Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still a buggy, annoying mess

AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

Was one of the first to play AoC in 2008 - left after 3 months, given the annoyances and bugs.

Returned this weekend, figuring 3 years would be enough time to stablize the game & put in a couple of quality-of-life type enhancements.

Nope.

Here I am, 3 years later, on a different computer, different OS (ya, updated video drivers and de-fragg'ed disk - don't even go there) and the damn game freezes in under 5 minutes of play. 

So, I give you all my strongest recommendation - stay away from this never-ending train wreck.   It's still a buggy, annoying mess.

Comments

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

That's weird considering I can play it for hours on end (with everything on max) without any problems. Maybe you need to lower your settings. My computer specs are in my sig if your wondering, just click on it.

• LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

I can understand frustration when something is wrong and the game isn't working as it should. But before putting all the blame on Funcom consider this; myself and the vast majority of players run the game without any hang ups. I am not much of a techie but I have seen many problems solved on the AoC tech support forums. 

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

Originally posted by Alalala

Was one of the first to play AoC in 2008 - left after 3 months, given the annoyances and bugs.

Returned this weekend, figuring 3 years would be enough time to stablize the game & put in a couple of quality-of-life type enhancements.

Nope.

Here I am, 3 years later, on a different computer, different OS (ya, updated video drivers and de-fragg'ed disk - don't even go there) and the damn game freezes in under 5 minutes of play. 

So, I give you all my strongest recommendation - stay away from this never-ending train wreck.   It's still a buggy, annoying mess.

You must be doing somthing wrong mate , i run it at max settings and play for hours and ive never had a hangup ... may i ask your current computer specs please.

One basic is to be certain you have all the Microsoft Direct X stuff installed.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

The only reason why any pc totally freezes is to prevent harware damage. 10 bucks says your cpu cooler is loose or your too inept to realise you need one and are proceeding to melt the socket out of the motherboard.

either way stop posting drivel.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Never had any problem with the game freezing or anything. Sorry this happend to you OP but it sounds like some sort of conflict with your particular computer setup and the game.

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

If it locks up your entire computer and forces you to hard boot, then it is more than likely a hardware problem. With Windows 7, even if my video card driver crashes, the system will try to restart the video card driver for me and continue on it's marry way or forces me to bring up the task manager to kill off the task. If it software related and then more than likely, your computer would show a blue screen and reset instead (unless you have it never auto-reset on BSOD).

I did have the same problem that you have now though. For me, my issue was a faulty nVidia 9600GT. I did RMA it with EVGA. However, when I got the replacement card and pulled it out the of box, some of the precision resistors fell off the replacement board. I was sooo pissed that I just went out and bought an AMD 5770 to replace it. All of my problems went away after that.

This is not to say that it's your video card. It could be RAM or a faulty power supply too. But it does sound like you may have a hardware issue.

• KaylessKayless Member UncommonPosts: 357

Less drama please. It's you!

I played all day Sunday no problem at all. Is that what you wanted to hear? image

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I had one CTD so far, which happened while zoning. I run max settings and it runs very smooth. With the amount of hours Ive put into AoC (couple of weeks now), I cant say that the client feels unstable. But then a different hardware setup might encounter problems if the client would be unstable.

However, it sounds more like a hardware issue if your pc locks up that fast after starting to play. I would check cpu fan and power unit like others suggested.

• VantrasVantras Member Posts: 124

Recently returned and re-rolled.  Having a great time!  Found a solid RP guild-enjoying that.  Leveling a brand new Khitan Guardian-enjoying that.  Pretty intrigued by the AA system, Feats, various faction quests, using veteran points, the active RP community and the new Godslayer content. 

I actually find AOC to be one of the more solid fantasy MMO's on the market-way underrated at this point.  I am hopeful that FTP and new server/ruleset gives many folks the oppurtunity to take a look at it.

I believe if you are already bored with RIFT, have spent way to much time on WoW, LOTRO, EQ2 or WAR than AOC is a fantastic option.  Certainly going to hold me over for the summer and perhaps until Star Wars, Tera etc release.

As for crashes?  Id think you would have to be around 9 years old to think "hey-i crash every 5 minutes-this game sucks-i'll bet EVERYONE else is and has been crashing all these years too!". 

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Like everyone else in this thread, i'm running AoC maxed out with no lag, no crashes and maximum fun.

Sounds like the OP has issues with hardware as the game is fine.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

Nope.

You are either a liar or a very unlucky person with a specific problem. Maybe both.

