Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide: Story of the Week: Planetside 2 Debuts in Vegas

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

This week's crowning story has to no doubt go to the official unveiling of SOE's Planetside 2.  Fans of the original have been waiting a long time for their first look at this sequel, and Vegas' Fan Faire did not disappoint.

The original was one of the first MMOFPS to capture the imagination of gamers, and while it was never a major success myself and the rest of the game's fans always thought of it as a title well ahead of its time.  Then the shooter became the front-running genre of gaming, and WoW brought mainstream attention to the MMO space and we were all left wondering... when are we going to see Planetside get some love?  Now's the time!

Read more of Bill Murphy's Story of the Week: Planetside 2 Debuts in Vegas.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

"A turd covered in baby food?" You're NEVER babysitting my future kids. :P

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Hey, it's early Saturday and I woke to find my cat of the mind that my office floor is a better litter box than her actual litter box.  It was the first thing that came to mind!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

ZOMG! Give me now! Played the 1st one and fell in love with this game.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Loved Planetside, can't wait to see what SoE have cooked-up this time.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

Yup cant wait to try it out, thou Tribes Ascend is also comming from Hirez, looks like there may be a conflict in the works and Tribes will be F2P in the same way global agenda is http://tribesascend.com/

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 227

This will be a true masterpiece. Sony didn't do terrible in PS1 however AS and BFRs really hurt the game for us veterans as we lost a huge amount of player base. 

I hope they learn from their mistakes and when listening to the player base they use common sence and not try to make something so un balanced in an FPS it permently pushes players away.

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    I'm 100% there. Played straight from CB for PS1. Trying to figure a way into CB for PS2 lol :)
  • Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by toljar

This will be a true masterpiece. Sony didn't do terrible in PS1 however AS and BFRs really hurt the game for us veterans as we lost a huge amount of player base. 

I hope they learn from their mistakes and when listening to the player base they use common sence and not try to make something so un balanced in an FPS it permently pushes players away.

Oh how right you are about the BFR's and the AS expansion, they really killed it for me but i did have a blast when it first came out with my brothers and friends... god i enjoyed the ground combat, kicked Battlefields ass at the time and was way ahead of any other game out there that supported 16v16 battles or less... then comes 64v64... what did everyone miss... fucking 500v500v500!!!! though most battles were 100v100v100 due to server stress but it used to go higher in its day.

most unbalanced issues in my opinion

Medium armor carrying two heavy weapons in a mosquito (screw the squito and just jump out while its a kamakazi, then  hit the ground running with a dual jackhammer/minigun combination)

cloakers armed with charge fire weapons (this kinda killed it for me, when they released that damn 1 shot kills all non heavy skined infantry it was like kissing your ass goodbye and the sniper then became irrelevant)

rockets through the building fired from a reaver, the biggest GLITCH THERE IS!!! most groups took advantage of it and used it to drastic effect against each other, but the buildings were becoming less and less effective when they updated the game and tried to fix it... basically a reaver would be able to ram into the building and fire all missiles and they would clip through the building and detonate inside at close range against the spawn tubes or anything else vital

i pray they make PS2 better, and not as shitty with their expansion choices.... VanuSoverienty and Terran Republic for the WIN!

New conglom... kiss my ass xD

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

Meh, I never had problems with cloakers even with the expansion pistols.  Of course I was in the habit of hitting darklight at random whenever I was in a battle heh.  I thought cloaking was balanced overall.

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 493

I have high hopes but retain a realistic view of SOE. With the current trend in MMOs I fear they will turn this into a cash shop nightmare with people paying for skill points, command ranks, better gear, faster leveling, etc. SOE always thinks in the short term. What can they do to make a ton of money fast regardless of how it betrays the playerbase.

• Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37

Originally posted by Warzod

I have high hopes but retain a realistic view of SOE. With the current trend in MMOs I fear they will turn this into a cash shop nightmare with people paying for skill points, command ranks, better gear, faster leveling, etc. SOE always thinks in the short term. What can they do to make a ton of money fast regardless of how it betrays the playerbase.

pretty much this

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I'm curious to see the UI and controls.  And yeah, I'm one of those skeptics that wonders if SOE can pull this off.  They did have some nice ideas with DCUO though.

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Definately gonna play this as I love the 3v3 factioncombat, and the pvp focus of the game.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by mmoski

Yup cant wait to try it out, thou Tribes Ascend is also comming from Hirez, looks like there may be a conflict in the works and Tribes will be F2P in the same way global agenda is http://tribesascend.com/

No real conflict seeing how PS2 is "Thousands of players sharing one open, seamless world. Three-faction warfare with each group wrestling over prescious resources." and TA is just a 32 player lobby based shooter.

So as far as TA goes they should be more worried about Battlefield 3 not PS2.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Cannot wait!  I also will be wary of SOE though, but I have confidence. 

I'm glad I can comment here with people who actually played PS1.  At IGN people thought this was the PS3's answer to Halo.......I can't stand ignorant fanbois lol.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by Warzod

It is good to see someone is wearing their thinking cap today. 

The SOE label behind the title kills any hype about this game.  When was the last time SOE released a quality MMO?   8 years ago?

• XzitoXzito Member Posts: 43

i got so high hopes for planetside , i lvoed the 1st one and so did my 4 brother god i remeber the Galayx jump and invading hacking the base gaurding the hacker so goone buy this shit!

• scragcatscragcat Member UncommonPosts: 94

Really hope SOE puts at least $10 into marketing/advertising this time around.

Really hope SOE downloads Norton Anti Virus (free trial) ((wasn't meant to be a plug)) at a minimum and maybe agressively counter hackers instead of banning accounts several hours - days after the fact. (Well ban the accounts but not allow hackers to play for the several hours straight).

Really hope it has the same epic feel planetside 1 still gives me and that LOTS of people give it a try even if they never were into fps games.

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

Sounds like a ton of fun! If I play I'll be sucking it up along side you!

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• HachiroHachiro Member Posts: 92

Played PS religiously and yes i will be there on day one for PS2.

Heso o kamedomo oyobanu -- Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

They work on their pricing schemes; make something people would buy; and actually support a title with their whole ass instead of half of it...

And I'd probably still stick with TF2, CS, Battlefield, COD, Halo, APB, checkers first.

But!

It'd be a cool game for anyone willing to go SOE one more time.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • tapeworm00tapeworm00 Member Posts: 549

I used to love Planetside 1 - of course I'll be there!

• KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    Damn I hadn't thought about the whole cash shop thing. Sadly it is indeed the trend. I guess as long as I don't HAVE to P2W then I'm ok. By that I mean everything in the CS is atainable with a little patience. Ah whatever, I loved PS1 and I'll love PS2 lol
  • DM19DM19 Member UncommonPosts: 122

Haha the guy saying how bad cloakers were brings me back to a funny bug i've had for the full time i played the game (4 years) all enemy cloakers had their names showing. Be a red name just floating there many mad cloakers in my time :) and odd thing is no one friend or any of the outfits i was in on the 3 servers i played knew of it seemed like it was just me some how.

And befor anyone trys to say i hacked or something i didn't it started after a patch and never got fixed

• If they actually nail the persistence this time I am in :) Not liking the EVE styled skill system though as it doesnt sound like its too friendly to long term success and new players being able to compete