Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does AoC's 'freemium' model compare to that of DDO, EQ2 and LotrO?

Comments

• nihcenihce Member Posts: 539

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Originally posted by nihce

Well, in Turbine shop you can unlock the game by playing the game. Here, you have to spend insane amounts of RL money. 50 euros for pvp armor is IMO ok since it makes you decent player within seconds. But the thing with dungeons, raids and instances ... that is just wrong. 

As some other people have said, you'd have to grind a hell of a lot of time, and I mean a LOT of time, to get enough TP to unlock other areas, or at least the content related to it. To reach the max level areas in LotrO and unlock their content, the amount of hours you need to grind is absolutely spectacular (very rough guessing, I didn't feel inclined to give it a try, that path to level cap).

That is content that in AoC you get automatically, no additional grinding required at all, not an hour.

As for the dungeons and raids, eh, sorry, but you get half of them for free, also no paying or grinding required, that's a lot more than what I initially expected and more than other MMO's where you need to unlock more than half of them.

That said, it's clear that they use different kind of models, each have their price accents differently. To me, AoC's model sounds friendlier and more fun for the newcomer (they can quest and level to level cap all the way in all the zones) than the other models.

Unless you want another class to play besides the 4 available, of course.

Ok, maybe but tell me what is the logic of paying 20 euros for 7 day access to khitai? I can't find it. It is insane IMO

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Ok, maybe but tell me what is the logic of paying 20 euros for 7 day access to khitai? I can't find it. It is insane IMO

Of course it's insane, but I wouldn't be paying that. I'd just buy the expansion if I wanted to (pretty cheap to get too).

The fact that it's overpriced in some areas stil doesn't change the fact that what you get initially is still a good thing to have. After all, the Khitai areas are level cap areas anyway, as a F2P player you'll get the only area that's relevant to you until L80, the Gateway to Khitai area, for free as well. And that's also including all the questing and leveling content in there, which makes it a great L20-40 alternative.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Of course it's insane, but I wouldn't be paying that. I'd just buy the expansion if I wanted to (pretty cheap to get too).

The fact that it's overpriced in some areas stil doesn't change the fact that what you get initially is still a good thing to have. After all, the Khitai areas are level cap areas anyway, as a F2P player you'll get the only area that's relevant to you until L80, the Gateway to Khitai area, for free as well. And that's also including all the questing and leveling content in there, which makes it a great L20-40 alternative.

You won't have access to AA system too which is huge in my opinion. F2P model of AOC is good but in no way better than LOTRO. The prices are insane and anyone who is smart will stick to regular monthly sub.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

That's true. If you're serious in competing and raids and sieges, then subbing is the way to go.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• kendinkendin Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by grimm6th

"I decided to check it out and I saw that 2 thirds of the classes were locked out until I pay for them...locking most of your classes is a REALLY interesting decision..."

I just logged on my old account and i got to pick 3 character slots. So i picked my dt, conq and guard. I did not spend anything to get them. So i guess it depends if you already have the character classes already .

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Well, in Turbine shop you can unlock the game by playing the game. Here, you have to spend insane amounts of RL money. 50 euros for pvp armor is IMO ok since it makes you decent player within seconds. But the thing with dungeons, raids and instances ... that is just wrong. 

I haven't logged in today to check yet but i doubt you'll be able to wear that armour anyway, you'll still need to gain the PvP levels in order to. Besides, it's dirt cheap to buy at the in game vendors anyway.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Kabaal

I haven't logged in today to check yet but i doubt you'll be able to wear that armour anyway, you'll still need to gain the PvP levels in order to. Besides, it's dirt cheap to buy at the in game vendors anyway.

Are you sure about that? Because if it is true no one will buy it, once you have the PvP levels it cost close to nothing to get the armor. It would make sense that you can buy it without levels even though it would be annoying.

Originally posted by Loke666

Are you sure about that? Because if it is true no one will buy it, once you have the PvP levels it cost close to nothing to get the armor. It would make sense that you can buy it without levels even though it would be annoying.

I'm not 100% as i can't log in to check due to maintenance. But to be quite frank, if its normal PvP armour and people can buy full sets through the cash shops and wear it without earning the PvP levels i will unsub, uninstall and never look back. I doubt they would be that stupid tbh.

