Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you MMORPG.com players actually like ANY dev studio?

Comments

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Rockstar Games

I guess they don't make MMOs, but RDR's multiplayer is really fun.

I don't think Turbine's very bad myself, and I miss Verant's OG line up. Hmm.. ArenaNet's been probably one of the better businesses of any sort to follow on social media. I didn't care for Guild Wars 1 because it already felt aged by the time I played it, but I could see the appeal.

All in all I still like Blizzard and StarCraft II shows they still know how to make good video games. Diablo III I'm going to buy asap.

I like a lot of companies I guess. So yeah, as a mmorpg.com community member and current player of mmos like LotRO, LoL, and APB I do like any dev studio. 

Until they bone me like Square and SOE has. But even then I'd probably try a Final Fantasy XV, and the romantic thoughts I have for EQNext verge near the obscene.

The King can dream dammit.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I'd be surprised if someone had something bad to say about Arenanet. They have a good track record so far. They have balls to try something new. And they are actually good at what they do - they have some of the best programmers in the business.

I don't have anything bad to say about Trion Worlds either, but what they've done is less impressive. Unambitious.

I'd like to say Bioware but they've been slightly disappointing lately. Looks like they are playing it safe with their upcoming MMORPG. Oh well...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

I think the initial post on this thread was a bit unfair. Every one has a particular company he or she dislikes but I think you would be hard pressed to find a forum member here that hates EVERY MMO developer.

As for me, the only studio I'll never buy from again is SOE. They've had enough chances and I'm not giving them another dime. I guess you could add the scam artists behind Dark n Light but since they don't exist anymore, that's a mute point...

I am well disposed towards Trion and Turbine for MMOs and Firaxis and Bethesda for non MMO games.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375

To put it this way: What would we be if we didnt have all those publishers and development studios that we love to complain about? 

hmmm?

So please excuse us. It's a love hate relationship.

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by Mimzel

To put it this way: What would we be if we didnt have all those publishers and development studios that we love to complain about? 

hmmm?

Damn it, I have to agree.  Without SOE and Blizzard, what would the community here have to complain about? 

Power to the Sheeple

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by nhavas

Originally posted by Kyleran

I currently spend 60 bucks a month on MMO's, totally 720.00 a year... I expect a lot for my money.

That said, I like CCP, Bioware, (so far) ANET and a couple of others.  Doesn't mean I won't criticize some of their decisions, but doesn't mean I hate them.

Ah but does it all go towards the same game? all 720$?

Actually, yes, all to CCP atm.  And when SWTOR and GW2 comes out, I'll be tossing them some cash as well (though GW2 of course isn't a big outlay)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Originally posted by PosterTroll

Originally posted by Mimzel

hmmm?

Damn it, I have to agree.  Without SOE and Blizzard, what would the community here have to complain about? 

EA and Activision?

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410

i like arenanet and cryptic (yes that cryptic) cryptic needs some major improvement but they are decent i should probably try turbine they seem decent too

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

ArenaNet and no one else!

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by sladden27

ArenaNet and no one else!

Pretty much this. Common developers are getting into this habit of completely ignoring us players.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

I love Blizzard, their an amazing company, and while I hate what WoW has become, that does not and cannot fault what they have done up until now, Diablo, Lost Vikings, Warcraft and loads more all top quality games to a standard that most other developers fail to meet.

It's kinda sad that most people only rate a developer based on their current title or the state of their current title.

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

I have enourmous respect for CCP, ArenaNet and Trion Worlds. I used to put Blizzard in that category but looking at their last releases we have Wrath of the Lich King, StarCraft II and Cataclysm. All of which were horrible or did not advance their genre in any way (SC2). While SC2 is a very solid game for eSports, it did nothing for the regular gamer as myself.

Other non-MMO companies I love: Paradox Interactive, Relic, Robot Entertainment, Bethesda, 2K Games, CDProjekt and Creative Assembly.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I don't like or dislike any studio..it is just a matter of who I trust and who I do not. Take SOE for example they have a history of being liars. You can not trust anything they say about the future or direction a game is going to take. That being said I think thay have made or taken over and improved a game or two that in my opinion is a quality game.

So while I may not trust them I do not hate them.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I like a lot of studios. Arenanet, Bethesda, Valve, Unknown Worlds Entertainment, Bioware (even though I think they lost a bit of the touch) and a bunch others.

If I dislike any studio it would be Cryptic for spitting out MMOs that should have spent twice the time in development.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

I like them all. They are also human beings who like us can mess up every now and then.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Yeah...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

The only company or studio I really dismiss is SOE.

