Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Overwolf: Keeping you Connected

Comments

• SgtFabulousSgtFabulous Member Posts: 42

Doesn't work on Age of Conan, dealbreaker for me

• DaemonSambeDaemonSambe Member UncommonPosts: 11

Seems nice for the moment. You really need to expand on the browser though. As the biggest draw for me, the lack of bookmarks, possible importing bookmarks from firefox/ie is disappointing. I would like to be able to use this, replacing my regular browser while gaming, so i can use fullscreen mode.

• DaemonSambeDaemonSambe Member UncommonPosts: 11

whelp. 2mins later i realize that trying to run LoTRo in fullscreen makes the app panel inaccessible. So i can't really find a use for it, if i can't really replace the need to window/alt-tab to firefox.

Will check back in a while for updates.

• DranthaarDranthaar Member UncommonPosts: 10

I also gave this program a try, and found the same problem with LOTRO as well as Champions Online.  I noticed the arrow seemed to react to the program, at least in Champions, you just couldn't see it, and if you clicked on the area where it reacted, it knocked you out of the game much like you had Alt-Tabbed.

Would definitely like it to work with both.

--Dranthaar

• overwolfoverwolf Member Posts: 51

Our gain is by contracts with partners such as game publishers.

You need not worry :-)

Originally posted by Falcomith

This has potential. But for now I cant get it to work with Age of Conan. I can see it on the desktop and works perfectly. Slides out from the side when your mouse is over it and slides back into the side leaving a little hump so you know where its at. Unfortunately, for now it doesnt do that in AoC unless I am in window mode.

We are working to add this game as we speak!

Games are being added all the time - so your game just might be there every day now. Don't give up!

Originally posted by Deivos

Same as Falco, I was testing it with DDO though.

Can see it on my desktop, but once in game I can't access it. without tabbing out of game or playing in window.

This game is supposed to be supported. Could you please use the Settings>Games>Tell Us About a Problem feature and write down your email and the issue so we'll figure this out asap?

Thank you!

Originally posted by vesavius

Must say though, it is lacking support for a ton of well known MMORPGs.... whiich is odd considering their obvious target audience.

Still, only beta I guess, they can be added.

Which games would you like to see on the list?

Originally posted by reguba

Question is: Can I develop my own widgets for it? This framework sounds like easy cannon fodder for opening up to third parties.

We're implementing this as we speak!

Soon this option will be available.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by Groovydutch

Originally posted by Coman

Originally posted by Groovydutch

Originally posted by Bunnyking

Actually there IS a reason.

I'm getting tired of all these 'social' and 'community' aps/programs/sites. It's no one's business but my own what I do on my computer and I don't want all my friends lurking about when I'm trying out some new game nor want to inform them that I'm about to take a dump or just making coffee.

This!

This app has a lot more to offer then telling your friends what you doing. Being able to use MSN, browse the internet and make ss and records videos (with you could directly upload) are good features with you could use without having to tell people on twitter or FB what your doing.

For those who like this fine hope you like it and enjoy it, hope its succes for overwolf.

But im anti FB or twitter or other social  apps and i realy dont want them ingame. I very fond of my privacy.

But i wish overwolf succes with this realy as long something is free to use not forced, im fine with this, its just not for me.

I don't like everything getting linked into FB or google+. 

FB and Twitter are just one of the many options in our software. You of course don't have to use them if you don't want to. Try out our other options!

Originally posted by Erzabeta

Cool program. But I quickly ran into a problem. A few of the games listed in the games supported section use Punkbuster. While playing COD Modern Warfare this evening Punkbuster kept booting me while running this program.

Hmm... We haven't experienced any issues in our testings. Is that CoD Modern Warfare the first ? 

Originally posted by xersent

Great Little program but i run into a problem too , when trying to run Runes of Magic , this would crash the client before you get to the login screen , i guess runes of magic thinks its some botting tool

Runes of Magic are one of our partners! 

This error really shouldn't happen and my guess is that it is probably something exterior. 

Could you use Settings>Games>Tell Us About a Problem so we could figure this out?

You could write down your email and the problem you just wrote here in the text box so we would know it's you.

Thanks!

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I can't get this thing to work on anything but my Windows 7 desktop

Is the game you're trying to play on our supported games list ? (Settings>Games)

Originally posted by SgtFabulous

Doesn't work on Age of Conan, dealbreaker for me

That's because these games are not supported by us yet. Go to Settings>Games to see our supported games list.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

all i see is that its just another intrusive application taking up cycles on my computer, there is also the data protection thing, how secure is your system/privacy when this thing is running, could the data be used to hack into whatever games your playing... it looks, really, like the perfect phishing tool.  there is also the issue of how they make their money..  if its not from advertising then what about this app makes them money... it can only be having access to your computer is in some way beneficial to them..  without knowing exactly what it is their doing, there is no way i would install this, or recommend it to anyone else.

