Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petition To Save SWG

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

This transcript from last nights fanfair via eq2wire.com

Linda “Brasse” Carlson coming to the stage. Dressed as a dwarf of course, but with a light saber. :)

Talking about Star Wars Galaxies.

> It breaks the heart of everyone that this world has to come to an end. It was felt throughout the company when the announcement was made. We the admiration and feeling we have for the players is strong. 2003-2011 wasn’t long enough for me, but it is a long time for an MMO.

Showing a video made by the SWG developers.

EQ2Wire Exclusive: It is unfortunate that LucasArts wanted to terminate the contract not only on Star Wars Galaxies but SWG The Card Game to avoid any confusion with SW:TOR by BioWare. And this is not supposition, it’s confirmed by 2 sources in the industry. SOE didn’t want to end the game.

> I hope that you will join us in the last few months of Star Wars Galaxies. We have many events planned. Be with us and share the dream for the rest of the year.

Talking about various events back in the Grand Ballroom including various games, Karaoke, etc. Live Podcast.

GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

See?

It was LA that decided to close it, not SOE

If LA not offering contract, how can SOE buy? I would buy a BRAND NEW (only just made this year) Spectrum 48K from the shops for more money than top end PC, but they are not being made, no shops are selling them, so can not

It was also closed to prevent confusion from the 2 MMOs, and not because SWG was dead. It was far from it. Stupid reason for closing SWG

LA are the ones behind TOR too, and watch that game go to the dogs as well.

If TOR is to be safe from these crappy decissions, then SWG needs to be saved, to stop them from doing such things, or least makes them think twice about doing such things

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by superniceguy

See?

If LA not offering contract, how can SOE buy? I would buy a BRAND NEW (only just made this year) Spectrum 48K from the shops for more money than top end PC, but they are not being made, no shops are selling them, so can not

It was also closed to prevent confusion from the 2 MMOs, and not because SWG was dead. It was far from it. Stupid reason for closing SWG

If TOR is to be safe from these crappy decissions, then SWG needs to be saved, to stop them from doing such things, or least makes them think twice about doing such things

Smedley statements the other day saying it was a mutual decision did not help things.  However now we have these statements from the Lady in charge of SWG.  I will trust that,  along with the info from Feldon he never writes stuff without doing his footwork, and looking into things.  He is one of the few fan sites that I actually pay attention too, you can trust his credibility.  

Now that we know that LA is behind it there is no way they can save swg now, as its way out of  SOE's hands.  

The only person who ever beet Lucas in a court case was hist first wife.  That was why he waited almost 20 years before doing the the next 3 star wars movies as he wanted to make sure she could not get 1/2 the profit like she did from the first three films.

Originally posted by erictlewis

See?

Smedley statements the other day saying it was a mutual decision did not help things.  However now we have these statements from the Lady in charge of SWG.  I will trust that,  along with the info from Feldon he never writes stuff without doing his footwork, and looking into things.  He is one of the few fan sites that I actually pay attention too, you can trust his credibility.  

Now that we know that LA is behind it there is no way they can save swg now, as its way out of  SOE's hands.  

The only person who ever beet Lucas in a court case was hist first wife.  That was why he waited almost 20 years before doing the the next 3 star wars movies as he wanted to make sure she could not get 1/2 the profit like she did from the first three films.

The only people who will get to change LAs mind are LA.

If they can see that TOR will be better off by keeping SWG active, then they will change their minds. The trick is, trying to get them to see that.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Is that quote from Brasse?  It doesn't look to be part of what she said, but some reference to 2 unnamed "sources".

I don't think anyone doubts that Lucas Arts wasn't interested in continuing SWG, but that doesn't mean SOE wasn't interested either.  SWG is a huge stain on their reputation and no way they would want to pay to renew this license.

Rest assured that there is language in the contract somewhere that would allow SOE to renew if they wanted to, but it would require them to have met their obligations or some large figure.

Either way, both companies wanted out of this.   That is why it was a mutual agreement.

