Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contrarily, games you bought with good reviews that were awful?

2»

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Rifts hands down. So much potential only to turn out to be so much a clone and further taking mmo's into the wrong direction.

You stay sassy!

• JudasaceJudasace Member Posts: 53

DA:O highly overrated...bored senseless every time I tried to play it.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I stopped letting critic reviews influence my game buying decisions a very, very long time ago.  With gameplay videos all over the net, demos and so much information at our finger tips to let a site like metacritic have that much control over our gaming is assanine.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Z3R01

I stopped letting critic reviews influence my game buying decisions a very, very long time ago.  With gameplay videos all over the net, demos and so much information at our finger tips to let a site like metacritic have that much control over our gaming is assanine.

How is metacritic bad?

I find it quite the opposite of what you're suggesting. It allows users to get a far more informed perception of how a game is. Not only does it give a broader sense of reviews, but it also allows users to score and review games as well. Honeslty I tend to find the user reviews a lot more accurate as they go into greater depth as to what the game features and what it does well and what is doesn't do well.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

meh for my game buying i use 4 systems to figure out if i want to buy it.

price.

what the reviews say about it pro/con ect

any torrented or demo version i tried (be it that game version or an older version)

my own experiance with the company/game...

to say OH the reviews on this game are 100% i must buy it .. is retarded no one has the same taste as everyone else. other wise we would all be playing farm vill... cause totally the reviews on that "game" means it must be the messiah of games..

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

GW1 big time.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• marmotomarmoto Member CommonPosts: 101

DA 2, 

not OT but... really you didn t like oblivion????? lol

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by marmoto

DA 2, 

not OT but... really you didn t like oblivion????? lol

Not the OP but  I personally thought I was really over rated.

8 out of 10 maybe.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

CoD:  Black Ops, which I wasn't even planning on buying in the first place.  Bought it for multiplayer with friends.  I'm suprised the game got such good reviews, as it was a sequel that was inferior to previous generations of the game in almost every way.

I usually check metacritic reviews and then decide for myself whether or not I'm going to like the game (actually read the reviews and not judge just based off score).  I'm almost never disappointed and usually agree with critics except on various FPS games.  Certain reviewer's opinions hold more weight to me than others.  Some tend to rate indie games higher while others tend to rate popular games higher.  Being aware of this helps when making a decision, but ultimately the best advice is to read the articles and find out about the mechanics and how well done they are before making a purchasing decision.   Try to get your hands on a demo if possible too.

I've had a lot more than worked the other way around.  Loads of games I enjoyed that got harsh critic reviews.

• VaettirVaettir Member Posts: 68

Final Fantasy XIII.

The game was stunningly beautiful. Its battle system had a lot of potential. 

Sadly, that potential was wasted to an unacceptable degree, and the game's flow was disrupted by mandatory hours of grinding. Eventually boredom outweighed the desire to see the rest of the beautiful environments, and I never finished.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Starcraft 2, you can only dumb down a game so far before losing the more dedicated players of that genre. Big let down, no more Blizzard games for me.

I hated Dragon Age at first, but I got into it after the 4th try. GW1 drove me nuts, yet I cannot wait for GW2 as they seem to have left out all the bad things about 1... we shall see. FFXI was very dull with a nightmare UI.

I've wasted a lot of money on overrated games this year.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

GW1 and Oblivion by far. Who hyped that rubbish up?

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Starcraft 2

• LaverreLaverre Member Posts: 4

The Sims... although not awful in itself, I just never understood the thrill of seeing small people go to the toilet, do housework and have uninteresting parties.. but well I couldn't understand the whole Tamagotchi hype either so not much of a surprise perhaps.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

DA:O   i thought the game was really bad, it was hailed as a spiritual baldur's gate, i guess i expected too much from it

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Playing it native (no mods), the game is average at best.

lol@GOTY

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by needalife214

DA:O   i thought the game was really bad, it was hailed as a spiritual baldur's gate, i guess i expected too much from it

Ill have to +1 this.

I didnt enjoy DA:O much at all.  I thought it seemed ok but It didnt really play as well as I wanted.  I hated the aesthetics and I absolutely hated how overpowered the mage was o.o

Edit :

I loved th AI control though.  Reminded me of FF12

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by Snaylor47

GW1 big time.

Same here. The no subscription lure got me, but it was truly a BIG disappointment.

• KrulosKrulos Member Posts: 68

WOW, WAR,  AoC, Rift

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

That's easy WoW and guild Wars. Didn't even have to think much on it.