Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can World of Warcraft be played on commodore 64?

HaoxHaox Member Posts: 9

I've been trying to find games that will play on my computer.          Most of the MMOs out there though have these good to great graphics,  so I know they won't play on my computer.              Warcraft on the other hand...  Looks like it may be able to.    Opinions?

Another game I'm looking into is Champions online.

Comments

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Lol no.  No recent online game will work on the Commodore 64.  That is the only computer you have available?  How are you even posting on this website....

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

A Commodore64 that actually works...still. Now thats rare.

And no, you need more than 34k free ram to play World of Warcraft or Champions Online. You couldn't even run the launcher for those games.

• glordglord Member UncommonPosts: 338

Its called Trolling deary.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Worstluck

Lol no.  No recent online game will work on the Commodore 64.  That is the only computer you have available?  How are you even posting on this website....

It's a troll post.

Just to stay on topic and avoid being warned for not doing so; Answer is no.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

Definitely not a Commodore 64. Maybe a Commodore 128 though. That thing has some major power. In the unlikely possibility that it wouldn't work on THAT then I'm afraid you'll have to upgrade to an Amiga 500. I'm pretty sure that'd be overkill for WoW though. Might have to run a CPU killer program to slow it down some.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Probably...I'm running it on my Timex Sinclair 1000 with Vector graphics monitor....it's sweet.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350

He might mean this:

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

That's based on Atom+Ion, so WoW would probably at least nominally run.  But Atom is really obsolete.  In fact, Atom is so obsolete that the next generation Cedar Trail Atom is already so obsolete as to be laughable, and it hasn't even launched yet.  If they had wanted to make it an actual, functional computer, they'd have shipped it with Zacate E-350 instead of Atom+Ion.  That would be faster, cheaper, and use less power.

Originally posted by Quizzical

He might mean this:

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

That's based on Atom+Ion, so WoW would probably at least nominally run.  But Atom is really obsolete.  In fact, Atom is so obsolete that the next generation Cedar Trail Atom is already so obsolete as to be laughable, and it hasn't even launched yet.  If they had wanted to make it an actual, functional computer, they'd have shipped it with Zacate E-350 instead of Atom+Ion.  That would be faster, cheaper, and use less power.

Wow..thanks for the link. I'm actually considering buying one as a backup pc for basic tasks and for troubleshooting via the internet when my main goes down. Brings back some fun memories. lol. Did I read it right...they have a library of classic 8bit and C64 games?.....that would be a hoot.

Do check the price tag on that:  $595 and up.  That will get you an awfully nice backup computer elsewhere, rather than hardware that isn't fast enough for a netbook from Commodore.

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

This isn't trolling if its a cleverly disguised advertising pitch..

I thought i read somewhere a few months ago that IBM re-released a new "version" of the commodore 64

pretty much the same design as the old commodore 64.. case and keyboard all in one.. but with newer technology.. and they were flooded with people ordering it.. might have been the economist magazine.. idk don't feel like googling ;p

but its entirely possible a "commodore" system can play any new age game... depends on how much IBM lets you customize your box.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Sure it can:)

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

Originally posted by jado818

This isn't trolling if its a cleverly disguised advertising pitch..

If it were clever advertising, he wouldn't have mentioned Champions Online.  The Atom processor in the new Commodore system might be able to get you 10 frames per second in Champions Online at minimum settings.  Maybe 15, but probably not.  That's not exactly playable, as it's a severe processor bottleneck.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

I'll wager there is some puter geek out there reading this scratching his head thinking "Challenge accepted"

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

idk.. i figure if somebody was really worried about gaming.. they would check the stats of the new "commodore" before they bought it from IBM

otherwise it just screams sales pitch to me ;p

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

I'll say yes, just because C64 was my first computard and full of awesomesaucewin.

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

Maybe.  My friend has a Tandy TL1000/2 that he says runs WoW on medium settings.  The trick is- there s a setting that allows you to boost the CPU speed.  It gives you a choice or 'Normal' or 'Fast'.  'Fast' is the setting necessary to allow you to run add-ons that require a lot of math co-processing like DPS meters, cooldown timers and such.  He says older computers perform best if you roll a Night Elf Hunter.  image

Originally posted by Quizzical

Do check the price tag on that:  $595 and up.  That will get you an awfully nice backup computer elsewhere, rather than hardware that isn't fast enough for a netbook from Commodore.

Of course you're correct. I was being overly nostalgic and consuming white russians. Don't drink and type. Just glad I'm not a complete impulse buyer. I could appreciate my own original C64 but after I let a "friend" borrow it to re-play the gold box AD&D series of games about 11 years ago..he went and gave it to a pawn shop. I say "gave' because I can't imagine he got very much money for the relic at that time. So sad. come to think of it the same thing happened with my Atari 2600 and about 120 games approximately 10 years before that....different "friend". I've since learned to pick better friends and not lend them my shite.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

It will run on an Apple 2.  You just have to port it over to 5" floppies. it only takes about 200 of them, then you can play woot!

PS both my commodore 64 and apple 2 still work.  I love that fishing game that came with my apple 2, it's addictive.

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by Gravarg

It will run on an Apple 2.  You just have to port it over to 5" floppies. it only takes about 200 of them, then you can play woot!

PS both my commodore 64 and apple 2 still work.  I love that fishing game that came with my apple 2, it's addictive.

What, Oregon Trail doesn't get any love? ;)

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

I wonder if you can buy retro 80s style appearing modern TVs, one of those C64s and a retro style TV would look great.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.