Originally posted by Daffid011

Is that quote from Brasse?  It doesn't look to be part of what she said, but some reference to 2 unnamed "sources".

I don't think anyone doubts that Lucas Arts wasn't interested in continuing SWG, but that doesn't mean SOE wasn't interested either.  SWG is a huge stain on their reputation and no way they would want to pay to renew this license.

Rest assured that there is language in the contract somewhere that would allow SOE to renew if they wanted to, but it would require them to have met their obligations or some large figure.

Either way, both companies wanted out of this.   That is why it was a mutual agreement.

You don't give up do you?

SWG was a stain on their reputation back in 2005, but not any more. SWG was SOEs #1 MMO game of 2010 according to a poll generated from this site.

You don't give up do you?

SWG was a stain on their reputation back in 2005, but not any more. SWG was SOEs #1 MMO game of 2010 according to a poll generated from this site.

A poll from this website isn't really the best source of information to show SWG popularity.

No offense to mmorpg.com, but this website attracts players who are looking for a new mmo.  People who are really happy with their current games don't really come around here so much.

That is sort of grasping at straws isn't it?

• bepolitebepolite Member Posts: 53

id rather sign a 'reanimate  ultima online 2  development' petition then one  to save  SWG , wich was hand on heart a mess from day one.

Such petitions for  sinking or sunken ships have no value.

with a community size such as in SWG  the petition is doomed to fail...im sorry

Originally posted by bepolite

id rather sign a 'reanimate  ultima online 2  development' petition then one  to save  SWG , wich was hand on heart a mess from day one.

The point is SWG is not a sinking or sunk ship.

LA are only closing this to get SWG out of the way of SWTOR, to prevent people being confused and subbing to SWG instead, and has nothing to do with population. If LA decide to to a lego Star Wars MMO if SWTOR fails, then SWTOR will close as well, even if it too has loads of players, or they may try and change it like they did with SWG, and do a NGE on it.

SWG needs saving to save TOR and all other future MMOs from crappy decisions

The irony of this statement is amazing.

SWG, a game that has suffered from from day 1 from some of the worst decision making in mmo history, needs to be saved. o that SWTOR can be saved from crappy decisions?

In what possible way does any of that make sense?

I do agree with a plea to get EA to revive some sort of UO2 project.  One can only hope.

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137

LA are only closing this to get SWG out of the way of SWTOR, to prevent people being confused and subbing to SWG instead, and has nothing to do with population. If LA decide to to a lego Star Wars MMO if SWTOR fails, then SWTOR will close as well, even if it too has loads of players, or they may try and change it like they did with SWG, and do a NGE on it.

Sorry bud, SWG is dead as of December 15th and nothing will change that.

SWG certainly had some life left in it but LA/EA quite obvioulsy do not want it doing anything to detract from TOR's release and given SWG's checkered past, I think they decided that 'out of sight, out of mind' was the best policy.

SWG, a game that has suffered from from day 1 from some of the worst decision making in mmo history, needs to be saved. o that SWTOR can be saved from crappy decisions?

I do agree with a plea to get EA to revive some sort of UO2 project.  One can only hope.

What makes no sense is to close a MMO that is still populated so that people do not get confused and sub to the wrong game

This proves that LA do not care for their customers, and they are rthe ones who made the CU and NGE happen, and now they wreck thousands of players game time, who are still having fun on full and locked servers.

If LA get away with this then TOR too will suffer from day 1 of more worst decision making.

SWG went to crap in 2005, but over the last 6 years has come along to way to awesome, and still getting better to this day, and the only reason that has been was becauuse LA left it alone for SOE to deal with, as LA went off to deal with TOR

Now LA are back, and so are the worst decisions

Originally posted by Sharkypal

SWG certainly had some life left in it but LA/EA quite obvioulsy do not want it doing anything to detract from TOR's release and given SWG's checkered past, I think they decided that 'out of sight, out of mind' was the best policy.

