Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WAR40K Dark Millenium - Only Two Factions Confirmed

1234568»

Comments

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Ichmen while 40k fluff clearly makes that retarded to do... as a game it would work.

no, it doesnt, sides team up all the time in 40k.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Ichmen while 40k fluff clearly makes that retarded to do... as a game it would work.

You make it sound like lord of the rings, when its alot more complex(and rare) 95% of the time the factions are fighting alone

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by dinams

You make it sound like lord of the rings, when its alot more complex(and rare)

Table top version of the game? Sure sides team up all the time, 4 player games and what-not... Fluff wise however, much more rare than what people think.

• tapeworm00tapeworm00 Member Posts: 549

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by guignol69

Originally posted by rav3n2

Most ppl dont really care about lore the sooner the lore fans realize that the better, otherwise you are just not gonna enjoy the game

BURN THE HERETIC !!!

I have to agree with you. Regular MMO fans might not really care about the lore but there are millions of Warhammer fans out there that are potential players.

A certain other game pissed all those fans off and therefor lost all those potential subs, there is no point in using an existing IP if you don't make the game for the fans of that IP.

Sure, you can just make a regular MMO that are like the rest but the market for that is tough. 40K fans will keep their eyes on this game, screwing them over is not particularly smart.

Yeah, agreed, I mean, if people didn't care for lore, then why make Warhammer 40 000 in the first place? Why not make a new IP? If you want to do anything you want with gameplay, it's easier to start from zero than to adapt a world with who knows how many fans from decades back that know their thing inside out. 

Originally posted by Zarynterk

You make it sound like lord of the rings, when its alot more complex(and rare)

Table top version of the game? Sure sides team up all the time, 4 player games and what-not... Fluff wise however, much more rare than what people think.

Of course is fluff-wise, if we based on the table top it would be the same of playing warcraft and siding Orcs and Humans and say "look they are playing together, they must team up all the time!" (Ok actually they do, lol, blame blizzard for screwing up their lore, but Iam talking about the original lore)

But yeah as I said, its very rare to factions to fight together

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

• tapeworm00tapeworm00 Member Posts: 549

Originally posted by Ichmen

FPS games generally require the 1 vs 1 system ... it makes it convoluted to have 1 v 1 v 1 v 1 v 1 ect.. as its been said if you make every race playable and make it a FFA there will be no content and the player pop will be stretched all over the place. 

one server may have 90% chaos players another mostly marine or gaurd or alien.. 

the 2 factions work fairly well in a FPS format, as you a have a Red vs Blue game system. while 40k fluff clearly makes that retarded to do... as a game it would work. but time will tell, there is no point harping the game saying its already dead when its not even playable to a mass group yet. if it fails its not because of 2 factions. its because the gameplay it self sucks.

but as long as the maps are like battlefield (aka HUGE) and not shit like those combat arms maps (wtf is that crap) game shouldnt be overly horrible. 

but then again i would be more interested in fluff correctness instead of black legion teaming with ultra marines or something...

It's a bit late to say that you should give Planetside a go, but if you look it up or ask around you'll see how people (including me) loved the three faction combat. This isn't to say more factions would work, but it's pretty safe to say that three factions do. Nevertheless, it seems like the main inspiration source for this game is not an MMOFPS, but the better represented MMORPG genre. Whether that's WoW or DAoC or UO is up to the devs, and we can only hope they get the mix right. In this sense I don't think you'll have to worry about 'maps', because the RPG way of doing these things requires enormous spaces with as little loading times as possible, so there. 

I agree that turning around with Games Workshop and working their lore however they see fit and not how we as fans perceive it is a bit reckless, but GW has done that for the last couple decades and there's been no shortage of players yet, so they're getting it right at least in a way. I guess that for now we can only hope they do the lore justice and make a great game at the same time.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Unless the factions are Humans vs everyone else it just wont work and it wont be 40k it will just be an MMO that looks warhammerish.

If its Humans vs everyone else... well I could see that working but even if they were up against the combined Chaos, Ork, and Tyranid armies and vastly out numbered, a true space marine would not accept help from an Eldar or one of those bird people (I forget the name).

Beware the Alien, the mutant, the heretic. 

Originally posted by Kothoses a true space marine would not accept help from an Eldar

Ya, they would, if it meant not getting whiped out, why people seem to think 40k races are morons and wont side with someone they hate to save there own skins is beyond me.

not to mention in the big events its seperated into order and destruction, heck in apocalypse you can even make a multirace army.

kinda throws your whole real amrines would never ally with eldar point right out teh window.

