Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge: Jake Song Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArcheAge is one of the most highly-rated and highly-anticipated games capturing our readers' attention here at MMORPG.com. Our own Garrett Fuller had the privilege to interview XLGames' CEO and President Jake Song to talk about ArcheAge. They covered a wide variety of topics and it's definitely a must-read for eager fans of ArcheAge.

ArcheAge has become a highly anticipated MMO, can you give us a short overview of the game?

ArcheAge is the Real Blockbuster MMORPG, in development by XLGAMES since 2006. There are many aspects of ArcheAge such as the realistic graphics, solid game scenarios, and the massive world. We are trying to make ArcheAge a game where players can make their own content by themselves instead of just consuming the content already made by the game developer.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's ArcheAge: Jake Song Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Sounds good to me

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

"Especially free PvP is favoured by some but hated by some others. So in ArcheAge there is the trial and jail system. Players who kill another player will be put under a trial by the other players and be judged whether the activity was reasonable or not."

This is going to be a funny mechanic : "you sir have been deemed to be in a drunken state, whereby you walked out of your house into your neighbours field thinking it was yours, and then proceeded to cut his crops down while singing loudly about a barmaid that left your for a warthog, how do you plead ?" "not guilty", "you will now be judged", (other players) "death penalty"...

Sounds like good stuff cant wait to try this game out.

• TalElyTalEly Member CommonPosts: 5

For the first time in my life, I think I regret not being a Korean...

• BunkafishBunkafish Member Posts: 57

This game looks so epic, hopefully everything comes together as planned. 

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

of course it does. As CEO, he has to say good things. Otherwise, noone would play it?

It sounds good, but i feel like, there will be a huge grind involved again. And we hate all grind, since nowadays times matter alot, doesnt it?

• FragManDanFragManDan Member Posts: 13

Koreans Westernizing... This should be entertaining.

• GweniviereGweniviere Member Posts: 30

Grind? I don't mind grind if it's a means to an end. I mean, grinding mats for a house/guild hall....Not really a grind....Killing monsters/players for skill increase...Not really a grind. Killing monsters/players cuz there is nothing else to do....That's a grind.

UO-EQ-L2-EQ2-VG-WoW-DDO-GW-AoC-LoTR-WAR-Aion
    Currently playing: Rift
    Waiting for: EQN

• cdubbzcdubbz Member UncommonPosts: 57

I'm somewhat skeptical, since it's hard to keep me interested in an mmo for long, but the interesting semi-classless system, the jail system, and the world so far get my approval. Can't wait to actually try this puppy out.

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Has this article been checked for spelling and/or grammar?

As for the game, sounds like a korean grindfest with your own content added onto it. Plus the fact it has that pvp system... No thanks.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

I can't see the trial and jail system working. If anything that kind of mechanic is going to lead to more greifing and abuse than comes with standard pking in sandbox games.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

ArcheAge and this http://www.mmoculture.com/2011/03/darkness-and-light-epic-mmo-in-making.html our the two main MMO i am looking forward to over the next couple of years.

And to think both are Asian or one is a remade western mmo by Asian devs.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

"The answer is half yes and half no. In ArheAge, players can attack another player if they wish and can steal crops that the other user raised. Such sandbox features can give fun, but it can create conflict and disputes between players, and might damage the game play. Especially free PvP is favored by some but hated by some others. So in ArcheAge there is the trial and jail system. Players who kill another player will be put under a trial by the other players and be judged whether the activity was reasonable or not."

To bad another sandbox that under estimates peoples ability to cheat and exploit.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

This game is sounding better and better

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

Trial by players? That's a horrible idea. "I was defending myself!" "Yeah, but you said something me and my friends didn't like on the forums, so off with your head!" Etc. The number of ways with which to abuse this system are staggering.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

did everyone ignore the 10 skills thing... what does that mean? 10 skill trees?

