Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends: League of Legends is Massive

Comments

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by Anireth

As they all get compared to DotA, which at least started the trend, if not the whole thing, why don't just call the genre "DotA"? At least until DotA is not the comparision factor anymore. Once DotA has achieved a status like Quake, Doom, Unreal, or Dune/C&C/Warcraft, as the one who started it, but not the one to compare everything to, it may be time for a real genre name, though MOBA is really not that descriptive. But for now, i think DotA is just fine.

That time is already passed. DotA was fun, but LoL has greatly improved on the core mechanics and HoN has pushed the graphics and other games are evolving the format.  Its time the genre got a real name.

MOBA, I will agree, isn't that descriptive.

I think COBRA (Competitive Online Battle/Role-playing Arena) has a nice ring to it and is fairly descriptive--not to mention it has a cool acronym).

• EclipZe.dkEclipZe.dk Member UncommonPosts: 26

Originally posted by BoA*

Since he's doing an article on LoL I expect one for HoN, Bloodlines, Etc.

So because you do an article on carrots, you must also do one on tomatoes? .. They are both <span class="hps" closure_uid_o33udo="73" title="Klik her for at f

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AramathAramath Member Posts: 161

They only have 2 maps, which is rather poor considering how long the game has been out.  1 5 v 5 map and 1 3 v 3 map.  Playstyles on the two different maps are different for most champions as the 3 v 3 is a much smaller map which makes for a faster pace.  There are still some tweaks that need to be made.  Some champions are definately overpowered and the fact that every ranged champion released since the original core of champions has a sole cause of out-ranging the three primary ranged champs (Ashe, Sivir, Teemo) seems very suspect as to who is pulling the strings over there.  There are a couple of other games released in this genre since LoL.  Heroes of Newerth and Lands of Chaos Online are two that come to mind.  Heroes of Newerth allows champions to plow through the landscape with axes or certain skills making the maps not so redundant.  Each game is a little different since the player can create new paths through the terrain.  LOCO looks really nice,  it plays more like a TPS MMO but they have gotten out of hand with their micropay systems.  You have to pay out money to fully unlock a champion's skills.  They also allow for pretty much perma invulnerability in the form of invulnerability potions, which can also be combined with other items to create items with invulnerability triggers on them.   LOCO's targetting systems is screwy too making support champions a pain in the arse to play.

• c4_Garudac4_Garuda Member Posts: 77

I just can't fathom all the posting about this game here. Just how much money you get from all those reviews and re-reviews?? The game is ACTION RTS, thats the closest thing you can say and not be wrong. Its based on maps where you clash 5v5.

Where exactly you see 'MMO' is beyond my comprehension. Lets call HoN mmo as well, its the same game. Hell lets call DOTA an MMO GAME Just lol..

"To be a rock and not to roll..."

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by wfSeg

Originally posted by Tyrantas

Originally posted by Bunkafish

It's an ok casual game for casual players, but Riot plan to make lol esports game is disgusting.

Look at neutral base of fans (sc2 fans) reacting when quake live got replaced by LoL at IEM. That pretty much sums it all.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=237909

http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/33479-League_of_Legends_breaks_NA_eSports_record

beg to differ, i'm not a person to watch these things. But I play LoL and my brother being an avid SC2 player, told me about that news which made me laugh (cause I always make fun of him watching these esport things - he watches SC2 games and used to watch WoW arenas). 

Anyways most watched NA esport event something like 1.2-1.4 million people watched it. 

If it's popular it doesn't mean it's good esports game, lol doesn't take any skill compared to real esports games and it's unbalanced. It's popular because it's free and easy to play, not because it's good. You also inflate those numbers.

tyrantas, if it's so easy and doesn't take any skill, then you shouldn't have any problem getting to 2000+ ELO amrite? go do it, post a screenie and then maybe your opinion will be valid.

until then, you're nothing but a bitter Hon fan bashing LoL all over mmorpg forums with no data or facts to back up his big mouth. i am serious, all your recent comments relating to lol are just pure bs. no data. no facts.

even better, why don't you write an article or review with some in-depth analysis, and explain what you don't like about LoL? or maybe you can't do it.

I played LoL, it was ok, but nothing to good. I don't wanna play it and I won't because some random guy told me to get high elo. For example i had gladiator in wow three times, it takes some skill, but it's uncomparable with sc2 for example. I don't think WoW arenas is supposed to be esport aswell, even tho I enjoyed it. Reasons are simple, to much rng, bad for spectating, unbalance, lower skill req than real esports games. LoL has quite similar flaws to be considered esport game. 

You shouldn't rage on people when they try to open peoples eyes and help them udnerstand when game tries to be what it's not only because it's the game u play and love.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I never played HoN.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

If it's popular it doesn't mean it's good esports game, lol doesn't take any skill compared to real esports games and it's unbalanced. It's popular because it's free and easy to play, not because it's good. You also inflate those numbers.

tyrantas, if it's so easy and doesn't take any skill, then you shouldn't have any problem getting to 2000+ ELO amrite? go do it, post a screenie and then maybe your opinion will be valid.

until then, you're nothing but a bitter Hon fan bashing LoL all over mmorpg forums with no data or facts to back up his big mouth. i am serious, all your recent comments relating to lol are just pure bs. no data. no facts.

even better, why don't you write an article or review with some in-depth analysis, and explain what you don't like about LoL? or maybe you can't do it.

