Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

this game doesent have the droids im looking for

HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

why are robot lovers like myself constantly stepped on in games like these?  arent droids a fundamental aspect of star wars? why the lack of a payer character race?

Comments

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

{mod edit - image resized}

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

IIRC jedi chars have the option of getting r2-d2 type droids.  And I think sith warriors can get an hk-47 one.

hk-47 pwns all.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• kingfelixkingfelix Member UncommonPosts: 214
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Droids are not a viable option for player races in Star Wars. It would mess up the feel of droids in SW universe. The few exceptions who have a role (IG-88, HK-47) are cool because they are exceptions.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

So you want to play a brainless droid? PvP would be fun for a droid, "Hey, just hit his off switch". Then you would be done for the night. Or a smuggler could just send in his Wookie companion to rip your arms off.

On a serious note, I do believe someone said there will be a cyborg class. So you may be part machine. That is something anyway.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

You will have Droids as companion characters for some classes. They will be in supporting roles just like in the movies.

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

what about general grevious, or that droid bounty hunter from empire strikes back? 

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

Not that I'm an IP stickler, but since when were droids main characters in Star Wars? C3PO and R2D2 were definatly part of the story, but not integral, an droids were always shown as side kicks, etc. (There is the ridiculous General Whatshisname in the last of the Star Wars movies, but that's the only example I can think of)

[Mod Edit]

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Cruoris

what about general grevious, or that droid bounty hunter from empire strikes back? 

General Greivous was not a complete droid. He was originally human. i think, he could have been some other race, but I am pretty sure he started out as a biological.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• EvilAnimalEvilAnimal Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by sungodra

General Greivous was not a complete droid. He was originally human. i think, he could have been some other race, but I am pretty sure he started out as a biological.

indeed, but there wasn't much left of his biological beeing. parts of his face(especially eyes) and his heart(which got shot with a blaster by obi wan and meant grevious' death) were shown in the movie. so he was definitely no droid :)

• aviciavici Member Posts: 44

I don't like the idea of a pure droid playable race;  However, I do think the ablitlity to build a custom droid would be fun. Even in SWG, with crafting droids as an option I feel that it was still too limited.  As someone mentioned in this thread, the droids primarily have been utilized as a side kick type role.  Even so, those side kicks sort of ended up with the main characters nearly everywhere. It would be neat to gather droid parts along the way and have a large variety of options for building it.  That would satisfy both the droid lovers, and those that would  gut C-3PO's protocol parts and install them in a  shoebox with wheels rather than have him clunking around.

• teknotazteknotaz Member UncommonPosts: 112

having a driod as a by my side is ok but as a reg. char. no thank you

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

General Grievous was a biological being, with a full body droid rebuild.  He still had his cranium, and his internal organs were encased in some sort of glass case.   You can see that during the movie when obi wan tore open the exoskeleton and then fired into the container of internal organs.

I am not sure what race grievous was but I don't think he was human, not even wiki says what race he was.  So saying he was a droid is wrong, even wiki says he was a cybernetic organism.

So no who wants to be c3po or r2d2,  they seam to be the only 2 droids with half a brain.  R2D2 is probably the smartest of the bunch, but if you read any star wars books and understand teh canon, then R2D2 was a heavily modified droid who had been modified a lot by youn skywalker.   So those 2 are not the norm. 

Even in Star Wars the clone wars all the droids are the but of the joke per say, as in they show them doing stupid stuff, and being killed for comic relief.

• general grievous was a kaleesh.  inquistors get a kaleesh companion named Xalek.

Originally posted by erictlewis

General Grievous was a biological being, with a full body droid rebuild.  He still had his cranium, and his internal organs were encased in some sort of glass case.   You can see that during the movie when obi wan tore open the exoskeleton and then fired into the container of internal organs.

I am not sure what race grievous was but I don't think he was human, not even wiki says what race he was.  So saying he was a droid is wrong, even wiki says he was a cybernetic organism.

