Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daniel Erickson: Closed beta maybe, No open Beta!

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Elikal

{mod edit}

Who is this and what did you do with the real Elikal?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by parrotpholk

We agree on the long term approach.  I am actually all for the end of open betas due to the fact that beta does not  mean the same thing as it did in say the EQ days or even WOW  beta days.  

I wholeheartedly agree.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

{mod edit}

Ok, what have you done with Elikal!

as far as open beta tests I agree with bioware's stance. People just need to wait for the reviews or wait until the company gives a trial.

Open Beta has become a joke.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Creslin321

Hmmm...no open beta could be concerning.  A developer offering an earlyish open beta has basically become a signal of confidence in their product.  Showing they don't have anything to hide, getting a lot of exposure etc.

On the other hand, EA/BW may just feel that they have nothing to gain from an open beta.  If the hype is sufficient enough then they may think that an open beta may cost them more than it could gain them in sales.

So basically I think the two possibilities are:

1.  EA/BW has something to hide, and they don't want to offer an open beta because they are afraid is will generate negative word-of-mouth.  Of course, if they lower the NDA I think this could assuage this concern.

2.  EA/BW just doesn't feel that an open beta will gain them anything.  Could be possible, the game already has tons of hype and basically guaranteed buyers.  It's not like they need an open beta for more exposure.

I agree with #2.

Bioware isn't having a beta, but inviting "game-play testers" for summary experience feedback, not to help with bugs and ironing out game-play code, etc.

I think in this case with such a story-heavy game-play architect of SW:TOR, I'd rather not have an advance invite to game-play feedback this title, running through the first quarter of the story, perhaps.

I am not endorsing SW:TOR as a long-term investment, because I know nothing of the end-game but have nightmares that it will be exactly like the mundaness of WoW and Rift, but it's the enjoyment of teh Journey I want to preserve for now.

I think most mmorpg enthusiasts will purchase SW:TOR and many single-player RPG enthusiasts, so I dont really think that Bioware would believe that having an open beta (of sorts) would help them out much.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Hmmm...no open beta could be concerning.  A developer offering an earlyish open beta has basically become a signal of confidence in their product.  Showing they don't have anything to hide, getting a lot of exposure etc.

On the other hand, EA/BW may just feel that they have nothing to gain from an open beta.  If the hype is sufficient enough then they may think that an open beta may cost them more than it could gain them in sales.

1.  EA/BW has something to hide, and they don't want to offer an open beta because they are afraid is will generate negative word-of-mouth.  Of course, if they lower the NDA I think this could assuage this concern.

2.  EA/BW just doesn't feel that an open beta will gain them anything.  Could be possible, the game already has tons of hype and basically guaranteed buyers.  It's not like they need an open beta for more exposure.

I agree with #2.

Bioware isn't having a beta, but inviting "game-play testers" for summary experience feedback, not to help with bugs and ironing out game-play code, etc.

I think in this case with such a story-heavy game-play architect of SW:TOR, I'd rather not have an advance invite to game-play feedback this title, running through the first quarter of the story, perhaps.

I am not endorsing SW:TOR as a long-term investment, because I know nothing of the end-game but have nightmares that it will be exactly like the mundaness of WoW and Rift, but it's the enjoyment of teh Journey I want to preserve for now.

I think most mmorpg enthusiasts will purchase SW:TOR and many single-player RPG enthusiasts, so I dont really think that Bioware would believe that having an open beta (of sorts) would help them out much.

I'm not sure I agree with #1. But #2 is dead wrong.

If you spend 150million on a game then you need it to be a big success. And as had been pointed out endlessly on these boards, "open beta" is more a marketing tool than any real beta test. Its the last big marketing push before launch. With so much at stake, not doing an open beta is just odd.

• Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by spookytooth

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

I agree with #2.

If you spend 150million on a game then you need it to be a big success. And as had been pointed out endlessly on these boards, "open beta" is more a marketing tool than any real beta test. Its the last big marketing push before launch. With so much at stake, not doing an open beta is just odd.

Pretty sure that the cost was more around 100mil, not 150. There is a multitude of reasons to not do an open beta. They already have more then enough testers signed up so they can stress test if they really need to. There is also the story reason, why should hundreds of thousands of people ruin the story for themselves in open beta? Thats just a joke. There is absolutely no reason to have an open beta. The opinions of almost everyone who has played the game has already said it was polished and extremely playable. MMO.Maverick has 1 or 2 threads on that I believe.

