Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12 reasons you should drop your fantasy mmo for Hellgate Global!!!!

13»

Comments

• yevgeniiyevgenii Member Posts: 34

Great action MMO when it came out, minus the bugs. Really seemed rushed and had unlimited potential to become a truly great game, but alas it never even saw a peak of the kind of game it COULD have been. Not sure if I'll pick it up again, though.

• munecaroonmunecaroon Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by jpnole

A demon can kick an elf's butt any day!

Yeah, in a MMO he can. But elves are originally a race of lesser gods in Norse mythology, already in Tolkien are they a lot more powerful than the balanced androgynus pointy ears we see in most MMOs. MMo elves comes from D&D.

A Norse elf could be the snot out of at least a lesser demon like an imp and probably and inkubus or suckubus as well. Not an archdemon of course.

Anyways: If Hellgate is so great, why did it flop so badly last time? What have they done to improve it?

Thanks for putting elves into the light they truely deserve! (Got a poster here showing Glorfindel facing a Balrog).

I can't answer your question about the first launch of HG: London since I only started to play when it was F2P.

Then they opened the formerly paid-for content like Stonehenge and shared storage for everyone and it was a very enjoyable game until the lights went out.

I can try to give some impressions on the new version though:

The new Hellgate has some new content like 2nd Attack which looks like a *Back from the future* thing to me (you meet a person who's dead in the main game).

There's a new mechanic that spawns a special boss once you've eliminated a given number of mobs on a map (e.g. kill 50 to spawn a messenger from hell).

Respawn overall is a lot faster. You see more loot too which can fill your inventory quickly.

Skills have been revamped to v2.0. Overall, I'd say it's a boost rather than a nerf. Classes seem to go stronger now.

Achievements (think: perks) actually add some real bonus if you slot them.

A major drawback is the way how gear works now it's very hard to equip powerful stuff without spending most if not all stat points and along with that it's easy to mess up your *build* once you'll hit max level.

It's called stat-feed, it's not new but the cost for item attributes have gone up a lot.

I'm holding back my final judgement until I see a stable server and less buggy gameplay.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

One reason about reconsidering spending anything ever for any game called Hellgate:

Remember Hellgate London? Yes? The one that was hyped like crazy? And then it was so bad that the company got bancrupt on it? And they took with them the multiplayermode, like as a final blow to the people who bought the game, so they shall forever only play singleplayer?

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• WebzeroWebzero Member UncommonPosts: 33

Originally posted by SwampRob

Yes, let's be clear on that one point.   The game that many of you already paid for, that you can currently play FOR FREE single player, that was stated for many weeks to be FREE2PLAY, is a demo with a pay-for-the-rest-of-the-content option.

You can play up to Act 2 (of 5) for free.   That's around level 15 or 16, which should take most players... a day?

T3 is not getting any money from me.   It amazes me they didn't learn from Flagship when they released the same game with their awkward pay model.   I've no problem with a cash shop in a F2P game, selling lots of ingame features, or even special instanced content, but this isn't that.   This is a trial which forces you to pay to play most of the game.

I was kind of excited to give Hellgate another try.   I won't now.

verifiiiiiiiiiied!  2 games i payed over 50$ and got no compensation for after they flopped and got remade.  All Points Bulletin was the other.  Just Hoping FFXIV doesnt follow the same.  Alrd payed $80 for the collectors that cost only $25 now >.<

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by maji

One reason about reconsidering spending anything ever for any game called Hellgate:

Remember Hellgate London? Yes? The one that was hyped like crazy? And then it was so bad that the company got bancrupt on it? And they took with them the multiplayermode, like as a final blow to the people who bought the game, so they shall forever only play singleplayer?

You gotta let the past go. HG Global has the multiplayer and all the content is there for the cost of a Starbucks drink.

Originally posted by Webzero

Yes, let's be clear on that one point.   The game that many of you already paid for, that you can currently play FOR FREE single player, that was stated for many weeks to be FREE2PLAY, is a demo with a pay-for-the-rest-of-the-content option.

You can play up to Act 2 (of 5) for free.   That's around level 15 or 16, which should take most players... a day?

T3 is not getting any money from me.   It amazes me they didn't learn from Flagship when they released the same game with their awkward pay model.   I've no problem with a cash shop in a F2P game, selling lots of ingame features, or even special instanced content, but this isn't that.   This is a trial which forces you to pay to play most of the game.

verifiiiiiiiiiied!  2 games i payed over 50$ and got no compensation for after they flopped and got remade.  All Points Bulletin was the other.  Just Hoping FFXIV doesnt follow the same.  Alrd payed $80 for the collectors that cost only $25 now >.<

There is no such thing as compensation for any type of video game that "goes out of business". It's all in the fime print when you agree to buy the game. In this case the Original HG is all there... in it's entirety... for the price of a gallon of super unleaded gas.....

Originally posted by munecaroon

Yeah, in a MMO he can. But elves are originally a race of lesser gods in Norse mythology, already in Tolkien are they a lot more powerful than the balanced androgynus pointy ears we see in most MMOs. MMo elves comes from D&D.

