Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expect The Next Great MMORPG to be F2P - Vindictus

So, for those of who you dont already know, Nexon is about to release a F2P mmorpg in the USA like no other MMORPG out there... maybe except for MO or DF.

This mmorpg, Vindictus, will be running on source engine, by Valve, and will include stunning graphics, Real time Physics, Fast paced action gameplay (no more boring  attack and hit skills on your skill bar) and classes that adapt to your playing style.

With the physics engine, armor will degrade during combat, you will see arrows stuck into your armour and such.

Anyway, enough of my horrid sum up of the game, you can do your own google on the game.

Here is a vid of the Koreans version of the character customization

Screen Shot from Vindictus.

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Last i heard people were already complaining about the game from the Korean CB calling it a grindfest, the combat and everything is awesome but if the game is just another grindfest it's all a waste. I ould much rather prefer that kind of combat system in a sandbox game due the open end style. None the less i'm eagerly waiting for the NA release.

• Spike_SSpike_S Member Posts: 10

Wasn't this going under the name "Mabinogi Heroes" in Korea?

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Spike_S

Wasn't this going under the name "Mabinogi Heroes" in Korea?

yes it is, I for one will try out the game.  I don't see a reason not too.

As far as grind...who cares.  Play for fun and don't look at it as a job.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• luckypotatoluckypotato Member Posts: 251

Yes, the game is called "Mabinogi heroes" or something like that in Korea =p

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Grind = no fun.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Grind is not universal, much like the sense of what is fun.  One's grind is another's fun and vice versa.  As for Vindictus, I'll give it a shot if for no other reason then to be able to make my own call on it.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Pay to win. No thanks. 

I'm not a fan of twitch combat in MMORPGs, and definitely don't like use it to improve it skill systems. 

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

It might be on the pay to win revenue model but the combat system is more twitch based than artifical character skill leveling. There are no hotbars in Vindictus so if you are not swinging your weapon you will not do any damage.

• luckturtzluckturtz Member Posts: 422

Highly instance as much Guild wars and Global agenda.Most people here won't like it it won't fit their defintion of mmo,It is closer to Diablo than WoW.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Looks interesting but is f2p. I rather pay a subscription fee than playing in a game where the one who pays more wins. Cash shops destroy every game, no matter how good it is.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

If this game went the way of Guild Wars where I purchase the box and then play till they release an expansion where upon I'd buy that too then I'd be more inclined to give it a try and actually stick with it.  I don't think I'd pay a monthly fee for it though.  F2P might hold my interest only so long as to hit the point where I "must" buy items.  That's where I'd log out and find something else to play.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Great, it is F2P .. so i can play a bit for free.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

makes me wonder sometime if aika and this game share the same graphic engine sure feel this way

set lower for aika in some ways but upclose char look is same feel!like a watered down version of it!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Mabinogi Heroes? The next great MMO?

What?! Nonononononono. HA HA HA! NO!!!

Mabinogi Heroes is the worst kind of pay to win "free to play", its a pay to play "free to play".

To do dungeons you need coins, when you run out of coins you cant do anymore dungeons until they reset. Or you can buy more from the cash shop. So, you have to pay to run dungeons in a game thats all about grinding dungeons.

Also, to make it that much better it has one of the most extreme level grinds ever. How do you make it manageable? Yes thats right, buy exp coins.

Lastly, it doesnt have dedicated servers for the dungeons, its peer to peer connection. They're super greedy and they cant even cough up a little for dedicated servers.

Unless Nexon heavily changes it for the NA release this game is DOA.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Its free so I will try it. Regardless of how messed up the cash shop will be it will still be better than this FTP crap that we have right now.

• KarmakaziKarmakazi Member Posts: 165

Looks interesting, guess I'll give it a go, thanks for the heads up OP.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Not gonna happen OP.  The only reason Korean games are F2P is due to the fact they play in internet cafes. As Area's of asia begin to adopt western standards you will start to see more in the way of p2p games.

F2P is never good, as it impacts the design of the game. Furthermore, Source is fairly outdated now as far as the engine goes. The cry engine and Unreal have continued to surpass Source in terms of capability and next gen status.

