Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dust514...free download from CCP from PSN, but $10-20 buy-in.

IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Well, here we are again folks with another story on the buisness of online gaming as given to us by CCP. After the EvE cash shop we now have details on Dust 514 game price sturucture. Initially the PSN download will be free, but there will then be a $10-20 buy-in. 

"In the beginning you have to pre-buy credits, so you pay something like $10-$20 to enter the game and you get the equivalent number of credits in the game once you do that. We call this the 'cover charge'," CCP's CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson explained toGamesIndustry.biz.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/dust_514/news/dust_514_will_require_a_cover_charge_from_ps3_users.html

http://beefjack.com/news/dust-514-its-free-to-play-but-you-have-to-pay-for-it/

There is talk of free-2-play at some point after that which makes me think that an online cash shop may become a major factor for the game too. 

The game will still tie into EvE itself (Golden goose) and vice versa.

Coming to y'all early 2012...

DUST 514.jpg

Comments

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Any talk of a PC version yet?

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by Illyssia

"In the beginning you have to pre-buy credits, so you pay something like $10-$20 to enter the game and you get the equivalent number of credits in the game once you do that. We call this the 'cover charge'," CCP's CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson explained toGamesIndustry.biz.

There is talk of free-2-play at some point after that which makes me think that an online cash shop may become a major factor for the game too. 

It is probably a fair assumption that the "cover charge"  is the purchase of cash shop currency.

• Fusei88Fusei88 Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by VultureSkull

Any talk of a PC version yet?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/loadNews/20803/Dust-514-to-be-Exclusive-PS3-Title

If you already knew about this, my bad !

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

If it is PSN likely they will have console-specific server.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

So, this went from being on Xbox 360 to PS3 exclusive? Guess I will stop watching this game.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

From what I understand, the PS3 exclusivity was due to Eve being told it was not allowed on the 360 servers.

I would be VERY wary of any of this "forced" marketplace stuff ESPECIALLY after Eve-Gate.  (a simple google search for Eve Nex Monocle) should suffice to show you where this company plans to take itself in the future.  It really shattered my hopes for World of Darkness.

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by Ikeda

From what I understand, the PS3 exclusivity was due to Eve being told it was not allowed on the 360 servers.

I would be VERY wary of any of this "forced" marketplace stuff ESPECIALLY after Eve-Gate.  (a simple google search for Eve Nex Monocle) should suffice to show you where this company plans to take itself in the future.  It really shattered my hopes for World of Darkness.

To even think anyone would make games just to earn money............

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by Gruug

So, this went from being on Xbox 360 to PS3 exclusive? Guess I will stop watching this game.

I think they went PSN release model because its easier for online play. By going PSN release only the standard of the game won't have to be at say the level of the top FPS games either. 

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by tinuelle

It's not the making money, it's HOW they make the money.

I use the example of Smurf Life on the iOS.  This is a game that is CLEARLY aimed at kids.  Most kids play on their parents iOS devices.  Most parents have their CC info in their iOS device for easy of use.  With 2 button pushes, kids can spend 100$ if parents don't know what to look for.  Smurf life is making money, but is it ethically right?

For the same reason, CCP selling a $75 pair of monocles (may be a bit off on the price but I think I'm close) is ludicrous.  The part that REALLY bothers me is that they had over 60+ purchases.  Fine, that's cosmetic.  But then they released the memo's that you could buy p2W ships, skills, and the like.  This in their "flag-ship" "sand-box".

Charge me for the game, that's fine.  But forcing me to "Buy-In" their in-game store starts a slippery slope that I don't appreciate the possible outcomes.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

I'm really excited to see what  CCP will do with this game. They have great devs with good ideas, Just have a look at EVE, even if you don't like it, there is no way to deny the game quality.

That kind of mind going for FPS games is just awsome. I'm a huge fan of FPS in general. 

There is another not so amazing thing for the majority, but for me its just awsome. This game may be Move compatible (i'm not that sure.. but i guess i read it somewhere) , i just got my Move kit with a sharp shooter (the sony official gun)  and i'm having a blast playing Killzone 3 with it. Its SOOOO awsome. I had never been so imersed on a shooter EVER.  Playing a CCP game with that kind of experience... i'm just excited to see what they come up with.

But i don't think they did a great move not supporting PC. Their playebase is already on PC, most of console players dont even know EVE or CCP. This may affect the game sales.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Originally posted by tinuelle

It's not the making money, it's HOW they make the money.

I use the example of Smurf Life on the iOS.  This is a game that is CLEARLY aimed at kids.  Most kids play on their parents iOS devices.  Most parents have their CC info in their iOS device for easy of use.  With 2 button pushes, kids can spend 100$ if parents don't know what to look for.  Smurf life is making money, but is it ethically right?

For the same reason, CCP selling a $75 pair of monocles (may be a bit off on the price but I think I'm close) is ludicrous.  The part that REALLY bothers me is that they had over 60+ purchases.  Fine, that's cosmetic.  But then they released the memo's that you could buy p2W ships, skills, and the like.  This in their "flag-ship" "sand-box".

Charge me for the game, that's fine.  But forcing me to "Buy-In" their in-game store starts a slippery slope that I don't appreciate the possible outcomes.

Oh my god.

The monocle thing. Come on dude. Grow it. Its called VANITY. VANITY. Thats something people would buy just to buy it. Someone with a lot of money or someone with stupid crazy priorities. Obviously they don't expect many people at all to buy expensive items like that. They only expect the far out there people to buy things like that.

As for buying ships/useful items. Just take 5 minutes to think about about this. Seriously, don't just scoff and be close minded, just think about it. If a player spends 1 year to get something, and another player spends a few days and a bunch of money to get the exact same thing, what happens? Two players just got the same thing. :O

You spend time or you spend money. Thats how the real world works. Thats how games can work too. Some people have extra time others have extra money. Either way, everyone loses in the end because some waste their time and some waste their money on a pointless fake game. But the ones that spend money come out on top a little because the ones that spend time in the game also spend time whining about people progressing with money.