Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space combat is...

Comments

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by Deewe

Originally posted by kingfelix

I think what some people here are failing to understand is that other people on here fully understand that "it's a minigame" and are unhappy about this fact.

So true, and how convenient it's to blindly state it's just a minigame.

Now think about the following: there won't even be other minigames like Pazaak and swoop racing. Gameplays that are both in Kotor I & II and were expected to be in by the majority of the single player game fans.

It's not convenient, it's stating facts, it's a minigame. Most when asked will say that they'd rather have more for space combat when the choice is there, however most of those people also won't keep on complaining over and over and over again that it isn't what they'd wanted to see from it.

Also it's about seeing things in perspective: SWG didn't have anything regarding space at its launch.

Somehow Maverick reminds me of that guy hyping AoC pre-release like his life depended on it. Anyone remember his name? He disappeared after release, not surprisingly. Wish you a better post-release posting :D

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Isn't this already known that its a mini-game on rails ? Bad decision in my opinion. Should have left space combat alone until you do it the right way which is open space travel with combat. Even if they let fans wait another year or 2 for it, it is worth the wait. Which brings me to the question of what else is being rushed out the door ?

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

You guys do know that space combat is outsourced right?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by Requiamer

My point of view about this is that Lucas specifically asked to have space ship combat and few other features that are a must in his ip, and Bioware had to do something, but it was so off from their vision, they just slap a crappy '80 system in their mmo to fillfull that. I see no other logical reason for this. I'm pretty sure Lucas expected something more like Eve, but whatever.

Edit: And the mini game theory, i don't beleive in it a second, if they designed the game to have some mini games, then the game would have at least 4/5 of them, but it doesn't from my knowledge.

Haha you think Lucas want something like EVE?!? EVE isn't popular game, most casual don't like it because it boring sandboxer. Oh but history clearly shows that people want sandbox MMO, oh they don't! Majority of people don't want ultra complex space sim, they want simple FUN game that makes them feel good after few hours of gaming. Spending 2 hours mining some fricking asteroids in empty, dark space middle of nowhere isn't FUN!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

And what some of us are saying is that we're not happy with this being a mini-game, and that we actually expected more regardless of what Bioware was planning.

That's the key thing here, never expect anything of a game, that's what leads to disappointment. You can't fault Bioware for not meeting your expectations, they're not making the game just for you or me.

Besides it could be worse, they could have just added a turret shooter.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Isn't this already known that its a mini-game on rails ? Bad decision in my opinion. Should have left space combat alone until you do it the right way which is open space travel with combat. Even if they let fans wait another year or 2 for it, it is worth the wait. Which brings me to the question of what else is being rushed out the door ?

Rail shooter =/= rushed and not fun for anyone? Quite the leap in logic you're making there. Who's to say what the right way is?

That's like saying they should have never added pazaak, or speeder racing in KOTOR because you didn't personally like it, as they're basically the same thing as this mini-games, you don't have to take part in if you don't want to. In other words you can ignore it, and it would be like they never added it at all.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by keithian

Ummmm, you are comparing what is just meant as a mini game to what are the core of other games. Irrelevant thread. Its a MINI GAME, like if they add playing Paazak eventually. What part of that do you not understand? Some of you need to reset your expectations and stop knocking on what are ancilllary fun additions to the game.

Space combat is not the core of  a Star Wars MMO? ROFLMAO

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Metentso

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by kingfelix

I think what some people here are failing to understand is that other people on here fully understand that "it's a minigame" and are unhappy about this fact.

So true, and how convenient it's to blindly state it's just a minigame.

Now think about the following: there won't even be other minigames like Pazaak and swoop racing. Gameplays that are both in Kotor I & II and were expected to be in by the majority of the single player game fans.

It's not convenient, it's stating facts, it's a minigame. Most when asked will say that they'd rather have more for space combat when the choice is there, however most of those people also won't keep on complaining over and over and over again that it isn't what they'd wanted to see from it.

