Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by parrotpholk
    No one will abuse this at all not in the world of warcraft.

Um ....how?

It probably has the vanilla free trial limitations in that about the only thing you can do is kill monsters and use the /say chat channel.

Otherwise, its no trading, no auction house, no mailing, no grouping, no nothing.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Eh well, the only advantage i see in this is that roleplayers could do their thing and not pay.. >.>?

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Wonder what happens for people over level 20 and their subscription runs out.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

It's interesting.   I don't think it'd lure me back, because I believe it's only for trial accounts, not former ones.   Meaning that even if I had some sub level 20 characters, I couldn't play them.     I had a lot of fun in Wow, but I don't care for it's endgame in the least.

The level 19 pvp game should get interesting I suppose.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

If it's as crippled as the trial system used to be, this is hardly "free to play".

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

This sounds more like an extended free trial, not actual f2p.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

With the RAF and now this, sounds like they are still bleeding subs lol.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Someone is in trouble.... Seriously and it will not get better once TOR and GW2 release. Thats what you get when you milk it to death. The game isn't bad but come on Blizzard, give us your new mmo announcement this year. You know some hope that it is worth while to continue to play your games until your new mmo gets here.

• SerenexSerenex Member UncommonPosts: 126

Haha i just played, limitations are no trading, and no forming groups. You can get invited to a group from a p2per.

so 14 day free trial

No acess

to

Unlimited free trial

Speak

Auction House

Grouping up

pvp

since you can't trade, get your professions up, make money, and buy your lvl 19 gear :P

• ColdskinColdskin Member Posts: 22

yep ,but it still has all of the trial account restrictions. No trading, no AH, no mail, no using chat channels unless someone whispers you first, etc.

• SerenexSerenex Member UncommonPosts: 126

Originally posted by Coldskin

yep ,but it still has all of the trial account restrictions. No trading, no AH, no mail, no using chat channels unless someone whispers you first, etc.

false, you can now use AH, speak, whisper, mail, everything except trade and START grouping, p2pers can group with you.

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Wonder what happens for people over level 20 and their subscription runs out.

It's completely apart from the sub system.  It creates a new game key attachd to the battle.net account.

Trade is restricted.  Trials can't do a party invite (maybe can join a subs party).  They can whisper which surprised me.  Friends list works.

It doesn't seem to be advertised much yet.  The starting area we played was dead empty.  I think I saw 2 other people.

=================================================================

edit:

As far as I can see AH is locked out.  I cannot buy, bid or post auctions.

Mail is also locked out.  Cannot send or receive.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

As if I needed another reason to quit and never look back. I love the characters I've created over the years, but there's not much of a game here anymore.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

For Pony! I am returning. I don't mind just hanging out in capitals and the early zones.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Op's link was updated to say this

--------------------------------------------

The full restrictions are:

- A level cap of 20.

– A maximum of 10 gold.

– Trade skills are capped at 100 ranks.

– Unable to trade via the Auction House, mailbox, or player-to-player.

– In-game access to public chat channels unavailable. Players are limited to communicating using only say, party, or whisper.

– Characters will be unable to create or join guilds.

– Characters are not able to send whispers to other characters unless they have been added to the characters’ friends lists or have received a whisper from a character first.

– Characters will not be able to invite other players into a party.

– Characters will not be able to join parties with other characters above level 20.

– Voice chat disabled on Starter Edition accounts.

– Realms experiencing login queues will prioritize players who have full, paid accounts.

– Starter Edition accounts are not eligible for character transfers

– RealID features are disabled on all Starter Edition Accounts.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Um ....how?

It probably has the vanilla free trial limitations in that about the only thing you can do is kill monsters and use the /say chat channel.

Otherwise, its no trading, no auction house, no mailing, no grouping, no nothing.

Whispering and shouting about gold selling sites? Idiotic trolls will run around and insult everyone?

Don't worry, scammers will abuse anything and if you give them a finger they will take the entire hand.