About others, I don't care, I just like or dislike games, and at the moment I don't like any MMO in the market that I have played or considered playing.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I take each game on its own rather than bothering much about the developer. Case in point, I play EQ2 primarily, despite SOE's reputation with the gaming public, though I still feel pretty sore about the whole hacking event. I'm still watching my cards very closely to make sure that everything is ok. If not, I will leave EQ2 behind unfortunately.

I really appreciate Trion Worlds right now. It's not just because I like Rift. I like championning a studio that is not owned by a major company. They have a quality product in Rift and seem to fix bugs pretty quickly as well as adding in some features I thought they should have to make the community aspects better in the game.

Companies I stay away from? NCSoft, EA Mythic (or whatever they're called these days), and Square Enix. With all three of these companies I've had billing problems. To me it's a very basic thing to get the billing right. If they can't do that, then they won't get my money.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• HadeanHadean Member Posts: 27

Loves: Blizzard, Turbine

Dislikes: SOE

All the others i'm willing to give a fair shake to.

"If you don't take care of your customers somebody else will."

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well I think it depends on the individual.

Me I like some companies, and hate others.

Hate list

(1) Turbine

(2) NCSOFT

Like list

SOE - EQ2

I just tolerate the others.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I used to like Turbine before they made Asheron's Call 2. But after that fiasco and then the Themepark LOTRO, then no.

Other companies... no, not really. Possibly the creators of ArcheAge, if it is an indepth game rather than yet another simplistic Themepark. TERA for the same reason but I am not hearing much good about that game.

I mean it all depends if they are making any high quality non WoW clones MMORPGs, currently there is none, in my opinion.

• TyrxzTyrxz Member Posts: 329

Who doesn't love ANet? By far my favourite!

scribble scribble scribble

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

Personally I don't harbor any ill feelings toward any development studio as a whole.

I happen to not like Richard Garriott or John Smedley.  They both changed from ambitious young developers to greedy money hungry suits.  It also doesn't help that I met both of these men and they were total douche bags.

I may not play any of the current games available on the market, but I still think companies like Turbine, ArenaNet, and Trion are doing good work.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I think all the devs are worthless.

Scared to do anything different;  Always failing in their never ending quest to try to latch onto the coattails of WoW's success;  Scared to move out of WoW's shadow;  Big trend towards making MMORPGs an Online-Single-Player-RPG;  Less interactive, persistent worlds;  Increasingly shallow gameplay (I think devs seem to forget that MMORPGs used to have deep aspects outside of combat);  Increasingly less character customization (appearances and build wise:  Little differentiation in Class + Level Systems).

Or better yet, if they did have something special going with loyal customers / players, they usually go out of their way to alter the title enough to drive them away in a quest to get a bigger audience.  They don't give 2 sh*ts if they lose once loyal customers, as long as there's a chance to replace them with more new players.

I'm currently not playing any MMORPGs, because I don't see any of them providing a worthwhile experience for my time and money.  Haven't done so in almost 2 years now.  So yeah, they're worthless to me.

For all the pretty graphics and massive amount of people playing MMORPGs these days compared to its earlier years, it's shallow, stagnant, and rotten in its core.

Originally posted by Tyrxz

Who doesn't love ANet? By far my favourite!

I don't.  When after being away from Guild Wars for a few months, I return and find my account deleted.  No amount of correspondence would get my account and characters back.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I like Aventurine that make Darkfall. I think these guys are geniuses. Totally insane but geniuses. Nobody really wants to play a game that hard, but they don't give a crap. They are the honey badgers of the dev world. see honeybadger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

I like Fallen Earth, LLC. They've always treated fans well, even if they failed to capture a massive interest.

I like whoever developed Perpetuum. Not really a game for me but I feel like they dropped a functional fun game on a shoestring budget which I gotta respect.

I like Paragon. Even though they did things that I didn't like (incarnate system), I can see where they were things the majority wanted. Plus they made one of the best MMOs ever, so I can forgive a lot.

I like Cryptic okay. I really don't like StarTrek (why do they go where no one has gone before and there are always people there? And why does the ships computer get taken over so much? Do you have a damn off switch?) so I couldn't care what they did to the IP. :) I think they got a lot screwed by Marvel getting pulled but still I find Champs a decent product.

So far I like Trion. I don't consider Rift anything revolutionary, but I do appreciate them trying little tweaks on past successes and just making the product they promised. Again, not a huge fan, but there is a difference between what I personally want in a game and what I respect as good business practice and good treatment of customers as a whole.

I don't like SoE, I think they are shallow and don't treat their work as art or even serious entertainment. They really don't test or listen to fans like even many poorly funded companies do.

I have mixed feeling about Funcom. Love love AO. AoC was a great game 2 years after it should have been, but they promised so much they couldn't deliver and that is just bad business. But I can forgive a lot for the times my barbarian (who looks like a cross between Clint Eastwood and Bill Goldberg) has cut off heads.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga