Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: Freedom Interview with Brian Clayton

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The announcement that City of Heroes was adopting a free-to-play revenue model was met with a lot of excitement in the MMO world. MMORPG.com's Garrett Fuller had the opportunity to chat with City of Heroes Executive Producer Brian Clayton about "Freedom". Check it out!

How can players spend their Paragon Points? What items and services will be available?

Paragon Points can be spent at the new in-game store called the Paragon Market. Players can use Paragon Points to buy all sorts of great stuff like costumes, powers, server transfers, a slew of cool new consumable items and much more. For example, players will be able to purchase server transfers for 800 Paragon Points, or the Magic Costume Set for 400 Paragon Points. These prices are still being adjusted with feedback from our closed beta testers.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's City of Heroes: Freedom Interview with Brian Clayton.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

so stoked for this. easily one of the best MMOs on the market

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

I generally don't like paying for more than one MMO at a time.  This freemium thing is awesome for me.  I can sub to EVE and play a bunch of other high quality games at the same time, paying when I want.  I call this a win!

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

I guess it never entered your mind to ask when freedom was planned to start? No?

These guys should let actual mmo players ask them questions. Not saying they were, but it seems like your question were probably given to you to ask by Brian Clayton himself.

Maybe before an interview ask us what questions we would like to have asked?

• ronpackronpack Member Posts: 138
    Can't wait til this comes out.
  • SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THIS GAME

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by syrusmag3

CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THIS GAME

They have a 7 day free trial that will at least let you sample the game before it goes F2P

• quartzeye20quartzeye20 Member Posts: 1

I have to say tht the first ward needs to have a wider level range maybe 20-30 or 20-35

• PapamacPapamac Member UncommonPosts: 162

I began playing CoH during its headstart, in 2004, and subscribed for about 2 years after that.  Since then, I've gone back to the game several times, usually after the introduction of a new issue, just to see what the changes were like.

I always enjoyed the game, but it just felt a little too "shallow" for my tastes.

After my last re-sub visit, I logged onto the forums and posted a message.  In it, I suggested that the best way to ensure the longevity of the game was for the developers to adopt a free-to-play model, and to build in a "dungeon-finder"-type system for the radio (CoH) and newspaper (CoV) missions.

Let's just say that my suggestion was not appreciated by the few players who deemed to reply to my post.

It would appear that the devs (or at least the publishers) of CoX feel as I do.  It's a great game, but it suffers from low-population and any type of modern tool to get groups together.

The F2P model will definitely help with the low-pop problem.  Having more people on every server will definitely make forming (or joining) a group a lot easier.  I still believe that they should work on getting a robust dungeon- (or mission-) finder utility built.

Once both pieces of that puzzle are put into place, I firmly believe that it will breathe new life into this game, and will ensure that it'll be a money-maker for several more years.

This is one CoX vet that is looking forward to the new Freedom model.

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

I tried out the game via the 7 day free trial a few months ago and was very impressed, but I don't game enough these days to warrant a subscription.  I was sort of hoping this one would change to a fremium model sometime soon, and extremely happy when the news was released.

Looking forward to getting back into the game with the freedom of spending a bit now and then on items, but not being tied to a monthly sub.

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

I'm waiting for CoH2 though it looks like a lonnnnnnng wait. If ever.  CoH looks old and stale.  My characters look like they are made from boxes now. Yea yea they always looked like that.

But I've moved on.

New games with pretty people.

Have spoiled me.

Thier new graphics mode was very underwelming. Some stuff got shiney and look shadows!!

But now its going f2p!

So I can hang out in Pocket D on my lv 50s and watch men playing girls doing erotic roleplay with underaged gay vampires who are hiding from thier evil/good twin/mom/spouse/BFF/robot minion of justice, cause they did something really bad but it wasn't REALLY bad cause you know everything is grey so nothing is wrong so I'm going to erp to you all night long.

tehe

WELCOME TO CITY OF HEROS! STAY AWAY FROM POCKET D! unless your a pervert then COME TO POCKET D!!!

*runs from the angry Pocket D regulars*

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by travamars

I guess it never entered your mind to ask when freedom was planned to start? No?

These guys should let actual mmo players ask them questions. Not saying they were, but it seems like your question were probably given to you to ask by Brian Clayton himself.

Maybe before an interview ask us what questions we would like to have asked?

I think the release plan is for September/October based on the Developers' discussion after the announcement.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Cant wait to get into this once it goes F2P.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

"cool new consumable items"

That worries me.

Originally posted by helthros

"cool new consumable items"

That worries me.

Why does it worry you? 

"Consumable" 30 day jetpacks are already on sale in the current store for 4.99.

There's a veteran reward that can be used 5 times which grants a half level's worth of patrol experience when it is used.

Issue 20.5 has introduced vouchers and certifications that can be purchased with salvage (in-game drops) to unlock things for individual characters and account-wide, respectively.

So, what worries you?  There is no meaningful PvP in the game that you can pay2win.  And, there's no advantage to getting to endgame content faster, except having the opportunity to play it.  In general, anyone hurrying to endgame is bypassing the game, which to me is just silly.

When your whole game is basically about PvP....like Eve, then it's reasonable to worry about the effects of a cash shop.  Here though? Hakuna Matata.

• syberghostsyberghost Member UncommonPosts: 17

I find it interesting that the first thing they did to prepare for this was make similar changes to their development model as Cryptic has done, with the strike teams (which sound rougly similar to Cryptic's Content Pods) and empowered agile development.

I just hope they realize that locking people out of global chat is a deal-breaker to many. It's one of the major selling points of the competition, and CoH invented it; don't mess this up, Paragon.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

I've played this MMO a few times over the years, and while I found it enjoyable, it is rather shallow.  Hence, after about 2 months of playing, i'd end my subscription.  Yet, it was so well done that I find myself occasionally thinking about re-subbing and doing it again.  The F2P model will likely serve my needs and many others who would like to go back and play occasionally.  

Originally posted by SBE1

I've played this MMO a few times over the years, and while I found it enjoyable, it is rather shallow.  Hence, after about 2 months of playing, i'd end my subscription.  Yet, it was so well done that I find myself occasionally thinking about re-subbing and doing it again.  The F2P model will likely serve my needs and many others who would like to go back and play occasionally.  

And your return, even as a Premium consumer (previous subscriber not paying currently), would be welcomed -- more players in the game is always better ( ' :