Side note: The Rise of the Godslayer expansion is only £6 in the Steam sales atm.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Loke666

I'm not 100% as i can't log in to check due to maintenance. But to be quite frank, if its normal PvP armour and people can buy full sets through the cash shops and wear it without earning the PvP levels i will unsub, uninstall and never look back. I doubt they would be that stupid tbh.

Side note: The Rise of the Godslayer expansion is only £6 in the Steam sales atm.

You can buy the Rank1-5 T1 PvP set in the marketplace, that you can get with a few days of mini games. Still they should have had this available to all players by in-game cash ages ago, because everyone below Rank 5 gets destroyed due to having no gear.

Oh and it doesnt require any PvP ranks for the store purchased set.

• nihcenihce Member Posts: 539

I dont think it would make a lot of sense having PVP gear on item shop and still demand from players to grind required levels. Therefore I think that PVP gear from item shop does not require PVP levels. But than again ... this is Funcom.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

I don't know about DDO but I have played LotrO.

You're barred from the questing (and I think also the Books) content. That makes a huge difference in your leveling experience, I can tell you that, everyone who says differently is lying.

That's old school about the books Mav.  Now you can do the books all the way up through Mirkwood without owning the expansion.  Quests are still out without $ but the books are all free.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

I still don't understand why people think the LOTRO model is good, having to pay for quests is horrible. So there are less restrictions in other areas, but at the end of the day without quests, LOTRO is a poor game.

I'd much rather have the quests and pay for classes or expansions than have to pay for the quests.

AoC is a good deal for those not interested in paying anything. And frankly, whether it is AoC or LOTRO, the only way you can do everything and compete with the best is to pay a lot or subscribe.

I dont think it would make a lot of sense having PVP gear on item shop and still demand from players to grind required levels. Therefore I think that PVP gear from item shop does not require PVP levels. But than again ... this is Funcom.

I've checked ingame and Evilastro was right, you can use them at PvP level zero. I really am not fine with this as nabs with plenty of cash can pretty much gear themselves fully out as though they were PvP 5. This and Bori just undermine PvP altogether.

• DrakkhenDrakkhen Member Posts: 195

Originally posted by bobfish

I still don't understand why people think the LOTRO model is good, having to pay for quests is horrible. So there are less restrictions in other areas, but at the end of the day without quests, LOTRO is a poor game.

I'd much rather have the quests and pay for classes or expansions than have to pay for the quests.

AoC is a good deal for those not interested in paying anything. And frankly, whether it is AoC or LOTRO, the only way you can do everything and compete with the best is to pay a lot or subscribe.

LotRO is cake to own everything without spending a dime. All you need is a friend with a level 65, and those deeds take no time at all (I know, I've run a few RL friends through them on my 65 mini, and they now have the equivelant of lifetime accounts minus the 500 tp a month).

Age of Conan on the other hand doesn't offer you the ability to earn the cash shop points, so you have no choice at all but to pony up the cash.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by Drakkhen

Originally posted by bobfish

LotRO is cake to own everything without spending a dime. All you need is a friend with a level 65, and those deeds take no time at all (I know, I've run a few RL friends through them on my 65 mini, and they now have the equivelant of lifetime accounts minus the 500 tp a month).

Age of Conan on the other hand doesn't offer you the ability to earn the cash shop points, so you have no choice at all but to pony up the cash.

But you get almost the hole game pre expansion for free. That is months of content without you spending a single dime and no grinding for cash shop points on the way to max level. I still think this is a pretty good deal but maybe that's just me.

• motorthormotorthor Member Posts: 48

I'm having fun with the free to play model. Could chose 3 of my 4 lvl 80's. wooot

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by motorthor

I'm having fun with the free to play model. Could chose 3 of my 4 lvl 80's. wooot

Free accounts only have two character slots.

I purchased a retail collectors edition when the game launched, and I am only able to unlock two of my four characters. You are either bugged, or fabricating a story.

Originally posted by Kost

Free accounts only have two character slots.

I purchased a retail collectors edition when the game launched, and I am only able to unlock two of my four characters. You are either bugged, or fabricating a story.

There was a veteran reward slot when the expansion came out  http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=148377

Plus character slots can be bought from the account page.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I logged in this morning and it let me choose my dt who had lost 9 levels somehow,  and my deonologist.