• TekkamanTekkaman Member UncommonPosts: 158

It's funny that I built 4-5 computers for family members and friends to play this game specifically in the $600-900 price range and every single one of them ran the game fine at launch with the random issue here and there once a week. Now? The game is like suicidal hot butter purposely falling onto a warm katana. It's that easy to run.

I don't think the OP is lying or trolling, I think he has a specific issue either hardware or software that is preventing his computer from running the game.

• AceundorAceundor Member Posts: 482

Everybody that is not able to run AoC today has one or more of these problems:

1) There is a  problem with their specific PC be it HW or SW

2) They have an old pc or graphics card

3) They are lying or trolling

The reason for this is simple. SInce 2008 Funcom has fixed crashes and problems again and again and again. They have polished the game and tested it on numerous rigs. There is of course a small chance that there are a specific compitability problem out there but I find that chances for that are quite remote. In other words: READ MY SIG

Originally posted by BishopB:

Are a lot of the trolls just angry kids with old gaming hardware?

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

OP, fix your puter.

I've installed this game on several computers over the years and installed it again on my laptop only 2 weeks ago.

Never had a problem on any machine.

Just a thought though, I have problems with more recent versions of Nvidia drivers and need to use pretty old ones. That's not just AOC though, it is the same with all.

You might try older drivers and ignore the warning that AOC hits you with on startup.

• lars1134lars1134 Member Posts: 106

I would have to agree with some people who posted above me. I do think that many bugs are caused because of aged hardware and I hope that the OP might realise just that.

The game has improved massively and almost every bug that was posted was eventualy solved. I think that Funcom has done a great job making this game playable and attrictive to play again. It certainly got me back after it went F2P, and as for today I even subbed again. I am content with the current content and it's quality, and I hope that people are able to see the good things that happened.

And yes, I know that making an game with no bugs is impossible, the only thing that matters in my eyes is the playablility that I experience. Having quests that do not solve, some area that you can't reach, or anything else is game breaking for me. All those ,in my eyes, game breaking bugs have been solved.

I wish Funcom the best, and hope that they can continue to solve bugs that other people experience as game-breaking. But shouldnt we all compare the state in which the game was when we left to the current state? In my eyes, it has skyrocketed in a good way.

• StuporityStupority Member Posts: 53

I've had my share of reboots & freezes in the past (with various games). Each and every time it has turned out to be an issue with either a too small a power (eg. after upgrading into a the latest and greatest GPU) or a temperature/cooling problem for some component (e.g. GPU, motherboard/CPU) which as others have pointed out leads to a shutdown. I'd use e.g. BurnInTest for checking for systematic problems and Argus Monitor to check out how the temperature behaves is in varioud parts of the computer while playing.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I love it.

Your computer freezes so you tell everyone in the world to stay away from the game.

Don't you think that if the game froze for everyone in under an hour that the game... I don't know... wouldn't exist anymore? I believe Funcom would do something if the game was in that kind of condition.

No, my friend.... your computer has problems.

• WikingDKWikingDK Member UncommonPosts: 50

Well I also started to play AoC at launch. And yes back then, there where many bugs and performance problems.

But the game have come a long way, since then and today the game runs smooth and with no problems.

So please dont flame the game, because of your bad hardware.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Since returning 3 months ago (after the Dreamworks engine update) I can run everything on max settings and have never frozen or seen any other graphical glitches. Even Khitai which was notoriously poorly optimised runs smoothly at 60fps.

I would say its your hardware, not the game. Try turning down the graphics if your computer cant handle it. 

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Yeah AoC looks very nice now. The one Issue I have with it, if I can call it that, is the crafting and itemization still needs more apperence types. I know with the vanity gear now you can cover it up with non state armor for the look, but it's not a substitute for a better selection. Still the game is getting better.

• highjackhighjack Member Posts: 4

I also came back to it  and the game runs stable as can be , i had it hang once during a loading screen in 2 weeks (on what mmo does this sort of thing not happen every now and then ?)

better yet the whole game runs at a much higher fps and i can even run it with full DX10 and screen space ambient occlusion and ahve a better framerate then before witouth that effect on, something that reall costed me fps before the engine overhaul.

check your system there is bound to be something wrong somewhere.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Nope.

Review your computer, your settings, your net connection. My game runs fine on high definitions.

• splitcoldsplitcold Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I love it.

Your computer freezes so you tell everyone in the world to stay away from the game.

Don't you think that if the game froze for everyone in under an hour that the game... I don't know... wouldn't exist anymore? I believe Funcom would do something if the game was in that kind of condition.

No, my friend.... your computer has problems.

Well said, game runs great on my computer.