Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This aint 1970s no more! Why do we still have Gender Races/Classes?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Why do we continue to have Gender races and classes in modern MMORPGs?

Is this something you all like, and accept?

I like to play with a avatar that ether looks close to me, or is the same gender as me.

But I see this trend of MMORPGs with classes and races that may restrict me to a female avatar, or something like that.

whats the purpose of this?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• NeverdyneNeverdyne Member Posts: 167

Because these are games and not everyone wants to look exactly like in real life? Some people want to play elves, dwarves, etc.? Because variety is good?

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Right... because geneder locked classes are a thing right of all those MMORPGS that existed back in the 70's.

It really depends. In most cases, thats done in eastern (Korean, japanese, etc) games, which have very different history than we do and different views & beliefs. In some cases they simply view certain roles as being male and others as female, and arent forced to allow everyone to be everything because everyone is equal but special like what happens in the U.S. (this bullshit of "we wanted to be treated equal" while at the same time saying "we want to have our own special groups and benefits and special treatments that only we have, and nobody elss is allowed to join unless theyre the same race, sex, religion, etc")

Aside from that, sometimes it just plain fits the lore of the game and their characters/classes. For example in WAR, some classes you can play both genders, but other are restricted to male or female only. Would it make sense to have a male Witch Elf (which AFAIK all throughout Warhammer history, have always been female). Same goes for Disciple of Khaine.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Right... because geneder locked classes are a thing right of all those MMORPGS that existed back in the 70's.

lol...

• Willy123Willy123 Member Posts: 1

There were MMORPG's in the '70s?

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

everytime i look at that justin bieber female look alike on america's got talent.. it makes me value our societies gender roles.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I like to play with a avatar that ether looks close to me, or is the same gender as me.

But I see this trend of MMORPGs with classes and races that may restrict me to a female avatar, or something like that.

More than likely it has to do with how gender is viewed. And that doesn't mean in a negative way.

Gender is a very powerful thing. We have many preconceptions about what gender is about and what roles certain genders normally assume.

Look at the role of the nurse. traditionally it is a female role. But looking arbitrarily at what a nurse does nothing about it screams "woman!"

Yet, take a warrior and make that warrior female and suddenly one gets a whole different view on what that might be about.

If I was to make a game I would definitley include special select classes that were gender locked. Amazons for women or something like the Kiyoshi warriors in Avatar (not the bad live action movie) for instance.

Maybe a special class just for men like "juggernaut" for very huge powerful men wielding weapons far too large for anyone who is not capable of building their body up to massive arnold proportions.

Assigning gender to a class creates a certain type of depth as it assigns a slew of ideas and expectations on how that gender came to that job. Why they assume that job. Why only a woman might be interested or capable of one thing and a man another.

Look at the Wheel of Time books.

Regardless of whether you like them or not I find Jordan's use of gender and the differences between men and woman wielding the power to be very interesting. How healing a woman with certain weaves only allows them to slightly touch the source of power but a man is fully restored.

There is a certain type of depth to the idea of gender and class.

of course, we has "modern" people have spent so much time defending gender roles or trying to break gender roles that sometimes we forget that men and women are different in many ways.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

That's gender locked classes.  They do it to save money on artwork.

I played one a while back where, if you wanted to play a priest, you were locked into a model that looked like a 9 year old girl.  To make it worse, she had a twitch animation built into her idle... maybe cute for the first 3 times but seriously annoying beyond that.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • fallonfallonfallonfallon Member Posts: 99

It really depends. In most cases, thats done in eastern (Korean, japanese, etc) games, which have very different history than we do and different views & beliefs. In some cases they simply view certain roles as being male and others as female, and arent forced to allow everyone to be everything because everyone is equal but special like what happens in the U.S. (this bullshit of "we wanted to be treated equal" while at the same time saying "we want to have our own special groups and benefits and special treatments that only we have, and nobody elss is allowed to join unless theyre the same race, sex, religion, etc")

Aside from that, sometimes it just plain fits the lore of the game and their characters/classes. For example in WAR, some classes you can play both genders, but other are restricted to male or female only. Would it make sense to have a male Witch Elf (which AFAIK all throughout Warhammer history, have always been female). Same goes for Disciple of Khaine.

here is your answer ! well done !