It will not be dead of Dec 15th if LA change their mind beforehand

SWG will never be out of sight , out of mind from this. If it died of natural causes, then it may have done, but with loads of people still playing and enjoying SWG, it never will do

SWG will never be out of sight , out of mind from this. If it died of natural causes, then it may have done, but with loads of people still playing and enjoying SWG, it never will do

I guarantee you it will be dead on December 15th 2011. It's better to accept that now than hold out false hope because there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of any kind of reprieve.

Originally posted by GreenHell

{mod edit}

OK, now sign the petition, if you have not already

Cheers :)

I guarantee you it will be dead on December 15th 2011. It's better to accept that now than hold out false hope because there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of any kind of reprieve.

You can not guarantee that it will close on Dec 15th.

Anything can happen in half an hour!

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I wish you could see how sad this makes you look. It's like a child crying over his dropped ice cream cone.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Firstly it is a complete waste of time.  SOE has to pay Lucus a fixed amount every month and the game is not currently not even making enough to cover that.

Secondly, when has SOE ever listened to their constituancy?  Right, never.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

As others have stated, I think it's glaringly obvious why it's shutting down. No need for two Star Wars games in town. Might as well consolidate all of the fans to one game. Let's face it, if this was SWG pre-NGE, I would sign in a heartbeat; however, it's not. Not worth saving in my opinion. Sorry.

3458 (current total) signatures is a testament to the fact that SWG has no support (that petition has been up for a few weeks now).

If that petition had 100,000 signatures or more, then maybe (and that's a big maybe), there would be a reevaluation. I'm not even convinced LA/EA would rethink it if there were that many signatures because as we've seen, even when they make mistakes they are loathe to admit them or do anything to rectify them.

Oh, and on December 15th, it will close. It's truly sad that you're going to waste your time believing otherwise. I'd get used to the idea ASAP.

What makes no sense is to close a MMO that is still populated so that people do not get confused and sub to the wrong game

This proves that LA do not care for their customers, and they are rthe ones who made the CU and NGE happen, and now they wreck thousands of players game time, who are still having fun on full and locked servers.

If LA get away with this then TOR too will suffer from day 1 of more worst decision making.

SWG went to crap in 2005, but over the last 6 years has come along to way to awesome, and still getting better to this day, and the only reason that has been was becauuse LA left it alone for SOE to deal with, as LA went off to deal with TOR

Now LA are back, and so are the worst decisions

... because Lucas Arts is also forcing SOE to close down CloneWarsAdventures, so people don't get confused and sub to that game.  Even though they gave SOE the license to make that game after bioware was already working on SWOTR.

... because Lucas Arts forced retails to stop selling KOTOR when KOTOR 2 was released, so people didn't buy the old game.

... repeat the above for Force Unleashed, Battlefront, Lego series, etc etc etc.

I'm in agreement with you about Lucas Arts not really caring for their customers, but I think the same think applies to SOE and on a larger scale. 

Originally posted by Praetalus

As others have stated, I think it's glaringly obvious why it's shutting down. No need for two Star Wars games in town. Might as well consolidate all of the fans to one game. Let's face it, if this was SWG pre-NGE, I would sign in a heartbeat; however, it's not. Not worth saving in my opinion. Sorry.

SWG now is far better than SWG pre-NGE

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

3458 (current total) signatures is a testament to the fact that SWG has no support (that petition has been up for a few weeks now).

If that petition had 100,000 signatures or more, then maybe (and that's a big maybe), there would be a reevaluation. I'm not even convinced LA/EA would rethink it if there were that many signatures because as we've seen, even when they make mistakes they are loathe to admit them or do anything to rectify them.

Oh, and on December 15th, it will close. It's truly sad that you're going to waste your time believing otherwise. I'd get used to the idea ASAP.

I wonder how many of those votes are from people that have multiple signups?

Originally posted by Karahandras

I wonder how many of those votes are from people that have multiple signups?

I am having difficulties getting one on there let alone 2.  I only tried putting a 2nd one on there as could not see the first any more, but hopefully is still in there but can not see it

Multiple sign ups not possible

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Praetalus

SWG now is far better than SWG pre-NGE

To quote Douglas H. Everret:

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other. image

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...