Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: SOE Fan Faire: Two Expansions and Planetside 2

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Drew Wood is on hand in Las Vegas for all there is to see at SOE's Fan Faire 2011.  As luck would have it, the show's starting off with a bang, unveiling two new expansions and the long awaited first ever reveal of Planetside 2.

Finally, we were given the official introduction to the newest member of the SOE team, Planetside 2.  Matt Higby, Creative Director, took to the stage to tell us bits and pieces of what we can expect for the futuristic(ish) combat and combat-planning MMOFPS.  There will be truly massive warfare, placing thousands of players in the open world without any instancing.  There will be territory control that ensures a constantly changing topography with every inch of the map contestable between the three factions and serving a purpose for gathering and earning resources for your faction. 

Read more of Drew's thoughts from Vegas in SOE Fan Faire: Two Expansions and Planetside 2.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

The new graphics engine sounds great.  I am excited by both of the new MMOs (next and PlanetSide 2).  Can't Wait!

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

PS2 with...classes? NC has jetpacks? hmm

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Holy hell, if you turned all EQ1 zones in to one map you'd get landmass equal to all continents combined.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by mmoguy43

PS2 with...classes? NC has jetpacks? hmm

PS1 had "soft classes" by the armor you wore

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Armor/kit/licens created a sort of class system and it sounds like they are building upon that here. Looking forward to it.

This have been a good conversation

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Where is this news about the "secret MMO" in development that Smed was talking about in his sunset interview about SWG?

I was hoping to hear some tidbits about that.....

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265

FINALLY they are bringing back the Beastlord that they said they would NEVER do for EQ2.  I might just come back for this expansion.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

So Everquest Next will be zoneless? That sounds fine. :)

I hope they have gotten better to optimize their engines since EQ 2 though.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

So how did the planet side games work?  Did you level like MAG or something?  Planetside 2 is basically a PvP mmo with no PvE right?

• bambookbambook Member UncommonPosts: 180

planet side is not like MAG, its like darkfall if anything, you have classes as well, and different planets, you buy cars  , planes, armor, level up ur hacking to hack bases in order to capture them, battles can be like 1k vs 1k 

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

All sounds good :)

• archer75archer75 Member UncommonPosts: 157

New EQ2 expansion sounds good.  Don't know if i'll have time for it between TOR and GW2.  Plentside 2 also looks good and will give it a shot. But with two tribes games coming and one of those a MMOFPS it's going to be hard to find the time for it all.  

Tribes 2 is back!!!! http://www.tribesnext.com/
    And from the makers of tribes: Fallen Empire: Legions http://www.instantaction.com/

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by bambook

planet side is not like MAG, its like darkfall if anything, you have classes as well, and different planets, you buy cars  , planes, armor, level up ur hacking to hack bases in order to capture them, battles can be like 1k vs 1k 

Ah alright thanks for clearing that up.  So was it purely PvP or was there also PvE too?  Still though 1k vs 1k fights is pretty impressive.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Planetside 1 had no NPCs (at least when I played, I don't know if it ever changed at some point), so all PvP.  I'm assuming Planetside 2 will be the same.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Can't wait to fly a new Mosquito!  vrooooom mfing vroooooom!

No bitchers.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

While I was reading this, I could not help tihinking that SoE made many unique mmo's in the past.

SWG pre CU-NGE, Planetside, Everquest was also a trendsetter, even if you did not like it.

It feels weird to say something positive about SoE, but with Planetside they really made something great and fun, and afaik they never really messed that one up.

Planetside was great just did not have enough depth and progression like other mmo's. So maybe Planetside 2 will offer that.

Just hope they don't mess it up like SWG, yah, I am still a bitter vet damned!

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

wow Beastlords , this was a long going joke on my server for some time in EQ2 when i played and now it's true .

dont mess up Soe .

• sri_rishabhsri_rishabh Member Posts: 56

They again booted Vanguard...what a pity and unfair treatment to this great game and to its loyal community...

forgot about an expansion , they don;t even mention its name in fan faire....why don;t they just sell or close it , rather than humuliating the community

• ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231

It all sounds good.  I will definitely have to check out the new EQ 2 expansion.  The beastlord was always my favorite class in EQ.  I am really excited about Planetside 2 and Everquest Next.  Especially EQ Next.  

I am also glad that they are using a brand new game engine for both games.  The new engine looks really good, I can't wait to see more of it.

• sirsammy33sirsammy33 Member Posts: 64

like to remake my rat char now as a beastlord.. horder of cats ... ")

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Impressive that EQ is still pumping out expansions.

I'm intrigued about the beastlord and the mercenaries. They were very well done in EQ, but I've never really gotten into EQ2 due to its low population.

• ersingibleersingible Member Posts: 70

Some people will never learn.

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

man another 40$ expansion that will probably be craptastic, Eq2 and eq are getting money farmed till they drop dead, imo. Eq2 is a decent game i wont take that away from it.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Vanguard was not made by SOE, its was made by Sigil game online.

they just bought it from Sigil, but still its not them who made it,

And the Secret MMO they are making, Its  not realy a secret , Its called ( EverQuest Next)  build with the new engine,....

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by sirsammy33

like to remake my rat char now as a beastlord.. horder of cats ... ")

Lol. Aww I miss Everquest. Come on SOE, hurry with EQ3 already!

Hm. Sounds like I might even return to EQ2, even tho I was so sure never to...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert