Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUST 514: Will Require Initial "Cover Charge"

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

PS3 players of CCP Games upcoming EVE Online MMOFPS tie-in DUST 514 will be required to pay an initial "cover charge" for the game when the game launches, though the charge will be refunded with in-game currency.

In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, CCP Games CEO Hilmar Pétursson notes that players will basically get the game free of charge, but will be required to pre-buy $10-20 worth of credits at launch, though he also leaves the door open for the possibility of the game going "fully free-to-play" down the line.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

In game currency?  This is a sure fancy way of saying that you get starter cash with your box purchase.  I dont know if they have said this before but it sounds like Dust will have some sort of cash shop if they consider it to be "Free" after you get that currency. 

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Why not just make it buy to play then? saying its free to play would be a lie then.

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

Wait this is really weird.  So, technically they are saying a FTP game will be deployed on the PS3?  They have  a fee they already have to pay for their game to be on the PS3 so they lose money right off the bat.  I thought this was going to be a box sale game. Or...is it?

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Thats where Im confused Excalaber, I've been under the impression of the years of following this that it was going to be a box sale game, and then a monthly subscription just like EvE seeing as its supposed to be a revolutionary console fpsmmo

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• achmed20achmed20 Member Posts: 23

because if u dont like the game and sell it, the buyer has to pay the fee again and ccp gets money.

pretty good idea if u ask me as long as the game itself is free OR cheap to have.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

In reality who cares?  Not buying a PS3 to play this so they can do what they want with this title.  Personally there are a lot more xbox's out there than PS3's not sure why they went the PS3 route.  The PS3 is actually harder to code for too.

• Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

ozmodan, i believe its because Xbox requires you to pay per update for videogame releases and since CCP does massive updates almost each week that would lead to substantial costs

PS3 doesnt charge for updates and online subscriptions like xbox so that may be the appealing deal for releaseing this on ps3

personally i would rather see this on PC over the consoles since EVE is PC!

• LokathLokath Member Posts: 33

It's not going to be a PS3 game. It's going to be a PSN game.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

they must have relations with goldsellers :O

• ArquitetoArquiteto Member Posts: 228

PS3 gives devs more options as far as outside access goes. That is the reason Steam is on PS3 and not on 360.This allows PS3 and PC can play Portal 2 coop together.

This game is going to have a CASH SHOP. They stated in an article that eventually there would be no entry fee. IT could work if they charge small fees for entire kits like the new Tribes plans on doing. However these are the guys who are charging $70 for an avatar monacle in eve and have remained firm that they think there pricing is fine.

I used to LOVE CCp. Played eve for many years, but there slow conversion from passtionate devs to Money Hungry Hippos.

• mogi67mogi67 Member UncommonPosts: 69

news flash: game developer announces that you have to buy their game to play it 

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

CCP has to make sure they announce that their new game is going to include a cash shop as early as possible to avoid another catastophe like EvE. And... I see this one being received just about as well.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

I like many others are upset at the fact it's not a PC game... however I have a PS3 already and play EVE so I know I will be checking it out regardless of what it is being released on.  Actually setting my corp up now to take part in DUST 514 when it does release.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Hard to see how it could survive wihout online cash shop...certainly the cash buy-in points a way to them making money without a download price or a regular sub.

• DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 175

CCP wana make shure that PS3 players will buy monocles :)

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

CCP doesn't have my vote or money any longer after they caved in to the whiners concerning the useless "ship spinning" fiasco.

I prefer game companies that actually stick to their design goals and evolve with modern technology. 

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Let me understand this properly. This game is an FPS ancillary plug-in to the Eve online universe, a very popular game for PC. Everyone playing Eve has been getting excited about it since it was announced as an interesting new FPS angle to the game to take the edge off the endless cash grind and slightly removed spaceship-based theme. And...you can only play it on the PS3, consoles being for most PC gamers, the macDonalds prostitute of poor gaming choice. Emmm. Why is no one pointing out that that's the dumbest most idiotic concept in the history of computer games. Or am I missing something crucial? 

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

Let me understand this properly. This game is an FPS ancillary plug-in to the Eve online universe, a very popular game for PC. Everyone playing Eve has been getting excited about it since it was announced as an interesting new FPS angle to the game to take the edge off the endless cash grind and slightly removed spaceship-based theme. And...you can only play it on the PS3, consoles being for most PC gamers, the macDonalds prostitute of poor gaming choice. Emmm. Why is no one pointing out that that's the dumbest most idiotic concept in the history of computer games. Or am I missing something crucial? 

It was covered by the majority of players the second the console-exclusive choice was announced, hence why so many Eve players could give a crap less about the game.

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Ah fair enough I must not have noticed the kfuffle. Still, worst marketing choice I've seen in a very long time. 

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

You can play this game for free. You just have to pay us first...lately every time I read something from CCP I have to check to make sure it aint 1st of April already. 

It's a cash game. You have to buy-in with a certain ammount to gain the necessary currency. You may even get rewarded for being good, but ultimately CCP are suggesting Dust 514 as cash stakes game that ties into EvE and vice versa.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I don't understand the purpose? Why would they say the game is free, but then say you have to pay to get in? Why not just say the game will be 'cheap' or 'buy 2 pay'?

There's nothing wrong with either of those two scenarios, but when you start playing word games it makes people wary of your product and company.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Well...it is quite simple really,  cash stakes or cash buy-in is a very proftiable way to go for FPS game since they are short-term tournament-style games. If CCP can get buy-ins of $10 K (i.e. 1000 going in with a $10 buy-in) for major Dust 514 tournaments at some points you are talking Blizzard-style money, but by a different gaming model. Before you say that $10 buy-in is just chicken feed, let's imagine that down the road the online tournaments catch on and you get elite tournaments with $50 or more buy-in...can see how this model works folks!

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

Let me understand this properly. ... Or am I missing something crucial? 

Kind of missing something. 

Dust514 isn't really an add-on to EVE, it's CCP's attempt to branch out into console games.  To do that, they're using their established intellectual property (that being the universe of EVE) to build a FPS.  Then, because they're CCP and they like to try to be different, they're going to try and make a persistent FPS that links into their PC game but remains separate.

(I'm getting this from fanfest interviews mainly)

The business decision to expand their userbase into the console realm is what's behind the title.  They could have used World of Darkness or anything else, but for reasons I can understand they went with their most well known property. 

• psycrospsycros Member Posts: 15

DUST will be exactly that, because nobody will play it.  EVE players have virtually no interest, hard core FPS-ers have no interest in a pay-to-win game, and casual players aren't very interested in FPS.  A fail waiting to happen, much like EVE itself is becoming.