Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pros and Cons of LoL/HoN?

tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Been playing both for a few days now, and I can't decide which game I'd like to invest my cash/time into. To me both the games feel almost identical, so from a newbie perspective, it's hard to pick one over the other. I could play both, but my gaming time won't stretch that far. HoN obviously looks the prettiest but LoL has a graphics update soon, so this isn't an issue really.

So, could someone who is experienced in both games give a basic overview/rundown of the pros and cons of both the games please?

I like both LoL and HoN so this isn't a debate for which is better, and I'm hoping mmorpg.com include a HoN forum sometime soon. ;)

Cheers.

Comments

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by tachgb

Been playing both for a few days now, and I can't decide which game I'd like to invest my cash/time into. To me both the games feel almost identical, so from a newbie perspective, it's hard to pick one over the other. I could play both, but my gaming time won't stretch that far. HoN obviously looks the prettiest but LoL has a graphics update soon, so this isn't an issue really.

So, could someone who is experienced in both games give a basic overview/rundown of the pros and cons of both the games please?

I like both LoL and HoN so this isn't a debate for which is better, and I'm hoping mmorpg.com include a HoN forum sometime soon. ;)

Cheers.

Its probably not wise to invest in HoN simply because when DotA 2 comes out HoN will be forgotten quickly.  DotA 2 may also steal a lot of players from LoL as well, but should survive simply because of the massive player base. 

If you can only spend money on 1 game I would recommend playing LoL for free, then spending money on DotA 2 when its released.

• seifer93seifer93 Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by servedogg

Originally posted by tachgb

Cheers.

Its probably not wise to invest in HoN simply because when DotA 2 comes out HoN will be forgotten quickly.  DotA 2 may also steal a lot of players from LoL as well, but should survive simply because of the massive player base. 

If you can only spend money on 1 game I would recommend playing LoL for free, then spending money on DotA 2 when its released.

QFT. HON is a nice game, but it will be forgotten soon enough.

I play LoL quite a bit, so I can give you some Pros and Cons there.

Pros:

Free 2 Play (all content minus skins can be attained for free)

Constantly updated

LOADS of characters

Made by the creators of the massively popular DotA (the concept behind both LoL and HoN)

Cons:

Free 2 Play ( Farming money can be a pain and you will be compelled to use IRL money.)

Server goes down every once in a while

Generally negitive community

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Where is the logic behind not buying a game now because another game will come out in 6-10 months?

• YanniszYannisz Member Posts: 11

From someone that has been playing both very much at a high level I can also confirm LOL is the ONLY MOBA genre game that is bound to survive some time.

Just an example the last MLG Colombus tourney had 80K Starcraft 2 stream viewers (and they had a mission of koreans over from Seoul...) and the LOL stream had 200K + so.... as you can see its a booming community.

Yes it is free so full of children, yes they will flame you so you need to have a thick skin and play for fun and not take them seriously.

Yes you have to farm but its fun to not max out level 30 the first week you play....

Now a question to all of you..... When is DOTA 2 ballparked out ?

Games Developer / Game Trailer Director

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

LoL has a lot more people playing and Riot (maker of LoL) actually is putting money where their mouth is and sponsoring various tournements.

So I think LoL will be around longer than HoN.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by Arcona

Where is the logic behind not buying a game now because another game will come out in 6-10 months?

I brought up DotA 2 mostly because its going to make HoN obsolete very quickly; however, that does leave LoL as the only current viable alternative which is free anyways.  

So, the reason you wouldn't buy HoN is not because you want to make another purchase at a later date.  The reason you don't want to buy HoN is because it has no future.

• ntegernteger Member UncommonPosts: 13

LOL is a much higher quality product. It is supported better, updated more, has a much better community (even despite having a pretty lousy one sometimes), and the dev team is much more creative. HON is essentially a clone of DOTA just with different names and while the graphics may be better than LOL's, the engine is a piece of crap and the animations are very choppy. Also, the community sucks in HON. Did I mention HON's community is terrible?