I dunno if this is such a great idea, AoC did the same thing and it didn't work out that well for them. A free 14 day should be more than enough to get new players, I don't think this will do much one way or another.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by Loke666

Um ....how?

Whispering and shouting about gold selling sites? Idiotic trolls will run around and insult everyone?

Don't worry, scammers will abuse anything and if you give them a finger they will take the entire hand.

I dunno if this is such a great idea, AoC did the same thing and it didn't work out that well for them. A free 14 day should be more than enough to get new players, I don't think this will do much one way or another.

With the new spam button gold sellers shouting in game have been down.  Whispers have not but these accounts can not whisper you without you whispering them first.

• MastadaMastada Member Posts: 40

Yeah, I'm not real smart. I'm too old to be anymore. Especially about things I care little about, such as WOW.

However, this seems to be the first "true" sign that I have seen that Blizzard is concerned about the state of WOW. This smells of desperation. By reading this site alone, you always see and hear inklings of such things, but they never seemed to really register with me. But as soon as I heard about this, that was my first thought, for the first time, that the king, perhaps, is naked.

Not a WOW basher by the way. Played hardcore for 18-20 months. Loved it. Got bored. Quit. Never played again. Still think it's a wonderful game, for it's purpose, but have no desire to play.

But wtf do I know? Guess time will tell.

Originally posted by Loke666

Um ....how?

If anything it becomes a reason to not buy the game.  We played last night, the first time since retiring after Cata released.  It was fun to goof off in a lowbie zone but I still don't expect to resub.  This is too crippled to be anything more than brief entertainment and in many ways it just reminds me of the reasons I quit.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

about effing time Blizz gets weaned off this fat WoW cow. hopefully this will spur them into releasing their new mmo faster. seriously, WoW was an awesome game 5 years ago but it's friken old now. time to move on Blizz and take all that huge pile of  of money and talent and give us something new, exciting and cutting edge.

just do it!

• Dru72Dru72 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 57

Was this to be expected?
    Is this a shock

YES
    NO

With the way the trend is heading lately with lots of game companies taking some sort of 'F2P' model.

The arguable question is though, is this really FREE?

My short answer to this is no, in all honesty, nothing is ever free.
    F2P in my humble opinion comes with a lot of heavy restrictions thus severly limiting the full enjoyable access a game really has to offer.

Hope that made sense :P

• brutality123brutality123 Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Dru72

Was this to be expected?

Is this a shock

YES

NO

With the way the trend is heading lately with lots of game companies taking some sort of 'F2P' model.

The arguable question is though, is this really FREE?

My short answer to this is no, in all honesty, nothing is ever free.

F2P in my humble opinion comes with a lot of heavy restrictions thus severly limiting the full enjoyable access a game really has to offer.

Hope that made sense :P

I really don't get the WoW is now F2P discussion.

They used to have a 14 day trial  max level 20 with other restrictions.

It is now an unlimited time trial max level 20 with other restrictions.

How long does it take someone to level to 20 in wow?  I see very little difference in what they have done

• smoke42069smoke42069 Member Posts: 17

I'm gonna play it just to cure my boredom. I'm curious if you can make multiple character lvl 20 on same account. I would alos like to know if you can stay at lvl 19 and just make mad money for when you eventually start subbing?

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by smoke42069

I'm gonna play it just to cure my boredom. I'm curious if you can make multiple character lvl 20 on same account. I would alos like to know if you can stay at lvl 19 and just make mad money for when you eventually start subbing?

You are limited to 10g at any one time.   You could probably buy something that is stackable (like ore) and just keep buying it and storing it until your bank is full, then after you subscribe, sell it all.    But with all the restiction to the AH, mail, and trading, that seems like a lot more trouble than it is worth. 

If I were a new player, I would definitely have 10 characters up to lvl 20 and have mounts and some things bought... but anything beyond that would just be a waste of time.