Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was really looking forward to this

AsellusAsellus Member UncommonPosts: 11

Then I found out it's point-and-click...

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?  T ^T

And even knowing that, I'll STILL play it, that's a game for you.

I've grown tired of p&c games,

it just kills "realism" for me imho.

What about you lot?

Do you mind in the slightest ? or perhaps you prefer p&c-s ?

Do you think there is any future in dynamic combat mmorpgs?

Discuss!

Comments

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323

As long as I can still move around with WSAD I'm fine.

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113

Well, I guess that means you can't jump. Which puts it sorta in the same ship as Guild Wars to me. I don't say, hate point and click, hell, I can even be glued to the ground, so long as the world is big enough that I don't feel limited in exploration.

One thing I do not like about point and click though, is the fact that if you can't walk through enemies/other players, you have to try to walk around them, or find somewhere to click, and you end up clicking on them like eight times before you actually click on the ground, and when in combat you cant really be bothered with rotating your camera.

I'll still play it.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by Asellus

What about you lot?

Discuss!

You sure it's point and click? It never looked like that in all the videos I saw.

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

Point and click is an option but there are standard movement controls and also jump, so in this regard it is like RoM.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AsellusAsellus Member UncommonPosts: 11

Agreed

If the world is big enough, it won't be that big of an issue.

It'd be a shame to not make use of newer technology though.

I think this game could do well with a dynamic system.

Especially with bows and crossbows, this would so much more fun.

Problem with dynamic combat that I've seen is that it often make servers fairly unstable, but meh.

If they were to suddenly go for a more "realistic" approach, I wouldn't complain =P

Joarnaj: I was thinking more in terms of combat,

although that would make point & click movement sorta akward I guess..

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

One post from the OP total, saying a popular upcoming title is point and click. Hmmm...

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by NIII

Well, I guess that means you can't jump. Which puts it sorta in the same ship as Guild Wars to me. I don't say, hate point and click, hell, I can even be glued to the ground, so long as the world is big enough that I don't feel limited in exploration.

You can jump, in fact. But according to a CB3 review it is indeed point and click.

• tshack88tshack88 Member Posts: 48

You can jump, swim, climb in the game.  Go watch some videos before jumping to conclusions like that.

• HachiroHachiro Member Posts: 92

Originally posted by tshack88
    You can jump, swim, climb in the game.  Go watch some videos before jumping to conclusions like that.

OP never said anything about jumping, swimming and climbing...his main complaint is that it is point and lick.

Heso o kamedomo oyobanu -- Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

@tshack88:            ^

|

|

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

you can customize your movement and ui to be whatever you're used to.

• Crim21Crim21 Member UncommonPosts: 11

I just want to clarify since many replies misunderstood the OP.

point and click- refers to the targeting and combat system where you point your cursor at an enemy and click to target it.

this is what many of the replies are thinking of.

click to move- refers to clicking somewhere on the ground and your character moves to that spot. While AA does have click to move it is secondary to the wasd controls we are used to. Even wow has a click to move option.

while i would love to try AA with a fps targeting system like tera, I would perfer it use a proven system(point and click). There are only 2 mmos that i can think of that are using the fps aim system, one is TERA which isnt out yet and the other is an old game that i used to play called ryl.

Originally posted by Crim21

point and click- refers to the targeting and combat system where you point your cursor at an enemy and click to target it.

click to move- refers to clicking somewhere on the ground and your character moves to that spot. While AA does have click to move it is secondary to the wasd controls we are used to. Even wow has a click to move option.

while i would love to try AA with a fps targeting system like tera, I would perfer it use a proven system(point and click). There are only 2 mmos that i can think of that are using the fps aim system, one is TERA which isnt out yet and the other is an old game that i used to play called ryl.

Thanks for the input,

I should have been a little clearer =]

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It really depends on the game. Some games just wouldn't work with point and click, but other games work very well with it. There's a game called Neo Steam which uses point and click and it works great.

With ArcheAge, considering all the non-combat activities that they seem to have lined up, it might work just fine.

** edit **
    I misunderstood the OP - I was thinking click to move, not click to attack. Click to attack is even trickier to get right than click to move. I would honestly prefer the option of both tab targeting and click to attack, not one or the other.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

It really depends on the game. Some games just wouldn't work with point and click, but other games work very well with it. There's a game called Neo Steam which uses point and click and it works great.

With ArcheAge, considering all the non-combat activities that they seem to have lined up, it might work just fine.