Also it's about seeing things in perspective: SWG didn't have anything regarding space at its launch.

Somehow Maverick reminds me of that guy hyping AoC pre-release like his life depended on it. Anyone remember his name? He disappeared after release, not surprisingly. Wish you a better post-release posting :D

Amazing Avery you mean?

hehe :)

To some folks admitting their chosen game isnt perfect pre launch is seen as unforgivable weakness, it's just how it is here. I prefer to take amore balanced view on this game, recognising it's pros and cons (even to the point I will be buying it at launch to guild with some friends for the first month).

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Sasami

Originally posted by Requiamer

My point of view about this is that Lucas specifically asked to have space ship combat and few other features that are a must in his ip, and Bioware had to do something, but it was so off from their vision, they just slap a crappy '80 system in their mmo to fillfull that. I see no other logical reason for this. I'm pretty sure Lucas expected something more like Eve, but whatever.

Edit: And the mini game theory, i don't beleive in it a second, if they designed the game to have some mini games, then the game would have at least 4/5 of them, but it doesn't from my knowledge.

Haha you think Lucas want something like EVE?!? EVE isn't popular game, most casual don't like it because it boring sandboxer. Oh but history clearly shows that people want sandbox MMO, oh they don't! Majority of people don't want ultra complex space sim, they want simple FUN game that makes them feel good after few hours of gaming. Spending 2 hours mining some fricking asteroids in empty, dark space middle of nowhere isn't FUN!

No, thats not what i said, try to read it again. I was talking about space combat only. In Eve, space ship actually battle like in the SW movies, it doesn't look like an arcade mini game, that was what i was saying.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by wrekognize

Ummmm, you are comparing what is just meant as a mini game to what are the core of other games. Irrelevant thread. Its a MINI GAME, like if they add playing Paazak eventually. What part of that do you not understand? Some of you need to reset your expectations and stop knocking on what are ancilllary fun additions to the game.

Space combat is not the core of  a Star Wars MMO? ROFLMAO

Uh, space combat isnt the core of pretty much every single star wars game that comes out, so why is this funny?

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

Originally posted by wrekognize

Space combat is not the core of  a Star Wars MMO?

It wasn't the core of SWG or TOR, so I guess it's not. Well at least it hasn't been up to this point.

Originally posted by vesavius

Amazing Avery you mean?

hehe :)

To some folks admitting their chosen game isnt perfect pre launch is seen as unforgivable weakness, it's just how it is here. I prefer to take amore balanced view on this game, recognising it's pros and cons (even to the point I will be buying it at launch to guild with some friends for the first month).

AA never disappeared so I doubt he's talking about him. He's still as active as ever on this site from what I've seen.

Many recognize the Pro's and Con's of TOR, most from what I've seen actually, they just focus on more than what's bad about it, as there's no reason to conistently bother themselves with what they don't like and can't change about the game.

Some focus on the negatives a bit too much, and hardly ever speak of the positives. We are all aware of the limitations a themepark game usually carries with it. For instance I am a sandbox fan for the most part and haven't found many TP's to be fun experiences. I'm well aware TOR will have a lot of things I haven't been a fan of in the past, as well as things I have such as the companions, story elements and PVP.

How good any of it is remains to be seen, if I don't know how good it will be , I equally don't know how bad it will be.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

I will be buying and playing TOR, for at least a month and a half, but after that I'm fairly certain the game looks a little thin. I would have forgone all wants for anything sandbox for a space combat setup along the lines of Battlefront with mmo customization.

I'd pin my hopes on PVP now, but I'm getting more and more convinced we will get instances, warzones, and pvp lakes with no objective.

Space in SWG, was why I played SWG. I don't see why Bioware would....I don't want too say take the easy way out of doing anything meaninful in space, but yeah, they didn't make space something to sink my time into and have fun. Seems like a lost oppurtunity.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by Malickie

And what some of us are saying is that we're not happy with this being a mini-game, and that we actually expected more regardless of what Bioware was planning.