• UnicornicusUnicornicus Member Posts: 235

I have posted this link along with countless other facts about the history of the IP that people refuse to ackowledge as truth. Dont bother,  some people tend to ignore the flat truth when they dont like it.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by Kothoses a true space marine would not accept help from an Eldar

Ya, they would, if it meant not getting whiped out, why people seem to think 40k races are morons and wont side with someone they hate to save there own skins is beyond me.

not to mention in the big events its seperated into order and destruction, heck in apocalypse you can even make a multirace army.

kinda throws your whole real amrines would never ally with eldar point right out teh window.

Not at all... take the Space Marines on the very list you linked... they hate EVERY xenos race... Yes once in a VERY, VERY great while have they sided... however a game with Space Marines, Sisters, IG, the Mechanicus and say the Tau as the "good" side would be considered heresy to any true 40k fan...

IMO they need to have those Imperial factions I listed on one side... against everyone else, as that and only that scenario would be appropriate.

err...fail?

Eldar is hated with space marines in the very link you posted =P

Just pointing this out

But ofc it was already done before...actually I was surprised with the "hated" I would say it is more about complete distrust in eachother...not including the deathwatch nor ordo xenos of course

"It has potential"
    "It sucks"

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

Originally posted by Zarynterk

Not at all... take the Space Marines on the very list you linked... they hate EVERY xenos race... Yes once in a VERY, VERY great while have they sided... however a game with Space Marines, Sisters, IG, the Mechanicus and say the Tau as the "good" side would be considered heresy to any true 40k fan...

IMO they need to have those Imperial factions I listed on one side... against everyone else, as that and only that scenario would be appropriate.

^QFT. spacemarines generally (fluff wise) refuse to even accept help from imperial gaurd let alone non-imperials. as its viewed as a weakness in the chapter as well as boarderline heritic actions....

just because the odd black libary book has spacemarines teaming up with eldar for a mission, does not mean they team up every day of the week. the story of DoW, you can clearly see the distrust the marines/gaurd/eldar share for one another. while gaurd gladly team up with marines and visa versa.. the claim that marines would happily ally with chaos is retarded.. just like guard would not openly ally with xeno forces or chaos (to do so is heratical).. but like i said, the fluff the 2 side factions goes against all fluff in the codexes and stories for the mass majority. game wise, it helps balance the gameplay and such out. 

frankly i like the fluff but i enjoy gameplay.. i dont mind play dow as marine and being allied to 2 chaos armies as its just a game. much like ill ally with nids or necrons or something on the table top in a 3 v 3 or turny match up.. as it just adds to the game play.

if they make DMO without taking in to account any lore or fluff... im sorry the game is not MY game and i wont touch it... but if they actually make it fluffy and lory while keeping the blanace and game play then ya it could be a quality game.

BUT lets just wait and see how they play it out.. i just know having races ally that generally hate each other and distrust each other ... really doesnt make sense in a fluff standpoint... (eldar allied with dark eldar is like a 100% pure beef veggie burger... it just doesnt work)

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316

Well, there goes any hope of good OW PvP.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

How they implement the lore and who can ally with who does not worry me... as much as:

WHO CAN KILL WHO?!!

That^ is the great tragedy for this game imo. I want to see every faction spill the blood of every other hated xenos... or postpone such until the current tentative alliance soon expires. This is the real problem with their 2 Faction system, as I see it currently in the design (as well as no deeply satisfactory explanation from the devs as to this presumed choice, which is kinda almost as annoying of itself even).

• UnicornicusUnicornicus Member Posts: 235

They can do exactly this if they allow for mechanics that temporarily break the bitter allaince between allied factions and open up a state of PVP for a limted time or in a restricted area. I dont think it would be difficult to implement at all and I have already theorized earlier in this thread in a little more detail as to how that might be achieved.

• YamaedaYamaeda Member Posts: 22

Allies Matrix - I like how Dark Eldars distrust one another. :)

The thought of Eldar merchants and quarter in a IG or SM city is just ... *shivers*
    Same as Necrons, Chaos and Tyranids happily scurrying about in Dark Eldar citadel.

/Y

err...fail?

Eldar is hated with space marines in the very link you posted =P

Just pointing this out

How is it fail? it further proves my point, they are hated yet they still work together, proving my point even more.

Then theres the fact that in 2e, they could work ally in teh same army, and the same thing with the newest edition.

Only fail here is the people acting like races cant work together, when they clearly do.

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414

Please dont necro threads.

Thank you.

To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.