Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contrarily, games you bought with good reviews that were awful?

thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

What I said in the title.  Mine would be some of the highest ranking games on here, Rift for example, or Oblivion.

Chins

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Spore, Resident Evil 5, and Darksiders.

P.S. I love Oblivion =p

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

spore

• thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

its like you took the words out of my mouth- Spore was dull, Resident Evil 5, I got a phonecall after 5 minutes, died and never went back. It had the two kind of characters I hate, the overly-macho guy who is so far in the closet he must sleep with Aslan, and the blow-up doll woman. 

Chins

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

DA:O and ME2

• RevivialRevivial Member Posts: 194

Plants Vs Zombies

So many awesome Indie games, and this one seemed to get so much praise...

"I swear -- by my life and my love for it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    - John Galt

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Oblivion. Civ 5 was pretty disappointing as well.

• OilcanharryOilcanharry Member Posts: 73

I always wonder if paying advertisement dollars really does influence reviewers. I have to say that I have seen gamespot trash some games in reviews even while their ads are plastered all over their site.

Man Of Constant Sorrow

Originally posted by Oilcanharry

I always wonder if paying advertisement dollars really does influence reviewers. I have to say that I have seen gamespot trash some games in reviews even while their ads are plastered all over their site.

Good publications can separate advertisement from criticism. It's generally completely different people who handle those two departments, I suspect. Besides Gamespot, PCGamer and IGN are my favorites.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Blink, awful game, but a fortune spent on advertising- like a mug a bought it.

Chins

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Red Dead Redemption. Couldn't stand that game. Thankfully i got such a good deal on it, resold it and only lost like $5. Wasn't a big fan of Dragon Age origins either.

I loved the second DA tho

Chins

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Dragon Age II. It got good reviews but I thought it was crap. Don't even care about finishing it now.

So you miss the part where the Archmage gets trampled by a herd of rampant wildebeast?  Your missing out.

Chins

Whoever mentioned Spore before, that was really massively massively over hyped.  So dull and ultimately pointless.  And Civilisation 5, exactly the same as 4 but with very slightly enhanced graphics.

Chins

Originally posted by thebigchin11

Whoever mentioned Spore before, that was realy massively massively over hyped.  So dull and ultimately pointless.  And Civilisation 5, exactly the same as 4 but with very slightly enhanced graphics.

I enjoyed Civ 5, but it was much more shallow than any of its predecessors, in my opinion.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

GW1, WOW, with GW1 thought PVP was fun but other than that, bleh.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

GW1, I know its an opinion, but there is such a thing as a wrong opinion ;)

Chins

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

There's an interesting article on metacritic about games that scored high with critics but low with users, and vice-versa.

Here

It kind of makes you wonder which games had a little 'extra' marketing money go to 'marketing' toward reviewers.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Oblivion is by far >GW1 IMO of course :P/

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

life would be dull if none of us had them.

Chins

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Not really ;)

wasn't entirely serious Jimmy.

Chins

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Dungeon Siege 3 by far the worst game I have played in some time. It got mixed reviews and it doesn't even come close to resembling a DS game.  I'll never buy  another Obsidian developed game.

Thanks, I came close to buying it, won't now.

Chins

• ApegApeg Member Posts: 91

Rift, although I didn't buy it because of the high score but due to a discount offer.