That's the key thing here, never expect anything of a game, that's what leads to disappointment. You can't fault Bioware for not meeting your expectations, they're not making the game just for you or me.

That's where you're wrong, though. Being a consumer, I can fault Bioware for whatever reason I desire, and I'm not saying that I'm looking to do so. I'm just saying that, being an individual who's going to spend money on this title, I'm allowed to expect more from them, and so are all of you.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

lets be honest space combat was added at player request. Sure its a mini game but u can upgrade your ship this way. They have also stated it can be changed after launch to have more freedom. From everythign ive seen though it looks pretty cool.

This game was based on story and what happens on planets just like 90 pct of the movies. Lets face it u are lucky if 10 pct of the 6 movies even have space in them and when it does its for combat. 

If u want to find planets never before discovered and use it for exploration of space this was never your game to begin wiht nor is the star wars unvierse. Other then the unknown regions space is pretty mcuh a discovered entity has been for milennia.

This was  never gonna be a space sim game if thats what u want go play eve online.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

I always have expectations, thats how I don't spend all my money on every piece'o'crap put out now adays. I buy  games that look like they might have a chance too live up too some of my expectations(not all, as I realize we can all create some pretty large hopes), but space, man, they could have given us the marvelous dragon fly mini game from jade empire, its about the same level as a rail shooter.

They could have done better,  by doing anything else. IMO

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

That's where you're wrong, though. Being a consumer, I can fault Bioware for whatever reason I desire, and I'm not saying that I'm looking to do so. I'm just saying that, being an individual who's going to spend money on this title, I'm allowed to expect more from them, and so are all of you.

We can hope for/expect what ever we wish in life. Doesn't mean we are going to get it. And if spending money gives us entitlement to make decisions about how a game should be designed, well I think the amount bioware spent on the game out bids the two of us by quite a margin.

In this instance I find it strange that some here continue to run this topic into the ground when they claim to both know exactly what the space combat will be like, they claim to know that is all Bioware has in store for us, and they know for a fact they will hate it. Except for maybe venting I fail to see any point in them continuing the discussion when they "know" how its all going to turn out.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Taking into consideration the design of the game as a whole, deadlines for production, and allocation of labor, this choice actually makes more sense from their perspective than it doesn't. They weren't going to have a space sandbox or hard core flight sim on a story-based, cinematic styled MMO. I dont know how they will upgrade this later, and even though that's been said many times I have a hard time believing that they will construct a whole new space game (with the same ships) a year down the road.

The irony here is that by putting it on rails they may have dealt a blow to immersion. The story gets pursued in the space missions, but your ability to react to it is limited, so it may be like a cut-scene with button pushing.

Of course this is no great loss if you were focused on the ground game anyway.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I would never expect the space combat in SWTOR to be as good as Star Fox.  Star Fox was an entire game dedicated to being a tunnel shooter, and it was awesome.  In fact, whenever an MMORPG does "something" that another game is entirely dedicated too, you can expect the MMORPG to have a subpar version.  For example, I generally do not expect the combat of an MMORPG to be as graphically impressive or exciting as a game like God of War that is basically all about combat.

That said, what makes the MMORPG version of something that another game is dedicated to worthwhile is that it fits into the MMORPG world in an interesting way.  For example, combat.  Combat in an MMORPG is not as exciting as a game devoted to combat.  BUT combat in an MMORPG is influenced by all of the choices and variety that the MMORPG offers.  How you progress and build your character affects combat and combat in turn enables you to build nd customize your character in different ways (through exp).  It's a synergistic relationship.  A game completely devoted to combat will not offer this kind of experience to the degree an MMORPG can.

