Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MASS EXODUS! Goodbye EVE!

Comments

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Originally posted by xpowderx

Originally posted by tinuelle

Originally posted by Sraik

Originally posted by luro16

Instead of making an item shop, they should try to make Eve Online fun to play.

This.

Unsubbed X2  and now playing Perp.  For me it was not about NeX.  It was a combination of CCP's tendancy to blow off fixing existing game content to chase some new "sparkly" and what appears to be a shift in where they are taking the game; less interest in long-term playerbase, more interest in rotation of new accounts.

Perpetuum is just a small indie game, it will eventuelly die out. The developers are desperate for income as most of its players have left the game. Played perpetuum, and it has its own challenges.

Perpetuum does have its challenges. Its new and is doing very well. Its much more fun than EVE. Dont have to travel 26 way points and 90 minutes later to get somewhere. Crafting in perp is much more fun and competitive compared to EVE. As well as the combat. Eve is dying.. Why many of us have left for Perp.

I expect some of you still to play EVE. But the opportunity is less in EVE than what it once was. There is a reason Perp is now higher rated by players  than EVE. How did that happen hmmm?

Also, EVE was once a small indie game. 2004 it had less than 10k subs after its first year. Then CCP did some things right. Listening to its players was one of them. Something that EVE has forgot. regardless of its player based delegates.

Now CCP is following the same route as SOE!

I'd say the main reason would be the number of people voting.

It's easier to effect the outcome of a rating when you only have 284 votes vs. 7295 votes.

Edit:  MMORPG.com hasn't even bothered to rate your game - that says it all doesn't it?

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Delete me, I got click happy and posted by accident.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Originally posted by Xhieron

To be fair, yes, there's a little hyperbole here--indeed, Eve Online isn't going the way of the dodo any time soon, and many players will feel no impact whatsoever with respect to people who've quit.

That said, if 5% of the active subscribers quit, that's massive enough by MMO standards.  That's the kind of attrition you don't expect in a year unless the game is already in long-term decline.  I'm not suggesting that the number of people who have left are 5%, 40%, or 1%, because frankly there just isn't enough reliable data with respect to the number of paying subs.  --people online, sure, but not subs.  If ever there was a game that gave you an incentive to pay even though you don't currently play it, Eve is that game.  So financially I couldn't predict whether the exodus, however you categorize it, will have a meaningful impact on CCP on a policy level.

uh, hate to break it to you, but I believe its been said that the average lifespan of an MMO account is around 6 months, that means most companies expect almost 10% of active subscribers to quit each month which they hope to replace at the same time with new accounts. So the real question isn't how many are leaving but the ratio of those leaving to those coming in.

• DthRevanDthRevan Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by xpowderx

Originally posted by tinuelle

Originally posted by Sraik

Originally posted by luro16

Instead of making an item shop, they should try to make Eve Online fun to play.

This.

Unsubbed X2  and now playing Perp.  For me it was not about NeX.  It was a combination of CCP's tendancy to blow off fixing existing game content to chase some new "sparkly" and what appears to be a shift in where they are taking the game; less interest in long-term playerbase, more interest in rotation of new accounts.

Perpetuum is just a small indie game, it will eventuelly die out. The developers are desperate for income as most of its players have left the game. Played perpetuum, and it has its own challenges.

Perpetuum does have its challenges. Its new and is doing very well. Its much more fun than EVE. Dont have to travel 26 way points and 90 minutes later to get somewhere. Crafting in perp is much more fun and competitive compared to EVE. As well as the combat. Eve is dying.. Why many of us have left for Perp.

I expect some of you still to play EVE. But the opportunity is less in EVE than what it once was. There is a reason Perp is now higher rated by players  than EVE. How did that happen hmmm?

Also, EVE was once a small indie game. 2004 it had less than 10k subs after its first year. Then CCP did some things right. Listening to its players was one of them. Something that EVE has forgot. regardless of its player based delegates.

Now CCP is following the same route as SOE!

I don't understand why you are complaining about this shitty game anyway.

Hopefully this move from the devs will kill this game off permanently.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

The Null system I'm in has seen at least a 75% drop in traffic. It’s was strong during the tournament, then as soon as Incarna hit……Dead.

Having said that, that’s normal for July and August, then player’s return as school starts back up and summer vacations end.

TBH I can’t see any way to tell if Incarna has had an effect until at least October.

Still, we aren’t talking about player increases that’s for sure.

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

Originally posted by Nicoli

To be fair, yes, there's a little hyperbole here--indeed, Eve Online isn't going the way of the dodo any time soon, and many players will feel no impact whatsoever with respect to people who've quit.