A Norse elf could be the snot out of at least a lesser demon like an imp and probably and inkubus or suckubus as well. Not an archdemon of course.

Anyways: If Hellgate is so great, why did it flop so badly last time? What have they done to improve it?

Thanks for putting elves into the light they truely deserve! (Got a poster here showing Glorfindel facing a Balrog).

I can't answer your question about the first launch of HG: London since I only started to play when it was F2P.

Then they opened the formerly paid-for content like Stonehenge and shared storage for everyone and it was a very enjoyable game until the lights went out.

I can try to give some impressions on the new version though:

The new Hellgate has some new content like 2nd Attack which looks like a *Back from the future* thing to me (you meet a person who's dead in the main game).

There's a new mechanic that spawns a special boss once you've eliminated a given number of mobs on a map (e.g. kill 50 to spawn a messenger from hell).

Respawn overall is a lot faster. You see more loot too which can fill your inventory quickly.

Skills have been revamped to v2.0. Overall, I'd say it's a boost rather than a nerf. Classes seem to go stronger now.

Achievements (think: perks) actually add some real bonus if you slot them.

A major drawback is the way how gear works now it's very hard to equip powerful stuff without spending most if not all stat points and along with that it's easy to mess up your *build* once you'll hit max level.

It's called stat-feed, it's not new but the cost for item attributes have gone up a lot.

I'm holding back my final judgement until I see a stable server and less buggy gameplay.

It's called balance - that way you can't equip all uniques and Mythics in every slot. Forces you to make some trade-offs.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

So, I'm pretty uniformed when it comes to Hellgate. I know it was shut down at one point, and bought by an asian company some time down the road, but is this currently a live MMO (and can it even really be called an MMO)? Is this really only four bucks to play right now (complete game), or is there also a cash shop with somewhat manditory purchases? I ask because I've always been interested in what the hell was going on with Hellgate, and if it really is so cheap to try, I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869
    You can trade for an Act 3 ticket with in game cash and pay nothing. The price I saw in the marketplace was 350k. I almost have that already and not even half way through Act 2. I would have acquired much more in game cash if I had used the marketplace sooner.
  • korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by PosterTroll

Originally posted by marganculos

WTF you f*cktards stop complaining on every forums about "its not F2P" omg just for 4$ you have have FULL game... im so glad this trolls wont be in Hellgate lol :P because 4$ "omg i can buy 1 hamburger instead, hellgate is overpriced!".....

For real!  I mean seriously!  Devs need to paid and servers/expenses/updates need to be paid for? Nooooooo 

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with this generation?! I mean, heaven forbid that you should actually pay some fucking money for your hobby entertainment!

It's F2P up to a certain point, call it what you like. What's the big deal? Stop bitching about assumed developer lies and conspiracies, and get a damn job.

Some say F2P is the future of gaming. I think it will be the end of our hobby.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by korvass

Originally posted by PosterTroll

Originally posted by marganculos

WTF you f*cktards stop complaining on every forums about "its not F2P" omg just for 4$ you have have FULL game... im so glad this trolls wont be in Hellgate lol :P because 4$ "omg i can buy 1 hamburger instead, hellgate is overpriced!".....

For real!  I mean seriously!  Devs need to paid and servers/expenses/updates need to be paid for? Nooooooo 

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with this generation?! I mean, heaven forbid that you should actually pay some fucking money for your hobby entertainment!

It's F2P up to a certain point, call it what you like. What's the big deal? Stop bitching about assumed developer lies and conspiracies, and get a damn job.

Some say F2P is the future of gaming. I think it will be the end of our hobby.

Well said - its just embarrassing whats going on ...

• korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

The thing is, it's not about misinformation, or companies lying to us. If you search hard enough on a game's site, you will find it's terms and conditions.

If a company offers you F2P, in any form, take advantage of it. Don't complain about it. And don't jump on the "they lied to us, 'cus it's not 'True F2P'" bandwagon because you couldn't be bothered to do your own research.

Listen up:

Whining about F2P does not make you a concerned consumer. It makes you a freeloader.

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

come on guys, we all know that the label 'F2P' on some games is nothing more than marketing. i can't belive that there are still some people out here who do not know that. not only the companies also the so called analysts of the market (f.e. this one) use the term 'F2P' for nothing else than 'unlimited but restricted trial time'. ok, its not really your fault, but a good example how effectiv marketing and the media can be. even mmorpg.com writers adopted this term back at the time when they announced the new subsription model of dungeon & dragons (the first high quality or so called triple a mmorpg which switched to a new subscription model) and still do. 'freemium' is the term some of us use to describe this subscription model to avoid misunderstandings.

and when these analysts are talking about 'f2p is the future of mmogs' they don't think of runes of magic, atlantica online or any other original as f2p designed mmog, they think about a mmog with 'unlimited but restricted trial time, the possibility to upgrage your account to premium status for a monthly fee and a cashshop with cosmetic items'. all reports i saw (incl. the newzoo gaming report 2010) point out that the majority of mmorpg-players (this doesn't include social games / browser games) welcome f2p as unlimited trial time to get a better look at a game, but don't want a pure f2p cashmodel because it mostly support 'pay to win'.

