Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends: League of Legends is Massive

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I have been playing League of Legends extensively and still playing it. It is an addictive game but an MMOG it is NOT.

First of all there are only two maps, a 3v3 and a 5v5 and these maps are a fraction of the size of even the smallest MMORPG map. So clearly there is not much room here to remotely qualify the game as even a themepark world.

Second of all there is a very small persistant element because the main progression of your character is done in 20-60 minute gaming session, which is what it typically takes, to finish a game. The persistant progression is only secondary and act only as a (small) bonus to your character. We are talking in the terms of maybe 5-10% extra damage, speed, resistance etc. Also these abilities that you aquire are also secondary to the abilities of your champion so even those are secondary in nature.

So when it is said that this game has a persistant element, keep in mind that this persistant element is only secondary to the non-persistant one which is wiped after each game.

So this game is NOT massive in the context of Massively Multiplayer Online Game. Not unless you consider Diablo and Warcraft 3 to be massive.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Papadam

Originally posted by waynejr2

My understanding for LOL and HON is they are filled with a horrible community.  So, that is a negative to me.

LoL community have become much better since they implemented the tribunal, best feature ever!

Haven't heard of the tribunal.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119

it's an "accelerated" MMO. u play through the entire cycle of leveling in 45 minutes. what sort of makes it an MMO is the skill trees + rune customization. doesnt really matter what it is...it's hella fun.

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by sonoggi

it's an "accelerated" MMO. u play through the entire cycle of leveling in 45 minutes. what sort of makes it an MMO is the skill trees + rune customization. doesnt really matter what it is...it's hella fun.

Those are examples of things that make it an RPG.  Those are not examples of things that make it an MMO.

I do agree that it's hella fun.

• sanman7890sanman7890 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by servedogg

Those are examples of things that make it an RPG.  Those are not examples of things that make it an MMO.

Having as many players as Dota & HoN & BC & every other Moba combined makes it the most MMOish of the Moba games out at this point in time.  Likewise the persistence of the experience and the growth of your stockpile of Runes and Champions is what gives it more of an MMO feel imo.  

A traditional MMO, not at all, but it is blurring lines if you ask me.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

Its a good game. Since its ftp I would tell everyone to download it.

Originally posted by sanman7890

Originally posted by servedogg

Having as many players as Dota & HoN & BC & every other Moba combined makes it the most MMOish of the Moba games out at this point in time.  Likewise the persistence of the experience and the growth of your stockpile of Runes and Champions is what gives it more of an MMO feel imo.  

A traditional MMO, not at all, but it is blurring lines if you ask me.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then since our definitions of MMO are completely different.  As I stated in one of my previous posts, I believe the Massive part of MMO is used to define the number of concurrent players on a single world/instance, and a max of 10 does not meet that requirement. 

Logically I think that definition makes sense.  If I were wrong and the massively referred to the size of the player base regardless of if they are in the same instance, then pretty much every online game would fit this description and it would be rather redundant to even use both the term massive and online. 

I believe LoL could be defined as an MORPG (without the massive), but its much better defined simply as a MOBA.  Trying to fit LoL into a genre it doesn't belong serves no purpose except to cause confusion.

Either way, LoL is an enormously successful game and has grown and innovated on the MOBA genre as much as the notable predecessors DotA and AoS.

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

Some say LoL is easymode, some has it has awful graphic, some say it sux. LoL is easier at start but later you realy notice whem someone fails, so its a lot about teamplay and right usage of all your skills, also important are summoner skills, wards are a lot important - map control. I like that graphic. :P

And LoL doesnt sux imo, its way better than DOTA. Sure, there is a lot of OP champs, I "whine" about em sometimes in game, but you know what? There is also HUGE diversity of champions, thats why some are op against others. :) LOL FTW! Dreamhack LoL was best gaming experience in online-tv ever.

And yes, I'm huge fan of LoL. xD P.S. Tank and dps has different role, LoL ppl lrn that. (tank player)

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

hahaha, 'a pay to in piece of crap'. what so when i buy a skin itl put fear into the other team and make them dc?

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

OMG, i didnt read the journal. MMO! lol! I mean, laugh out lawd.

Seriously, If LOL can have that title, why not HON too? In every matches, you reset to level 1. So how can you call that mmo? Raising skills after each match is just an excuse,

but we cant still call it mmo or else, even Call of duty, battlefield and plenty of games would also be mmor.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

It's an ok casual game for casual players, but Riot plan to make lol esports game is disgusting.

Look at neutral base of fans (sc2 fans) reacting when quake live got replaced by LoL at IEM. That pretty much sums it all.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=237909

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Going to try League of Legends. :)

• BunkafishBunkafish Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by Tyrantas

It's an ok casual game for casual players, but Riot plan to make lol esports game is disgusting.

Look at neutral base of fans (sc2 fans) reacting when quake live got replaced by LoL at IEM. That pretty much sums it all.

http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/33479-League_of_Legends_breaks_NA_eSports_record

beg to differ, i'm not a person to watch these things. But I play LoL and my brother being an avid SC2 player, told me about that news which made me laugh (cause I always make fun of him watching these esport things - he watches SC2 games and used to watch WoW arenas). 

Anyways most watched NA esport event something like 1.2-1.4 million people watched it. 