That said, if 5% of the active subscribers quit, that's massive enough by MMO standards.  That's the kind of attrition you don't expect in a year unless the game is already in long-term decline.  I'm not suggesting that the number of people who have left are 5%, 40%, or 1%, because frankly there just isn't enough reliable data with respect to the number of paying subs.  --people online, sure, but not subs.  If ever there was a game that gave you an incentive to pay even though you don't currently play it, Eve is that game.  So financially I couldn't predict whether the exodus, however you categorize it, will have a meaningful impact on CCP on a policy level.

uh, hate to break it to you, but I believe its been said that the average lifespan of an MMO account is around 6 months, that means most companies expect almost 10% of active subscribers to quit each month which they hope to replace at the same time with new accounts. So the real question isn't how many are leaving but the ratio of those leaving to those coming in.

Attrition != cancellations

Shouldn't have to spell it out.  I hope no one really wants to argue that everyone who left Eve is a person who would have unsubscribed in six months and not returned in the normal course of business.

Peace and safety.

• AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236

Curious, has the number of users logged in gone down at all?

Originally posted by Alioth

Curious, has the number of users logged in gone down at all?

A little bit, but it's summer, and numbers usually drop in the summer.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

So they want to add an ingame shop with no game breaking items. Why do people have to overreact

Originally posted by Frostbite05

So they want to add an ingame shop with no game breaking items. Why do people have to overreact

Hi, I also like to read very little about a topic and then make erroneous observations based on what little I know - maybe we can be friends?

• DrakolusDrakolus Member UncommonPosts: 134

This'll probably only make sense to those who have played (and probably only be funny to those who have left) but I figured it was worth it.  I got a good chuckle out of it at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hivuFa3hH4

They set a trap indeed :).

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Frostbite05

Because people's natural inclination is to complain. About anything. They even like to complain about things that haven't happened yet. Even if there are no current plans to implement those things. Even if, down the line from a business standpoint, those things might be necessary to keep the game alive in a changing industry environment.

People also like to proclaim "The game is dying" after they unsub. Of course the game isn't dying, but it makes them feel better to believe so.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Originally posted by Nicoli

Attrition != cancellations

Shouldn't have to spell it out.  I hope no one really wants to argue that everyone who left Eve is a person who would have unsubscribed in six months and not returned in the normal course of business.

No I'm saying that for it to be a massive loss for an MMO its going to be well over the 10% mark. Something that we just haven't seen. If numbers were consistantly now sub 40k at peak times maybe I could see a reason to say there was a massive loss but the reality is it just hasn't been there. This was the initail kicker for Incarna so while its good to have we really haven't seen the true influx of people in once the door unlocks to the station, my guess with the winter expansion. So if the game is trending where it has been for last year it proves really nothing. This was really a kind of "meh" expansion. The expansion that had to happen but wasn't really going to excite anyone new too heavily.

• SlysarSlysar Member UncommonPosts: 18

Here's how bad it is, I went back to WoW...

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by Slysar

Not sure what you mean by "bad". I've been logged in every day for the past week and everything is going just fine. Lots of others are on too. Enjoy WoW!

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Who are you?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• Ghost021Ghost021 Member Posts: 84

You realise that going back to WoW isn't exactly something worth of notice... and again changing from what ( remains ) a better game to a meh game.. well its regression.

• ZoobiZoobi Member UncommonPosts: 115

Dont mind these others, I laughed :)

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

How's is this thread even still going.. it seems the core issues have been resolved.

At least until some new developments occur.

• ZoobiZoobi Member UncommonPosts: 115

Originally posted by jado818

How's is this thread even still going.. it seems the core issues have been resolved.

At least until some new developments occur.

I think you just answered your own question. A wonderful thing to see an intelligence in action hehe

Originally posted by Orphes

Who are you?

Some dude that just started playing eve online last month and probabvly quit because for the usual reasons unrelated to the recent drama.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Mass Exodus indeed.. how can we miss you, if you won't go away..  Exodus does mean to leave after all,  SWG's NGE caused a mass exodus, players leaving left and right.. but.. Eves exodus seems to be a bit thin on numbers, as most of them seem to be still playing.... obviously their just getting their money's worth by playing out their subscriptions right image

.... yeah i believe that... .. image

• DorfiDorfi Member Posts: 1

you buy the game and you pay per month yet you still dont get the full features of the game, can you not see how fucked that is? Imagine if they had of made this vanity RMT craftable in the game so players would have to interact and gather resources to make them it could of created a whole new industry in the game, even if you didnt care about that industry there would of been people who did which would create more content and interaction for what you did care about in eve. But no ccp decided to sacrifice their game for greed, I for one will never play it again as long as there is RMT and it's pay to play

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's try to avoid personal arguments.

• Its been a few weeks since my friends & I quit. I met up with them after work today & the topic of eve didnt even come up. Goes to show how little impact this game actually had. I would recommend that anyone having second thoughts, do something about it, you wont regret it.

Just felt like rubbing that in, after all it cost us $15 /mnth for how long? lol no game is worth 150 a year.