So no who wants to be c3po or r2d2,  they seam to be the only 2 droids with half a brain.  R2D2 is probably the smartest of the bunch, but if you read any star wars books and understand teh canon, then R2D2 was a heavily modified droid who had been modified a lot by youn skywalker.   So those 2 are not the norm. 

Even in Star Wars the clone wars all the droids are the but of the joke per say, as in they show them doing stupid stuff, and being killed for comic relief.

chewbacca is mainly played for comic relief.  and as for story impact, what exactly did han solo ever do that a GPS couldnt?  oh yea, crack jokes and mainly get played for comic relief.

i just like the idea of playing a robot. you'd think a franchise with self aware robots filling almost all slots in multiple societies would be granted a player option for players like me.  C3P-0 has more dialogue and is present in more scenes than any other character. R2D2 solved more story conflict than ALL of the other main characters put together, who cares if HE in particular has a tinkered back story. hes still a droid.  there is a fully sentient droid in jabbas palace, and lots of other places too. i repeat the droid bounty hunter in empire strikes back..   and yet darth mauls lame  superficially cool appearance species gets in?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/IG-86_sentinel_droid    here is a fine example of a playable sentient droid race.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

C'mon people, get real.  There shouldn't be playable droids running around.  Next thing you know you'll be asking for playable sith or jedi or something even more ridiculous.   /eyeroll

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

When thinking playable races you gotta look at it this way.

Sure some people might like to play driods and more power to them.

But first off you gotta figure out if one what your going for works in your game, Does this playable race make sense with the setting, story, backstory and all the stuff going on in the world.

Second whenever you make a playable race, and more so in this game's case, imagine your world with that playable race times a thousand. Does that make the world look realistic, is that what you want your world to look like. Because it will if you add that race into the game.

I hate to bring this game into the mix as it tends to spiral out of control so i'll make it quick.( I pinky swear it will be really short :P) 

When SoE brought in jedis, you saw jedis at every step of the way. Everyone wanted to be one and now they could (if they worked hard enough ) Figuring that luke was suppose to be the only one (or at the end 2) jedi remaining that really broke up the lore of the world.

It really depends on how Bioware has the lore of the world set up, if they have driods as second class citizens that can't leave their master's side, then it would look really weird to suddenly see one doing that out in the open with no law enforcement chasing them. I know stupid reasoning but it could be something like that.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Why would anyone want to play a droid in the Star Wars universe? They're expendable sidekicks.

Have any Star Wars games aside from the LEGO ones had playable droids?

• EvilAnimalEvilAnimal Member UncommonPosts: 28

Originally posted by Lidane

Why would anyone want to play a droid in the Star Wars universe? They're expendable sidekicks.

"star wars: battlefront 2" has 4 diffrent playable droids

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by EvilAnimal

Originally posted by Lidane

"star wars: battlefront 2" has 4 diffrent playable droids

OK. How important were those droids to the overall story of Battlefront 2? I remember the plot being told from a Stormtrooper's POV, but it's admittedly been a while since I thought of it.

Would a playable droid race really offer that much to a game like SW:TOR in terms of actual drama and conflict? In general, droids were always second-class in the films and in previous games. I can't see the point of wanting to be one, tbh.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by kingfelix

so say we all.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I'd like to have playable droids as an option.  Could definitely give some more RP depth.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

i would be happy with the IG-88 line of droids as a player option.  for those who keep saying "droids dont fit the setting", what planet are you on?  Droids were the first main characters seen in the series. they are sentient, humanoid (for the most part), capable of using items and gear and filling classes and professions.  there is a mountain of lore explaining which droids are self aware and which ones just turn the lights on.   if you look at the story from the right perspective, the entire layout is about the journey of droids.   R2D2 is essentially the audience stand in for much of lukes training.  there was a freaking droid revolution underway.    

do people have any basis for not wanting droids PC's, beyond hollow preference?

besides, what about that lame Blue skinned race. what, are their entire species traits largely defined by that one characters personality in the books that happen after RotJ?  they dont appear in a single movie, and you think droids dont fit the setting?