And this is basically why I am disappointed with SWTOR's choice to make space combat a mini-game.  It's because it has very little to do with the rest of the game.  As I understand it, your performance in the regular SWTOR game won't influence space combat much, and your performance in space combat won't influence the regular SWTOR game much.  So it basically loses what's supposed to make a "subpar" activity in an MMORPG cool.  And that's tying the activity into the overall picture.

The whole should be more than the sum of its parts, and I'm worried that with the minigame space combat...it won't be.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Id like to point out something that all the whiners are forgetting. Sure its on rails but its not a tunnell shooter perse u can move left and right up and down and have to u just cant go anywhere uw ant to . 

2 Expansions allow mmo's to do alot of drastic things to there games if u dont think so look at cataclysm in wow. While i dont like everything about it the changes they made to old world zones are amazing. 

so going and fleshing out space to be more then a rail shooter is possible. Also improving on the concept they start with is not on possible but likely.

The fact is bioware is making a star wars game. Star wars takes place on the planets for 90 pct of it. Its jedi/ sith. Ground based combat. If looking at classes didnt hint at this nothing did. 

As for not affecting each other thats a good thing. Space combat is there to do if u want but not a necessary part of the game. stuff like that might actually make for a fun thing to do when u max out and need little things to do.

People want to go fishing the boringest mmo hoby ever in  my opinon but u have an issue wiht a space shooter like star fox in an mmo makes no sense to me if u want fishing and neft herders in your game why a tunnell shooter would bother u.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

X-Wing Alliance was the greatest Star Wars Space Flier ever made.

I wish it weren't forgotten by game designers today.

Originally posted by Creslin321

Star Fox was an entire game dedicated to being a tunnel shooter, and it was awesome.

This is what I was more or less saying though I was very brief and didn't specify what I meant

I'm going to blame myself for this response, as the above is what I was saying a person can't expect. Which it sounded to me you were. An entire separate game tacked on to an already (estimated) expansive game. We all have a personal expectattion of quality. That's perfectly reasonable, but to expect certain features to all be done to our liking is a different thing entirely.

If devs made things to every players (content) expectations they'd each be making millions of games per developer. If someone was to make my ideal Star Wars game it would essentially be multiple games in their entirety. It would be SWG, KOTOR 3-9, EVE for player politics and market set up, three faction PVP, as well as diplomacy, Imperials (sith), the republic, and teh underground, smugs BH's, black market craftsman etc.. So it would essentially be SWG, EVE, TOR and DAOC all rolled into one.

Sometimes it seems like MMO fans today are expecting multiple games in one offering, it's just an unrealistic expectation. If you tack on something that requires the focus of a completely separate game, it's never going to be something that's given proper focus.

There's a reason Dev's don't try and do it all in one game, because if you do something is going to be lacking, or everything will be. People keep bringing up X-wing, why was X-wing so good? Because it had one focus, space simulation.

Why was KOTOR good? Because it had one focus, Why did jedi academy lack in the control department? Because it tried focusing on two combat systems, same with TES, and FO3. Remember the Rebel Assulat game for older consoles? The one that had really crappy shooting mechanics and sub par space systems? It tried to have too broad a focus.

Why could TOR's TS be okay? Because it's not trying to be something it's not, and is given proper focus of a completely different gaming style, minimal.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

My thoughts exactly, Malickie. Where's that karma button...?

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by aktalat

Not even as good as Star Fox.

The rumors are out. I was prepared but not to that extend. I care, I'm disappointed.

And I thought JTL sucked :/

Not sure what you mean... If you're saying the JTL (Jump to Lightspeed) expansion for Star Wars Galaxies "sucked" that's just not true, in fact I'd say combat in space was hugely better then on the ground even pre-CU. The space game in SWG had a logic to it, the ground game was a lot of /headHit3 keyboard mashing. 

I agree...Space in SWG was amazing. It was like having two MMO's in one.

Oh I want to point out another thing in conjunction with my last post, why could TOR suffer overall? Because it's trying to have a really broad focus, maybe as another thread suggested they are trying "Too Hard".