The only thing I did not like was no skill trees for free to play.   So maybe it will be ok I only spen an hour in game before my cable went out.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

in the turbine freemiums you are capable of gaining cash shop points by grinding quests or mobs in game (theoretically speaking that means you can buy premium stuff with  no money).  AFAIK no other freemium model is ballsy enough to do that.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• motorthormotorthor Member Posts: 48

LOL I have no interest in fabricating anything, I got 3 slots without paying anything

• brutality123brutality123 Member Posts: 125

european player tried it today.

wow  only 2 servers to choose from  1 PvE the other PvP..  I did play at launch.. WTH..  where have all the servers gone?

only 12 bag slots  err yer  sure..  I'll fill that up easy before I even leave tortage.

The shop seems extraordinarily expensive.

No way to earn points in game. This game is not free.  Much prefer Lotro or DDO system

Think I'll leave it  might give it a try in a month or two unless SWTOR is out by then.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

I returned today and I must say the overall feeling of it is rather restrictive, especially having played both DDO and Lotro in their F2P versions. 

As a returning player I was able to unlock 3 of my original characters out of the original 9 that I had. I opted to unlock 2 of my level 80's assuming I could access the Khitai content that I had paid for way back when, and had put the money down to buy the collectors edition way back when it was offered. I was pretty dissapointed to see that, despite buying it, neither of my level 80's are able to access any of the higher level Khitai content and I would either have to subscribe to access it, or pay again to get a weeks pass to it. 

I understand they need to make money, but baring returning players from content they have paid for is a low move to me. I am assuming the main goal of the F2P switch is to get both new and returning players to continue playing. I have quit AoC twice due to their overly slow development schedule, and how long it takes them to get new content out the door. I am not about to resubscribe and experience that all over again. 

Basically now I am left with 2 level 80's unlocked that have nothing to do and cannot access content I paid for. My third character is level 52, so I will play that for a bit, but so far I see nothing in this pricing model that would make me consider purchasing anything in the shop. 

Ontop of this, AoC subscribers only get 60 or so Funcom points for free per month, when you look at most items are 200-2100 points per item, such a paltry amount of free points almost feels insulting, especially when Lotro gives you 500 per month for subscribing. 

Overall not that impressed with AoCs choices and have no real desire to drop any money in the cash shop as a result. 

• KanoRainKanoRain Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by PhelimReagh

Unlocking each locked-out classe costs anywhere from around $6-12 USD. There are loads of classes, so this would cost an arm and a leg eventually. In LotRO, it cost me about $7 I think to unlock all of their classes.

No, it does not cost different for seperate classes, it's a flat 750 FP.  Which is 12 USD for 1200 FP + a left over 450 that you can actually use on other things.  OR simply pay 14.99 for one month and make TWO classes and use them after your premium runs out.

LotRO has two classes to unluck, AoC has 8.

Try again nerd.

Originally posted by Deleted User

So much of the game is centered around forced grouping that soloing is not an option, major design flaw in my opinion.

^
    ^lol

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Xerith

I returned today and I must say the overall feeling of it is rather restrictive, especially having played both DDO and Lotro in their F2P versions. 

As a returning player I was able to unlock 3 of my original characters out of the original 9 that I had. I opted to unlock 2 of my level 80's assuming I could access the Khitai content that I had paid for way back when, and had put the money down to buy the collectors edition way back when it was offered. I was pretty dissapointed to see that, despite buying it, neither of my level 80's are able to access any of the higher level Khitai content and I would either have to subscribe to access it, or pay again to get a weeks pass to it. 

I understand they need to make money, but baring returning players from content they have paid for is a low move to me. I am assuming the main goal of the F2P switch is to get both new and returning players to continue playing. I have quit AoC twice due to their overly slow development schedule, and how long it takes them to get new content out the door. I am not about to resubscribe and experience that all over again. 

Basically now I am left with 2 level 80's unlocked that have nothing to do and cannot access content I paid for. My third character is level 52, so I will play that for a bit, but so far I see nothing in this pricing model that would make me consider purchasing anything in the shop. 

Ontop of this, AoC subscribers only get 60 or so Funcom points for free per month, when you look at most items are 200-2100 points per item, such a paltry amount of free points almost feels insulting, especially when Lotro gives you 500 per month for subscribing. 

Overall not that impressed with AoCs choices and have no real desire to drop any money in the cash shop as a result. 

Hate to break it to you, but you have the EXACT same access to that content as you did when you bought it, so stop acting like they somehow took it from you.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.