I played LoL, it was ok, but nothing to good. I don't wanna play it and I won't because some random guy told me to get high elo. For example i had gladiator in wow three times, it takes some skill, but it's uncomparable with sc2 for example. I don't think WoW arenas is supposed to be esport aswell, even tho I enjoyed it. Reasons are simple, to much rng, bad for spectating, unbalance, lower skill req than real esports games. LoL has quite similar flaws to be considered esport game. 

You shouldn't rage on people when they try to open peoples eyes and help them udnerstand when game tries to be what it's not only because it's the game u play and love.

This can't be a serious post, 1.2-1.4M people watch that stream. If I was an esports supporter, I'd be dragging LoL into the 'esports' category whether it is or isn't. 

Your 'opinion' of what particular game is an 'esports' and what isn't an 'esports' is noted on this post though so keep at it.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Originally posted by jpnz

This can't be a serious post, 1.2-1.4M people watch that stream. If I was an esports supporter, I'd be dragging LoL into the 'esports' category whether it is or isn't. 

Your 'opinion' of what particular game is an 'esports' and what isn't an 'esports' is noted on this post though so keep at it.

Look I don't want casual games to be part of esports, what's next ? facebook games on esports because they are popular ? 

Originally posted by jpnz

Look I don't want casual games to be part of esports, what's next ? facebook games on esports because they are popular ? 

Your desire to exclude certain games because in your opinion certain games 'lower skill req' is noted.

As someone who wants to see Esports grow, I see no point in that.

How do you measure skill anyway? We are talking about freakin Video games here.

Does Street Fighter have a 'lower skill req' than StarCraft? 

What about Quake? Fifa? CODBLOP?

If it is a game then give the community the tools to make it as an Esports and let them run with it.

Throw in a couple of  thousand dollars as prize money, build that hype and see where it goes.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BoA*BoA* Member UncommonPosts: 159

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by EclipZe.dk

So because you do an article on carrots, you must also do one on tomatoes? .. They are both <span class="hps" closure_uid_o33udo="73" title="Klik her for at f

• This article reads like it was written by the PR team of Riot.

Terrible.

I like the game, but this article is useless and nothing but advertisement.

• asikis75asikis75 Member Posts: 16

A few personal observations on LoL

1) Its not an MMO, its a multiplayer PvP game much like TF2 or tribes or anything that is 5 v 5 or 10 v 10 or 3 v 3 teams where one team wins and one team looses. MMO implies combat but also player to player non combat  (social)  interaction in a persistant or instanced world. LoL clearly cant provide such an experience. 

2) Its FUN even if not original and FREE, rarely these too can be said for a game, even more so for a PvP game.

3) Its easy to get into but quite complex to master.

4) its not casual friendly. Imagine going out with random people to play for example 5v5 basketball only to find out that 1-2 people on your team can't play at all. Fraustrating eh? combined that with any form of reward for winning and its fraustrating x10 to have to play with people who cant be bothered to learn even the most basic of rules or techniques.

5) Its an e-sport much like SC2 PvP people play for the thrill of winning and getting better at that. And unlike SC2 there is no single player mode (other than very basic training games) for the casuals.

All in all its a great game for either playing a couple of games for a quick PvP fix or a more serius commitment in time and effort. Either way the game is rewarding. UNLESS you are playing on the EU servers. If you are then please please please dont try the game ATM. The server issues, disconections, and long quess will propably kill any fun way before you can even start a game.

Originally posted by Rylon

This article reads like it was written by the PR team of Riot.

Terrible.

I like the game, but this article is useless and nothing but advertisement.

Are you sure you read the article?

Cause this quote 'Today, new writer Joseph Sanicky gives our readers a terrific overview of the game that is particularly handy for those who may have wondered but never actually tried League of Legends.' explains what the article is.

Not sure where this 'article is useless' is coming from since it is a false statement. The article does what it set out to do, provide an 'overview of the game'.

Gdemami -

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

Just because a game can be casual friendly does not mean it isn't competitive at the top levels.  Take a look at real sports for example.  Soccer is pretty damn casual friendly and popular, so it must not be a sport.  At least according to your logic.  

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I gave this game a try.   By the end of the tutorail mission I was so bored to tears I couldn't bring myself to play anymore.    It was such a drawn out slow moving plod of a game.    I cannot understand the appeal of this.

• depaindepain Member Posts: 263

WoW-like Graphics.

WoW-like Battleground garbage.

NO THANKS.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Its has no elements of an MMO at all.

This is just some way for mmorpg.com to try and justify expanding their business to include other products.  Its just greed to capitalise on the mmo audience.

If you want to know what mmo players think of greedy gaming companys *points to ccp*

Originally posted by vxcriss

{mod edit}

The millions of people playing the game would beg to differ.  

