Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Limited Free to Play Adopted

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard has announced that World of Warcraft is adopting a limited free to play option for players who'd like to 'try before buy'. Players can take advantage of levels 1-20 with some limitations including gold acquisition, guild membership, voice chat, etc. This new program replaces the 10-day free trials previously offered by Blizzard.

The new program is another way Blizzard Entertainment is trying to rope in new players for its popular online game. New players will have to buy all three expansions in addition to the original game if they want to continue playing past the first 20 levels of the game. Blizzard Entertainment recently dropped the price for an original copy of the game and the first expansion to $20, but the other expansions are still priced at around $35.

Read more at Venture Beat.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Well at least the level 19 twinked PVPers should be ecstatic about this.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Originally posted by Tardcore

Well at least the level 19 twinked PVPers should be ecstatic about this.

Nope.   Trial accounts cannot PvP from what I've read.   You also cannot team with other trial players, but a paying account can invite you.    In fact, there are so many limitations on the trial account it's laughable.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Looks like Blizzard is getting antsy about it's subscriber base starting to flop.

• CheogaeCheogae Member Posts: 6

Blizzard could afford to make the original game F2P if they wanted to 

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

i agree. they r slowly losing subs and now u can see it. their own fault really.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I dont see this as a reaction to falling subs (which are over exaggrated btw) but a reaction to the changing market where F2P seems to be the norm and P2P the exception.

As to the trial restrictions as harsh as they are they are there to stop botters, griefers and gold farmers.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

"New players will have to buy all three expansions in addition to the original game if they want to continue playing past the first 20 levels of the game"

Interesting.  So if you play free to 20, you cannot just buy WoW, you HAVE to buy WoW, BC, WoTLK, and Cataclysm?  So to actually play WoW past 20 by choosing the free trial route you will spend what... (estimate)...80$ or so?

I am curious if they really mean you HAVE to buy all the expansions.  I still only have BC and that is all I want.  The ability to que for BGs.  No point in doing anything else really.. lol.  My one month sub after 3 years of not playing (more or less) will not be resubbed.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

I bet if they made world of warcraft f2p and added a item shop they would get over 12 millon subsribers again

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by Dragim

"New players will have to buy all three expansions in addition to the original game if they want to continue playing past the first 20 levels of the game"

Interesting.  So if you play free to 20, you cannot just buy WoW, you HAVE to buy WoW, BC, WoTLK, and Cataclysm?  So to actually play WoW past 20 by choosing the free trial route you will spend what... (estimate)...80$ or so?

I am curious if they really mean you HAVE to buy all the expansions.  I still only have BC and that is all I want.  The ability to que for BGs.  No point in doing anything else really.. lol.  My one month sub after 3 years of not playing (more or less) will not be resubbed.

The new trial includes WoW and BC, that is, you can role blood elves and draenai, so I expect that you will be able to upgrade your account to a paying version of just that now that they have those two on sale for $20 or some such. Basically there is no such thing as just buying vanilla anymore. I wonder what that will mean for those who never upgraded an account to BC. Do you get it free now? Probably.

But considering the leveling curve in WoW, 20 levels seems pretty limited. This essentially turns the 10 day trial into a 10 hour trial.

All die, so die well.

• shhwolf17shhwolf17 Member Posts: 146
  • MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Originally posted by syrusmag3

I bet if they made world of warcraft f2p and added a item shop they would get over 12 millon subsribers again

lol? I'm pretty sure f2p would be zero subs

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Anyone think that picture look exactly like the Cornflake Rooster ?

• SerenexSerenex Member UncommonPosts: 126

Originally posted by VikingGamer

The new trial includes WoW and BC, that is, you can role blood elves and draenai, so I expect that you will be able to upgrade your account to a paying version of just that now that they have those two on sale for $20 or some such. Basically there is no such thing as just buying vanilla anymore. I wonder what that will mean for those who never upgraded an account to BC. Do you get it free now? Probably.

But considering the leveling curve in WoW, 20 levels seems pretty limited. This essentially turns the 10 day trial into a 10 hour trial.

Even with the 10 day trial, it was capped at lvl 20.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

so I expect that you will be able to upgrade your account to a paying version of just that now that they have those two on sale for $20 or some such.