That said, Korean developers are not known for their game design. In fact, thats their weakest point when it comes to game production. I dont know about you, but I, like many i would assume, play games for good design, graphics and image saturation are only a perk.

I can make a safe assumption that the next major/great mmorpg with international success will most likely be the mmorpg Blizzard is working on as we speak.  A new IP geared specifically for MMORPG design.

Till then I see Final Fantasy online getting a stronger following than any game Korea will produce. Bioware's Star Wars mmorpg will have a strong following. Guild Wars 2 will also take a large piece of the cake since it will be b2p, with no sub attached.

And finally, non fantasy mmorpgs have shown to have trouble getting a strong audience (you wont see anything with more than a million subs thats non fantasy atm.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

It this "Vindictus" like the movie with Morgan Freeman in it?  Can we roll up political acitivist characters and model them like Nelson Mandela?

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by pencilrick

It this "Vindictus" like the movie with Morgan Freeman in it?  Can we roll up political acitivist characters and model them like Nelson Mandela?

That movie was called invictus.

• possession69possession69 Member Posts: 5

Well, as far as i can see, this game is very great. The graphics are awesome, getting more members each day. Only con about this game is that you can only play in certain places... :(

You cant play this game in South America, though im hoping this will change. THere are many latin people who love gaming and once this game becomes worldwide, it will get many members.

Maybe music isnt dead. Maybe we just forgot what it fvcking sounds like.

• Cereal2KCereal2K Member UncommonPosts: 14

No persistent world = not an MMORPG...at least not in my book...maybe an MOG or something like that

And ontop of that not even dedicated instance servers but instead p2p making it laggy as shit if the you got a bad connection to the host (in a game where EVERYTHING is instanced and even the towns have a lot of multiple clones you can switch to)

The game is indeed fun for a while when only playing every now and then and casually....for anyone looking for an MMORPG with a persistant world and something you can play all day if you want, move along nothing to see here. :)

Cheers CK

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Vindictus is a CORPG like Guildwars and DDO (and STO for that matter). But sure, this site have them as well as MMORPGs.

I stilol don't really see it go up against games like GW2, TOR and Titan. I could imagine it have something like 2 million active players and that is still impressive but I don't see it as the next big one.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I would rather play PSO.

Vindictus needs to have much longer mission levels. The game is just boring to me. It looks nice but there isnt anything to it.

C9 looks way better too.

• wulfeouswulfeous Member Posts: 4

I LOVE this game!

Everyone should try it, at the very least!

It is entirely free to do so, after all.

I was skeptical of the game from any picture or gameplay video that I saw. They just do not do it the justice it deserves. You must try it for yourself. The download is only 2.5G with no update time afterwards!

And 'pay to win'?? Eff that. The cash store items are largely cosmetic. tattoos and hair colors.

The only item I can think of would be the self revive's for once you are lvl 16+ and can't do it for free any longer.

Even then. This isn't making you stronger than another player.. If you pvp and die, it's because you died. Won't matter if you can self revive or not. And if you solo challenge a level and die, it'd be helpful if you had one, sure. But just try again. :P It is NOT the end of the world.

I can hardly believe that anyone is griping about the cash shop. If it'll keep this great game going, selling hairstyles?? DO IT.

It is so much fun to massacre enemies however you want.

You can actually GRAB enemies and pound their faces in, then proceed to kick them off a cliff. The huge 'Kurok' class character can actually grapple bosses even, once they have been stunned, and proceed to lay on a nice little beating.

You can pick up all kinds of items laying about and swing them as weapons, or toss them directly at the enemies for decent damage.

Destuctible surroundings such as pillars, huts etc. can be broken down to a manageable size and used as projectiles as well. A slab of marble pillar really stuns a boss quite nicely. :)

Random highlights of a much larger picture. Nothing more.

I can understand that this game isn't for everyone. But after a month of playing it now, I only want more! It really is an underrated game that is only going to improve over time! especially with Nexon planning it's release of the archer class sometime soon.. :D

Come play!

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Hey Look! That couldnt possibly be a marketing post.. could it? Hmmm.

Yea.

This discussion has been closed.