• awiaawia Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by nteger

LOL is a much higher quality product. It is supported better, updated more, has a much better community (even despite having a pretty lousy one sometimes), and the dev team is much more creative. HON is essentially a clone of DOTA just with different names and while the graphics may be better than LOL's, the engine is a piece of crap and the animations are very choppy. Also, the community sucks in HON. Did I mention HON's community is terrible?

Um, yea dont listen to this guy, last time i checked Lol doesnt even have a pause feature or a spectator mode. Hon is updated every 2 weeks, the devs are very active. Hon also went f2p like a day ago, so yea you have to grind heroes now.

serious riot sucks at developing.....this was at their E3

"Hey guys we got 3 new TANKS coming!, oh yeah we also got spectator mode coming soon too"

and that was it, very creative, and S2's engine is far better than riots, it even have built in voice chat, it is stupid for a competitive game to come out without voice chat, spectator mode, or pause feature.

Originally posted by awia

Um, yea dont listen to this guy, last time i checked Lol doesnt even have a pause feature or a spectator mode. Hon is updated every 2 weeks, the devs are very active. Hon also went f2p like a day ago, so yea you have to grind heroes now.

"Hey guys we got 3 new TANKS coming!, oh yeah we also got spectator mode coming soon too"

and that was it, very creative, and S2's engine is far better than riots, it even have built in voice chat, it is stupid for a competitive game to come out without voice chat, spectator mode, or pause feature.

HON has a couple of features LoL doesn't, the issue is that HON usually has around 60k people around playing while LoL easily has 500k at a peak hour.

Other part is that existing HoN players who spent their $40 are a bit upset with the 'spend money or you are 2 champion behind' issue they have.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

HON has a couple of features LoL doesn't, the issue is that HON usually has around 60k people around playing while LoL easily has 500k at a peak hour.

Other part is that existing HoN players who spent their $40 are a bit upset with the 'spend money or you are 2 champion behind' issue they have.

It doesnt matter how many people are playing at peak hour because at the end of the day only 10 people can play in a game. When you have to go through loopholes and 3rd party programs to do things a basic competitive game is supposed to do then the game has a problem. There was even an issue where a team lost a shot at $100,000 at a major tournament because one of their players disconected for  minutes, and people want to take this game seriously

It doesnt matter how many people are playing at peak hour because at the end of the day only 10 people can play in a game. When you have to go through loopholes and 3rd party programs to do things a basic competitive game is supposed to do then the game has a problem. There was even an issue where a team lost a shot at $100,000 at a major tournament because one of their players disconected for  minutes, and people want to take this game seriously

Irony is that HoN developer S2 doesn't (or can't) host tournaments LoL developer Riot does.

The number of players playing a game is something someone might look for before deciding what to play.

Esp if the numbers are 8-10 times larger.

At the end of the day, I have respect for Riot for actually putting a sizable sum by hosting these tournements and trying to grow e-sports.

Gdemami -

Irony is that HoN developer S2 doesn't (or can't) host tournaments LoL developer Riot does.

The number of players playing a game is something someone might look for before deciding what to play.

At the end of the day, I have respect for Riot for actually putting a sizable sum by hosting these tournements and trying to grow e-sports.

I have respect for them too for growing E-sports but i hate the way they treat their game like shit

and S2 have released information that they are going to do a tournament with a huge prize pool also

I admit that when it comes to marketing Riot shits all over S2, thats for sure.

• ad0102ad0102 Member UncommonPosts: 6

have u tried both games? i do, both min. 6 moths and i am a gamer maniac and active community, i choose LoL, period, more then enough.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I love customization and "looks" that don't matter but look different.

I don't think HoN has anything.  Hey, I'm terrible at these sorts of games, but I found LoL a hell of a lot better.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Originally posted by ad0102

have u tried both games? i do, both min. 6 moths and i am a gamer maniac and active community, i choose LoL, period, more then enough.

Amd jeezus christ, your first post ever from 9/3/3.  Good lord.  And this is what you say!?

• HeftynewtHeftynewt Member UncommonPosts: 8

haha! ^

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

It's better to spend time in Hon because when Dota 2 comes you don't want bad habits created by league of legends. Hon is a game that is certainly easier to pick up than Dota, and will help you transition smoothly into that game.

