Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Overwolf: Keeping you Connected

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

MMORPG.com and Overwolf Ltd. have partnered to bring you the world's premier in-game connection tool: Overwolf.  Stay completely connected to the web at large from within your favorite games using the unobtrusive and extremely light application.

Not everyone’s up and up on the Social Network scene these days, but to say that Overwolf comes packaged with a ton of widgets for your multi-purpose use would be an understatement.  You can link up and access Facebook and Twitter from inside the game.  You can record video, snap screens and post them across all the major social sites.  It even has Skype and MSN built in, as well as a devoted in-game internet browser.

Read more about the Overwolf MMORPG client and download the free application here.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Isn't GW2 planing to do something similar?

• OilcanharryOilcanharry Member Posts: 73

Is this app heavy on the comp? Do you receive a lot of adds with it? Sounds really handy.

Man Of Constant Sorrow

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

That's actually pretty cool.

Now if only games would embrace social media in-game more readily.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I'll try it. Why not. Xfire is not ever getting updated anyways.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Oilcanharry

Is this app heavy on the comp? Do you receive a lot of adds with it? Sounds really handy.

You don't have anything to worry about there,  its pretty light on resources.  It  does come in handy.   Worth the download by far.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

I don't believe there will ever be ads in this - if Overwolf were to add this in the future we would probably drop it - but I don't think that is their intention.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• overwolfoverwolf Member Posts: 51

We actually have the guy who basically invented Xfire and was their VP of engineering working closly with us :). From some reason they fired the whole team after the merge with Titan.

We are going to continue adding features as we go, about every 2-3 weeks.

Enjoy the beta!

Uri from Overwolf.

• ReeperReeper Member UncommonPosts: 121

social media is needed in most games these days, purely based in fact that the actual games dont have enough content in them youll need some other distractions.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Are you eventually going to have game time tracking?

• snapp69snapp69 Member UncommonPosts: 113

You can do most of this with RIFT now in regards to the social media connection, minus the in game browser but i run the game in windowed fullscreen so just popping up firefox is no real issue. Digsby gets me the chat bubbles and facebook integration i need.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

I'll give it a shot.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

GJ mmorpg. Sadly I don't like the idea of mixing social media with video games. It's bad enough that I get jabber spams on my phone when people want to blow up Internet spaceships in EVE :p.

It's always fun trying to explain to the misses who's texting me. No boo, it's not another woman but our e-honor as at stake!

Originally posted by snapp69

You can do most of this with RIFT now in regards to the social media connection, minus the in game browser but i run the game in windowed fullscreen so just popping up firefox is no real issue. Digsby gets me the chat bubbles and facebook integration i need.

But it doesn't look nearly as fancy or migrate to all other games.  Hey, its free,  no reason not to try it ah?

Yes - this one is on our roadmap...

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Originally posted by maskedweasel

But it doesn't look nearly as fancy or migrate to all other games.  Hey, its free,  no reason not to try it ah?

Actually there IS a reason.

I'm getting tired of all these 'social' and 'community' aps/programs/sites. It's no one's business but my own what I do on my computer and I don't want all my friends lurking about when I'm trying out some new game nor want to inform them that I'm about to take a dump or just making coffee.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Sorry about the empty post above, was logging in...  Anyways, this sounds pretty cool, I'll be downloading it, nice way to keep in touch and record videos.  Question though, what is the game in the screenshot up there?

Originally posted by Bunnyking

I'm getting tired of all these 'social' and 'community' aps/programs/sites. It's no one's business but my own what I do on my computer and I don't want all my friends lurking about when I'm trying out some new game nor want to inform them that I'm about to take a dump or just making coffee.

I suppose if thats your preference.  All I'm saying, is its a handy little program that has a lot of great features if you already currently use what it offers,  thats all.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Clearly still in the beta state as it mentions when loading. Tried it out on CivCity: Rome and when the thing is active (you have to use a short-cut to activate/deactivate it) you can not use te side to scroll over the map, you first have to deactivate it againt. Also treid to record some, but it recorded it rather laggy. While recording though the it did well.

It also keeps updating your MSN with "using overlord" or "playering x using overlord" and saw no option to turn it off, with is rather annoying, because I really do not care to inform the people in my MSN what game I am playing at the moment.

Good idea, but still needs some work.

EDIT: To really close the app you need to use ctrl-alt delete. At this moment having done all discribed above and having closed everything (even the app-popup thingy) it uses a stunning 200.000k of my memory. With is high, considering it aint supposed to be doing anything right now.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

This!

Originally posted by Coman

Clearly still in the beta state as it mentions when loading. Tried it out on CivCity: Rome and when the thing is active (you have to use a short-cut to activate/deactivate it) you can not use te side to scroll over the map, you first have to deactivate it againt. Also treid to record some, but it recorded it rather laggy. While recording though the it did well.

It also keeps updating your MSN with "using overlord" or "playering x using overlord" and saw no option to turn it off, with is rather annoying, because I really do not care to inform the people in my MSN what game I am playing at the moment.

That is actually a good point, we will add the option to remove "using overwolf" in the next version. (in about 2.5 weeks).

Thanks very much for that, 

Uri from Overwolf ([email protected])

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Groovydutch

This!

This app has a lot more to offer then telling your friends what you doing. Being able to use MSN, browse the internet and make ss and records videos (with you could directly upload) are good features with you could use without having to tell people on twitter or FB what your doing.

EDIT: To really close the app you need to use ctrl-alt delete. At this moment having done all discribed above and having closed everything (even the app-popup thingy) it uses a stunning 200.000k of my memory. With is high, considering it aint supposed to be doing anything right now.

Answer about the EDIT: 

You can exit by going to the icon in the tray, right click and choose exit. (No need to Ctrl + alt + delete).

The reason for the 200Mb RAM is the browser engine. As an example, try and open a few tabs in Firefox - you will easily get there. Further, every widget you open "remembers" it's last state for quick response.

Thanks for your feedback!

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Originally posted by Groovydutch

This!

This app has a lot more to offer then telling your friends what you doing. Being able to use MSN, browse the internet and make ss and records videos (with you could directly upload) are good features with you could use without having to tell people on twitter or FB what your doing.

For those who like this fine hope you like it and enjoy it, hope its succes for overwolf.

But im anti FB or twitter or other social  apps and i realy dont want them ingame. I very fond of my privacy.

But i wish overwolf succes with this realy as long something is free to use not forced, im fine with this, its just not for me.

• taulutussitaulutussi Member Posts: 37

Sounds pretty neat. Would be cool if you could stream video with it as well - perhaps someday?

I don't care personally about the FB, Snipper, Snapper and whatever else services there are. I think people are getting way too obsessed with those things, but I ain't judging.

• Dem3triusDem3trius Member UncommonPosts: 20

This problem is solved by a second monitor. Why do I need my chat windows to sit over my game when they can be sitting on the screen right next to the one I am playing my game in?