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

Did you just say TOR needs more marketing, maybe I'm mistaking your meaning, but it sounds an awful lot like you did?

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Malickie

Did you just say TOR needs more marketing, maybe I'm mistaking your meaning, but it sounds an awful lot like you did?

Of course it does. Becuse a new large budget MMO made by a well known company like bioware, based on a multigenrational beloved Sci Fi IP that is famous world wide, needs all the help it can get.

(yes that was sarcasm)

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

you heard me right yes.

unless you think the folks at EA/Bioware are sitting back with satisfaction, nodding to eachother saying "oh yeah, we've done enough". Like I said, 150mil is a big gamble. Only a fool would declare victory several months before the game has even launched. But I know its very fashionable in some circles to believe that everyone is already going to buy the game just because its starwars and its bioware.

Does it need more marketing? It needs everything it can get.

you heard me right yes.

unless you think the folks at EA/Bioware are sitting back with satisfaction, nodding to eachother saying "oh yeah, we've done enough". Like I said, 150mil is a big gamble. Only a fool would declare victory several months before the game has even launched. But I know its very fashionable in some circles to believe that everyone is already going to buy the game just because its starwars and its bioware.

According to you it would seem that's exactly what they're doing, I mean they're not planning for an open beta afterall...

Originally posted by Tardcore

Of course it does. Becuse a new large budget MMO made by a well known company like bioware, based on a multigenrational beloved Sci Fi IP that is famous world wide, needs all the help it can get.

(yes that was sarcasm)

just out of morbid curosity...

if you were the head honcho at EA, and marketing approached about doing TV adds for the game - you would shoot down the idea? Because being bioware and starwars is all you need....

I can assure you, as bizzare as I may sound to you, you sound equally bizarre to me =)

you heard me right yes.

According to you it would seem that's exactly what they're doing, I mean they're not planning for an open beta afterall...

thats more of an evasion than a response. But alright, I'll take it.

image cheers yall

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Old news, and not unexpected, they don't need an open beta and they'll still sell over a million copies at the start.

From early play testers we've heard a number of negative complaints, lack of originality, or graphics issues or what have you, but really haven't heard one issue with the level of polish.  Seems like what areas they chose to let people see work well for the most part.

I'm not concerned, I'd still buy it at launch without an open beta. (though I still might not buy it for several other reasons)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

thats more of an evasion than a response. But alright, I'll take it.

image cheers yall

Maybe so, but I never said they won't market the product more, I just don't think an OB is a needed step to take in that. They've said when launch is coming we'll hear about it loud and clear, which says to me advertising will pick up 150%.

• NifaNifa Member Posts: 324

Originally posted by Isane

Originally posted by taus01

Must be some very good reason, although i can only think of one. It's not as polished/finished as they make us beleive.

That's it for me, not going to buy this game for 60 bucks without a free sneak peek. Going to wait until it gets cheaper or there are free 14 day trials.

15:45 ~ end

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/8053/GRTV:+Star+Wars:+The+Old+Republic/

Well I for one think of this differently , it is an immediate buy now.

No open Beta is a massive plus

I agree with Isane.

Massive kudos to Bioware for reminding the industry and players what the purpose of testing actually is (hint: it's not a marketing tool).

Firebrand Art

"You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Tardcore

(yes that was sarcasm)

just out of morbid curosity...

if you were the head honcho at EA, and marketing approached about doing TV adds for the game - you would shoot down the idea? Because being bioware and starwars is all you need....

I can assure you, as bizzare as I may sound to you, you sound equally bizarre to me =)

Actually I would. Televison advertisements are going to primarily reach people who are not fans of MMOs, know nothing of MMOs, and care nothing for MMOs. Plus are exhorbitantly expensive. So would prove to be a complete and total waste fo time and resources vs general consumer interest spawned.