well, sorry to be so far off topic. hellgate global is nice but not my taste. maybe a good choice for people who only have limited time to jump right into the action.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

The $4 Act 3 ticket doesn't bother me nearly as much as the time restricted inventory increasing items and the yet to be added ones that increase your chance of success at the item forges.  I don't mind buying inventory space once in a F2P game but it bugs me a lot to have to do it every 15-30 days and the way you improves items in this game screams pay to win.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Entrance fee is only $4. Why would anyone play the SP version for free when, for the price of a gallon of US gasoline in Alaska, you can take a trip to Hell and enjoy all the extra content?

Because the SP version is actually a closer approximation of the game we enjoyed before then this new abomination called Hellgate Global.

This version of the game is a hollow shell of what it once was.

• OgdinOgdin Member UncommonPosts: 17

It is a solid game when it works,remove the 2 reasons not to play it..... bugs and a horribly overloaded  server and then we can look at the 12 reasons to try it out again.

If your on the side that likes it great. If your on the side that doesn't,thats great.If your on the side that will argue til your face turns blue about pointless this or that comparisons,you've come to the right gaming site.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by Erolat

Originally posted by monstermmo

Originally posted by steelrain666

One ticket subscription allows a player to enter a specific area and dungeon after Hellgate's Act 2 (Starting at Waterloo Bridge). It gives players the access to continue quests and experience a whole new game play. The Ticket subscription is your gateway to hell's eternity. The ticket is eternal and everlasting.

Areas that will be unlocked after ticket1 usage:

- Act 3

- Act 4

- Act 5

- 2nd Attack

- Abyss

- Stonehenge

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You would have to buy 6 tickets to unlock everything...

No.

1 ticket gives access to all that.

Its $4.

When they first posted it up the wording was very iffy and confused people. Theyve updated and clarified tho.

*One ticket subscription allows for all characters from one account to enter one expansion. "

It clearly states that one ticket gets access to one area, not all areas. And sure, it is only $24 to get access to all areas, but for how long? Eventually I would think  that they will have expansions.  How much will those cost?

The part that drives me away from this is the section above the quoted text.  The game may be Cheap2P (not quite F2P) but it is pay-to-win.  Any time you can spend cash to get items not avalialbe in game, that have a direct affect on how effective you are in combat, the game becomes about who can spend the most.  It is no longer about how good an indivual player is.

Think whatever you want about it and warp the words all you want, what is fact is fact. It is literally $4 to get into act3 and play the rest of the current game. The only other ticket we may have to buy is for Tokyo (which is even more content that wasn't in original HG:L.). Tokyo isn't even out yet, so we don't even know for sure if it's going to cost more for that, or be covered from the $4 act 3 entrance ticket.

Also, P2W? How the hell do you P2W in a pve based game? Oh man, he beat your boss fight by 5 seconds. Holy shit. Better quit this game. Besides, you can buy the ticket with in game money. So you can play through to the end without spending a dime.

It mostly flopped due to management issues, and failure to manage money.

Originally posted by korvass

The thing is, it's not about misinformation, or companies lying to us. If you search hard enough on a game's site, you will find it's terms and conditions.

If a company offers you F2P, in any form, take advantage of it. Don't complain about it. And don't jump on the "they lied to us, 'cus it's not 'True F2P'" bandwagon because you couldn't be bothered to do your own research.

Listen up:

Whining about F2P does not make you a concerned consumer. It makes you a freeloader.

+1

• Ardamax420Ardamax420 Member Posts: 1

Uh, YOU GUYS DO KNOW THE SUBSCRIPTION TICKETS ARE FREE NOW RIGHT?

in the first station when u make a char in Hellgate Global, an NPC gives u the tickets to unlock everythng for your account FREE....

Stop whining and start playing hellgate global! u no longer have to pay!

• SereneBlueSereneBlue Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Ardamax420

Uh, YOU GUYS DO KNOW THE SUBSCRIPTION TICKETS ARE FREE NOW RIGHT?

in the first station when u make a char in Hellgate Global, an NPC gives u the tickets to unlock everythng for your account FREE....

Stop whining and start playing hellgate global! u no longer have to pay!

If this is true I'll start playing again! My BF and I played Hellgate together online back when it was still under Flagship's control. We were there up to the very second Flagship flipped the switch and shut off the servers.

Good memories. It was a good game.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

So what you dont like is that fact that you cant paly the entire game for nothing?
    Basically you want them to give you the game they brought  for god knows how much for nothing.

I see..

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Caldrin

So what you dont like is that fact that you cant paly the entire game for nothing?
    Basically you want them to give you the game they brought  for god knows how much for nothing.

I see..

People that bought the game had already bought that content, now they want us to pay for it again. Its a pay to win game anyway.