Originally posted by DaemonSambe

Seems nice for the moment. You really need to expand on the browser though. As the biggest draw for me, the lack of bookmarks, possible importing bookmarks from firefox/ie is disappointing. I would like to be able to use this, replacing my regular browser while gaming, so i can use fullscreen mode.

Have you tried resizing the browser ?

We are working on adding bookmarks and importing them.

Thank you! 

Originally posted by DaemonSambe

whelp. 2mins later i realize that trying to run LoTRo in fullscreen makes the app panel inaccessible. So i can't really find a use for it, if i can't really replace the need to window/alt-tab to firefox.

Will check back in a while for updates.

I am assuming you are running LoTRo in DirectX 11. This is relatively new and we are continuously improving it. DirectX9 is working better at the moment. This will be fixed in the upcoming patches.

• SadSurferSadSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 67

Glad to hear it, this is one of the major reasons I do not use Raptr as I like the features and game trackihg but I don't want my IM statuses updated with what I am playing/doing -- how am I going to get away with a sneaky game at work if it is updating the status all the time ;)

SS

• Blaze007Blaze007 Member Posts: 188

Awesome! Yet another useless spying app. I especially like the "no more alt+tab" feature, that is really a crown achievement in software engineering.

Since now only casual care-bear pussies alt-tab to desktop, real overwolfs do not have to! That's why they are true underdogs!

But the real gem is the build-in browser that allows to spy on what I am interested in, where I shop, what I read, for how long and at what time. That is really a heavy cannon man... I remember my previous employer paying very heavy dough for the same kind of data for "customer profiling".

Overall totally crappy spying garbage offering no utility over what one already have. But on the other hand, if it were actually useful, then it wouldn't be "free".  And one could think that mmo players already know better then falling for "freebies" with the whole F2P scheme floating around, but hey! Fear not! Facebook managed to convince millions that they need an account with them or otherwise sky start falling, so I see bright future for this awesome app as well.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Uggh, like i need yet another program that saves me from glancing at the other monitor or even the oh so difficult task of pressing ALT+TAB.

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Vallador and Kabaal.  No one's making you use the program.  Some people find this kind of thing useful.

1. Not every game can be alt+tabbed out of.  It will either crash or severly lag your computer when you try to go back into it. 

2. Not every game can be run in windowed mode, making an addon like this desirable.

3. You get better performance running a game in full screen mode than windowed, even with an application like this running in the background.

Just because you dont have a use for it does not mean it's not useful.

I am not affiliated with Overwolf and I haven't even used / do not plan to use this program, but I have used Steam Overlay and find it very useful.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

Originally posted by Phry

all i see is that its just another intrusive application taking up cycles on my computer, there is also the data protection thing, how secure is your system/privacy when this thing is running, could the data be used to hack into whatever games your playing... it looks, really, like the perfect phishing tool.  there is also the issue of how they make their money..  if its not from advertising then what about this app makes them money... it can only be having access to your computer is in some way beneficial to them..  without knowing exactly what it is their doing, there is no way i would install this, or recommend it to anyone else.

Our money/gain is by teaming up with game publishers and signing contracts (providing in-game services). They have the interest of integrating us with their games so their users will have a better experience and increase play time because they do not need to leave the game. All this so you could have a better experience. 

Words might not convince you, but I hope you could rest assured that if sites you trust such as mmorpg have teamed up with us that would show genuine intentions signs to you :-)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by overwolf

Originally posted by Phry

Our money/gain is by teaming up with game publishers and signing contracts (providing in-game services). They have the interest of integrating us with their games so their users will have a better experience and increase play time because they do not need to leave the game. All this so you could have a better experience. 

Words might not convince you, but I hope you could rest assured that if sites you trust such as mmorpg have teamed up with us that would show genuine intentions signs to you :-)

It does.. im just one of those paranoid ones that watches what the left hand does when the right hand is dishing out things... occupational hazard image

• cshanorcshanor Member UncommonPosts: 64

It doesn't seem to work with Champions Online yet. You can see it on the side of ther screen, but it won't slide out, and it seems to hijack some of CO's hotkeys, like T for travel power.

Originally posted by cshanor

It doesn't seem to work with Champions Online yet. You can see it on the side of ther screen, but it won't slide out, and it seems to hijack some of CO's hotkeys, like T for travel power.

Perhaps you see us on the desktop ?

We are not supporting this game so there is no chance we're inside it.