Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: E3 2011 - The 3D Update

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the more compelling advances in the MMORPGs that we play is the advent of 3D graphic technology. At E3 2011, MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh talked with Everquest 2 Lead Programmer Greg Spence about the recent introduction of 3D technology into the game. Read on to discover more about Everquest 2's 3D Update.

Lead Programmer Greg Spence was at E3 to show off the game in 3D, saying that the stereoscopic 3-D code was already live for gamers who wanted to enjoy the option. In fact, there were players playing the game in 3D, using the nVidia 3D Vision system. They were showing off the 3D effects at E3 in conjunction with the Sony Vaio hardware release of the F-Series laptops and L-Series PCs, all with 120Hz monitors and shutter glasses.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's Everquest 2: E3 2011 - The 3D Update.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The 3D craze is on the downtrend, 3D monitors are sitting on retailers shelves collecting dust.  Adding 3D to EQ II is a waste of developers time, it will not increase their playerbase.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

3d is just waiting for the prices to drop then it will boom...

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

A 3d MMO sounds absolutly terrible.  I can barely stand 3d movies, I can't imagine being able to sit there with everyone moving so much.  Then add spell effects on top of that...

I wonder how many will actually use this feature.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by marinrider

A 3d MMO sounds absolutly terrible.  I can barely stand 3d movies, I can't imagine being able to sit there with everyone moving so much.  Then add spell effects on top of that...

I wonder how many will actually use this feature.

Too many things are being developed and then they say...."Hey we can make this 3D and make some extra gimick cash."  Most of these 3D movies are crap because 3D is an afterthought to the movie.  Atleast Avatar was made with 3D being the point.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Screw 3D! Give us true domestic VR already!!!

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I have a 55 inch top of the line 3d led Samsung and it's great, but there is not a lot of content.  I have been using the 2d to 3d conversion though and playing the new Alice in Wonderland game on my xbox360, and the 3d definitely adds an extra bit of atmosphere and coolness.

I'm not sure how great 3d would be with mmos though.  I have been playing in 2 hour intervals everyother day without any problem, but I'm not sure how longer game times would be on the eyes.

I probably wont invest in any more 3d tech until there is more out there though, even though it is pretty neat.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

The 3D Tech we have right now is not healthy for you, it is not true 3D.  It can give you headaches, it makes your brain process things extremely fast and can hurt your eyes.  Untill we have home, 3D holographic platforms I dont see this tech taking off, I could be wrong, somethings are cool in 3D aka layered 2D, but my eyes hurt after about 4 hours, not that I should be staring at a monitor or tv for 4 hours anyway ;)

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

I have Alice as well and it's great.

I'm playing all the MMOs I have in 3-D now=LOTRo,DCUo,STo,Co. for hours at a time and I don't have any problems. DCu is excellent so I imagine Everquest will be as well. I'm getting to the point that 3-D is a fairly major buying influence.

Just finished watching The Lord of the Rings: Extented Edition in 2D>3D up-conversion software ( Power DVD 11) and that's great too.

A 120 monitor is a bit price;y but 3-D Vision is $100 cheaper than just half a year ago ( the old IR set-up vs the new wired version) so that's coming down.

I'll never go back, especially as LOTRo and STo just look so great this way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put 3 STo pictures in the Gallery:

imageimageimage

These are L-R pictures and not true 3-D pictures. I'll put some 3-D ones up in the Nvidia 3-D forums.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

went to stickham (soe channel)they had a great idea when they moved there but gees the live or tune is so pixelated.i am sorry but if they cant even supply a clean looking live stream (wich almost everybody can do now a days,it tell me that sony or eq2 team isnt serious about anything they re doing.did you ever see live.twit.tv do you see bad video like soe?nope if you did he would be ignore as not being serious and rightly so.user dont demand hd for a pocaster but they demand at least 720 p full screen and 400 small screen ,lower then that you bettter know what you are doing( a la microsoft)cause you are gona be ignored

sad this 3d thing might actually be an insane good thing for eq2 but when i see their awfull webcast im like,why did they bother why not ask a reporter to come in instead and give them the exclusive.i bet a lot of local fan in the soe home world would even do it for free or very inexpensivly for eq2

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

It's nice to see that some people have money to burn.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Thanks Avatar.

