member. XD  

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

Originally posted by Ikeda

And there are a few people with 25 posts or less on this particular thread defending it.  I'm not attacking the community.  I'm saying that MMORPG is being yelled at for waiting and then they review it and people complain.  Then they complain they should have waited for yet another patch.   Mind you this is patch 1.18 so following most intelligent version info.. they had 18! updates before this one.

And when you say new dev team, all they did was replace one director and bump everyone else on the SAME team up a notch.

They moves alot of the lead devs round and alot of the lower down devs will have been moved around just never got mentioned, it is a completly new team

For one, I said the next THREE patches.  Not just 1.18.

@Ikeda: They had a bunch before, yes.  But like I said, they had the old director and he wasn't doing well.  Once they got the new director, more patches came out and more content has been worked on.