Originally posted by Bunkafish

http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/33479-League_of_Legends_breaks_NA_eSports_record

beg to differ, i'm not a person to watch these things. But I play LoL and my brother being an avid SC2 player, told me about that news which made me laugh (cause I always make fun of him watching these esport things - he watches SC2 games and used to watch WoW arenas). 

Anyways most watched NA esport event something like 1.2-1.4 million people watched it. 

The article linked about the record breaking LoL tournament was just the qualifiers for Dreamhack.  The numbers for the actual Dreamhack tournament were much, much larger and shattered their own records set a few weeks before.  At one point over 200k concurrent viewers.

That is a pretty smart move for ESL to add a MOBA to IEM.  MOBAs seem to be the competitive genre that is growing the quickest, and LoL has led that charge. 

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

Originally posted by Bunnyking

Ive been playing the game for a long time, it's great, but the community is one of the worst I've seen in any game. It's rive with flamers, cryers, trolls and generally unpleasant people. It's really the thing that's killing the game for me.

MOBA games always have bad communitys. Out of all of them I would say LoL has the best... best of the worst, but still...

• wfSegwfSeg Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Abdar

More maps please!

And ARAM mode too :)

"I am the harbinger of hope. I am the sword of the righteous. And to all who hear my words, I say this: What you give to this Empire, I shall give back unto you."
    -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

There's no reason to play Lol, you play Hon until Dota 2 comes out and that's all you need. Lol will just dumb you down and you'll have troubles in Dota 2.

• dannydeucedannydeuce Member Posts: 310

DOTA/HON is to boxing as LoL is to mma. 

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

Originally posted by Ephimero

There's no reason to play Lol, you play Hon until Dota 2 comes out and that's all you need. Lol will just dumb you down and you'll have troubles in Dota 2.

Nah, theres reason to play LOL. Casual players who get rocked in DOTA and HON have reason to play LOL. Because it starts you off playing against other complete newbies. If me or any other MOBA veteran play LOL we will be sleeping at our computer racking up 20-30 kills a game trying to get to the competitive scene.

I really wanted to like LOL but HON did everything so much better. If S2Games found a way to give their new players a way to learn the game without getting roflstomped then they would be doing better than LOL. I know that HON is more popular in areas where garena operates it because they operate it as a F2P model.

I recommend anyone who likes MOBA's like LOL give yourself a challenge and pickup a free trial key of HON. However find someone who plays HON and is willing to help you learn the differences.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

so i played dota for a few years and got bored.

tried lol and hon and what can i say:

hon - so yeah it was beta and it was clearly stated - buying the game will give you a shiny name and buying it will be optional. wait what? why you must buy it then? tbh it would be much more popular if it were f2p. at the same time they would earn more money with a smart business model.

gameplay... well a cheap copy of dota unfortunately and i already played that one. its like playing a buggy wow clone after playing wow - whats the point really?

still one of the worst things in that game is the style itself. compared to the always unique fun to watch design of such developers like valve or blizzard... this just looks uninspired and idiotic.

add to that a graphics engine which doesnt fit the genre - everything blends together way too well, effects add too much to clusterfuck and its hard to spot something into the fight.

there is a reason why quake 3 was bright and that wasnt to appeal to kids.

league of legends - was a bit sceptic at first, but it was new, different, felt like playing a new game of the same genre. seriously im enjoying the game and the only bad thing about it is the server quality.

so whats the general result? after playing dota if i were to play hon for a few years and then go to dota 2... it would be playing pretty much the same game for quite a few years.

since i love innovation, new things etc... id say ill be enjoying dota 2 much more without playing a cheapass hon.

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

League of Legends is pretty good. Though the community is terrible, but what game doesn't have a terrible community and I'm not talking about the cliche a player may have joined but the community in general.

However, my big gripe is the massive balance swings that patches bring on. Buff to godhood and nerf into the ground occurs far too often.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

I'd be all over this game if it had a 1vs1 ladder.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

If it's popular it doesn't mean it's good esports game, lol doesn't take any skill compared to real esports games and it's unbalanced. It's popular because it's free and easy to play, not because it's good. You also inflate those numbers.

• sazabisazabi Member UncommonPosts: 389

If it's popular it doesn't mean it's good esports game, lol doesn't take any skill compared to real esports games and it's unbalanced. It's popular because it's free and easy to play, not because it's good. You also inflate those numbers.

any teambased game needs skill. its a battle of strategy you like it or not.

also doesnt matter if its simple or not - we all know CS and Quake series are simple... but does anyone care?

imbalance is your opinion and not neccesarily truth.

• wfSegwfSeg Member Posts: 96

tyrantas, if it's so easy and doesn't take any skill, then you shouldn't have any problem getting to 2000+ ELO amrite? go do it, post a screenie and then maybe your opinion will be valid.

until then, you're nothing but a bitter Hon fan bashing LoL all over mmorpg forums with no data or facts to back up his big mouth. i am serious, all your recent comments relating to lol are just pure bs. no data. no facts.

even better, why don't you write an article or review with some in-depth analysis, and explain what you don't like about LoL? or maybe you can't do it.

"I am the harbinger of hope. I am the sword of the righteous. And to all who hear my words, I say this: What you give to this Empire, I shall give back unto you."
    -Empress Jamyl Sarum I