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

I can't see the trial and jail system working. If anything that kind of mechanic is going to lead to more greifing and abuse than comes with standard pking in sandbox games.

LOL you people assume to much in a game you never played... its an indie not an AAA where they follow a scipt they do what you want a and gamers want, being in game design I had an idea like this for a wild west game, it will work if you do it right and have anti griefing where certain choices can't be picked.

Example, someone killed someone one time, death, wrong, if it was someone killing , and killing, aka griefing then you get an option to say death. But if it then then get jail, for ex amount of time , or and some big fees, even have it where your friends /guild can get you out by raiding that town. Etc.

So stop assuming things , gamers today have no pataince and expect the world... Go to school and you would understand what it takes to make these games, and what you can do.. I did.. I know now.. But I never whined like alot of people do .

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by Bunnyking

Has this article been checked for spelling and/or grammar?

As for the game, sounds like a korean grindfest with your own content added onto it. Plus the fact it has that pvp system... No thanks.

Thats why you guys have games like LOTR, WOW, so people who do enjoy sandbox's and PVP can in peace.  Don't understand why people are so afraid of losing there items , there not items where you can't replace, they all think of WOW and thing OMG!! I may lose my epic sword! Rofl.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Reading that I see it's not going to be the second coming of UO type MMO gaming using the wonders of tech power we have at our hands today. Good luck creating a MMO that appeals to Western gamers using Korean only gamer feedback.  Koreans have a different gaming culture and  tastes, even more so when it comes to MMO's.  Darkfall has nothing to worry, it seems you get a mount for good in Archage, pvp is tab target, it sounds like no full loot, so they'll be gear whore and the gear grind. It sound like there's far too much Themepark with some sand thrown on the side. Darkfall has nothing to worry if AV get the Arena project right as DF will still offer the full on open world pvp world sandbox niche, as will MO for those that have come to like that MMO.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

LOL you people assume to much in a game you never played... its an indie not an AAA where they follow a scipt they do what you want a and gamers want, being in game design I had an idea like this for a wild west game, it will work if you do it right and have anti griefing where certain choices can't be picked.

Example, someone killed someone one time, death, wrong, if it was someone killing , and killing, aka griefing then you get an option to say death. But if it then then get jail, for ex amount of time , or and some big fees, even have it where your friends /guild can get you out by raiding that town. Etc.

So stop assuming things , gamers today have no pataince and expect the world... Go to school and you would understand what it takes to make these games, and what you can do.. I did.. I know now.. But I never whined like alot of people do .

An example of how human nature will abuse it take a look at how the you tube report abuse system is exploited. Humans are tribal and stay in their camps and move as one against a common threat, this system will fall victim to this.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

We are trying to make ArcheAge a game where players can make their own content by themselves instead of just consuming the content already made by the game developer.

...players gave feedback that the gameplay environment in the early levels is not satisfying. I think this is because we developed the end content of the game first...

Those two statements right there tell me that finally somebody understands how to make an mmorpg.

• JaxaarJaxaar Member Posts: 73

I wanna play this game now :(

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99

the amount of terrible MMOs that came out of asian region is just staggering; they don't just test for koreans only, the game itself is designed for asian players period.

look at Aion, they sure westernize that game; it was the same as the chinese  version and the korean version. The only difference was the language! They are no such thing as westernizing an asian mmo. they're bad, no matter how much effort they put into the graphics.

I've played so many MMOs from asia, none of them kept my attention because they're bad.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Sounds interesting, and beautiful screenshots.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

I sense a bit too many roleplaying elements, but most of it sounds good so far.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by Tailz2k7

did everyone ignore the 10 skills thing... what does that mean? 10 skill trees?

There are 10 classes in ArcheAge.

Fight, Adament, Death, Magic, Romance, Illusion, Will, Wild, Vocation, Love. By combining 3 of those classes you can technically create your own class. Each class has a set of skills that you can learn too.

You'll find more details on the classes here: http://www.archeage.com/en/contents/gameIntros/11