Basically there is no such thing as just buying vanilla anymore. I wonder what that will mean for those who never upgraded an account to BC. Do you get it free now? Probably.

From what I read:  Yes and Yes.

I still have a Vanilla account left over from multi-boxing back then.  I checked last night and it's now got BC added.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

The old 10 day trial also had tons of limitations - gold cap, no trade, level capped at 20. You couldn't get past level 20 with the old 10 day trial too...

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Personally I would not play this game even if it was F2P.

I have never seen such a blatant rip off dumbed down version of EQ with horrid cartoon graphic style. How anyone pays money for this utter shite is beyond me.

12 millions subs? That is sad man, very very sad.

What does it say about MMO gaming ?

Sad.

• BunkafishBunkafish Member Posts: 57

good decision, now if only all other mmo's could do the same thing. Nothing worse than buying an mmo and realizing you hate it 2 days later. The unlimited time frame for the trial helps people that aren't able to play everyday to have the ability to judge over a longer time period. 

In all honesty though I don't see how it's possible after 6+ years running that there are still people out there that haven't at least tried the game.

PS I love how quick the "haters" jump on any WoW post to give everyone their personal opinion on how it ruined the mmo industry. 

EQ, DAOC, AO and whatever other games you think are better are still up and running... go play them if they're so great!

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

I'll do it for you Mike O’Brien.

*points and laughes out loud*

• wardoxywardoxy Member UncommonPosts: 81

Lol, R.I.P. WoW

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by Bunkafish

good decision, now if only all other mmo's could do the same thing. Nothing worse than buying an mmo and realizing you hate it 2 days later. The unlimited time frame for the trial helps people that aren't able to play everyday to have the ability to judge over a longer time period. 

In all honesty though I don't see how it's possible after 6+ years running that there are still people out there that haven't at least tried the game.

PS I love how quick the "haters" jump on any WoW post to give everyone their personal opinion on how it ruined the mmo industry. 

EQ, DAOC, AO and whatever other games you think are better are still up and running... go play them if they're so great!

Most MMO's now a days have a 14 day trial or something along those lines. If you cant make it to 20 in WOW in 14 days then I would say its best for the MMO community that you go back to single player games.

IMO this is the exact same thing as a time trial except now they can advertise everywhere that they are going F2P (kinda). Its just a publicity stunt that will fail to any true MMO gamer, but will hit the hearts to 7 year olds with mom and dads who dont like them playing.

Do you need to use a credit card to get the 14 day trial in wow? Im sure the F2P portion doesnt need one.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Ceridith

Looks like Blizzard is getting antsy about it's subscriber base starting to flop.

Because a game bringing in over $150 million a month is in danger of going out of business.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

Originally posted by Bunkafish

People have to hate WoW, it's big and successful. I don't know if you are aware but WoW is responsible for ruining the MMO business, terrorism, lung cancer, Jar Jar Binks, and just about everything else awful in society......

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

WoW has been around for what 6-8 years now?  Name another game that has held onto 10+ million players for longer than 6-8 years. 

Please don't take this as a "fanboy" post and just as a "hey look at reality" post.

Game is getting old, people are getting tired of it and moving on. 

As for the trial - 20 levels is more than enough to decide if you like the gameplay or not.  You get a decent selection of skills, pretty sure you can even buy a mount by level 20 now.  You can likely run an instance (not sure if they limit that on trial). 

If they don't already, they should allow you do to everything possible that requires level 20 or lower and only restrict what might allow exploiting and spam for gold farmers.  IE:

Trial doesn't need global or trade chat to "try" the game

Trial doens't need to carry around more than 10 gold at one time (or however much is required to buy mount).

The only issue I see with allow trials into PvP, they might get a terrible impression of the game if they get rolled by some d-bag twink that someone with 10's of 1000's of gold has dumped endless resources into perfecting.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Why do these huge companys never get it? do they talk to psychics or something for buisness advice?.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

Why do these huge companys never get it? do they talk to psychics or something for buisness advice?.

Exactly what advice should they take? Not to offer an extended  free trial with player restrictions?