League of legends would just teach you bad habits that will be hard to change and you'll probably suffer from that in Dota 2.

No idea wtf you're talking about, but there are tons of Hon tournaments. Riot didn't even get official tournament status in dreamhack while Hon got it, and will get it again this winter with a bigger prizepool, and Hon will be present in next NASL and MLG, and probably some more to come.

The number of players in this game only affects you in the number of games you might get per day. Hon is quite healthy and it's growing. Anyway, Dota 2 will take over soon so as I said before, playing LoL now will just create bad habits.

• Bad habits?  I'm sorry but, I don't think I'm learning any habits from a video game.

Originally posted by Ephimero

It's better to spend time in Hon because when Dota 2 comes you don't want bad habits created by league of legends. Hon is a game that is certainly easier to pick up than Dota, and will help you transition smoothly into that game.

League of legends would just teach you bad habits that will be hard to change and you'll probably suffer from that in Dota 2.

No idea wtf you're talking about, but there are tons of Hon tournaments. Riot didn't even get official tournament status in dreamhack while Hon got it, and will get it again this winter with a bigger prizepool, and Hon will be present in next NASL and MLG, and probably some more to come.

The number of players in this game only affects you in the number of games you might get per day. Hon is quite healthy and it's growing. Anyway, Dota 2 will take over soon so as I said before, playing LoL now will just create bad habits.

If we go by this logic, if I want to play Starcraft 2: expansion Heart of the Swarm in 2012, I shouldn't play CoH, C&C or WarHammer40k?

Huh?

Gdemami -

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Im curious about these "bad habits".

Besides; why do you people worry about the competitive scene, when none of you are actually in it? :).

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

dont know why the comparision cause league of legend have been beating wow for months now on xfire

and it would be way more populated ,the issue either they lack server (lol)or there is a bug in the way it handle queuing at those high number!

• blood87blood87 Member Posts: 32

for the starter of the thread:

HoN actaully has that old DOTA feel and if you really enjoyed the awesome WC3 mod then it would probably be the way to go.

I was never a big fan of DOTA but i love LOL, although its essentily the same game i find LOL to be more a hero vs hero game in terms of gameplay, a bit more forgiving when it comes to other mechanics and generally easier to follow fights with particles and animations so you see exactly whats going on instead of the cluster of effects i feel from HoN.

so in short if you want DOTA go for HoN, if you want DOTA with some tweaked settings that allow for more hero vs hero core gameplay choose LoL.

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by blood87

for the starter of the thread:

HoN actaully has that old DOTA feel and if you really enjoyed the awesome WC3 mod then it would probably be the way to go.

I was never a big fan of DOTA but i love LOL, although its essentily the same game i find LOL to be more a hero vs hero game in terms of gameplay, a bit more forgiving when it comes to other mechanics and generally easier to follow fights with particles and animations so you see exactly whats going on instead of the cluster of effects i feel from HoN.

so in short if you want DOTA go for HoN, if you want DOTA with some tweaked settings that allow for more hero vs hero core gameplay choose LoL.

Not only that, but I like the AP/AD/AS and MR/Armor system much better than the stat system. This way skills can be more than just cc later on, and can actually nuke. Instead of autoattacking to win.

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

a few minor thing i noticed in HON is being able to deny creep and towers. Preventing the opponent from getting xp and money. This adds a little bit of more skill when playing. Also in LOL you have the teleport back spell and sumoner spells. Where in HON you have to buy the teleport back as an item and the sumoner spells are not there but in items as abilities.

I prefer HON over LOL, not a fan of the artstyle of LOL and it seems like LOL is the more casual friendly game. But the people in HON are pretty bad for talkin a lot of B.S.

• getonagetona Member UncommonPosts: 98

If your gonna play DotA 2 just play hon. HoN is a faster version of DotA and abit more imba.

when i mean fast i mean like hp/gameplay not how long u spend per game. usually its very long.. 40min avg.

i havnt seen a short hon game. dota 15min-60min.

LoL and DotA have different gamestyle stop comparing which one is better, its stupid. its like comparing a 3v3v3 game with 5v5 game.