I'd be willing to bet that mmorpg.com is trying to bend the definition of what an mmo is so that they can add an extremely popular game to their site and generate additional traffic.

Perhaps it was Riot's doing though, they have an amazing marketing team.  Just look at the record breaking Dreamhack turnout.  The LoL fans came to show their support in huge numbers.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

http://dota2talk.com/news/valve-attending-gamescom-2011/

Only a few more months before LoL's copy/pasting heroes from DOTA and lazy cash grab updates will be killed once and for all..

Originally posted by zellmer

http://dota2talk.com/news/valve-attending-gamescom-2011/

Only a few more months before LoL's copy/pasting heroes from DOTA and lazy cash grab updates will be killed once and for all..

While I do hope for the success of DotA 2 as well, accussing LoL of copy/pasting heroes when compared with the current crop of MOBAs is quite misleading.  HoN is definitely more of a blatant copy of DotA, and of course DotA 2 will have more of a resemblence to DotA as well.  

Out of all the MOBAs, LoL is the one that has strayed the most from DotA, and it has met with great success because of this.  Kudos to Riot for being unique and trendsetting.  

• GudrunixGudrunix Member Posts: 149

asikis75 hit it right on the head.  It's not an MMORPG, but it is fun.  Definitely a team-combat game, like Team Fortress 2.  I think "Arena" game is the best descriptor.  Some persistent elements, but not the usual set of MMO features that players would expect from an MMORPG.

Does it belong here?  Not really, other than that it's a major development worth noting.  Like MInecraft/Terraria, it's a new genre that is majorly reshaping the landscape of the computer gaming world.  The bigger companies have been caught flat-footed by both the rise of Minecraft and the rise of League of Legends (although Riot is very quickly becoming a big company in its own right).  I am reminded of how many companies were blindsided by the sudden rise of RTSs and the sudden rise of MMORPGs (some are still trying to get up to speed--hi Bethesda!).

With respect to competitors, the numbers from Dreamhack for League of Legends broadcasts were positively huge--hundreds of thousands of viewers, and that is for games broadcast early in the morning.  We are talking Starcraft-in-Korea numbers, nearly record-breaking for the industry.  LoL is clearly the heavyweight in the arena, so to speak, and it will take big mistakes by Riot and very impressive products from other companies to change things, and I do not see that happening soon.  LoL is the WoW of the online arena world right now, and many of the things they have done right have been the things that Blizzard did right, e.g., getting rid of "hardcore" features and making the game more accessible to newer players.  HoN hasn't been able to change that, and I don't think DotA2 will change it either.

• GudrunixGudrunix Member Posts: 149

One more note--for the doubters, lots of livestreams of LoL out there, particularly on own3d.tv.  Should also be some for HoN and Bloodline Champions, for those who are interested in a comparison.  Dreamhack broadcasts will have top play by the best players, and those are archived at own3d.tv.

• SandbloxSandblox Member UncommonPosts: 180

I have been playing LoL since I got into the beta (got into HoN better first then moved onto LoL). I find it to be a really fantastic game and it has held my attention longer then any MMO I have played except for EQ1 and WoW and after all this time I still play LoL every single day. 

Is it a MMO? No it is a MOBA but what I find interesting is the trend of this game genre...

We had DOTA which I can compare to EQ...popular but not well known, niche...

LoL and HoN come out, LoL becomes the WoW of the moba genre while HoN became the EQ2...

Now were starting to see a bunch of low quality clones coming out by other companies similar to what we saw and see when MMOs became mainstream and DOTA2 which is the "LoL killer" sounds very familar :P

Anyways it is a great game and it only continues to grow and I feel this genre will also just keep growing, it is what MMOs were before and it is following the path as the new big thing the masses are getting into. 

As for player base I would assume it is well over 1 million by how many people watched the Dreamhack stream, how many people constantly watch top player streams, how busy the forums constantly are and the fact it overtook WoW on xfire, if only briefly. Riot also has a great marketing department and really gets the word out. 

All in all a very enjoyable game and really the only downside is the community can be very immature and their hardware seems to fail to often for such a huge game. 

• AramathAramath Member Posts: 161

You do realize that what LoL and HoN and all the other games following in the DoTA line are where esports games came from right?   I think Starcraft started it all, which was based off the Warcraft engine.

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by cinos

Originally posted by EclipZe.dk

So because you do an article on carrots, you must also do one on tomatoes? .. They are both vegetables but have nothing to do with eachother otherwise...

If the website was called vegonline.com then sure I would expect the tomato article.
    This website is MMORPG.com, and the writers seem to think that LoL is related enough to the genre for them to write articles on it (quite regularly). So I would expect a decent level of impartiality and for them to start doing pieces on other games in the MOBA genre.
    Otherwise they just come off as a simple fan site, by only reporting on one game in a growing new genre.

You guys failed hard. If someone were to write an article about carrots, you should not expect an article about tomatoes, even if the site is about veggies.

Why?

Because tomatoes are fruits, not veggies.