** edit **

I misunderstood the OP - I was thinking click to move, not click to attack. Click to attack is even trickier to get right than click to move. I would honestly prefer the option of both tab targeting and click to attack, not one or the other.

Having both tab-targeting and click-to attack/joystick would be awesome,

and I think it would help reel in a lot of  curious-but-uncertain people.

I know that many mmorpgs have strayed away from fps-style combat like the plague,

mainly because it's harder to implement, and there is not a huge market for it.

Still I think it would be awesome if they took the risk, and failed,

rather than abandoning a possibly epic feature.

Oh well..

As technology is in rapid growth,

I guess more and more companies will be eager to try new stuff .

• CrzyeyesCrzyeyes Member Posts: 17

I think I'd be a little more comfortable with it if it was the traditional 3rd person mouse for camera + AWSD combo that works in so many games without the point-and-click combat.

Might work well for the game, though. Guess we'll see.

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200

Age of Conan and Dungeons & Dragons are the only two games that have added in a tab targeting system correctly by removing auto-attack, but using 3rd person shooter over FPS, they still have targeting in the games, but you gotta use your mouse to swing your sword blows or like in Age of Conan you use keystrokes.. My whole beef with FPS/Third Person Shooter such as in Fallen Earth, Darkfall and Mortal Online and many other games is that you use the same keystroke for ANYTHING you do and you have to go in and out of combat by using this same keystroke as well and it "pauses your character" so anything you do such as looting, going into your inventory, shopping, requires a keystroke which pauses your character so you can bring your cursor, it can be annoying sometimes, but it is a system one gets use to.. The downside to DDO is that you can't manually block or dodge attacks, however, you are able to manually use your weapons on an enemy which makes it more immersive and fun, Age of Conan is the same way, a combat system I greatly enjoy, I can just swing at anything I want to at any time, in mid-air, I guess you can say Age of Conan cheated with their RTS combat system.. If WoW for example got rid of auto-attack and made it so you had to use keystrokes to use weapons, spells, etc, it would work for WoW or any other game for that matter without having to worry too much about technical issues..

• KatodyKatody Member Posts: 30

So no Tab targeting? I thought ArcheAge was like the "Ultimate New MMO 2011/2010"!!

I really hope you can customize the key mapping and UI to our liking.... I'm so picky.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Originally posted by Katody

So no Tab targeting? I thought ArcheAge was like the "Ultimate New MMO 2011/2010"!!

I really hope you can customize the key mapping and UI to our liking.... I'm so picky.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I think point and click is the same thing as a tab targeting system.

And while I would much prefer a tera/darkfall/mortal online/warband type combat system, I'm willing to put up with this because there doin enough other unique things in game that it makes up for it.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Originally posted by jadedlevir

Originally posted by Katody

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I think point and click is the same thing as a tab targeting system.

And while I would much prefer a tera/darkfall/mortal online/warband type combat system, I'm willing to put up with this because there doin enough other unique things in game that it makes up for it.

Usually in the MMO world "point and click" refers to the way you move around. For instance in L2 you point and click on the ground where you want your character to go and they run to that point you clicked on. If you're talking about targeting most people refer to it as tab targeting. Even though yes you can point and click on the enemies when you say "point and click" most people are talking about movement.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

What about you lot?

Discuss!

point and click is an option.

you can also use WASD and bunnyhop around with spacebar

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

What about you lot?

Discuss!

Whats with this whole "realism" schtick in the video gaming industry that made worthless stuff like call of dudes popular?

I play a game because I want fun. Most of rpg games equal fun and immersion to me. If I wanted realism I would go take a walk in the street.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

Can you honestly say you wouldn't like to see a well-done mmo with a console-type battle system?

I mean- I loved Ragnarok online, and that had point and click combat- and rightfully so it worked it's purpose.

But  there is a scarce selection of mmos that feature "elderscrolls"-type combat.

Nearly all of them are side-scrollers, and I can list most of them off the top of my head:

Maplestory-LaTale-Ghost-Dragonica-GunZ-Rakion-S4League-RYL-GhostX, and perhaps...five others

I'm not saying it's a must-have for this game,

but I think it would boost people's experience of the game.

Each to his own I suppose.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by Crim21

Ah, I was confused. Point and click to me, and the term itself, has never meant the targetting system. Point and click has always meant the movement system in a game and had nothing to do with the ui/targetting or whatever. Don't know when it changed that people have to have them separated into different categories (point and click/click to move) to know what is being talked about.