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Darn I'm too tired for this.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Well you see, you like to play an avatar that looks close to YOU.  Other people like to play avatars that looks close to the THEM.  And people look different and come in different genders.  So someone who is a hot female, may want to play an avatar that is also a hot female.  So they will choose the hot female avatar.  

Then there are people who want to play a fictional character and may choose to play something crazy and wacky and even non-human - like an elf or a dwarf.

If you want to play an avatar that male, pick the male avatar.  I don't think i know any games that don't have an avatar of both sexes. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Yes, I'm fine with gender locked classes if it fits with the lore or there are some physical reasons that justify it.

I'd actually be fine with no female, plate wearing warriors, yet most games permit this.

Like others have said, witches are female, warlocks are male, while wizards, rangers, assassins can go either way in my book.

While I generally play male characters, if I want to play a particular class I'll roll a female avatar if that's all the game permits.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by bleyzwun

lol...

I'm sorry, but this line is a classic. Bravo! image

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

mostly because the lore of the game world says that everyone of X profession is male (female)... or sometimes, all members of X race are male (female) asis the case with orks in WH (who don't reproduce in the normal way according to the lore) or Galka in ff11 (which also don't reproduce in the normal way). 

usually the decision to gender-lock a class orrace has nothing to do with any prejudice or desire to inconvenience the game's clients.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Ehrrr... I never heard of "male witches"... :P

Think outside the box! A female "witch" is obviously an evil female magician. No need for neither race, gender or class to describe this. All you need are certain skills & some thinking.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Eh...? The only games i have come across latly to do that are action RPG's and those asian micro-games that play like old beat em up games...I can not think of one modern game from a major (western) studio that have gender locked classes or races.

But why we have them...? Pretty simple to answer. If you have only one model with only one frame you only need to make one version of gear and animations for that class saving huge amounts of money. Plain... and Simple.

Ah... vell i was wrong... I can think of one game... Warhammer Online. With the two genderlocked classes slayers and witchelves being genderlocked due to lore (the changed a lot of lore to give most races/classes female/male  options.)

This have been a good conversation

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

gender locked classes is only widespread among low budget generic asian free to play MMOS

and yeah, those are trapped in 1970, gameplay-wise. they always were. they will always be.

you get what you pay for

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Sagasaint

gender locked classes is only widespread among low budget generic asian free to play MMOS

and yeah, those are trapped in 1970, gameplay-wise. they always were. they will always be.

you get what you pay for

but I didn't pay anything. It was free

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

but I didn't pay anything. It was free

exactly

• merruamerrua Member Posts: 12

It's just because developers are lazy, its cheaper to just make the artwork for one.  

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Edit: My bad. The above poster nerco'd this from a month ago.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Lol you're serious?   If there is lore that state that certain "class" is one gender only then so be it.

I would HATE if for example Warhammer Online forcibly changed lore to allow male Dark Elf Witches. It would be absurd.

Not to mention that Games Workshop would propably don't allow this in license.

I prefer to have a choice including gender of my character I create

BUT

I like to play games that have good story , coherent world and that allow immersiveness. If in that kind of world in it's Lore / History some races are one gender or some classes are one gender then it is normal.

What year it is does not matter at all.

Edit: Uhh I just realized that someone necro'ed this thread :/ I blame american style of wrtiting date (seriously who write month first ? :PP) . Let's allow this topic to slip into depths again...

• AthillianAthillian Member Posts: 104

Shutup, please.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

dont forget how only slaanesh has female chosen, huge steroid doseing female chosen......

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Serious drug taking here.

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

I like story, and I accept gender locked races. I grew up on Books from Dragon Lance and such, DND inspired. I also learned about Warhammer and some others some of you might not have heard about. They had gender locked things for specific races and classes. Don't see why your question is applied to ALL IPs and Lore, but be more specific next time.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.