Thanks.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Ugh... another company buys into the 3D gimmick.

If the big push for 3D by Hollywood and some game developers doesn't scream "We have run out of original or creative ideas! Here! Let's distract and "ooh-ahh" them with this 3D technology! Maybe they won't realize how uninspired and derivative the crap we're pushing out actually is!"

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• SWGmodAlphaSWGmodAlpha Member Posts: 126

LUL, SOE can't afford to keep SWG running and yet they can piss away money on this crud?

Just more proof that SOE is a fail company that will never get another sub from me.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

• ArthineasArthineas Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Ozmodan

The 3D craze is on the downtrend, 3D monitors are sitting on retailers shelves collecting dust.  Adding 3D to EQ II is a waste of developers time, it will not increase their playerbase.

Not true.  I work for a big electronic retailer and our 3D technology sells really well.

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

I don't think 3D gaming is going anywhere anytime soon

I do think developers will stop putting 90% of their efforts into graphics though.. and worry more about a games playability and fun factor

Thats the biggest thing i look for in a game.. graphics is a nice bonus.. icing on the cake if you will

but if thats the only thing a game strives for.. its going to be a flop imo.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by I_Return

wasred effoort when the game doesn't run good on quad core systems and new graphic crads. SOE and the programmers at eq2 are simply ouut of touch with what is important.

I have played eq2 on a quad core system with new graphics card and it runs flawlessly. 

• porky636porky636 Member Posts: 4

THATS WHAT IM TALKNG ABOUT!!! I want to shoot fire balls and sumon beasts like a real man!!!

• porky636porky636 Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Vyeth

Screw 3D! Give us true domestic VR already!!!

Meant to put this in above comment

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by JeroKane

Seriously! Another new tech they most probably gonna implement half assed and unfinished! /facepalm

Maybe they should focus on finishing and fixing the broken Shader Model 3.0 implementation first! Instead of moving onto something else already!

These clueless half assed jerk actions from the dev team are starting to become extremely tiresome! /sigh

SOE has pretty well established itself as a company that is built around jumping from bandwagon to bandwagon.

Barely 3 months after EQ2 launched - once WoW had released and started showing its signs of early success - SOE immediately started changing EQ2 to be more WoW-like. Every time there's a new trend in gaming, SOE jumps on it.

They're the most schizophrenic, all over the place developer I've ever seen. They can't seem to figure out what the hell it is they want to do/be other than to do/be "what everyone is else doing/being". Where ever the $$$ is, that's where they want to be next...

I don't even say that as a slam against them.. That is sincerely the impression they give to me.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

Seriously, can anyone on this forum really say they want to play EQ2 in 3D with them same, old ass graphics?

I really wish that SOE would get off the desperation bus and come out with ONE, original idea that is not based on a feverish gimmick, but they can start by putting the game on a better engine and updating them old graphics.

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

Maybe cause I haven't tried it, but I don't think I would want to play any game in 3D. Then, I haven't seen any of the new fangled 3D movies either (I seriously don't wan to sit there for two hours with glasses on my face).

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

They once said that the newfangled talkies would'nt catch on at the movies too . Its pretty obvious that 3D is going to explode once the prices come down a bit . You can be pretty certain every single console thats in design will be 3D ready and the same will apply to graphics cards .

I do agree though it proberbly wont have much effect in terms of an increased playerbase of this game . But pretty much every game released within the next 5-10 years will offer 3d .

• rusrecrusrec Member UncommonPosts: 52

The 3D "craze" you speak of has yet to happen due to pricing.  3D themepark rides, 3D movies and Imax are all alive and well.  Technology is still in its infancy, and smart consumers (you know, the ones with the money to spend on 3D) will balance current capabilities with what they percieve as the "right price".  Currently those two points do not match...not even if layered in 3D.