I would instead focus on the "plugged in" community of the interweb and rely on them to spread the news to those outside via way of mouth. Much much more effective, much cheaper, and there is already large network of web communities that will happily spread your advertizing propaganda for free.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Hero_AlphaHero_Alpha Member UncommonPosts: 60

Also playing the game with the way the story is set up kinda ruins it. It would be best to start fresh and not play throu and have to have ur char deleted and re-created to do the same story. Although u can just play Jedi if at launch u plan on playing Agent persay. They can get the testing/bugs straight with a smaller group since open betas are basically free previews as a few people have said.

playing:DCUO,GW2,WoW
    played:SWG,LotRO,CoH,GW,FF14,ESO,AlbionOnline

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

{mod edit}

{mod edit} No offense mate, but for a long time I noticed hate posts from you on this game... Not trying to be insulting or name calling, just don't know how else to describe it.

{mod edit}

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

dont worry OP, i have RL friend who was in beta at november/december and it already was WAY better than FF14 at release, so after aproximately a year of work more, it willbe massively better, U wont get dissapointed same as so many people at FF14 launch :)

lets just wait for new info, as every time they show something new, its better and better :)

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Originally posted by Hekke29

dont worry OP, i have RL friend who was in beta at november/december and it already was WAY better than FF14 at release, so after aproximately a year of work more, it willbe massively better, U wont get dissapointed same as so many people at FF14 launch :)

lets just wait for new info, as every time they show something new, its better and better :)

To be WAY better than FF14 is not really saying much. ;)

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Hmm... I'd be more worried about lack of an open beta if BioWare were running their testing like every other company. They're not - there are no "keys" for beta, they are bringing people into testing soley out of those already registered on their site.

If I had 1.25 million (the last number quoted) signed up already, and some of them signed up to the site for 3 years, I wouldn't bother risking the ire of the community by going elsewhere looking for testers.

If I'm looking for testers, period, I'd be more interested in taking testers who have a proven interest in the game as opposed to (say) anyone with a fileplanet account. 

As far as Rfit goes, since people keep bringing it up - how high a profile did that game have before it started it's beta? Not very. The hype shot way up after the various contests for keys started and the profile of the game went up. By contrast, is there a MMO player out there who has not yet heard of SW:TOR? *listens to the sound of tumbleweeds* Thought so.

I'm more interested in the NDA dropping than an open beta tbh. That's really when we'll know there's nothing to "hide" (not that I think there is, but it's apparent some do).

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by Requiamer

There is an agreement between Lucas and Bioware, Lucas get a % of the box sale.

Think I must disagree a little. Bioware will get all of the Box sales. LucasArts will then get 30% of all Profits from subs. I wish I could remember the article I read about this but it was in some interview with an EA rep I think. Don't flame. just something I read somewhere. Sounds right to me from a business aspect as LucasArts is not a financial investor in the project. Bioware raised the money from investors on the strength of the IP and hope to recover their initial investment from the Box sales, also why it is a subscriber based Pay to buy - Pay to play. We may also see in game micro-transactions although that may come after launch and population stabilizes. Almost certainly cosmetic/vanity items only at first. Unknown after.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Hey guys, just a reminder that details and opinions regarding beta material is still under NDA. No "*wink* gets around that. You're allowed to say if you are in the beta test, but no more until it is dropped. Posts quoting and/or responding to anything under NDA may be edited or deleted.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

Open Beta's are for scrubs and/or up and comers. TOR/Bioware has complete confidence it will kick ass, so why bother? I know for a fact the internal testers are stressing the servers in closed as it is. 

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by D_TOX

Open Beta's are for scrubs and/or up and comers. TOR/Bioware has complete confidence it will kick ass, so why bother? I know for a fact the internal testers are stressing the servers in closed as it is. 

As is blatantly apparent some people just like to sample the games via 'demo' but they're also a great way to get yourself used to skill rotations, gear set up etc etc for PvP games if you haven't been lucky enough to get into closed. I've occasionally used them for that. Once upon a time i use to enter closed betas with great intentions of bug hunting, causing bugs etc but that eventually got overtaken by just playing the games -and spoiling them for myself when release appeared- so i stoppped taking part.

I'm one of those that will eventually try everything on a favourite restaurants menu just as i eventually try all MMO's whether it's open beta or buying them, usually by buying them. No open beta or no trial? Then it's a shame but it's not really a problem. There are really no MMO's out that I either haven't liked or have played until bored so i have no problem spending the £29.99 on the off chance I'll find another to keep me occupied. Some may call me a fool but i'd be no more of a fool than someone who spends more than that weekly or nightly trying to find false fun in Bars.